June 2011 Study Group

JG7773

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:00 pm

JG7773 wrote:Getting ready to take my 2nd PT. I have been studying for a few weeks so it is time to gauge the progress. I will be taking PT 46 (w/ exp. section) and I will post the results when I am done. . .

On break. Feeling good thus far. Hopefully the mental fatigue doesn't set in. I had my wife put the Exp. section in, so I have no idea what to expect. Thus far I have seen RC / LG / LR. So I know that I am going to get a LR and something. Please don't be RC!!!

Back soon with results. . .

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:49 pm

JG7773 wrote:
JG7773 wrote:Getting ready to take my 2nd PT. I have been studying for a few weeks so it is time to gauge the progress. I will be taking PT 46 (w/ exp. section) and I will post the results when I am done. . .

On break. Feeling good thus far. Hopefully the mental fatigue doesn't set in. I had my wife put the Exp. section in, so I have no idea what to expect. Thus far I have seen RC / LG / LR. So I know that I am going to get a LR and something. Please don't be RC!!!

Back soon with results. . .

PT 46
RC: 14/26 (-12!) - Had to guess on Q 22 - 27 due to time.
LR 1: 16/25 (-9)
LR 2: 17/26 (-9)
LG: 16/22 (-6) - Game 4 threw me off here, I missed 4 out of my 6 on Game 4 alone.

Overall this is a start in the right direction my diag was a 148, so it is good to see some improvement. Obviously it is still in the same band, but progress none the less. Time to keep drilling and drilling and reviewing and reviewing. I scored the exam, but did not notate correct answers. In about a week I will go back over this exam untimed and see if there is any variation in the score. After that I will dissect each question right and wrong to gain a better insight on the problem areas.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Good job on the gains since your diagnostic! Sounds like you're using a good technique.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Can I join this thread? I'm taking the LSAT in June for the first time.

I took a diagnostic about a month ago. Completely cold with no prep and got a 157. I didn't use up all the time on any of the sections, with the exception of games which I totally screwed up. I finished all the other sections with ~10 minutes to spare. I probably should have gone back and tried harder on the ones, of which I was unsure, but I didn't.

I'm taking the BP online course, which I am totally loving right now. I haven't taken a 2nd practice test yet and probably won't for a few weeks, but my games have improved significantly. I'm not missing any questions on the LG sections of the HW. I'm getting about 92% of the LR and RC HW correct. I'm feeling pretty good about the test in June.

I really want a 175 or better, because my GPA is hovering around a 3.0 despite a strong upward trend, which will probably count for nothing, thanks to messing around my first couple years of college.

Good luck, everyone!

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:33 pm

citykitty wrote:Can I join this thread?

no, sorry, this thread is full.

haha you silly kitty, welcome! :lol:

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:02 pm

citykitty wrote:Can I join this thread? I'm taking the LSAT in June for the first time.

I took a diagnostic about a month ago. Completely cold with no prep and got a 157. I didn't use up all the time on any of the sections, with the exception of games which I totally screwed up. I finished all the other sections with ~10 minutes to spare. I probably should have gone back and tried harder on the ones, of which I was unsure, but I didn't.

I'm taking the BP online course, which I am totally loving right now. I haven't taken a 2nd practice test yet and probably won't for a few weeks, but my games have improved significantly. I'm not missing any questions on the LG sections of the HW. I'm getting about 92% of the LR and RC HW correct. I'm feeling pretty good about the test in June.

I really want a 175 or better, because my GPA is hovering around a 3.0 despite a strong upward trend, which will probably count for nothing, thanks to messing around my first couple years of college.

Good luck, everyone!

Why wouldn't 175 count? I don't understand

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Miracle wrote:
citykitty wrote:Can I join this thread? I'm taking the LSAT in June for the first time.

Good luck, everyone!

Why wouldn't 175 count? I don't understand

No, my *strong upward trend* will count for nothing as I understand it. I'm rather limited by my crappy ~3.0 GPA despite finally having my stuff together. I need the LSAT to compensate for the GPA.

