Non-Trads Seeking Advice

NickiGrace

Non-Trads Seeking Advice

Postby NickiGrace » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Non-trad seeking advice from other non-trads and traditional students alike. I will be WAITING for a while b/f I apply, as I don't "graduate" until next DECEMBER, but any advice, random stories, or input of any nature would be appreciated.

NickiGrace

Re: Non-Trads Seeking Advice

Postby NickiGrace » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 pm

betasteve wrote:
NickiGrace wrote:Non-trad seeking advice from other non-trads and traditional students alike. I will be WAITING for a while b/f I apply, as I don't "graduate" until next DECEMBER, but any advice, random stories, or input of any nature would be appreciated.

There have generally been some good discussions in the URM forum, here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=14 I'd do a search there, or repost your question.

Thank you. Why is your name purple whilst mine is black?

NickiGrace

Postby NickiGrace » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 pm

betasteve wrote:
NickiGrace wrote:
betasteve wrote:
NickiGrace wrote:Non-trad seeking advice from other non-trads and traditional students alike. I will be WAITING for a while b/f I apply, as I don't "graduate" until next DECEMBER, but any advice, random stories, or input of any nature would be appreciated.

There have generally been some good discussions in the URM forum, here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=14 I'd do a search there, or repost your question.

Thank you. Why is your name purple whilst mine is black?

I'm a moderator. That, and I wear purple really well.

Well, then..thank you, again. My daughter's favorite color is purple and not just anyone can pull it off. :wink:

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Although short, this thread got weird fast.

But to answer the original question, since you have the time, start prepping for the LSAT now and really absorb and familiarize yourself with the test, take the test in June and apply at the beginning of next cycle. Profit.

NickiGrace

Postby NickiGrace » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Although short, this thread got weird fast.

But to answer the original question, since you have the time, start prepping for the LSAT now and really absorb and familiarize yourself with the test, take the test in June and apply at the beginning of next cycle. Profit.

I took it in December b/c I'm ahead of the game like that...and who you calling wierd? J/K! Thanks! I'm looking for all the support I can get!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:00 am

NickiGrace wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Although short, this thread got weird fast.

I took it in December b/c I'm ahead of the game like that...and who you calling wierd? J/K! Thanks! I'm looking for all the support I can get!

Oh, then let me be the first on the TLS community to say "retake"

I kid, i kid.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:22 am

I believe you're saying your non-traditional because you're older, married, and a parent, correct? If I am wrong, forgive me.

Just as another TLS lurker, I can offer that from personal statements I've read, the best older candidates have a great sense of humor, don't self-consciously highlight their age, and have respect for people of all ages.

The worst ones to be point out how they do not fit with other candidates, probably accidentally think they are doing themselves the favor of highlighting diversity. A few essays come across like the candidate struggles to relate to the majority of the student body. That is to say, it's the difference between, "I'm not 23 anymore and don't make stupid mistakes and know what I want from life," versus, "I am a mom of three kids and haven't had a day off in 15 years, so I'm grateful to have a second chance at law school."

I've read your posts and think you're really funny, respectful, and fit in well with the "traditional" applicant. I think you should play into how being a busy mom taught you respect for people of all ages and how being an older student made you appreciate and relate to people of all ages, and that you're looking forward to doing the same in law school. Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 am

Apply EARLY. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”