June 2011 Study Group

seanPtheB

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby seanPtheB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:39 pm

JG7773 wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
dimi3 wrote:What do you guys think about the Manhattan lsat reading comprehension strategy guide ?

I am just getting into the meat of it, and I have seen substantial improvement.

Are the Manhattan guide and the Atlas guide the same thing?

Yes; however, they (Manhattan) just released a revamped LR guide. . . for what that is worth to your question.

tyty

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:40 pm

99.9luft wrote:yeah, Atlas is now Manhattan LSAT

oops, missed your response. tyty to you too. k /being ghey

LawGirl23

Postby LawGirl23 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Hello
I am also preparing to write the June 2011 LSAT. I have already managed to review the LGB, LRB and am currently beginning the Reading Comprehension section. I havent been timing myself on the sections right now, just focusing on getting them correct and learning the strategy. I am averaging about -5 / -7 on the games and reasoning sections, wondering if this is good/bad. Any suggestions?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 pm

LawGirl23 wrote:Hello
I am also preparing to write the June 2011 LSAT. I have already managed to review the LGB, LRB and am currently beginning the Reading Comprehension section. I havent been timing myself on the sections right now, just focusing on getting them correct and learning the strategy. I am averaging about -5 / -7 on the games and reasoning sections, wondering if this is good/bad. Any suggestions?

depends where you're thinking of applying.

p.s. welcome.

LawGirl23

Postby LawGirl23 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Im hoping to achieve a 165+. With the study schedule I have created for myself I will be finished reviewing all 3 sections by mid march and from there I will begin an intensive study schedule to time myself as well as perfect any of my mistakes. I also work full time, my current schedule is 6am - gym, 8am-6pm - work, 7pm-10pm - study. Worried that I might have to make some changes to this schedule in March :|

p.s. THANKS :P

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 pm

LawGirl23 wrote:Im hoping to achieve a 165+. With the study schedule I have created for myself I will be finished reviewing all 3 sections by mid march and from there I will begin an intensive study schedule to time myself as well as perfect any of my mistakes. I also work full time, my current schedule is 6am - gym, 8am-6pm - work, 7pm-10pm - study. Worried that I might have to make some changes to this schedule in March :|

Best of luck to you!

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 am

hey there, for those of you that have been using or used the Atlas or Manhattan RC study guide.
How effective is it? I read somewhere in this forum that the advise given it's not that useful and very general.
My biggest problem with RC it's timing since the questions are predictable after you become familiar with the section, but I cannot finish the last reading. Would the study guide be helpful?
Any advise on how to improve?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:32 am

Keep up the hard work. My last three PTs have been 167,168, and a 171 today so believe that hard work is worth it. Definitely a good feeling to have a good series of progress.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:58 am

Tom Joad wrote:Keep up the hard work. My last three PTs have been 167,168, and a 171 today so believe that hard work is worth it. Definitely a good feeling to have a good series of progress.

Congratulations, that's excellent improvement! How've you been studying, just plowing through the Bibles or what?

hooma

Postby hooma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:25 pm

mac35352 wrote:hey there, for those of you that have been using or used the Atlas or Manhattan RC study guide.
How effective is it? I read somewhere in this forum that the advise given it's not that useful and very general.
My biggest problem with RC it's timing since the questions are predictable after you become familiar with the section, but I cannot finish the last reading. Would the study guide be helpful?
Any advise on how to improve?

I just got my guide in the mail yesterday, and read the first 3 chapters last night. If your problem is timing and not accuracy, the first three chapters lead me to believe you still would benefit because their strategy is about active reading. Timing is also an issue for me because I can get a little ADD and then have to re-read paragraphs a couple of times to get it. Their active reading strategy, for me, helps me to stay on track, re-read paragraphs less, and thus spend less time reading the passage.

