June 2011 Study Group

geverett

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:00 pm

I just finished PT 25 LR Section 2: 22/25 boo =( I finished with 6 minutes left. Went back and checked my work only to change one answer from the right answer to the wrong answer. sucks.

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:06 pm

I am going to do one more LR section if anybody wants to meet me in the room in about 40 minutes, and go over some problems.

PeterD2189

Postby PeterD2189 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 pm

im takin the lsat in june, looking for the best way to study, ive been self studying and im doing good with it, however im curious with the lsat prep classes, which do you guys prefer, on your own? or in a prep class?

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 pm

geverett wrote:I just finished PT 25 LR Section 2: 22/25 boo =( I finished with 6 minutes left. Went back and checked my work only to change one answer from the right answer to the wrong answer. sucks.

I usually find that when I go back and check answers I more often than not change the right answer to a wrong one. I find now that I use the extra time on the LR for the last 6 problems or so which tend to be the most difficult

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:25 pm

I've been going through some RC passages, and on almost every one I'm able to get all but one or maybe two right consistently, but it seems as if there is just about one question per passage that just isn't worth the time to find the right answer :/ This isn't always the case, but it's flustering as hell when I see that one question and can only shake my head.

On a good note, studying LR as extensively as I have has definitely helped with my RC.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 pm

QQ - How do those of you who work FT fit in your LSAT studying?

I'm about to get to the part of my prep that requires 3 PT per week, and...I'm frightened. LOL. I just started working FT this year...when do you guys do your PTs?

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm

I am avoiding this thread (and TLS in general) because I haven't actually been studying.

WHERE IS MY MOTIVATION???

Darko86

Postby Darko86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 pm

2things2 wrote:I recently enrolled in the TestMasters class beginning the Saturday after this coming one. I know many of y'all are preparing by yourself, but I think this is the best option for me. Anyways, I just wanted to jump into the thread with a little bit about my law school path thus far. Here's to hoping for huge improvements/initial high scores for everyone! I have no affiliation with Testmasters, and I'm sure a lot of it is dependent on the teacher you get, but I absolutely loved Testmasters. I went from a 151 to testing around a 167-170 til I bombed the December LSAT with a 162 (which, in the grand scheme of things, is much better than a 151). I'm still not satisfied, however, so I'm retaking. You will love Testmasters. Do the work and it absolutely pays off.

Thanks for the reassurance. I have high hopes for the course. Crazily enough though, I found out this evening that the class in my area was canceled because of low enrollment, so I have to drive an hour to go to the classes now! They reduced my course cost though, so I think it should work out.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:17 pm

geverett wrote:I just finished PT 25 LR Section 2: 22/25 boo =( I finished with 6 minutes left. Went back and checked my work only to change one answer from the right answer to the wrong answer. sucks.

are you doing the lsatblog study guide too? I'm gonna be doing that section later today and if you wanna review later i'd be down. or are you guys all meeting up tonight in the manhattan forum thing? i forget what the email i got the other day said

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:20 pm

On second thought, just not feeling it today. I don't want to waste material so I will put this one off until the weekend.
Last edited by JG7773 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:43 pm

maxpower430 wrote:

are you doing the lsatblog study guide too? I'm gonna be doing that section later today and if you wanna review later i'd be down. or are you guys all meeting up tonight in the manhattan forum thing? i forget what the email i got the other day said

We meet in the chatroom on Thursday nights 8pm EST and then Sundays at 8pm EST, and I think that there's another one that just started at 4:30pm EST. Hope that helps!

JG7773 wrote:Gearing up for my 2nd PT since I began studying. I will be taking PT 50 (w/ exp. section) fully timed. My goal on this PT will be 70 raw, which should roughly be a 155 or 156. If I hit 156, that would be an 8 point improvement from my diagnostic, and a 5 point increase from my last PT. I will post results as once they are available.

Good luck!

geverett

Postby geverett » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I am consistently -2 through -5 on my LR sections. Any advice on how to grab those last few. Man I would just kill to have a -0 on that section. Does doing un-timed LR sections ever help?

soj

Postby soj » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 pm

geverett wrote:I am consistently -2 through -5 on my LR sections. Any advice on how to grab those last few. Man I would just kill to have a -0 on that section. Does doing un-timed LR sections ever help?

