ADD and not sure what to do...

1234543523

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby 1234543523 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:59 pm

All ADD Threads wrote:
OP: Hey, I have ADD, how should I approach this test?

People With ADD: Useful advice about how to succeed on the LSAT and in law school.

Douchebag 1: Nonsequitur about how people with ADD can't go to law school.

Douchebag 2: Nonsequitur about how ADD is fake.


Douchebaggery is more preclusive to reading comprehension and logical reasoning than ADD is.

User avatar
nonpareilpearl
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby nonpareilpearl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:51 am

I just wanted to thank everyone for all your responses :D

I am working on the note taking to see if that helps hone me in on the passage. I've also tried scanning the questions for any obvious references to the passage (line numbers or paragraphs) so I can answer those questions while I'm reading the passage as opposed to after. This seems to help a little bit. I tried it for the first time today and I only lost two questions due to going over time and my accuracy improved because I felt less rushed overall. I think a combination of these two things could really, really help.

I've gone through the LGB for the LG section, but I still have a really, really hard time staying under time for that particular section (significantly more so than the others). Do you guys have any advice for this section? Right now I'm just focusing on drilling questions and doing them over and over again to try and up my time (of course once a question is done it's not "new" anymore, but one step at a time I guess).

Thanks again :D :D

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:33 am

Teoeo wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Look as hard as it is to believe and as much as people want to deny it, LSAT is a measure of law school ability and both LSAT and law school ability are a measure of attorney success. Sure there are people who beat the odds at all levels but for the vast majority of people, bad LSAT = bad law school experience = lousy professional experience. There are also many people who did poorly on the LSAT and had lousy law school experiences who excel at mediocre attorney jobs that are not particularly challenging and do not involve a lot of thought. While it may not be true that good LSAT guarantees success at any level, we are trying to help the OP, who is complaining that he/she has trouble focusing on the admissions test because of flickering lights and a dog barking somewhere outside the test room. My advice is not to drop a hundred grand if these most basic of issues are going to be such a negative draw on test performance. My advice is to find something that suits his/her particular skill set. But go ahead and push law school for ADHD kids all you want. Seems like it is the obvious choice.



This is an incredibly simplified view of things. You really should be careful not to give advice unless you actually know something about an issue. Anyone who reads your comment can instantly tell that you are a 0L that doesn't know what he is talking about.


Do you have constructive advice to provide or you just want to make personal attacks?

1234543523

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby 1234543523 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

MrAnon wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Look as hard as it is to believe and as much as people want to deny it, LSAT is a measure of law school ability and both LSAT and law school ability are a measure of attorney success. Sure there are people who beat the odds at all levels but for the vast majority of people, bad LSAT = bad law school experience = lousy professional experience. There are also many people who did poorly on the LSAT and had lousy law school experiences who excel at mediocre attorney jobs that are not particularly challenging and do not involve a lot of thought. While it may not be true that good LSAT guarantees success at any level, we are trying to help the OP, who is complaining that he/she has trouble focusing on the admissions test because of flickering lights and a dog barking somewhere outside the test room. My advice is not to drop a hundred grand if these most basic of issues are going to be such a negative draw on test performance. My advice is to find something that suits his/her particular skill set. But go ahead and push law school for ADHD kids all you want. Seems like it is the obvious choice.



This is an incredibly simplified view of things. You really should be careful not to give advice unless you actually know something about an issue. Anyone who reads your comment can instantly tell that you are a 0L that doesn't know what he is talking about.


Do you have constructive advice to provide or you just want to make personal attacks?


His advice was constructive.

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 am

MrAnon wrote:why do you want to go to law school so badly if you are having all these problems with the admissions test? This is only the beginning. Why not find a profession you are better suited toward? There are things you can do that capture your attention constantly. Police office might be one. Embarking on a career where you sit at your desk 99% of the time seems like a recipe for disaster.



What is with people reading one paragraph and giving such heavy advice? OP, speak with a doctor, not 0L's on TLS.

fosterp
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09 am

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby fosterp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 am

Just saying, most everyone on this forum would say they can score a lot better with an extra five minutes in each section. That fact is not significant in fixing your ADD problem.

If your having trouble concentrating on RC, try forcing your brains to work together by imagining a scenario in your head that encompasses what you are reading - rather than just read the words off the page. High concentration on reading material requires both brains to focus, however the "drifting off" and having to reread is the result of the other side of your brain focusing on something else (noise, other ideas, etc). Drawing a picture in your mind of what you are reading keeps that side of the brain on a leash and prevents it from drifting.

