mickeyD wrote:PT18 on 3/6:
LG: 15/24
LR: 23/24
RC: 27/28
LR: 22/25
Raw: 87/101
Scaled: 169

My diagnostic in mid January was 155.

I keep bombing LG, I don't know what it is, I've gone through the entire LGB and aced the LG on my first preptest afterwards, but since then have only been able to complete 3/4 games. I'm absolutely thrilled to see my best LR scores yet, but it drives me insane to see myself losing easy points on games.

Starting today I'm grouping every game from PT 1-46 and working on mastering them by type, starting from Basic Linear. I remember in one thread, a tester who got a 180 said after every practice test he would look at what he would have gotten if he aced games in order to motivate himself to master them. Had I aced the games section, this practice test would have been a 178.

Good luck to everyone, it really motivates me to see everyone working hard for June, I know it's gonna pay off for all of us!

The only other thing that I would add is that another high scoring member suggested that you go through the PT timed as usual, then BEFORE SCORING you take it again under untimed conditions. Maybe that's a great thing to do with the LG section so you can work your way through the problems without any pressure and gain some confidence. Confidence can = speed & efficiency and maybe you just need a little more to get where you need to be going on this.

The good news is that if it's a timing issue then you have about 3 months to work it up to where it needs to be. Good luck!

crumpetsandtea

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 am

Yassig wrote:The only other thing that I would add is that another high scoring member suggested that you go through the PT timed as usual, then BEFORE SCORING you take it again under untimed conditions. Maybe that's a great thing to do with the LG section so you can work your way through the problems without any pressure and gain some confidence. Confidence can = speed & efficiency and maybe you just need a little more to get where you need to be going on this.

The good news is that if it's a timing issue then you have about 3 months to work it up to where it needs to be. Good luck!

I LOVE YOUR TAR. *fireflyfangirlsquee*

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:44 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Yassig wrote:The only other thing that I would add is that another high scoring member suggested that you go through the PT timed as usual, then BEFORE SCORING you take it again under untimed conditions. Maybe that's a great thing to do with the LG section so you can work your way through the problems without any pressure and gain some confidence. Confidence can = speed & efficiency and maybe you just need a little more to get where you need to be going on this.

Why, thank you! *takes a bow* Who doesn't love a badass named Jayne?

On another note, so I asked this in Sunday's session but figured I would ask here as well. In such an example of, "X is not included, unless Y is included" how do you not screw up and write the wrong conditional? Because I have a terrible time making sure that I am diagramming this correctly. :/

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 am

Yassig wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

On another note, so I asked this in Sunday's session but figured I would ask here as well. In such an example of, "X is not included, unless Y is included" how do you not screw up and write the wrong conditional? Because I have a terrible time making sure that I am diagramming this correctly. :/

X--->Y

If X, then Y.

It's counter-intuitive because you're inclined to flip them the other way. But with the above, there is no conceivable way to have X without having Y, which fulfills the conditional you outlined.

With "unless" conditionals, you take whatever came before "unless" and negate it.

for: "x is not included" it becomes "x is not not included" which is the same as "x is included."

I took a course on logic, I hope that makes sense.

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:22 am

minnbills wrote:
Yassig wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

X--->Y

If X, then Y.

It's counter-intuitive because you're inclined to flip them the other way. But with the above, there is no conceivable way to have X without having Y, which fulfills the conditional you outlined.

With "unless" conditionals, you take whatever came before "unless" and negate it.

for: "x is not included" it becomes "x is not not included" which is the same as "x is included."

Thank you, that does! I have no idea why out of everything that seems to be the hardest for me to wrap my mind around, and yet it had managed to continue stumping me. Now if I just memorize that I'll be good to go! :)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 am

+1
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excel

Postby Excel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 am

the logic games in text 31 :x :x :x

LawQ5

Postby LawQ5 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:50 pm

minnbills wrote:
Yassig wrote: Why, thank you! *takes a bow* Who doesn't love a badass named Jayne?

X--->Y

If X, then Y.

Wow it's so much easier to remember it this way! Thanks... I was sorta having the same problem as Yassig when diagramming. I would remember how to convert but then mix up the necessary/sufficient placement of the statements.

I'm doing drills now so I don't make this mistake again.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 pm

On my way to my first PR LSAT class!

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Firework11 wrote:On my way to my first PR LSAT class!

adorable.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:00 am

99.9luft wrote:
Firework11 wrote:On my way to my first PR LSAT class!

adorable.

Lol, thanks!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:23 pm

I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on here, I'm not tech-savvy. I scanned every PT as a PDF, printed 3 photocopies of each game, and organized them into the pithypike/powerscore breakdown (i.e. advanced linear - unbalanced). Then I made a table of contents and an excel sheet with first attempt, second attempt, and third attempt with the time and score of each. Then I took it to a duplicating center and had them bind it. Anyway, it is quite pretty and looks like a legit textbook lol. I know the only people that would appreciate this are TLSers so I had to post about it.

More seriously, I think organizing LG this way is a great way to practice games. You can immediately see your time/score per section, as well as improvements on the same game. It's also easy to carry and allows you to do games anywhere. If anyone else is following the 3x photocopy per game strategy let me know! It took 10-12 hours, but even if it improves my LG by 1 or 2 questions on test day, the time investment is more than worth it. Hope everyone's study week is fruitful

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 pm

I feel your pain - yesterday I got the binding cut off 3 books of PTs and went do my dad's office (free copies, yay!) and spent the day copying and copying...I have two copies each of "10 Actual", "The Next 10" and 2 copies of half of Kaplan's Endurance (Just a book of Misc PTs). I had to stop there cause I ran out of paper (I brought a pack of 1000 sheets) so I guess I should head back there and do it again sometime soon :cry:

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 pm

You guys are freaks. I love it. I've been going through Master the LSAT and ACE the Logic Games. ACE is pretty incredible. I think the methods suck, but the practice is pretty invaluable as it makes the real thing look like child's play comparatively. I am considering waiting for the October test. I am gunning for 180 and from other people that have gotten there it seems that 6 months out they were finishing all the sections under time pretty easily. I'm not there yet, but feel like I could be in a few more months which would give me ample time to do nothing, but 3 practice tests a week leading up to June. Any thoughts?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 pm

geverett wrote:You guys are freaks. I love it.
Haha me too. You just have to embrace it...

As for hitting your target, how are you averaging now? Also, it might be good to consider how much material you've already done and what techniques you respond to. Some people insist that you need 6 months or much more in order to really absorb a new way of thinking whereas some insist that you need a much shorter amount of time or you'll run out of materials and become complacent (or worse- I've read of people who say they passed their "peak" and started to creep back down, though I don't know how true that could be) I think it really just comes down to the type of studier you are, how you want to spread out your materials and what other commitments you have going on (I'd argue that 3 months of no job, no school, just LSAT > 6 months with going to school, etc)

mandolin

Postby mandolin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Hey guys,
I just started studying for my second go at the LSAT in June. I'm working on the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles right now. In addition, I hope to take 15 or 20 PT's between now and the June test. Does anyone have a recommendation on which PT's they would take? I guess I'm looking for the tests, by number, that you guys think do the best job of preparing us for the real deal.
Also, any tips on becoming more disciplined with LSAT prep? I'm working full time right now, and it is hard to make myself use my free time to sit down and study. Do you guys just try to work out a daily routine? If so, what seems to work best for you all?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 pm

geverett wrote:You guys are freaks. I love it. I've been going through Master the LSAT and ACE the Logic Games. ACE is pretty incredible. I think the methods suck, but the practice is pretty invaluable as it makes the real thing look like child's play comparatively. I am considering waiting for the October test. I am gunning for 180 and from other people that have gotten there it seems that 6 months out they were finishing all the sections under time pretty easily. I'm not there yet, but feel like I could be in a few more months which would give me ample time to do nothing, but 3 practice tests a week leading up to June. Any thoughts?

I'm considering waiting until October as well. I'll have finished undergrad & just have a research position to do in addition to studying. Do you plan on practicing sections with shorter time periods, such as 32 minutes each? If you decide to wait, you may be able to implement this into your study -- & it's something I know a lot of 180ers say they did.
Last edited by GoldenGloves on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 pm

yes, if you're still in undergrad (infants!), please log out, enjoy life, for you will miss it (so much) after graduation. Meaningful work experience + LSAT prep is the way to go.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:02 am

99.9luft wrote:yes, if you're still in undergrad (infants!), please log out, enjoy life, for you will miss it (so much) after graduation. Meaningful work experience + LSAT prep is the way to go.

+1 to missing the enjoyment in life!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:14 am

geverett wrote:You guys are freaks. I love it. I've been going through Master the LSAT and ACE the Logic Games. ACE is pretty incredible. I think the methods suck, but the practice is pretty invaluable as it makes the real thing look like child's play comparatively. I am considering waiting for the October test. I am gunning for 180 and from other people that have gotten there it seems that 6 months out they were finishing all the sections under time pretty easily. I'm not there yet, but feel like I could be in a few more months which would give me ample time to do nothing, but 3 practice tests a week leading up to June. Any thoughts?

I don't think taking in June would hurt you, but instead help. I think you have an opportunity to score 180 in 3 months time, and if you don't, you can in October anyway. I'm sure you've seen that many 180ers didn't score perfect there first go round. Taking in June would give you all the benefits associated with an early LSAT (ED, etc.). You've also probably read that a majority T14 take your highest score if there is a considerable difference. Overall, I think you should push to take in June and make the actual decision in late May. Just keep pushing and you will get there

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 am

mandolin wrote:Hey guys,
I just started studying for my second go at the LSAT in June. I'm working on the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles right now. In addition, I hope to take 15 or 20 PT's between now and the June test. Does anyone have a recommendation on which PT's they would take? I guess I'm looking for the tests, by number, that you guys think do the best job of preparing us for the real deal.
Also, any tips on becoming more disciplined with LSAT prep? I'm working full time right now, and it is hard to make myself use my free time to sit down and study. Do you guys just try to work out a daily routine? If so, what seems to work best for you all?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Look through the threads in LSAT prep and all of your questions will be answered. To keep it short, save the most recent PTs for your final month of prep. You should start in the earlier PTs and work your way to the most recent. Also, if you are gunning for a top score, plan on taking more than 15-20 PTs. You should take this many in May alone. As for tips on becoming motivated, think about how hard you want it. I think high scorers find internal motivation to sustain them throughout their studying. Despite your FT work, with enough motivation and hardwork you have the ability to score in the 170s. Check out the thread pertaining to those who did so here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149827.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 am

I'm confused as to what you're trying to say. Most people started studying for June now. Why wouldn't you join the group and start studying now? You have plenty of time. Why would you wait for October?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 am

-
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 am

Ok first post here. I'm currently working on the Powerscore LG bible and plan to skim the RC bible and the Blueprint LR stuff. I took the most recent Oct test after three months of studying but didn't do as well as I had hoped. Going to try and get motivated now and hope to score at least in the mid 160's in June. I'll try to follow some stuff that PithyPike layed out as well.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:18 am

Well I guess this is it. I've been studying on and off for the last few months but I'm just starting my intense practicing/studying until test date. I'm aiming for mid 170's with 170 being the floor. Games are definitely my weak point still. I usually get 2 out of the 4 games right but then just struggle with one and that really throws off my timing. Guess there is still 3 months to work out the kinks but I am praying that the experiment section is not the games.

Anyone having a difficult time finding the right balance between school/work/LSAT/social life?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”