I've really only heard that it's helpful and, possibly, the best RC guide out there so, for $30 or whatever, I think it's a solid investment.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Keep up the hard work. My last three PTs have been 167,168, and a 171 today so believe that hard work is worth it. Definitely a good feeling to have a good series of progress.

Congratulations, that's solid improvement.

gettingready

Postby gettingready » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 pm

I do have few "issues" to bring up in the class :wink: ... First, regarding logic games. I am, like most people it seems, struggling with the time issue. I have been studying for about one and a half months and I have never finished a game in 8 minutes ( I do study between 2 hours and none a day since I am working and have a family). Accuracy is not bad but timing is killing me and I really don't know how to speed up (good advice would be great). I understand that the more you practice the better you get but, really, technically, how do you speed up?????

Second, also on logic games, since the time struggle is on, if I found (or I think I found) the correct answer should I still go over and verify ther rest of the answers or not? What do you guys learned, so far?

Thanks and good luck

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:28 pm

hi everybody! also prepping for the june lsat and just wanted to say hey. focusing on LG because i'm super slow at that and pretty good on RC and LR.

also, and i swear i'm not connected with Cambridge LSAT in any way, the excel sheet they just posted about is very useful for anybody doing the pithypike guide. I made my own ghetto little table in MS Word but this is more useful, largely because it grades the section for you.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:31 pm

gettingready wrote:I do have few "issues" to bring up in the class :wink: ... First, regarding logic games. I am, like most people it seems, struggling with the time issue. I have been studying for about one and a half months and I have never finished a game in 8 minutes ( I do study between 2 hours and none a day since I am working and have a family). Accuracy is not bad but timing is killing me and I really don't know how to speed up (good advice would be great). I understand that the more you practice the better you get but, really, technically, how do you speed up?????

Second, also on logic games, since the time struggle is on, if I found (or I think I found) the correct answer should I still go over and verify ther rest of the answers or not? What do you guys learned, so far?

Thanks and good luck

Are you following pithypike's guide? (i.e. do a chapter in the LGB, then do a bunch of logic games of that type, and then do them two more times?) I've found that the repetition really made me much quicker at seeing inferences and patterns which of course makes the games go faster. I'm only on the advanced linear type now but I was terrible at even those at the beginning. It's a hard slog but as everyone says, it's the most improveable section!

gettingready

Postby gettingready » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Are you following pithypike's guide? (i.e. do a chapter in the LGB, then do a bunch of logic games of that type, and then do them two more times?) I've found that the repetition really made me much quicker at seeing inferences and patterns which of course makes the games go faster. I'm only on the advanced linear type now but I was terrible at even those at the beginning. It's a hard slog but as everyone says, it's the most improveable section![/quote]

I started that way but now I am adjusting it to my own style. I do repeats but, mostly, new games. For some reason, the idea that I will not have time to see a big diversity of games and that I will not have time to review the newest games is stuck into my mind. Therefore I do more new games than repeats. I finished the Logic games bible and I am working on the Logical reasoning now. The good part is that I actually have a good time studying for LSAT. Are the time restraints that bother me. I hope you have more time to study than I do! :)

Good luck

Rahsaan

Postby Rahsaan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Hey guys!

quick question: I am about midway through my prep focusing specifically on LR questions. I was just wondering if any of yall diagrammed lr conditionals. If not, when did you stop diagramming? Did you wait until you got a hang of juggling conditionals or did you ever start?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:49 pm

LawGirl23 wrote:Im hoping to achieve a 165+. With the study schedule I have created for myself I will be finished reviewing all 3 sections by mid march and from there I will begin an intensive study schedule to time myself as well as perfect any of my mistakes. I also work full time, my current schedule is 6am - gym, 8am-6pm - work, 7pm-10pm - study. Worried that I might have to make some changes to this schedule in March :|

That's hardcore. I find I have to study in the morning, because my focus is shot after work.

LawGirl23

Postby LawGirl23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:52 am

dextermorgan wrote:

That's hardcore. I find I have to study in the morning, because my focus is shot after work.

