June 2011 Study Group

Strange

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Strange » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Those of you doing Pithys study guide, are you doing anything in addition to his recommended schedule to improve LR? I've only taken one diagnostic, but I got -9 and -7 on my LR questions. I took another PT untimed and did almost as poorly. Wondering if I should be doing anything besides knocking out 12-15 LR's a day on Kaplan Mastery like Pithy suggests. I'm excellent at RC, and I think I can really do well at LG after a lot of practice, but LR worries me. Seems like I have trouble focusing.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:52 pm

Untimed PTs are a waste of time dude

Get the LR and LG bibles

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:46 am

dr123 wrote:Untimed PTs are a waste of time dude

Get the LR and LG bibles

not always a waste of time. In the very beginning of LSAT studying (first-timers only, not retakers), these can actually help.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 am

Well, if Strange is missing 7-9 per section of LR, then there is no reason to be trying to drill time in right now. I wouldn continue to attack the PT's untimed, while working through the LR Bible or something like that. Look at the questions you miss and figure out not only what is the correct response, but why it is correct and why the one you selected isn't.

I was missing 7-10 or so per LR section, and after this method, I'm on average missing 3-5 right now in each LR section, which is a huge improvement. Initially I tried to cram the time factor in there, but if you don't know why you're missing what you're missing, then what good is it gonna do you to do it fast?

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 pm

are you guys doing anything to prepare for the supposed jump in difficulty in the newer preptests? i've been reading on the forums that the more recent tests have been more difficult, but i've had some difficulty in figuring out why that is exactly. pretty much all i've seen is that reading comp has become more detail-oriented and that LR has become more "subtle", at least in the difficult questions. just wondering if there's anything else to do besides practice practice practice and reviewing? thanks

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:35 pm

are you guys doing anything to prepare for the supposed jump in difficulty in the newer preptests?

:shock: Now I'm scared. Please tell me games don't get harder.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Well, the more recent preptest, since 50 or so have definitely become harder. Some of the difficult LR questions have more attractive wrong answer, and for me at least, I used to be able to rule our 3 for sure and decide between 2; now sometimes I can only eliminate 2 and have to decide between 3 choices. Often it comes down to being language specific. Nothing you can't beat, but it does take more preperation that would the older preptest.

As for RC, the comparative passage can sometimes be tricky, but it's not that bad, at least for me.

LG appear to be similair, some easy, some hard, some ridiculous with the time constraints.

Just my .02

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Well, if Strange is missing 7-9 per section of LR, then there is no reason to be trying to drill time in right now. I wouldn continue to attack the PT's untimed, while working through the LR Bible or something like that. Look at the questions you miss and figure out not only what is the correct response, but why it is correct and why the one you selected isn't.

I was missing 7-10 or so per LR section, and after this method, I'm on average missing 3-5 right now in each LR section, which is a huge improvement. Initially I tried to cram the time factor in there, but if you don't know why you're missing what you're missing, then what good is it gonna do you to do it fast?

Thanks, I have the LR Bible and Im working through the sections outlined on Pithys guide (Im about to start Flaw) then doing the corresponding questions in Kaplan Mastery. Hoping I improve on this because it has me a little worried.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Just finished PT 58 (Sept 09). I went -8, but surprisingly -4 were in LG, which is usually my best section (-2 LR and -2 RC). I was running short on time so for 3 of those missed LG questions, I had it narrowed down and just picked one. And, the other was a stupid mistake. If I can make sure to time myself better on the LGs, and keep myself where I am in LR and RC, then I think I'll meet my goal for this test.

I'm actually starting to get nervous now, because the goal I set isn't some crazy impractical number, but a realistic possibility. I don't want to choke.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm ready for a weekend break from everything. lol. I've probably spent 30 hours this week looking over LSAT stuff, and my brain is fried from it all.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:I'm ready for a weekend break from everything. lol. I've probably spent 30 hours this week looking over LSAT stuff, and my brain is fried from it all.

Yeah I hear ya. I'm just going to focus on working through a few games today since I want to take a PT this weekend.
If anyone wants some games practice, I'll be in the room working through some older relevant games that I have in a pile on my desk for an hour or two.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:10 am

PT 18 LG 3 & 4 - ew

Olive

Postby Olive » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:27 am

Could someone explain PT 11 Section 4, #19? I have the Kaplan explanation, but I am just not understanding this question or the Kaplan explanation. Thanks in advance.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:45 am

Olive wrote:Could someone explain PT 11 Section 4, #19? I have the Kaplan explanation, but I am just not understanding this question or the Kaplan explanation. Thanks in advance.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q19-the-proposal-to-extend-t859.html?sid=7e1d48a21f184c1b5987c6cbe4d8998f

jim-green

TLS gunning

Postby jim-green » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm fairly new to TLS and have seen a few posts that said, "I was aiming for a 170 but TLS gunning helped me reach a 176," or "I got pulled in by TLS gunning and studied harder." What do they really mean? To get motivated from TLS gunning, should I be reading every post on this thread (June 2001) or joining some specific thread they are refering to that I am unaware of? Or read all the new posts on TLS? I don't have a lot of time left over from LSAT prep and work but would love to connect and get some motivation. (I'm being serious here, not a troll, just a little new to TLS and wondered what they meant by "TLS gunning").

