June 2011 Study Group

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 pm

I think it is time for me to move on to just doing practice tests, with additional reading comprehension practice mixed in. I've gone through the LGB 3 times and the LRB 3 times. My last practice test was 162 from a month ago. I need 175 or above. Wish me luck. I'm taking a practice test today.

royalcrown
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby royalcrown » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Just took a practice test last week - did significantly worse than I hoped I would, and got a 160. Not quite sure what my plan of attack is going to be, but I know that I am going to focus on Logic Games, and maybe take a prep course (testmasters?). Did well on reading comprehension (missed 2 questions), so-so on LR (~75% correct) and terrible on the logic games (~50% correct). There might still be hope for me since logic games is the one where studying shows more improvement, at least according to the Kaplan lady at the practice test (whose opinion is dubious in my eyes...). I plan on really cracking down starting with this weekend, but I am not sure if I am going to wait until the fall to take it if I need more time. I felt absolutely fine taking the LSAT until I got to the logic games, where I completely fell apart and randomly guessed for nearly every question. Studying the LG bible as we speak...

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:40 pm

royalcrown wrote:Just took a practice test last week - did significantly worse than I hoped I would, and got a 160. Not quite sure what my plan of attack is going to be, but I know that I am going to focus on Logic Games, and maybe take a prep course (testmasters?). Did well on reading comprehension (missed 2 questions), so-so on LR (~75% correct) and terrible on the logic games (~50% correct). There might still be hope for me since logic games is the one where studying shows more improvement, at least according to the Kaplan lady at the practice test (whose opinion is dubious in my eyes...). I plan on really cracking down starting with this weekend, but I am not sure if I am going to wait until the fall to take it if I need more time. I felt absolutely fine taking the LSAT until I got to the logic games, where I completely fell apart and randomly guessed for nearly every question. Studying the LG bible as we speak...


With hard work and diligence you can be confident in getting -0 to -3 on any LG by May. With a -2 on RC and a -5 to -6 on LR already, you can be pushing upper 160s if you don't slide on RC and LR. And you probably won't slide on those - just improve. Things are looking up!

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:09 pm

I have an LSAC # and forked over the money for the test. It's official :shock: I am halfway through the LGB and ~150 pgs into the LRB. Looks like I should pick up the pace I guess. Also, I am getting almost all right when I do Adv. Linear LGs, but I can take about 15 minutes or more for one game! Argh I'm scared...

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

on the break from my PT pretty sure i just got raped on the LG section from the june 2010

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:46 pm

geverett wrote:on the break from my PT pretty sure i just got raped on the LG section from the june 2010


So, what was the result? As bad as you thought?

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:32 pm

June 2010 PT #60

LR1: -5 20/25
LG: -7 16/23
LR2: -3 22/25
RC: -8 19/27

Raw Score 77/100 163

This logic games section was a bitch. Also a band was playing next door the whole time. Of course I have no way of knowing if that affected anything.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Wow you've gone through the bibles three times? Nice work- that inspires me to pick up the pace! I'm sure that at this point, you will improve a lot just by practicing what you've learned from the bibles on real PTs. Good job on the 163. What was your diagnostic (If you took one before prep)? I'll be taking a PT tomorrow and I'm anxious to see how it goes. Gulp. :|

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Diagnostic - 150

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm aiming for 175+. Got to get to work.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:54 pm

geverett wrote:I'm aiming for 175+. Got to get to work.

Me too! Just curious, what's your study plan for the next 3 months?

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:04 pm

geverett wrote:Diagnostic - 150

Congrats on such significant gains already! Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll get there. I hope to be there too but we'll see. Back to the LGB for me (so many missed inferences... Ouch)

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
geverett wrote:I'm aiming for 175+. Got to get to work.

Me too! Just curious, what's your study plan for the next 3 months?


I have gone through all the Powerscore stuff, Manhattan RC guide, and added in Kaplan Mastery for additional practice in Logical Reasoning. I kept a log of all the questions I got wrong, and will go back over those. I just ordered these books: Manhattan LR & LG guides, Logic Made Easy, Informal Logic, How to Solve It, A Rulebook for Arguments, ACE the Lsat Logic Games, Grouped by Passage 1-40 RC, and Master the LSAT. I am going to devour these and try to do 2 PT a week with extra RC sections and LG games sections mixed in for the experimental as well as taking additional LG and RC sections.