Yes! I agree I am often exhausted after work, a speed nap usually helps though :)

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm

gettingready wrote: Second, also on logic games, since the time struggle is on, if I found (or I think I found) the correct answer should I still go over and verify ther rest of the answers or not? What do you guys learned, so far?

No. With LG questions, there is only one right answer. It's not like LR or RC where if you're going through the choices there could be a "better" answer. Use the question stem to figure out what you're looking for. For example, if you're faced with a must be true question in LG, the other choices could be false and therefore will be wrong. If the A choice has a scenario that doesn't break rules & forces a variable in one spot, you don't need to check that answer off to B, C, D, E which "could" happen or is flat out wrong.

Ideally you'll have gained an insight through inference or diagram where you could almost guess the answer (or be close to it) before you read the choices.

Rahsaan wrote:quick question: I am about midway through my prep focusing specifically on LR questions. I was just wondering if any of yall diagrammed lr conditionals. If not, when did you stop diagramming? Did you wait until you got a hang of juggling conditionals or did you ever start?

I always try to diagram questions that are heavy in formal logic. A lot of "inference/must be true" questions or the very complex parallel questions. I've found that for a lot of the other question types - diagramming the conditionals isn't as important in trying to attack the argument. If it helps you to understand the argument I'd say go for it. Other wise, I focus on the key words and indicators in the argument.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello everyone, just joined the group and ready to destroy in June with everyone else! Working my way through the LGB and just finishing up LRB. Latest score from PT 34 (June '01):

LR1: -8 :oops:
LR2: -5
LG: -7
RC: - 2
Raw: 79
Actual: 163

Goal is a 169+. Thinking my games will get significantly better with intense practice - seems like this has been the case for most TLSers. Butttt need to get the magnifying glass out for LR! Luckily RC has been pretty natural for me. Happy studying all!

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:50 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Hello everyone, just joined the group and ready to destroy in June with everyone else! Working my way through the LGB and just finishing up LRB. Latest score from PT 34 (June '01):

LR1: -8 :oops:
LR2: -5
LG: -7
RC: - 2
Raw: 79
Actual: 163

Goal is a 169+. Thinking my games will get significantly better with intense practice - seems like this has been the case for most TLSers. Butttt need to get the magnifying glass out for LR! Luckily RC has been pretty natural for me. Happy studying all!

Good job; best of luck!

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:26 am

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I'll be taking the LSAT in June also. If I get a 170+ I'll be reapplying next cycle. If not I'll most likely be at UH. Here we go again...

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:40 am

CrimLaw300 wrote:Never thought I'd be saying this, but I'll be taking the LSAT in June also. If I get a 170+ I'll be reapplying next cycle. If not I'll most likely be at UH. Here we go again...

Understandable, you can do it. Best of luck to you!

tcliff

Postby tcliff » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 am

Spent the last 5 weeks or so reading the LG, LRB, and Instructional part of the SuperPrep (in that order).

Yesterday I did an untimed prep test, prep test A from the Superprep book (February 2007). Although I kept track of time during three of my sections, I did not keep a time limit.

Section one, LR, 23/25. Did about half this section in breaks between teaching classes, another half after I got home. No idea how long it took.

Section 2, RC, 26/27. 34 minutes, although this doesn't include transferring to the answer sheet. The next two timed sections do include this, as after this game is when I went and grabbed an LSAT answer sheet to fill in.

Section 3, LG, 24/24 but I spent 55 minutes on it! I breezed through the first two games and probably spent around twenty minutes on each of the last two games.

Section 4, LR, 25/25, 33 minutes.

It's pretty damn clear what I need to do: drill LGs constantly. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this, as my accuracy rate is pretty good, but neither do I want to become complacent in the other sections.

hooma

Postby hooma » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 am

Just paid my $139 - no turning back now!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”