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:38 am

I studied ADHD a bit when I was getting my ed. degree and stumbled upon some treatment that involves a form of bio-feedback. The person would be hooked up to a game and when he exhibited certain brain waves (theta?) that were associated with focused thought, the game progressed. People would get better as they played this game, and would become able to focus more. I'm afraid I don't recall the name of the program (some schools use it), but I'm sure you could find it pretty easily.

As for the students that I work with who suffer from attention issues, we do increasingly long timed sets of problems, building up their stamina.

I agree with visualization, though I find that more useful for LR than RC. For RC, we teach an active reading approach (the scale) that seems to help keep people in the game.

For anxiety (and I only mention this because some people reading this might be suffering from anxiety and self-diagnosing themselves with ADD), I've seen students make improvements using beta blockers, which more or less disconnect mental anxiety from the physical reactions we usually have (i.e. you get nervous but your heart doesn't start racing and make you more nervous). A doctor would have to say if that's appropriate for you.

Good luck!

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:40 am

MrAnon wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Look as hard as it is to believe and as much as people want to deny it, LSAT is a measure of law school ability and both LSAT and law school ability are a measure of attorney success. Sure there are people who beat the odds at all levels but for the vast majority of people, bad LSAT = bad law school experience = lousy professional experience. There are also many people who did poorly on the LSAT and had lousy law school experiences who excel at mediocre attorney jobs that are not particularly challenging and do not involve a lot of thought. While it may not be true that good LSAT guarantees success at any level, we are trying to help the OP, who is complaining that he/she has trouble focusing on the admissions test because of flickering lights and a dog barking somewhere outside the test room. My advice is not to drop a hundred grand if these most basic of issues are going to be such a negative draw on test performance. My advice is to find something that suits his/her particular skill set. But go ahead and push law school for ADHD kids all you want. Seems like it is the obvious choice.



This is an incredibly simplified view of things. You really should be careful not to give advice unless you actually know something about an issue. Anyone who reads your comment can instantly tell that you are a 0L that doesn't know what he is talking about.


Do you have constructive advice to provide or you just want to make personal attacks?


HTH

User avatar
oscodasa
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby oscodasa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:57 am

I'm sorry if I missed this, but are you on medication?

I have ADD myself and was on medication throughout most of undergrad. I stopped taking it after college for personal reasons and was adamant about not taking it when prepping for the LSAT the first time around. It was a huge mistake and I deeply regret it. After seeing my first score, I decided to retake the exam and go back on medication to help my efforts. The change was astronomical and I didn't realize until then how much of a difference my medication truly made, especially when prepping and "getting" the material. In fact, when PTing without medication, I never broke 164; as soon as I went back on medication, I hit 171, never fell below 167, and hit as high as 174. I was so stubborn initially in getting through the test without medication and in hindsight I really wish I had just bit the bullet and realized that I needed help in that area. If you're not on medication, I truly believe you're doing yourself a disservice by not doing everything in your power to help compensate for your disorder.

Something else that I did that was a huge help to me was locking myself in the library, specifically at a desk on the silent floor with blinders so I couldn't be distracted. I kept my phone out only to use as a timer and put it away all other times. Towards the end of my studying, I had my boyfriend drive me to the library so I would be "stuck" there and wouldn't be tempted to go home and play with my amazingly distracting puppy.

I feel your pain on RC; it was my worst too and I truly believe it's the hardest for people with ADD to master. I started out missing about 1/3 of these questions on PTs and wound up missing 3-5/section towards the end of my studying. However, I was able to make the biggest improvement on my score my improving my understanding of LR, which helped the most. Even if you don't master RC (which you should absolutely try to do no matter what) you can make enough of an improvement in other areas to make up for it.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if I can be of any more help.

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby TyrodTaylor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:30 am

annd i got a 167. And I am severely ADHD, and did not even finish some sections. Make the test work for you, good luck

Camelasky
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby Camelasky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:41 am

I know I'm pretty new here, but as someone who also suffers from ADD, I felt I might chime in.

First and foremost, medication helps - and this coming from the kind of person that doesn't take his meds everyday. I don't really need to, for the most part. Daily life I handle just fine. But the fact of the matter is that whether you have a learning disability, or you have add, or are just an average joe, medication can do wonders for concentration and attention span.

I've also heard that both tea and dark chocolate are excellent for boosting brain power.