I'm confident that I'm capable of pulling it off, but I need to keep it together.

judgekozinski

Postby judgekozinski » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:08 pm

So, just had my first diagnostic the other day after not taking a PT since last fall. I'm enrolled at PR's Hyperlearning course (for the 3rd time). Last fall I got sidetracked by an internship and halted class as well as taking the October LSAT. Now, back into the fire!

Got a 157. I'm pretty happy with this. Of course it's below my high of 164, but I was a little rusty going into the PT and expected a score somewhere around 155. This was PT 50, and I thought the games section was particularly tough. My first section of LR was also definitely lower than usual. My second section of LR improved substantially, just as I thought. My timing was a tad slow as well, especially on the LG.

I'm really excited to get back into my groove and see how much I can improve before June! Next update will be in a couple weeks after another PT at PR.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 am

Trying the strategy of doing a PT untimed immediately after finishing it.. This is so time consuming! But very helpful, I'm starting to see the errors in my reasoning much clearer. Results coming soon.. (not really, since this is taking ages)

Update:

Preptest 16

LG: 17/24 (24/24 untimed)
LR: 18/24 (22/24 untimed)
LR: 24/26 (23/26 untimed.. weird)
RC: 26/27 (26/27 untimed)
Raw: 85 (95 untimed)
Scaled: 168 (177 untimed)

I really liked this method, it takes a long time but you really get a chance to see where you're going wrong. It's also a really big confidence booster to see what you're capable of, for example I know that logic games is a work in progress, so seeing what kind of scores I can get if I master the games section is a huge motivation.

Hope everyone's studying is going well, 85 days to go!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:30 pm

PT 13 in a few minutes. Gonna do some warmups and a 5 hour energy. On pretty good sleep so I'm hoping for good numbers

amols

Postby amols » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:37 pm

mickeyD wrote:Trying the strategy of doing a PT untimed immediately after finishing it.. This is so time consuming! But very helpful, I'm starting to see the errors in my reasoning much clearer. Results coming soon.. (not really, since this is taking ages)

Update:

Preptest 16

LG: 17/24 (24/24 untimed)
LR: 18/24 (22/24 untimed)
LR: 24/26 (23/26 untimed.. weird)
RC: 26/27 (26/27 untimed)
Raw: 85 (95 untimed)
Scaled: 168 (177 untimed)

I really liked this method, it takes a long time but you really get a chance to see where you're going wrong. It's also a really big confidence booster to see what you're capable of, for example I know that logic games is a work in progress, so seeing what kind of scores I can get if I master the games section is a huge motivation.

Hope everyone's studying is going well, 85 days to go!

mickey, this sounds like a great idea! From the practicing that I've done, it seems like confidence in your skills plays a huge factor in your performance. So not only are you going to improve from seeing those little areas where you made mistakes, but recognizing that they were small problems that you can catch with a little more focus/time will help your confidence, too!

Good job!

I haven't started PTing yet. And I work FT+grad school. So... I have been reluctant to commit to the slow redo of the PT after I complete it because of timing. But now I'm thinking I might do it!

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Starting my prep today, rereading the LR Bible. I'll work through that and maybe the LG bible too (is the RC one worth anything or is RC just a matter of repetition?) and then start PTs in April. I would start them earlier, but since I took the test in February and did some hardcore prep before that, my materials are limited. I don't have all that many PTs left. Not recent ones, anyway.

So LR Bible it is.

amols

Postby amols » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:55 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Starting my prep today, rereading the LR Bible. I'll work through that and maybe the LG bible too (is the RC one worth anything or is RC just a matter of repetition?) and then start PTs in April. I would start them earlier, but since I took the test in February and did some hardcore prep before that, my materials are limited. I don't have all that many PTs left. Not recent ones, anyway.

So LR Bible it is.

