June 2011 Study Group

maxpower430

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby maxpower430 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 pm

I generally like to advise people to check out lsatblog's posts on reading comp, they are pretty concise and i found them to be helpful. the main thing i do that i got from one of his posts is to note where the viewpoints are/the evidence supporting them, and if the author advocates anything. doing it that way you get a good feel for the shifts in the selection, and i found it made me a bit more attentive without getting bogged down with some elaborate system.

that being said, does anybody have any advice for the questions that are about the general organization of the passage/paragraphs within it? at the moment i'm -0-2 on RC and i finish with time to spare most of the time(3-5 mins) and i'm thinking that when i encounter those questions i should just really slow down and compare the answer choices with the passage, but i was wondering if there was anything else i should be doing for those questions?

wish i could help with LG but i have the same problem, i think the only thing we can do is drill and make sure to read carefully. does anyone have any experience with the manhattan LG guide btw? i sometimes slip up on grouping games and i was wondering if they had anything different from powerscore? thanks

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 pm

I just started cracking on the LR Bible, and I'm impressed with how well it reads. June is a retake for me, and since I've already been admitted with scholarship, I'm just trying toearn more money. LR was my weakest section, which really hurt because it's on there twice. I have always been the kind of person who learns how to find the correct answer through repetitive exposure to material, and with the LSAT, that's not always the best way. Hopefully the LR Bible helps me to attack the questions in a better way.

As for RC, I have always been an avid reader, and mostly this section comes natural. Unfortunately, when I really have no desire to read about the topic, usually art, I begin to zone out a little. Some methods I have heard that work real well are to read sources such as The Wall Street Journal, or Nat Geo, etc. Just to get familair with reading dense types of material.

And LG. I typically miss 2-5 on each section, depending on how tough the games are. I think I need to look at either the LG Bible or Manhattans LG Guide.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:I just started cracking on the LR Bible, and I'm impressed with how well it reads. June is a retake for me, and since I've already been admitted with scholarship, I'm just trying toearn more money. LR was my weakest section, which really hurt because it's on there twice. I have always been the kind of person who learns how to find the correct answer through repetitive exposure to material, and with the LSAT, that's not always the best way. Hopefully the LR Bible helps me to attack the questions in a better way.

As for RC, I have always been an avid reader, and mostly this section comes natural. Unfortunately, when I really have no desire to read about the topic, usually art, I begin to zone out a little. Some methods I have heard that work real well are to read sources such as The Wall Street Journal, or Nat Geo, etc. Just to get familair with reading dense types of material.

And LG. I typically miss 2-5 on each section, depending on how tough the games are. I think I need to look at either the LG Bible or Manhattans LG Guide.

The LR Bible is amazing. I went from -2/-5 ish to -1/-2 ish. As for RC, I already read The Economist and Nat Geo :\

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Thats awesome. It's embarassing but on the december LSAT I missed 17 on LR :/ So if I could have gotten down to only missing a few in each section, it would have raised my score by about 7 points, and considering I do well on LG and RC, it woulda made all the difference in the world.

That's what kills me about RC. I do just about as well on it now as I did when I started LSAT prep. It's just really hard for me to get into some of the passages, and when I don't enjoy what I'm reading, I have a tendency to start to zon e. I'll still be reading the passage, just not really taking it in.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Thats awesome. It's embarassing but on the december LSAT I missed 17 on LR :/ So if I could have gotten down to only missing a few in each section, it would have raised my score by about 7 points, and considering I do well on LG and RC, it woulda made all the difference in the world.

That's what kills me about RC. I do just about as well on it now as I did when I started LSAT prep. It's just really hard for me to get into some of the passages, and when I don't enjoy what I'm reading, I have a tendency to start to zon e. I'll still be reading the passage, just not really taking it in.

I know exactly what you mean about wishing your LR was similar to your other sections. I got -8 in RC the day of!!! >< It was so frustrating, mainly because my normal score for RC is about -4. It pushed me back to my original cold diagnostic score...if I'd performed normally on RC I wouldn't be retaking right now. :cry:

I've always been good at LG (except recently my stupid mistakes) and LR was decent (I actually over-performed on the day of, which balanced out my RC a little). But RC, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! :evil:

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 pm

for quick reference: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=150881

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Joining the thread. I was originally going to test in February, got cold feet, and switched.

After the test, we must all go drinking. You can all crash on my loveseat.

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Ginj wrote:After the test, we must all go drinking. You can all crash on my loveseat.

Awesome, because if this doesn't scream drunken college game, I don't know what does.

Welcome to the madness!

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm

The madness will truly begin after the test. Those three weeks are hell for many people. You begin to think about places you may have messed up, trying to remember which section was experimental. You will begin to discuss the games in length and trying to remember specific LR questions. Even though I know that I won't need to worry about any of that, I will. It's unavoidable. So I will be in Puerto Rico the week scores should be released, drunk on a beach with my girlfriend. :)

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:24 pm

I decided last July that I wanted to attend law school. I'm in the military and just finished a deployment, but I bought the LRB, a Rulebook for Arguments and LGB last July and have been going over them in spurts for the last almost 9 months now. It's only been since January that I've been really consistently studying though.

In early February I started the LSAT blog's 4-month study schedule and follow it pretty closely (albeit I've been doing more work and am farther than the schedule says I should be). I honestly think that sucker is worth its weight in gold.

Unfortunately I still usually have to guess on the fourth logic game in each section, there's just not enough time. I'm fine at them when I don't have the 35 minute time crunch, it's just the speed that kills me.

I made three copies of each LG in the Next, Actual and have been making myself slog through as many as I can stomach each day over and over and over....

Less than three months baby! Motivation! Also, I'm all for drinking afterwards. Anyone in Hawaii?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:49 pm

On a funny note, I have been practicing my LSAT stuff while I am substitute teaching. Pretty awesome getting paid to study, but the point is this: Learning how to concentrate with a bunch of screaming kids has made it so much easier to concentrate when I have peace and quiet. Plus when I get mad at a problem I can just tell the kids to shutup, and it makes me feel better. lol

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:On a funny note, I have been practicing my LSAT stuff while I am substitute teaching. Pretty awesome getting paid to study, but the point is this: Learning how to concentrate with a bunch of screaming kids has made it so much easier to concentrate when I have peace and quiet. Plus when I get mad at a problem I can just tell the kids to shutup, and it makes me feel better. lol

matches your screenname:

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:54 pm

HAHAHA

A PLEDGE PIN?!?! ON YOUR UNIFORM?!?!?

dimi3

Postby dimi3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:54 am

Hi guys I have a question.
I'm planning to retake the LSAT next year. I'll probably study with the LGB and LRB and the Manhattan LSAT guide for RC. I already ordered the LRB and the Manhattan RC guide, but I have a question concerning the LGB; the older brother of a friend of mine has the 2003(not sure about the year but it's not the newest version) of it and he's willing to give it to me for free. So I was wondering if it's really different from the newest version(2008?) in that it could in some way affect my improvement in logic games. Is the 2008 version worth 50$ if I can get the older one for free?(also, I'm broke so buying it would mean buying less PTs).
Thanks for the advice.

WmHooper

Postby WmHooper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 am

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around this thread for awhile and thought I would finally join it.

I've been having a lot of trouble with timing on the RC section. I am doing alright with the questions I get to but then don't even get a chance to answer all of the last set of questions. Does anyone think it would be a bad idea to pull some SAT passages to work on speed reading? Not the questions, just the passages. I figured that they would be set up in a way that the LSAT RC is (about 400-500 words, line numbers, test format, etc.) and would be good for trying to time myself to improve reading the passages quicker and figuring out the main point and so on. I would do LSAT passages, but I don't want to expose myself to practice test passages that I would rather use to test myself. Any thoughts?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:21 am

Taking 3 timed PTs this weekend for endurance. I don't think I'll score any of them till I finish the last one. I still have 40 fresh PTs luckily

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Taking 3 timed PTs this weekend for endurance. I don't think I'll score any of them till I finish the last one. I still have 40 fresh PTs luckily

I think I'll take a couple myself. I have pretty much all but 5 PTs as fresh, so I figure I may as well take some and then split them up to use for section practice later. Hopefully I'll see some improvement.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Taking 3 timed PTs this weekend for endurance. I don't think I'll score any of them till I finish the last one. I still have 40 fresh PTs luckily

I think I'll take a couple myself. I have pretty much all but 5 PTs as fresh, so I figure I may as well take some and then split them up to use for section practice later. Hopefully I'll see some improvement.

Hoping the same for me - this weeks been a bad LSAT week. Need some good numbers!

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:31 pm

I need some help real quick.

I've gotten into a few law schools, and I'll be retaking the LSAT in June to see if I can do better on my LSAT. If I do well, then I'll reapply next cycle. If I don't, I'll just go to the best of the options I have now. My question is this: is it OK for me to put a deposit down at a law school, and then take an LSAT?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:40 pm

WmHooper wrote:Hello everyone! I've been lurking around this thread for awhile and thought I would finally join it.

I've been having a lot of trouble with timing on the RC section. I am doing alright with the questions I get to but then don't even get a chance to answer all of the last set of questions. Does anyone think it would be a bad idea to pull some SAT passages to work on speed reading? Not the questions, just the passages. I figured that they would be set up in a way that the LSAT RC is (about 400-500 words, line numbers, test format, etc.) and would be good for trying to time myself to improve reading the passages quicker and figuring out the main point and so on. I would do LSAT passages, but I don't want to expose myself to practice test passages that I would rather use to test myself. Any thoughts?