WhatSarahSaid

Re: TLS gunning

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:40 pm

jim-green wrote:I'm fairly new to TLS and have seen a few posts that said, "I was aiming for a 170 but TLS gunning helped me reach a 176," or "I got pulled in by TLS gunning and studied harder." What do they really mean? To get motivated from TLS gunning, should I be reading every post on this thread (June 2001) or joining some specific thread they are refering to that I am unaware of? Or read all the new posts on TLS? I don't have a lot of time left over from LSAT prep and work but would love to connect and get some motivation. (I'm being serious here, not a troll, just a little new to TLS and wondered what they meant by "TLS gunning").

There's tons of advice all around these forums on how to prep for the LSAT, and it's worth reading through. There are some major threads that are referred to for specific month-by-month plans, which you should be able to find easily.

I haven't seen the phrase "TLS gunning," but I think the idea is that these forums will endlessly reinforce the fact that the LSAT is the most important part of an application and that you have more control over that than any other part. Sometimes, people will come around and say that they're set on a certain not-highly-ranked school or tier of schools because they can't possibly retake/improve their scores, which is sometimes true, but TLS will usually try to dissuade them by convincing them that, with lots of prep, anyone can make significant gains.

"TLS gunning," I assume, is giving the LSAT its due as a test that deserves months of prep. It's not the final exam in a gen ed class that you cram for.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:08 pm

OH MY GOD. I HATE YOU RC. I REALLY DO.

I just don't know how to raise my damn RC score. Got a LR: -1/-1, LG: -2, RC: -4 last night. I need to stop getting -4 and -5 on RC, i'ts holding me back. :evil:

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:OH MY GOD. I HATE YOU RC. I REALLY DO.

I just don't know how to raise my damn RC score. Got a LR: -1/-1, LG: -2, RC: -4 last night. I need to stop getting -4 and -5 on RC, i'ts holding me back. :evil:

It sounds like you got a pretty damn good score overall. You should be super proud. You have months to go before D-Day and are already at a level that most dream to achieve by test day. Keep up the good work and you will be golden by test day (ps- I'm jealous of the score you're upset about :wink: )

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Totally get the feeling, that's about what my scores are looking like as well. RC is just so freaking hard to study! I'm hoping it gets better with practice...haha. but post if you come up with any magical fixes!!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Just finished PT22; went RC -2 LR -9 LG -2. Gotta love LR. Not. Oh well I'm not crying with an 88 raw, I just started using the SimuGator LSAT proctor and I can't tell you how nice it is. I was scoring 170s before I got it, and the first time I used it I scored a 158. It forces you to adjust to timing - you really can't cheat here and there like you can with a watch. I used to give myself a minute to two extra if I was interrupted, or give myself an extra couple minutes to bubble, or give myself a long break, etc. If you don't have the discipline to avoid these little things the DVDs a must buy.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:43 pm

have you gone through the Manhattan RC guide? It helped me go from -5 (pre-guide) in the fall to -3 average (post guide) now.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:57 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just finished PT22; went RC -2 LR -9 LG -2. Gotta love LR. Not. Oh well I'm not crying with an 88 raw, I just started using the SimuGator LSAT proctor and I can't tell you how nice it is. I was scoring 170s before I got it, and the first time I used it I scored a 158. It forces you to adjust to timing - you really can't cheat here and there like you can with a watch. I used to give myself a minute to two extra if I was interrupted, or give myself an extra couple minutes to bubble, or give myself a long break, etc. If you don't have the discipline to avoid these little things the DVDs a must buy.

Good job. I'm taking a PT tomorrow and I realllly hope to see some improvement. I thought about the DVD but was on the fence because I am a slave to proper timing while PTing but it might be good to get used to the background LSAT noise. Though maybe my neighbor's annoying dog will suffice :roll:

Strange

Postby Strange » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:30 pm

usually pretty disciplined about timing and restrictions, but I might check out that simugator

Working on Flaw right now as per Pithys guide. Going to practice some more LG later

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just finished PT22; went RC -2 LR -9 LG -2. Gotta love LR. Not. Oh well I'm not crying with an 88 raw, I just started using the SimuGator LSAT proctor and I can't tell you how nice it is. I was scoring 170s before I got it, and the first time I used it I scored a 158. It forces you to adjust to timing - you really can't cheat here and there like you can with a watch. I used to give myself a minute to two extra if I was interrupted, or give myself an extra couple minutes to bubble, or give myself a long break, etc. If you don't have the discipline to avoid these little things the DVDs a must buy.

Good job. I'm taking a PT tomorrow and I realllly hope to see some improvement. I thought about the DVD but was on the fence because I am a slave to proper timing while PTing but it might be good to get used to the background LSAT noise. Though maybe my neighbor's annoying dog will suffice :roll:

Ha the dog should help! I usually study in the polisci and philosophy department at my university and there is usually annoying banter. Are you planning on taking PT50 with exp tomorrow?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:00 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

Ha the dog should help! I usually study in the polisci and philosophy department at my university and there is usually annoying banter. Are you planning on taking PT50 with exp tomorrow?

Haha the dog is goin strong at this very moment, God bless 'em. :? And to be honest, I'm really confused about my preptest use and schedule. I wanted to save the more recent ones til the end, but I really am not sure how I'm going to schedule them out and if I'm going to follow that study group. I'd really like to discuss full PTs with people so it's probably a good idea. Blah, I don't know haha. I was originally going to take one in the very late teens or early twenties.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”