Many people in this group have found Atlas' RC guide extremely helpful, much more so than the PS bible. I haven't tried it yet, but I will probably order it today.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:01 pm

amols wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:Starting my prep today, rereading the LR Bible. I'll work through that and maybe the LG bible too (is the RC one worth anything or is RC just a matter of repetition?) and then start PTs in April. I would start them earlier, but since I took the test in February and did some hardcore prep before that, my materials are limited. I don't have all that many PTs left. Not recent ones, anyway.

So LR Bible it is.

Many people in this group have found Atlas' RC guide extremely helpful, much more so than the PS bible. I haven't tried it yet, but I will probably order it today.

Hey amols (or anyone else who will be studying tonight at 8) - what was the hw that we are going to go over tonight? I'm not sure which of my scribbles is right :)

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
amols wrote:

So LR Bible it is.

Hey amols (or anyone else who will be studying tonight at 8) - what was the hw that we are going to go over tonight? I'm not sure which of my scribbles is right :)

We will be going over the following:

PT 43 - Section 2, Q15
Section 2, Q16
Section 2, Q18

and LG PT 31, Game 2 (CDs game)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:58 pm

JG7773 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
amols wrote:

So LR Bible it is.

We will be going over the following:

PT 43 - Section 2, Q15
Section 2, Q16
Section 2, Q18

Thanks a bunch - and I just noticed that my 8 in parentheses turned into 8) . Wicked. 8)

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:25 pm

I know this sounds like common sense but here it goes: Never take a Preptest hangover or lacking sleep.
I just took Preptest 56 and got a 158. Couldn't finish the RC or the LG which is my strongest section.
Oh well, lesson learned.
84 days to go!

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Is there an online class session tonight via Manhattan LSAT?

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:27 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Is there an online class session tonight via Manhattan LSAT?

Yep. We will be there starting at 8 pm EDT tonight.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:40 pm

I feel like such a slacker - I still am not done with what I need to do today so I don't have time to make it tonight. It's gonna be a loooong night of catch-up. I'm never going to the bar again (staying up til 2 and then Daylight savings screwed me today!) :oops:

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:45 pm

JG7773 wrote:

Thanks. Which HW session (Session 1, 2, etc.) should the group have completed for today?

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:51 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
JG7773 wrote:

Thanks. Which HW session (Session 1, 2, etc.) should the group have completed for today?

Tonight we will be going over the following:

PT 43 - Section 2, Q15
Section 2, Q16
Section 2, Q18

The homework session are for Thursday. I will send out group e-mails after tonight's session for next weeks groups.

amols

Postby amols » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:I feel like such a slacker - I still am not done with what I need to do today so I don't have time to make it tonight. It's gonna be a loooong night of catch-up. I'm never going to the bar again (staying up til 2 and then Daylight savings screwed me today!) :oops:

Daylight Savings Time threw me off, too! :(

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 pm

JG7773 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
JG7773 wrote:

Tonight we will be going over the following:

PT 43 - Section 2, Q15
Section 2, Q16
Section 2, Q18

The homework session are for Thursday. I will send out group e-mails after tonight's session for next weeks groups.

Sorry for the number of questions but I have a few more:

1. Does the class meet every Thursday and Sunday at 8pm ET?

2. Is there a syllabus of which sections/HW assignments will be discussed for the following session? How does one know which section will be discussed and HW will be assigned?

3. Is HW session for Thursday and class/review session for Sunday?

Thanks so much!

amols

Postby amols » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:I feel like such a slacker - I still am not done with what I need to do today so I don't have time to make it tonight. It's gonna be a loooong night of catch-up. I'm never going to the bar again (staying up til 2 and then Daylight savings screwed me today!) :oops:

I have a lot of other stuff to get done today, too, so I think I will just stick around for our LG explanation. The CDs game is such a weird one I want to see if anyone had some good ideas.

It should take 30-45 min, so if you have the time, stop by for that. If not, I'll see you there next Sunday! :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”