DOn't know WTF happened

paulshortys10

DOn't know WTF happened

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm so disappointed in myself. I studied really hard for months and was PT'ing in the 160's...
I got a 154..

I didn't even imagine anything that low.

Not sure what to do now. So burned out with the LSAT...i want to go to law school next fall and might take the test in FEB, or maybe just wait for the next cycle...not sure what to do.

timelysarcasm

Re: DOn't know WTF happened

Postby timelysarcasm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:10 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:I'm so disappointed in myself. I studied really hard for months and was PT'ing in the 160's...
I got a 154..

Not sure what to do now. So burned out with the LSAT...i want to go to law school next fall and might take the test in FEB, or maybe just wait for the next cycle...not sure what to do.

I'm facing a similar decision - I scored significantly lower than my PTs, and I was hoping to apply this cycle. My top choice school is fine with the Feb. test, but honestly, that only leaves me a month to get back on studying and make a pretty good jump. I'd rather take a pitchfork up the arse than have to wait a whole year to apply.

No idea what to do.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:12 pm

yea man same here. I have a 3.4 and am a URM, so with a better score, i can get into a decent school. I don't know what schools i would even begin looking at now.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Don't feel so bad man. Retake and know that this time you know what to do differently, maybe it was a case of the nerves or maybe you didn't take enough practice tests. Either way, retake and spend a year working to get more experience and save money for law school. You'll find yourself in a much better position and likely, considering much better schools than you would have right now.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 pm

glacierfrost wrote:Don't feel so bad man. Retake and know that this time you know what to do differently, maybe it was a case of the nerves or maybe you didn't take enough practice tests. Either way, retake and spend a year working to get more experience and save money for law school. You'll find yourself in a much better position and likely, considering much better schools than you would have right now.

Yea I'm thinking I should just wait a year.. Let all the PT's I took be forgotten(i took like 45 PT's). I fucked up because I didn't concentrate on timing, and by the time of the real thing, I was very hurried and guessed a lot.
The only issue is that I'm 24 already, I'll be 26 by the time I get into law school if I wait.. That's old.

malibusal

Postby malibusal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:26 pm

was scoring in the low 170s on prac tests and ended up with a 153!!! that's 10 pts lower than even my first dry test ever. The answer for me was nerves - I couldn't focus on ANY LR bc i was so stressed out. I have no idea how to come back and prevent that from happening again. anyone have thoughts??

timelysarcasm

Postby timelysarcasm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Don't feel so bad man. Retake and know that this time you know what to do differently, maybe it was a case of the nerves or maybe you didn't take enough practice tests. Either way, retake and spend a year working to get more experience and save money for law school. You'll find yourself in a much better position and likely, considering much better schools than you would have right now.

Yea I'm thinking I should just wait a year.. Let all the PT's I took be forgotten(i took like 45 PT's). I fucked up because I didn't concentrate on timing, and by the time of the real thing, I was very hurried and guessed a lot.
The only issue is that I'm 24 already, I'll be 26 by the time I get into law school if I wait.. That's old.

If it makes you feel better, I'm older than you are. I really don't want to wait because I'm not sure what I'll do for a year, but I am also trying to convince myself it's only one single year.

mm12

Postby mm12 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 pm

I am also considering retaking the lsat. However, I feel burned out and sick of it too!

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:37 pm

FWIW

I took December 2009 and got a 160. I decided to take a year off and I studied my ass off for October 2010. Again, got a 160. I was crushed and bitterly disappointed. I just retook in December and got a 167.

- Work hard guys and relax. It takes some work, but it can be done.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:I'm so disappointed in myself. I studied really hard for months and was PT'ing in the 160's...
I got a 154..

Wait, relax for a time, get over it, and then dust yourself off and start studying for the June or October test for the next cycle.

That's my advice, anyway. Nothing wrong with waiting for a year to see if you can improve your scores substantially.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I wouldn't rush, especially if you don't want to settle. Try for your target schools next cycle. Apply for a school for the heck-of-it this cycle to see how it goes.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:46 pm

I got a 154..

I remember your posts and blog from before the test.

You will be at a massive disadvantage if you use this year's Feb test for this year's cycle. If you want the equivalent of a 2 point LSAT boost right off the bat, don't shoot yourself in the foot by applying that late in the cycle. And Feb is a month away, you don't have time to prepare for that. I think the June LSAT is the best bet.

If you really want to know what happened, the problem was that you gave yourself a little extra time with the sections, if I remember. The difference between 35 and 37 minutes is huge. If you give yourself an extra two minutes on average in each section, that let's you usually get an extra 1 or 2 questions correct, we'll say. Over four sections, that's 6 points. So if on average you gave yourself 2 minutes extra, all of your PT's would be 6 raw score points rosier than the real deal. That plus the typical 2-5 point score drop that you'd expect from a first real test attempt, and that was the problem. But you've got plenty of time between now and June. From now on on all your PT's, drop the pencil at 35 minutes. If you didn't transfer an answer in time, don't cut yourself slack. Wrong is wrong. Use the clock honestly.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:58 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
I got a 154..

