June 2011 Study Group

Eichörnchen

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Are you gonna be there til the study group starts? I was thinking I'm gonna change clothes and then switch up locations and go in the room early, probably around 6:30ish. If I stay home I might get unlawful on my neighbor. Or just rude.

amols

Postby amols » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:God I suuuuuckkkkkkk....

Took PT 15:

RC: -6 (!)
LR1: -0
LR2: -3
LG: -9. Yup, 9.

That means my PTs have gone 160, 162, 163. With weeks of prep between them. Slow and steady but I don't think I'll be winning any races any time soon. :cry: I'd just like to thank the mapping game I guessed on completely, my neighbors huge-ass barking dog that was my background music, and last but not least, Kinko's for skipping 3 pages and copying RC out of order so I got to scramble to reference my book and flip back and forth. Oh, oh and I can't forget my own inadequacy! I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Don't worry. The games will come to you. And mapping is more difficult. I'm really impressed by your LR sections though. I haven't done a timed section yet (behind! ugh!), but I'm not sure if I could get those scores at this point. Those are really good scores! Really. Don't worry about LG: it will come :).

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:39 pm

amols wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:God I suuuuuckkkkkkk....

Took PT 15:

RC: -6 (!)
LR1: -0
LR2: -3
LG: -9. Yup, 9.

That means my PTs have gone 160, 162, 163. With weeks of prep between them. Slow and steady but I don't think I'll be winning any races any time soon. :cry: I'd just like to thank the mapping game I guessed on completely, my neighbors huge-ass barking dog that was my background music, and last but not least, Kinko's for skipping 3 pages and copying RC out of order so I got to scramble to reference my book and flip back and forth. Oh, oh and I can't forget my own inadequacy! I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Don't worry. The games will come to you. And mapping is more difficult. I'm really impressed by your LR sections though. I haven't done a timed section yet (behind! ugh!), but I'm not sure if I could get those scores at this point. Those are really good scores! Really. Don't worry about LG: it will come :).

Haha thanks. Right now it feels like I am in a league of my own in terms of being games "special" but everyone says it's the most learnable and you can get to -0/-1 as something to count on. At this point that seems as likely as finding a unicorn but who knows. Oh, and geverett and I are in the study room already, you should come in and do some practice problems with us. :)

amols

Postby amols » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:50 pm

I will drop in in a few minutes. I took basically a week off from studying, so I am trying to catch up on a few problems before we start :).

And you can definitely learn LG. Speaking from my own experience, it's completely doable. Hopefully some of the stuff that I mention during our groups is helping (I've gotten from AWFUL LG scores to -0/-1, so don't worry!).

See you soon!

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Decided to take a PT instead of the Study group tonight so I took PT A(-9 curve.) I used the LSAT Proctor DVD, and it was a very good buy, especially considering I bought it discounted because it was used. Not good by TLS standards, but I am content with the score in relation to my original diagnostic of 148.

LR 1:-5
RC: -8 (:/ this section is my kryptonite)
LG: -4 (silly mistakes and 5 minute mark pressure got to me by test day I fully expect this to be a -0/-1 for me)
LR 2:-6 (I think mental exhaustion got me because I missed 3 out of the last 4)

Raw: 78
Scaled: 160

I obviously need more practice in all areas, but in both LG and RC I kind of panicked when I heard "5 minutes." I need more experience in exactly how long 5 minutes feels in a test environment setting.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 am

zanzbar wrote:Decided to take a PT instead of the Study group tonight so I took PT A(-9 curve.) I used the LSAT Proctor DVD, and it was a very good buy, especially considering I bought it discounted because it was used. Not good by TLS standards, but I am content with the score in relation to my original diagnostic of 148.

LR 1:-5
RC: -8 (:/ this section is my kryptonite)
LG: -4 (silly mistakes and 5 minute mark pressure got to me by test day I fully expect this to be a -0/-1 for me)
LR 2:-6 (I think mental exhaustion got me because I missed 3 out of the last 4)

Raw: 78
Scaled: 160

I obviously need more practice in all areas, but in both LG and RC I kind of panicked when I heard "5 minutes." I need more experience in exactly how long 5 minutes feels in a test environment setting.

Wow what a great improvement! Geez I've only gone up 3 pts from my diagnostic. I'd like to see a point gain like that! Keep up the good work.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 am

Yeah I was happy with the 160 so I decided to call it a night without reviewing my wrong answers so I could have some time enjoying the score instead of being a little run down that I missed certain problems and the curve on that test the difference between a 163 and a 160 was only 4 questions, which I am sure I managed at least 4 silly mistakes.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:34 am

Simugator's Proctor does wonders I highly recommend it for all

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:44 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Simugator's Proctor does wonders I highly recommend it for all

how different (in what ways) is it from this: http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/lsat-proctor/

Hunterrhoid

Postby Hunterrhoid » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:44 am

PT Night! I'm in the Navy, and on duty watching things not move from where they were since before I was born, so I had a little extra mental space to tackle PT 43.

RC: -3 (Misread; rushed because I took too much time on P1; ran out of time for #28 and guessed)
LR1: -4 (Disagree, Resolve, Agree [that I read as DISagree, whoops], and PF)
LR2: -1 (PR)
LG: -0

Raw: 93
Score: 174

Two misreads.
Two PR/PF's (2/4)
Two time-related.
Two non-PR/PF reasoning errors.

I studied PR/PF a bit this week, but came up short in this area. I'm not getting to the questions with enough time to dissect them, and I haven't solidified the theory to get them quickly. I forgot that I was matching a flaw at one point.

