Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby JD=Doctor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 pm

....Still waiting in Cali...

mikeman
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby mikeman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Still waiting up in Canada

victer100
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby victer100 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:11 pm

still waiting in New Jersey

jj821
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 3:24 am

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby jj821 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 pm

still waiting in nyc

JD=Doctor
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby JD=Doctor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 am

out > not very happy. no way we had a -14 curve
Last edited by JD=Doctor on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby justadude55 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:08 am

the sabbath test always gets boned.

User avatar
BrightLine
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby BrightLine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 am

justadude55 wrote:the sabbath test always gets boned.



How so?

iiifly
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby iiifly » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 pm

If the curve is based on only those folks who are taking the Monday administration, I would say that it's worth violating the sabbath. Therefore, it's not so smart for you smart people to insist on Monday. I understand that once you insist on taking it on Monday once, that's it. You can't recant your beliefs and take it on a saturday the next time.

User avatar
BrightLine
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby BrightLine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 pm

iiifly wrote:If the curve is based on only those folks who are taking the Monday administration, I would say that it's worth violating the sabbath. Therefore, it's not so smart for you smart people to insist on Monday. I understand that once you insist on taking it on Monday once, that's it. You can't recant your beliefs and take it on a Saturday the next time.


It think it would be difficult to be wrong more times in such a short amount of than you just pulled of right there.

1) There is no "Curve". The LSAT uses test equating

2) The sabbath observer test like the regular one as well as the international one have a predetermined scale before the score is ever given and they are independent of one another

3) Even if the curve, which doesn't exist is based on the Monday administration, which its not, then it still doesn't follow that its not smart to insist on taking it Monday. Essentially, in your hypothetical LSAT world it would be a risk. If Monday's test was easy and thus a low curve then taking the Sabbath test is a disadvantage. If it is hard then there is a high curve and taking the Saturday test would be advantageous.

4) Who the hell are you to tell people "it's worth violating the sabbath"?


"it's not so smart for you smart people"

That line is what it is. I am not going to comment on it, only bold it and let others form a judgment as to what you meant.

aero88
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby aero88 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:17 pm

...
Last edited by aero88 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby justadude55 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Sabbath gets hurt because:

1.) Lesser testing accommodations. Centers sometimes have 2 people with 2 proctors which means you have proctors physically looking at you the entire test. It makes it harder to do your job when someone is watching you the entire time. Also, sometimes they shove them in an overcrowded room when classes are going on, meaning there's a multitude of background noise others do not need to deal with.

2.) Old exams: you cannot even predict the layout. Some tests have the old 2 questions per stimulus type, some have only 1. The whole master the most recent 20 tests philosophy does not apply to Sabbath test takers. They must master all 61.

3.) No score release. You never know your problem areas if you retake.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby justadude55 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:18 pm

iiifly wrote:If the curve is based on only those folks who are taking the Monday administration, I would say that it's worth violating the sabbath. Therefore, it's not so smart for you smart people to insist on Monday. I understand that once you insist on taking it on Monday once, that's it. You can't recant your beliefs and take it on a saturday the next time.

I believe it's mostly predetermined off of the experimental performances or the Feb test it showed up, but am not sure.

I agree it is worth violating the Sabbath unless you are deeply religious.

Most people who take the LSAT are smart, but Jewish people are disproportionately represented at both top universities and law schools in relation to their population in the US as a whole. This is because for whatever reason, on average, their standardized testing results are higher. On a curve based test like the LSAT by being Jewish, you are pitting yourself against a population that tends to, however slightly, perform better than the national average.

User avatar
BrightLine
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby BrightLine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:44 pm

justadude55 wrote:
iiifly wrote:If the curve is based on only those folks who are taking the Monday administration, I would say that it's worth violating the sabbath. Therefore, it's not so smart for you smart people to insist on Monday. I understand that once you insist on taking it on Monday once, that's it. You can't recant your beliefs and take it on a saturday the next time.

I believe it's mostly predetermined off of the experimental performances or the Feb test it showed up, but am not sure.

I agree it is worth violating the Sabbath unless you are deeply religious.

Most people who take the LSAT are smart, but Jewish people are disproportionately represented at both top universities and law schools in relation to their population in the US as a whole. This is because for whatever reason, on average, their standardized testing results are higher. On a curve based test like the LSAT by being Jewish, you are pitting yourself against a population that tends to, however slightly, perform better than the national average.



I am not touching a certain part of that on purpose.


First you say, correctly, that the test is judged against the way it was taken as an experimental. Yet you somehow conclude that " it is worth violating the Sabbath unless you are deeply religious" because "you are pitting yourself against a population that tends to, however slightly, perform better than the national average."


Do you understand that your first paragraph contradicts the second?

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby justadude55 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:04 pm

I understand. I might not have been clear.

I believe that they weigh both the previous performance as well as that day's performance.

I don't believe they release their methodology though so correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that thanks to the internet, you can see how the national average felt about your test by searching in what the game subjects were, which is one advantage the Sabbath has. You can generally predict the curve to some extent.

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 pm

justadude55 wrote:I don't believe they release their methodology though so correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that thanks to the internet, you can see how the national average felt about your test by searching in what the game subjects were, which is one advantage the Sabbath has. You can generally predict the curve to some extent.


You are wrong. As Brightline pointed out, quite clearly, the so called curve is predetermined. There is no "Jewish curve," no "Sabbath curve," just a scaled score based on previous experimental questions which may or may not have been tested on a Saturday.

FWIW, Sabbath-Observers are able to take the June test with everyone else, as the test isn't on a Saturday.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Any Sabbath (Monday) test takes get there scores yet?

Postby delusional » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:44 am

justadude55 wrote:This is because for whatever reason, on average, their standardized testing results are higher.

I don't know if this data is available for the LSAT (I assume it's not). But it stands to reason that performance overall is higher on the Sabbath test, because you don't take the Sabbath test on a whim. The regular test is administered at a huge number of colleges, which is immediately convenient to 98% of college students, and thus, also is more accessible to everyone else. Thinking of taking the LSAT? What the hell, sign up, it's down the block.

The Sabbath test locations are fewer and further between. People have to make arrangements to sleep nearby, or to drive a long distance at 5:30 am. That weeds out the non-committal testers, and thus, it would make sense if the average score would be higher. The only thing that would be affected, though, is percentile, because the test is pre-equated. On the higher end, people would be helped by the percentile - there may not be enough people to create a meaningful sample size. In the middle, one's percentile would be hurt by the greater proportion of prepared test takers.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests