June 2011 Study Group

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Edit: Coming to give the course a chance!
Last edited by Firework11 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

JG7773 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:probably not going to make the Sun meeting agian (wtf, i know). going through the 10 hardest LGs today (currently doing the snakes/lizards).

I can potentially meet in the room on Sat or before then, to go over these games. WIll post here when finished and ready to review.


We actually went over Snakes and Lizards two weeks ago. I think has a group we may have unlocked some good inferences. Let us know if you have any problem. . .


thanks, i will. have yet to go over them. got -1 on the snakes and -1 on the mannequins. Found the mannequins to be easier. [back to studying]

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby iowalum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Since I've been WL'd for this cycle (going on the assumption I won't get in) I am officially going for the June test... The last one I took was in 2008, so I have a lot of re-familiarizing to do! Currently out of UG (2010 grad) working part-time. But, waiting one more year to go to law school isn't the end of the world... right?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

iowalum wrote:Since I've been WL'd for this cycle (going on the assumption I won't get in) I am officially going for the June test... The last one I took was in 2008, so I have a lot of re-familiarizing to do! Currently out of UG (2010 grad) working part-time. But, waiting one more year to go to law school isn't the end of the world... right?


Right. 2+ years off FTW.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby minnbills » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm

99.9luft wrote:
iowalum wrote:Since I've been WL'd for this cycle (going on the assumption I won't get in) I am officially going for the June test... The last one I took was in 2008, so I have a lot of re-familiarizing to do! Currently out of UG (2010 grad) working part-time. But, waiting one more year to go to law school isn't the end of the world... right?


Right. 2+ years off FTW.


I'm taking a year off (sort of.)

I rushed through UG to finish in 3 years, thinking I could work for a year before going to LS. Problem is, after this semester I will need one more class- I couldn't make that requirement work with my other lib arts recs for this semester, and I can't finish it over the summer, so I have to wait at least 'til the fall. I figure by that point it will be difficult to find meaningful employment, given that I'll be going to LS 7-8 months after.

I have another year of eligibility for my sport, so I'm going to stick around UG for another year.

It will sort-of be a year off- take an internship for credit in the fall, finish my last course in the spring... I also coach a local high school team, having a third year of that will be nice for my apps as well. I'm looking forward to having an easier year, but hopefully I'll be busy enough not to be bored.

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

I got my Princeton Review books in the mail today!

JohnMKeynes
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JohnMKeynes » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 am

I am on my third day of studying. Slowly getting through the LG Bible. Currently on pg. 57. However I feel as though going through the pages I am not absorbing setup methods since every time you practice a new question its a complete new setup one never done before.

I know I have three months left to study, but my question is how long should it take me to get through the book knowing the principles of game setup down cold? Seems at the pace I am going its going to take at least maybe 2-3 weeks just get through the book. This is without knowing whether I would have game setup methods down cold. Most likely will be studying an average six hours a day five days a week. Insight?

User avatar
Yassig
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Yassig » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 am

JohnMKeynes wrote:I am on my third day of studying. Slowly getting through the LG Bible. Currently on pg. 57. However I feel as though going through the pages I am not absorbing setup methods since every time you practice a new question its a complete new setup one never done before.

I know I have three months left to study, but my question is how long should it take me to get through the book knowing the principles of game setup down cold? Seems at the pace I am going its going to take at least maybe 2-3 weeks just get through the book. This is without knowing whether I would have game setup methods down cold. Most likely will be studying an average six hours a day five days a week. Insight?

Drill, drill, drill, and then drill some more. There is absolutely no point in going through the book just to get through it and not have the concepts down pat. If it takes another month of practice, then use it. I scanned all of the practice questions and mini-drills into my computer and print them out for quick practice all the time.

Also thought I would point out that there are many members here that have gone through the Bibles multiple times, so don't worry about catching it all 100% the first time. A lot of seeing how you can grow is doing practice problems and then finding your weak areas and working on them.

Have you checked out something like the LSAT Blog? Or tried getting the practice tests grouped by type? It might help the information sink in if you continually practice them in sets.

HTH!

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:50 am

Just got "Master the LSAT" in the mail yesterday. The rule diagramming sucks compared to the LGB, but the TLS 1776 post is right on in saying that it really drills a "hypo-centric" approach to the games and I feel like this is starting to unlock some more things for me. Also, while some of the questions are fake I don't think it is the worst thing in the world b/c the author intentionally tries to deceive you with the nuances of the rules to make unwarranted assumptions. This is where I tend to lose a few questions in each games section as there is always that one game where I will not diagram one rule correctly and end up having to re-diagram it when I get 3 questions into a game, losing valuable time is the process. Anybody else using this book? If so, what is your experience so far in how it complements or works against the LGB?

dimi3
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby dimi3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am

How much time should I take to go through both LGB and LRB? Is 1 month(2weeks each) enough or will I have to rush?

User avatar
Yassig
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Yassig » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:29 am

dimi3 wrote:How much time should I take to go through both LGB and LRB? Is 1 month(2weeks each) enough or will I have to rush?

No one can really tell you. How quickly will the concepts sink in? Better to take 2 months to be sure that you've got everything than to rush through and not get it. Some people get it in a matter of weeks and just move on to practice. Some people take longer to get things down cold before moving onto the PTs.

I know that one member in the "How I got a 160+" thread said that he took a total of 4 or 5 PTs and still scored 165+ because instead of worrying about quantity he worried about quality. Better to drill and find what you're doing wrong than worry about getting to the next game. Hope that makes sense.

privatemf
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby privatemf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 am

I am having an issue with the pure squences. It seems like I am getting better but when it comes to the ones with putting it in the order, can anyone explain. I thought I had the games on Test Prep 29 and I did horrible.

dimi3
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby dimi3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 am

Yassig wrote:
dimi3 wrote:How much time should I take to go through both LGB and LRB? Is 1 month(2weeks each) enough or will I have to rush?

No one can really tell you. How quickly will the concepts sink in? Better to take 2 months to be sure that you've got everything than to rush through and not get it. Some people get it in a matter of weeks and just move on to practice. Some people take longer to get things down cold before moving onto the PTs.

I know that one member in the "How I got a 160+" thread said that he took a total of 4 or 5 PTs and still scored 165+ because instead of worrying about quantity he worried about quality. Better to drill and find what you're doing wrong than worry about getting to the next game. Hope that makes sense.


Ok, I suppose I'm going to start 3 months before the actual test and if it sinks in earlier than I thought then I'll have more time to do PTs! Thanks

User avatar
Yassig
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Yassig » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 pm

dimi3 wrote:Ok, I suppose I'm going to start 3 months before the actual test and if it sinks in earlier than I thought then I'll have more time to do PTs! Thanks


Have you checked out the LSAT Blog? The guy who writes it wrote up a schedule for studying that's pretty helpful, including different resources on how to improve (but based on the Bibles for LG and LR). Might be looking into. Good luck!

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Edit: Coming to give the course a chance!
Last edited by Firework11 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Firework11 wrote:I may actually hate Princeton Review!


Details?

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:07 pm

JG7773 wrote:
Firework11 wrote:I may actually hate Princeton Review!


Details?



They changed my teacher two days before the class.
I paid for the course thinking I would have been with another
teacher, who has a more impressive bio.
I really have quick changes. I'm a very proactive person.

However, I hope the new teacher will be better. My view may
change once the course starts....

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:51 pm

why would you take PR when you have Blueprint and Manhattan LSAT? (unless those not offered in your city, but then there is TM) I mean at least you didn't do Kaplan, but PR is not a good company. Don't believe me, search the forum.

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:57 pm

99.9luft wrote:why would you take PR when you have Blueprint and Manhattan LSAT? (unless those not offered in your city, but then there is TM) I mean at least you didn't do Kaplan, but PR is not a good company. Don't believe me, search the forum.


I only wanted a classroom course. PR is only offered in my area!

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Firework11 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:why would you take PR when you have Blueprint and Manhattan LSAT? (unless those not offered in your city, but then there is TM) I mean at least you didn't do Kaplan, but PR is not a good company. Don't believe me, search the forum.


I only wanted a classroom course. PR is only offered in my area!


Yes, i meant a classroom course, too. Have you checked these:

http://www.blueprintprep.com/full/findacourse2.php
http://www.testmasters.net/lsat/Course/Schedule.aspx

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:06 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Firework11 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:why would you take PR when you have Blueprint and Manhattan LSAT? (unless those not offered in your city, but then there is TM) I mean at least you didn't do Kaplan, but PR is not a good company. Don't believe me, search the forum.


I only wanted a classroom course. PR is only offered in my area!


Yes, i meant a classroom course, too. Have you checked these:

http://www.blueprintprep.com/full/findacourse2.php
http://www.testmasters.net/lsat/Course/Schedule.aspx


TM says there is a course in my aream, but it is under the name "ScorePerfect."

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Firework11 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
Firework11 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:why would you take PR when you have Blueprint and Manhattan LSAT? (unless those not offered in your city, but then there is TM) I mean at least you didn't do Kaplan, but PR is not a good company. Don't believe me, search the forum.


I only wanted a classroom course. PR is only offered in my area!


Yes, i meant a classroom course, too. Have you checked these:

http://www.blueprintprep.com/full/findacourse2.php
http://www.testmasters.net/lsat/Course/Schedule.aspx


TM says there is a course in my aream, but it is under the name "ScorePerfect."


Don't know what the means...any past TM students can tell you, perhaps (or just call TM). Also, forgot powerscore: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/full/content_index.cfm

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:09 pm

TM says there is a course in my aream, but it is under the name "ScorePerfect."[/quote]

Don't know what the means...any past TM students can tell you, perhaps (or just call TM). Also, forgot powerscore: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/full/content_index.cfm[/quote]

No, not them either.

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Do the virtual course. Trust me you won't regret it. I did it with PS last year and it rocked. Get Ron as your instructor.

User avatar
LawQ5
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby LawQ5 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:38 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Unfortunately I won't be able to make Thursday nights (night class) and the occasional Sunday night (pointless UG meetings, blah). If anyone is unable to meet Thursday/Sunday night(s), PM me if you are interested in setting up shop in the room at a different time. I was thinking that we can follow the regular plan of the group, just at a different time if there are those who can't meet Thurs/Sun night. So, this week some of us could work on the 10 Hardest LG on Schwartz' blog. +1k to JG7773


This will be good for me. I really want to go to study group but last week, two other things I have to do weekly both moved their scheduled times to Thurs Sun 8pm-10pm (wtf @ the universe making things extra hard for me ) So I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do... Starting a new group would be great as I can't miss the other things :(




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean, glockov, govlife, Instrumental, jagerbom79, lagavulinjoe, NavyNuke, SunDevil14 and 17 guests