I spent the most time this week studying RC, so I am a little disappointed to find -3 there, but in the course of that study, I found answers to a lot of other problems that have cost me in the past (Misbubbling, skipping a question, reading too fast that I miss critical points on even more than I did here). It seems like I need more time drills and pacing practice, more PR/PF drills (ALRIGHT CAMBRIDGE GUY, I'LL BUY YOUR BOOK), and still a little more tweaking on reading slowly enough that I don't miss anything.

I've been hovering at 170-171 the last few PTs, and had dipped into the 160s for half of the PTs in the 30s, so this is an encouraging score. I studied almost constantly this week, and squeezed a few points out of it!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really getting a lot out of the 'How I Scored a 180' articles, and every time I practice, I am seeing just how clearly these people saw into the LSAT, and I am gradually turning their advice into my habit.

Current mantra: I don't need to score a 180 tomorrow. I just need that next point. I can DO this.
Last edited by Hunterrhoid on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 am

I took Practice Test 34 on Friday after class.

RC: 23/26 (I thought I was bad at reading comp (-9 on my last test), but this time I just tried to pick up the pace and refer to the passage less, and look what happened!)
LR: 22/25
LR: 22/26
LG: 15/24 (Reaaaalllyyy need to start practicing logic games. I nearly had a panic attack due to the unfamiliarity with the games on this test. And 24 questions? C'mon.)

Raw score: 82/101
Score: 165

Overall, I'm very pleased as I rarely get to practice and I've seen gains on every test so far, though I've only taken 4. My scores so far have looked like this -> 155, 157, 159, 165. I was just hoping to reach the 160's this time, and after the logic games section, I thought I blew it.

I'm gonna shoot for another practice test after work on Wednesday.

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Just took practice test 23 LG Games. 20/24. Sucks. I even got a -1 yesterday. Not sure what I need to do to get into that sweet spot of -0/-1 consistently.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:42 pm

geverett wrote:Just took practice test 23 LG Games. 20/24. Sucks. I even got a -1 yesterday. Not sure what I need to do to get into that sweet spot of -0/-1 consistently.

I think you're on the right track. Plenty of time to improve, and really all you can do for now is go over your mistakes and figure out what questions were wrong and why you got them wrong. Find the thought process in how to get the right answer. Plus, I'm pretty sure PT 23 is the "interviews" game. Even though we went over it a few weeks ago, it is a rough game.

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Just saw where I went wrong. I'm going to drill logic games and RC passages all day today. I'm sick right now so I might as well take advantage of not having to go to work for this time.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Missed 13 questions narrowed to two AC's on PT15 = wtf

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Missed 13 questions narrowed to two AC's on PT15 = wtf

How'd you do overall? If you only missed 13, you did better than me. (and owe dinner :P )

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Missed 13 questions narrowed to two AC's on PT15 = wtf

How'd you do overall? If you only missed 13, you did better than me. (and owe dinner :P )

In that case my raw was 26 - what's the best steak house in AA?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:48 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

In that case my raw was 26 - what's the best steak house in AA?

Haha somehow this smacks of deceit...After that weird airplane mapping game I don't think anyone could have done worse than me :)

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm just going through the hardest Logic Games today. Starting at the top of next week I'll probably just be doing practice tests and single sections.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm

geverett wrote:I'm just going through the hardest Logic Games today. Starting at the top of next week I'll probably just be doing practice tests and single sections.

I really need to drill LG too. It so frustrating - when I do them untimed I'm usually about -2 or 3/section but timed I'm like -9+ :shock:

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 pm

PT 36 Game 3 is the most enjoyable game I've done.
Last edited by geverett on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm

geverett wrote:I'm just going through the hardest Logic Games today. Starting at the top of next week I'll probably just be doing practice tests and single sections.

Yep I think I'm going to start almost exclusively doing strictly drills and PTs now. Timing is a gigantic handicap for me and this seems
like the obvious way of improving.

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha somehow this smacks of deceit...After that weird airplane mapping game I don't think anyone could have done worse than me :)

Yea that one suckedddd. -2'd it untimed too. I hate Zendu!

Hunterrhoid

Postby Hunterrhoid » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Yep I think I'm going to start almost exclusively doing strictly drills and PTs now. Timing is a gigantic handicap for me and this seems
like the obvious way of improving.

I've been pushing back time for a while myself, and I have a few recommendations:

For LR, start with 1st 5 questions in 5 minutes, per section. Move to 1st 10 questions in 10 minutes. 15 in 15. You may start to drift or plateau here, but the closer you get to 20 in 20 the closer you are to LOADS of review time.

RC and LG: Make sure you are moving on after 8:45 to the next game or passage. Circle what you can't get, and come back to it when you know you've answered all the easy ones. For drilling, just like in running, do something harder than the actual test. Games and passages in 8 or 7 minutes, sections in 30-32. Knowing you have less time can start to teach you where you have extra time to give, even if your score drops at first from the extra pressure.

TL;DR: When training for time, do the sections in LESS time than you will actually have. If you have to run a 10-mile race next month, then practice running 12 miles, so that you aren't petering out at the end and barely crossing the finish line.

Excel

Postby Excel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:24 am

The LG about "the game 'words' " is sooooooooooooo annoying.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 pm

Anyone have tips for minimizing those last few LG misses? It's driving me crazy--ideally I should be going -0 on LG but I always miss anywhere from 1-3 on stupid mistakes (read question/answer wrong, flipped a rule for just ONE question, etc etc).

Also, what are the RC strategies everyone uses here?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”