That's exactly what I've been doing the past few days. I figured if I could get myself down to -0~1 on LR, and limit my mistakes in LG, I could get a very good score even if I don't do quite so well in RC, my least consistent section. I went through a few sections of LR untimed and did manage to get a few -0s (along with -1s and -2s), but whether this improvement will carry over to timed sections remains to be seen. :| As always, I analyze every wrong and close-call answers.

I'll probably go back to timed sections this weekend. I've been getting -6~10 raw and I'm really hoping to get -4~6 raw consistently. After that, I'll start shaving minutes off each section and doing multiple tests to build speed and endurance.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm currently trying to get rid of a bad habit acquired in a perp course - writing the abbreviation of a question type after reading the question. I feel like it was useful for a noob, but now i only need it to distinguish strengthen questions from must be true (since they both use the word 'supported' in 'above/below'). Doing my first PT on monday, hopefully. Curious if i can save some time if i just read most of the questions and at max underline the word that triggers the question type. /rant

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Going to the bar tonight with friends - feel bad. Someone tell me it's justified :oops:

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:51 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I am avoiding this thread (and TLS in general) because I haven't actually been studying.

WHERE IS MY MOTIVATION???

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Going to the bar tonight with friends - feel bad. Someone tell me it's justified :oops:

You guys need to STUDY!

Bars won't go anywhere, whereas your summer (if you end up retaking) will.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:52 pm

99.9luft wrote:I'm currently trying to get rid of a bad habit acquired in a perp course - writing the abbreviation of a question type after reading the question. I feel like it was useful for a noob, but now i only need it to distinguish strengthen questions from must be true (since they both use the word 'supported' in 'above/below'). Doing my first PT on monday, hopefully. Curious if i can save some time if i just read most of the questions and at max underline the word that triggers the question type. /rant

Just curious, what is the best way to distinguish b/w strengthen and must be true? I'm working on classifying right now because during the tests I really don't classify so I'm trying to get better. I actually came on TLS because at the moment I'm trying to figure out "of the following which one logically completes the conclusion above?" Sounds like main point to me, but I think I'm also confused because there are different methods (I'm just starting powerscore's LGB)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:55 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Going to the bar tonight with friends - feel bad. Someone tell me it's justified :oops:

Hey in all these months of studying we're bound to have a few LSAT free nights

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
99.9luft wrote:I'm currently trying to get rid of a bad habit acquired in a perp course - writing the abbreviation of a question type after reading the question. I feel like it was useful for a noob, but now i only need it to distinguish strengthen questions from must be true (since they both use the word 'supported' in 'above/below'). Doing my first PT on monday, hopefully. Curious if i can save some time if i just read most of the questions and at max underline the word that triggers the question type. /rant

Just curious, what is the best way to distinguish b/w strengthen and must be true? I'm working on classifying right now because during the tests I really don't classify so I'm trying to get better. I actually came on TLS because at the moment I'm trying to figure out "of the following which one logically completes the conclusion above?" Sounds like main point to me, but I think I'm also confused because there are different methods (I'm just starting powerscore's LGB)

the logical completion is a MBT type of question. Basically if the question asks you to support the stimulus (above), it's a strengthen. If it says which one of the following support (or most strongly support) the answers below, then it's a MBT. So you just have to figure out which direction you are supporting, down (mbt) or up (+).

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks 99 those are really good tips! It's taking me a surprisingly long time to get the hang of this classification thing :oops:

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Thanks 99 those are really good tips! It's taking me a surprisingly long time to get the hang of this classification thing :oops:

No problem, and don't worry, practice will automatize it so that you won't even think about it when reading.

aquyenl

Postby aquyenl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:21 pm

is the chatroom not meeting tonight? the link says chatroom not available

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:33 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:

Was needing that :D

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm feeling good today. My diagnostic in early Feb was a 157 IIRC. I took June 2002 (PT 37) today untimed, but finished with time to spare on all the sections again; I really need to learn to slow down to make the most of my time I think. My LR sections were (-1 and -4), RC was (-4, unusually bad for me), and LG (-0). The scaled score on that would be a 171. I feel like this is a good place for me to be, since I haven't finished my prep course, and we've still got a little over 2 months to go. I really want better than a 175, and I'm feeling confident that I can accomplish that.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:34 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

Was needing that :D

Haha sometimes you just do. Make the most of funtime and then get back at it tomorrow :mrgreen:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”