If you're having trouble with LG, what I did to get my time down was time myself on individual games. 35 minutes / 4 games = 8 minutes 40 seconds per game. Try to do one game, any game, in 8 minutes. Then 7:45. Then 7:30, so on and so forth. The whole section is designed to not give you enough time to complete it, so the trick is to get really fast as easy games like pure sequencing so you have time for the harder ones later.

rsethi
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby rsethi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 pm

ADD sucks for LSATs... i have it too
If your diagnosed use your meds!! best advice
other than that

LR: just try to keep your mind in the game..its a short passage so it shouldnt be too hard to retain (although i still have a problem with this section)

RC: annotate!! Also try finding something interesting with the passage

AR: I feel like people with ADD usually do good on this section..if your doing poorly i suggest thinking of this section as a puzzle and then solving it

your mental state always influences how you will do. if ADD is your set back then going in with a positive outlook/thinking the test is a game makes up for this set back

goodluck (:

User avatar
joebloe
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby joebloe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:I studied ADHD a bit when I was getting my ed. degree and stumbled upon some treatment that involves a form of bio-feedback. The person would be hooked up to a game and when he exhibited certain brain waves (theta?) that were associated with focused thought, the game progressed. People would get better as they played this game, and would become able to focus more. I'm afraid I don't recall the name of the program (some schools use it), but I'm sure you could find it pretty easily.

As for the students that I work with who suffer from attention issues, we do increasingly long timed sets of problems, building up their stamina.

I agree with visualization, though I find that more useful for LR than RC. For RC, we teach an active reading approach (the scale) that seems to help keep people in the game.

For anxiety (and I only mention this because some people reading this might be suffering from anxiety and self-diagnosing themselves with ADD), I've seen students make improvements using beta blockers, which more or less disconnect mental anxiety from the physical reactions we usually have (i.e. you get nervous but your heart doesn't start racing and make you more nervous). A doctor would have to say if that's appropriate for you.

Good luck!


I am not a lawyer, doctor or insurance rep, but I can say that if you're going to try biofeedback you're going to be paying out of pocket. Several insurance companies have specific policies saying EEG biofeedback/neurobiofeedback are experimental and thus not covered. As good as certain types of biofeedback can be for some conditions (migraines, fecal incontinence), there are still a lot of research questions. I strongly suggest to anyone considering these procedures that you consult with a reputable, neutral doctor first.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:38 pm

3|ink wrote:
MrAnon wrote:why do you want to go to law school so badly if you are having all these problems with the admissions test? This is only the beginning. Why not find a profession you are better suited toward? There are things you can do that capture your attention constantly. Police office might be one. Embarking on a career where you sit at your desk 99% of the time seems like a recipe for disaster.

This was a fucking stupid response.

OP - Just read a lot. I have ADHD and that is how I am preparing for law school. I'm not sure if ADHD affected my score, but it may have. I scored well below my best, but most people have that problem.



Yes - read a lot. I actually started reading each passage and stimulus instead of... uh... just looking at the words in their given order on the page (?). I've always been a heavy reader, but I really struggled with the LSAT when I first started studying for it. Simply looking for logical constructions and underlining key terms would put me to sleep because it would suck the life out of the test. I became passionate about the LSAT once I started treating the content of the test like anything else I had ever read. A boring passage about a rare mineral from an asteroid that may have killed the dinosaurs became awesome once I started picturing the earth being rocked by the impact, with thousands upon thousands of animals fleeing for their pathetic little lives as the ground beneath their feet cracked open and the sky became a sickening shade of gray. A stimulus from the LR section about the importance of a university's philosophy department became entertaining when I imagined the speaker to be a wild-eyed, pipe-smoking professor who seemed to wear the same brown suit everyday of the week.

As far as games go, do every single LG section available. They become fun overtime as well.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: ADD and not sure what to do...

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Jeffort wrote:To the OP and anyone that is or thinks they are ADD/ADHD, check out:

http://www.addforums.com/

There is a TON of information and resources there as well as thousands of ADD/ADHD members that regularly (and sometimes obsessively - duh, ADD/ADHD crowd) post about their experiences. It will surely give you a much better perspective and much better input about dealing with the condition than you will get here from a bunch of hyperactive super competitive overachiever 0L's who think they know everything and want to argue everything until the cows come home.

That forum has a much more 'supportive', less argumentative and competitive spirit to it than you will find in a pre-law/law school forum since its focus is not on competing against other members, but rather is about sharing with, supporting and helping other similarly situated people through the journey.


That site is very helpful.


noname12345 wrote:WOW... Betasteve, with 15,000 posts you have way too much time on your hands. Do you post on the TLS forums all day?
How about you find something more constructive to do with your time instead of arguing with others on forums.
.... LOL.... how the heck do you accumulate 15,000 posts..... I think it's safe to assume that you have no life and you are a sad lonely human being. :)


Cool ad hominem, bro, but betasteve is a TLS moderator. A high post count is expected.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrainsyK and 5 guests