DOn't know WTF happened

futurej.d.

Re: DOn't know WTF happened

Postby futurej.d. » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:55 pm

rsethi wrote:if it makes u feel any better i took a prep course jumped 17 points..decided to stall on taking the exam now my logic games went from -1 to -10 :/ today sucks.

What prep course did you take?

rsethi

Postby rsethi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 pm

futurej.d. wrote:
rsethi wrote:if it makes u feel any better i took a prep course jumped 17 points..decided to stall on taking the exam now my logic games went from -1 to -10 :/ today sucks.

I took Power Score
I jumped 17 points in a matter of a few weeks

timelysarcasm

Postby timelysarcasm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:true that man, I'm same situation as you i guess..
I'm much better than this filthy son of a bitch of a test

Right. Like you, I'm an URM, but I'm a little older. I have good softs, etc. I don't want to settle for anything less than the schools I was targeting. And if I wait a year, I'll shoot T14.

This is a complete gut punch, but I have to believe things will be okay.

futurej.d.

Postby futurej.d. » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 pm

rsethi wrote:
futurej.d. wrote:

I took Power Score

Damn, no Power Score courses offered where I live. Only Oxford Seminar, Kaplan and Princeton.

rsethi

Postby rsethi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 am

futurej.d. wrote:
rsethi wrote:
futurej.d. wrote:

I took Power Score

Damn, no Power Score courses offered where I live. Only Oxford Seminar, Kaplan and Princeton.

I would go with Oxford Semi the other two are a waste of time.4
Try and searching for testmasters my roomie took that and said it was a great help

futurej.d.

Postby futurej.d. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:02 am

rsethi wrote:I would go with Oxford Semi the other two are a waste of time.4
Try and searching for testmasters my roomie took that and said it was a great help

The Oxford Seminar is only a 3 day course where I live, hahaha. Why do I have to live in such a desolate area...

A 17 point jump is amazing! What was your study schedule like, if you don't mind me asking?

rsethi

Postby rsethi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 am

futurej.d. wrote:

The Oxford Seminar is only a 3 day course where I live, hahaha. Why do I have to live in such a desolate area...

A 17 point jump is amazing! What was your study schedule like, if you don't mind me asking?

It was..unfortunately I lagged on the test date and now my scores dropping

Anyways, what I did was attend class 2 days out of the week
did homework about 3 days out of the week (about 3 hours a day)
I would also do test sections randomly while watching tv or facebooking

I think the thing that helped me the most is that i found the games to be really fun sometimes i would do 4 sections before sleeping

hope that helps!

futurej.d.

Postby futurej.d. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:08 am

rsethi wrote:
futurej.d. wrote:

It was..unfortunately I lagged on the test date and now my scores dropping

Anyways, what I did was attend class 2 days out of the week
did homework about 3 days out of the week (about 3 hours a day)
I would also do test sections randomly while watching tv or facebooking

I think the thing that helped me the most is that i found the games to be really fun sometimes i would do 4 sections before sleeping

hope that helps!

It does, thank you. Congratulations on your score, you deserve it :)

crgrs359

Postby crgrs359 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 am

Amen to the others responding man, I improved from a 153-162, and I felt completely demoralized after my October score. This test, quite frankly, sucks a whole lot, but it can be conquered. I can completely relate to what you're feeling right now, just try and channel it into a path towards revenge as opposed to a concession. If you were PTing in the 160s, you were clearly capable. Best of luck and I'm pulling for you dude.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 am

I totally bombed this, I think I misbubbled RC b/c I usually go -4/-5 and felt great and I missed 15! I was retaking a 163 in October and only got a 161 this time around. I really don't know what happened. I am going to apply with my mediocre 3.54/163 and see if I can maybe nab Fordham PT. Then retake in June regardless.

AshtonB

Postby AshtonB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:24 am

Awww, man, I remember your progress reports. If this was your first time, don't be too discouraged. Just study study study for the June (or Oct) test and wait it out for another cycle.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:25 am

I studied for this ish for a year. It is a miserable experience.

AshtonB wrote:Awww, man, I remember your progress reports. If this was your first time, don't be too discouraged. Just study study study for the June (or Oct) test and wait it out for another cycle.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 am

AshtonB wrote:Awww, man, I remember your progress reports. If this was your first time, don't be too discouraged. Just study study study for the June (or Oct) test and wait it out for another cycle.

thanks man.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 am

The first time I took the LSAT, I scored way under my PT average. This time, I scored a few points above.

The major difference was how relaxed I was for the retake. I knew the location, knew what to expect, got a good night's rest, and treated the day like another PT.

Remember, you can have an average PT of 180, but it doesn't matter unless you perform on game day. You've probably done many, many PTs and so you already know the material. Next time, ramp up the studying a week early, and take a week or at least a few days off to rest. Nerves can, and will, screw you.

Even if your scores on PTs start falling, don't panic. The material isn't going to change magically. If you're like me, you're going to consistently score within a certain range. On test day, the goal is to hit the upper end of that range. Warm up before the exam with half a section of LR and one or two games. Scout the location the day before. Since you've taken it once at a particular location already, you might want to take it there again.

It sucks to retake, but it'll probably pay off in the long run. Good luck, man.

lilpain

Postby lilpain » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:41 am

paulshortys10 wrote:I'm so disappointed in myself. I studied really hard for months and was PT'ing in the 160's...
I got a 154..

I didn't even imagine anything that low.

Not sure what to do now. So burned out with the LSAT...i want to go to law school next fall and might take the test in FEB, or maybe just wait for the next cycle...not sure what to do.

"You lost today kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it..."

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:49 am

Look at employment data for the schools that you would "settle" for. Then look at the data from better schools. That should be all the motivation you need to wait and retake.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:54 am

malibusal wrote:was scoring in the low 170s on prac tests and ended up with a 153!!! that's 10 pts lower than even my first dry test ever. The answer for me was nerves - I couldn't focus on ANY LR bc i was so stressed out. I have no idea how to come back and prevent that from happening again. anyone have thoughts??

Go to the gym before the LSAT. Work out hard.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:29 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:
malibusal wrote:was scoring in the low 170s on prac tests and ended up with a 153!!! that's 10 pts lower than even my first dry test ever. The answer for me was nerves - I couldn't focus on ANY LR bc i was so stressed out. I have no idea how to come back and prevent that from happening again. anyone have thoughts??

Oh yeah, that'll give anyone a 15 point boost lol.

Don't do deadlifts, your back will be destroying you as you hunch over that scantron.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:32 am

Take a year off and retake the LSAT. I know how it feels to put off grad school. I started LS when I was 32. But it's so much sweeter when you get a scholarship.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:

That's what I've been telling OP, but he won't listen. Can you bring some of those grip springs in your ziplock baggy?

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 am

A year is nothing! You are going to be working for the rest of your life, and how often do you think you will be wondering what might have been had you gone to the school of your dreams? It's ridiculous that this test counts for so much, but it does.

I took the LSAT when I was in college many years ago, and got the equivalent of a 179 in today's scoring system. I still didn't get into my top choices because of my gpa. So it goes. My December score was way lower (still good enough to get me into local schools). I am unhappy at the thought of how stupid I've gotten, but that has taken years! Not just one. If I were in my 20s, no question but that I'd study up a storm (I didn't study enough, I have to admit). If it's important to you, it's worth making that effort.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 am

SrLaw wrote:FWIW

I took December 2009 and got a 160. I decided to take a year off and I studied my ass off for October 2010. Again, got a 160. I was crushed and bitterly disappointed. I just retook in December and got a 167.

- Work hard guys and relax. It takes some work, but it can be done.

I had almost this exact same thing happen. It can happen.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 am

JazzOne wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

That's what I've been telling OP, but he won't listen. Can you bring some of those grip springs in your ziplock baggy?

I'm actually really serious. It helped me a lot. I did the same thing before 1L exams and it helped me focus a lot. Endorphins are awesome.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:39 am

Hey, take it from me. I am the epitome of LSAT fail. Hopefully this makes all of you feel better who didn't do as well as you wanted today. I've taken the LSAT times:. was from December 2010. I'm glad I improved, because it means that I'm not completely an idiot and I was just studying the wrong way. I know how you're feeling all too well, though. Because I felt that way after my first, second, and third test.

But my point is this - don't lose heart! If you really want to go to law school, just keep working hard. I'm thinking about another retake cause my 167 won't get me into the schools I want or get me the money I need. But, use your time wisely. Use it to learn more about the field, make connections, figure out exactly what you want to do, etc.
Last edited by kennethellenparcell on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timelysarcasm

Postby timelysarcasm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 am

JazzOne wrote:Take a year off and retake the LSAT. I know how it feels to put off grad school. I started LS when I was 32. But it's so much sweeter when you get a scholarship.

Thank you for posting this. It's been a soul crushing day, and this bit of encouragement means more to me than you'll know. I'm going to channel this misery into an all-out plan for domination for next cycle.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”