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm

JG7773 wrote:
geverett wrote:on the break from my PT pretty sure i just got raped on the LG section from the june 2010


So, what was the result? As bad as you thought?



Not as bad as I thought. I seriously was going to be content with nothing less then 160. Thought seriously that I would witness atrophy with a score in the mid 150s. Justin, what are you testing at right now? What was your initial diagnostic. Have you seen any breakthroughs, and if so what were they and how do you think they came?

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:07 pm

geverett wrote:
JG7773 wrote:
geverett wrote:on the break from my PT pretty sure i just got raped on the LG section from the june 2010


So, what was the result? As bad as you thought?



Not as bad as I thought. I seriously was going to be content with nothing less then 160. Thought seriously that I would witness atrophy with a score in the mid 150s. Justin, what are you testing at right now? What was your initial diagnostic. Have you seen any breakthroughs, and if so what were they and how do you think they came?


I diag'ed at a 148. I haven't taken a PT since then, but I have been focusing on some drills, random LG's and the Manhattan guides. Since I started the new LR guide from Manhattan, I feel like I have more confidence, so that should help my scores the next time around. Also, I am not sure if you saw the e-mail, but we will have an instructor this Sunday for your "favorite" question type.

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Awesome. What would you say to assigning a practice test a week in March, and spending the sunday night class time going over the test all the way through til' the June exam?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 pm

geverett wrote:Awesome. What would you say to assigning a practice test a week in March, and spending the sunday night class time going over the test all the way through til' the June exam?


i support this message.

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Rockin' I think it would be really good. Has anybody here taken the June 2010 Exam? I am seriously stuck on 2 of the logic games. Stuck like cannot figure them out. Not stuck like it just takes an exorbitant amount of time. If so, and you can teach them to me then I would love to go over them in one of the elluminate rooms. Just PM me to let me know if anybody would be willing to do this.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 pm

99.9luft wrote:
geverett wrote:Awesome. What would you say to assigning a practice test a week in March, and spending the sunday night class time going over the test all the way through til' the June exam?


i support this message.


I certainly don't object to this. If we can get enough people interested in it, I will organize it.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:04 pm

JG7773 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
geverett wrote:Awesome. What would you say to assigning a practice test a week in March, and spending the sunday night class time going over the test all the way through til' the June exam?


i support this message.


I certainly don't object to this. If we can get enough people interested in it, I will organize it.

I think that would be a great idea. I plan to do about 2 a week.

JG are you the one featured on LSATBlog's LSAT Diary?

User avatar
LawQ5
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby LawQ5 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:07 pm

I just finished doing some studying and figured I'd check in on this thread. Man, I feel like I'm taking forever to go through the LG bible. I guess some people read it like 3 times, but I think I'm basically memorizing it with how carefully I'm reading it and reviewing it/doing flashcards to remember it all. How long did it take you guys to get through it? I just got to chapter 7 "The Forgotten Few," so hopefully I will be done with it soon.

Justin I didn't get the last email about there being an instructor this Sunday. That sounds great. Can you forward it to me? I'll PM you my email.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:25 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
JG7773 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
geverett wrote:Awesome. What would you say to assigning a practice test a week in March, and spending the sunday night class time going over the test all the way through til' the June exam?


i support this message.


I certainly don't object to this. If we can get enough people interested in it, I will organize it.

I think that would be a great idea. I plan to do about 2 a week.

JG are you the one featured on LSATBlog's LSAT Diary?


Wow, I guess so. I had no idea he was going to use it. Yes, that is me

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:31 am

How many days and hours per week are you all studying?

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:21 am

Once again, can anyone do the June 2010 2nd and 4th logic games?

User avatar
Rahsaan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:15 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Rahsaan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:47 am

LawQ5 wrote:I just finished doing some studying and figured I'd check in on this thread. Man, I feel like I'm taking forever to go through the LG bible. I guess some people read it like 3 times, but I think I'm basically memorizing it with how carefully I'm reading it and reviewing it/doing flashcards to remember it all. How long did it take you guys to get through it? I just got to chapter 7 "The Forgotten Few," so hopefully I will be done with it soon.



what is there to memorize in the lg bible//????? i feel once through is sufficient.am i missing something? it took me like 1 week to get through it. Are you following a set schedule, or do you just study whenever you have time during the week? What kinda drills do you do after each chapter?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, dg1090 and 11 guests