I remember your posts and blog from before the test.

You will be at a massive disadvantage if you use this year's Feb test for this year's cycle. If you want the equivalent of a 2 point LSAT boost right off the bat, don't shoot yourself in the foot by applying that late in the cycle. And Feb is a month away, you don't have time to prepare for that. I think the June LSAT is the best bet.

If you really want to know what happened, the problem was that you gave yourself a little extra time with the sections, if I remember. The difference between 35 and 37 minutes is huge. If you give yourself an extra two minutes on average in each section, that let's you usually get an extra 1 or 2 questions correct, we'll say. Over four sections, that's 6 points. So if on average you gave yourself 2 minutes extra, all of your PT's would be 6 raw score points rosier than the real deal. That plus the typical 2-5 point score drop that you'd expect from a first real test attempt, and that was the problem. But you've got plenty of time between now and June. From now on on all your PT's, drop the pencil at 35 minutes. If you didn't transfer an answer in time, don't cut yourself slack. Wrong is wrong. Use the clock honestly.

You're right man...that was my mistake and you warned me about it. In DEC i tried to make up for what i expected to be timing issues by rushing through questions and pretty much guessing on many. that's why i missed -40. I won't make that mistake again.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:02 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:

it's really not that old! I'll be 28(ug) I think it's a question of do you want to go wherever you can get into now, or do you want to wait a year and go somewhere awesome? there are a lot of things you could do in a year

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm

I feel your pain. Very disappointed with my score.
Last edited by equalityLaw10 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:15 pm

I got a 154..

1. Study
2. ????
3. 154

timelysarcasm

Postby timelysarcasm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 pm

I am leaning toward applying next cycle. I might as well shoot high and go for the $, rather than be hoping someone takes me. I'm too smart not to be able to nail this filthy sl*t of a test.

I will use this year to make my application and credentials outstanding, and try not to worry about being a year older and any of that other BS. The truth is, we'll be working for a long time, so a year doesn't mean anything except a little more struggle. I really wanted to apply in October/November anyway.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 pm

mala2 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:

it's really not that old! I'll be 28(ug) I think it's a question of do you want to go wherever you can get into now, or do you want to wait a year and go somewhere awesome? there are a lot of things you could do in a year

I don't want to settle. I would rather give it my all and almost die trying, than to settle for some mediocre school.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 pm

timelysarcasm wrote:I am leaning toward applying next cycle. I might as well shoot high and go for the $, rather than be hoping someone takes me. I'm too smart not to be able to nail this filthy sl*t of a test.

I will use this year to make my application and credentials outstanding, and try not to worry about being a year older and any of that other BS. The truth is, we'll be working for a long time, so a year doesn't mean anything except a little more struggle. I really wanted to apply in October/November anyway.

true that man, I'm same situation as you i guess..
I'm much better than this filthy son of a bitch of a test

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:26 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
timelysarcasm wrote:I am leaning toward applying next cycle. I might as well shoot high and go for the $, rather than be hoping someone takes me. I'm too smart not to be able to nail this filthy sl*t of a test.

true that man, I'm same situation as you i guess..
I'm much better than this filthy son of a bitch of a test

Ironically, it seems that that was your 180th post.

EDIT: Proof...:

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
mala2 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:

I don't want to settle. I would rather give it my all and almost die trying, than to settle for some mediocre school.

I would be very interested in watching someone almost die from the LSAT. It's a killer test, but it's not actually a killer test.

Anyway, it looks like you've already identified your problem. Simulate real test conditions as best as possible (including rigid timing) in your prep. You'll be ok.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

dust yourself off, take some time off and study for the june test. You are not old for law school. I will be 27 when i start classes in the fall as a 1L. You dont want to rush this, and it takes time to digest the score and figure out what went wrong. Your application will be much more competitive if you apply early next cycle, as compared to being complete at the end of february. Maybe you need to take a break from prep for a bit, enjoy life and then start prepping in mid february. Dont look at the pdf anymore until next week. then figure out the question types and location ( first section, last section, beginning middle or end of section, first game / passage you did, or last game / passage) in the test to see where you need to improve.

waiting another year is not the end of the world. This test is a huge part of the process, and should not be rushed.

best of luck! while it sucks now and you might not think so, you will be fine

you_were_driving

Postby you_were_driving » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Don't give up hope. I had a 15 point jump from june to december. This was my third shot and was pretty much all or nothing. I don't have the statistics on hand but from what I recall people rarely make the kind of increases that I made, but the fact that I did it means that it IS possible.

rsethi

Postby rsethi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 pm

if it makes u feel any better i took a prep course jumped 17 points..decided to stall on taking the exam now my logic games went from -1 to -10 :/ today sucks.

futurej.d.

Postby futurej.d. » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:55 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:

Not too happy with my LSAT score either and I'm in the same boat as you and am the same age. I'm going to be re-taking but I'm not going to be mentally ready to re-take in February, just too exhausted from everything.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”