No, the SAT passage structure differs from the LSAT passage structure.

dimi3 wrote:Hi guys I have a question.
I'm planning to retake the LSAT next year. I'll probably study with the LGB and LRB and the Manhattan LSAT guide for RC. I already ordered the LRB and the Manhattan RC guide, but I have a question concerning the LGB; the older brother of a friend of mine has the 2003(not sure about the year but it's not the newest version) of it and he's willing to give it to me for free. So I was wondering if it's really different from the newest version(2008?) in that it could in some way affect my improvement in logic games. Is the 2008 version worth 50$ if I can get the older one for free?(also, I'm broke so buying it would mean buying less PTs).
Thanks for the advice.

Not worth the money, in my opinion. In fact, the older one has older questions to drill, which is good because you don't want to see the newer questions (in the new LGB) again when you take your PTs.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 pm

dimi3 wrote:Hi guys I have a question.
Thanks for the advice.

From what I remember reading once....there REALLY isn't much of a difference between the two editions. There might be a few more drills and a couple different/newer games in the 2008 edition. I'd say go with the 2003 since it's free and get the basics of the powerscore method since you need to learn those anyways (set-up, diagramming, learning game types, etc..) Also, I'd take some of that $50 you saved and buy a "grouped" games book from either Cambridge LSAT or Traciela to practice what you learn. Be sure to xerox the games so that you can work over them multiple times, reenforcing set-ups/mindset and understanding mistakes.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Well, I just finished doing PT 47. This was my first simulated PT in my preparation for June.

LR1: -3
RC: -2
LR2: -4
LG: -2

Raw score of 88, scaled score of 168. My highest yet. The LR Bible has really helped me to tackle the LR section. Still feel like I get a little bogged down on a couple question, and the RC got a bit sticky, but I'm happy with the results.

Darko86

Postby Darko86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I finally decided about 2 months ago that I was definitely going to law school, so I was very late into the admissions process for the current cycle. I took the February LSAT, with essentially no preparation, but I only managed to score a 153. I considered going into a Tier 3 school and attempting to transfer for 2L, but after learning so much from TLS on law school rankings, unreliability of transferring, and scholarships, I have decided to postpone law school until the 2012 cycle. I'm actually very excited about this decision now, because I have high hopes for school/scholarship combinations for next year.

I recently enrolled in the TestMasters class beginning the Saturday after this coming one. I know many of y'all are preparing by yourself, but I think this is the best option for me. Anyways, I just wanted to jump into the thread with a little bit about my law school path thus far. Here's to hoping for huge improvements/initial high scores for everyone!

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Darko86 wrote:I finally decided about 2 months ago that I was definitely going to law school, so I was very late into the admissions process for the current cycle. I took the February LSAT, with essentially no preparation, but I only managed to score a 153. I considered going into a Tier 3 school and attempting to transfer for 2L, but after learning so much from TLS on law school rankings, unreliability of transferring, and scholarships, I have decided to postpone law school until the 2012 cycle. I'm actually very excited about this decision now, because I have high hopes for school/scholarship combinations for next year.

I recently enrolled in the TestMasters class beginning the Saturday after this coming one. I know many of y'all are preparing by yourself, but I think this is the best option for me. Anyways, I just wanted to jump into the thread with a little bit about my law school path thus far. Here's to hoping for huge improvements/initial high scores for everyone!

Welcome to the madness! And hey, there's no shame in taking a course - I might have if I had the money to. Just not financially a viable option at this time. Good luck on improving your score!

So I saw the post about the new Next 10 LSAT Book and did a happy dance - I was about to go out and buy most of those tests. Saved me a ton. :D

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Darko86 wrote:I finally decided about 2 months ago that I was definitely going to law school, so I was very late into the admissions process for the current cycle. I took the February LSAT, with essentially no preparation, but I only managed to score a 153. I considered going into a Tier 3 school and attempting to transfer for 2L, but after learning so much from TLS on law school rankings, unreliability of transferring, and scholarships, I have decided to postpone law school until the 2012 cycle. I'm actually very excited about this decision now, because I have high hopes for school/scholarship combinations for next year.

I have no affiliation with Testmasters, and I'm sure a lot of it is dependent on the teacher you get, but I absolutely loved Testmasters. I went from a 151 to testing around a 167-170 til I bombed the December LSAT with a 162 (which, in the grand scheme of things, is much better than a 151). I'm still not satisfied, however, so I'm retaking. You will love Testmasters. Do the work and it absolutely pays off.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”