June 2011 Study Group

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:01 pm

zigster222 wrote:started studying for the june lsat today my one major problem is i really hate doing RC prob cause im horrible at it and i fear that practice really doesnt help all that much i need some tips on how to stay motivated for it


that's because you're doing it wrong. Get the RC guide from Manhattan LSAT.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:47 pm

99.9luft wrote:
zigster222 wrote:started studying for the june lsat today my one major problem is i really hate doing RC prob cause im horrible at it and i fear that practice really doesnt help all that much i need some tips on how to stay motivated for it


that's because you're doing it wrong. Get the RC guide from Manhattan LSAT.


This definitely helped. It's cheap and I'd suggest it as well. Don't be afraid to spent a lot money while prepping for this test, it'll be worth it when scholarship time comes around.

User avatar
DonnaDraper
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby DonnaDraper » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 pm

SPEAKING of the Atlas/Manhattan RC guide I am going through it as we speak. For Games, Powerscore is where its at, but for RC, Powerscore sucks. Way too complicated of an approach. RC is my worst section, and this Manhattan RC guide is really working out for me so I highly recommend it for strugglers in RC. Wish I had found this baby before my dreaded -8 on my RC section in Dec. YIKES.

I am not going through all the practice passages in this book though, since some passages happen to be from the very few practice tests that I have not taken. I had a hallelujah moment today because I could have sworn I had taken all the practice tests for some reason and as I started to read a passage from Atlas LSAT, I knew it had never passed before my eyes. I stopped right away and I collected my LSAT materials to count which practice tests I had done. I somehow managed to miss not 1, not 2, but 17 practice tests. So I still have 17 fresh tests! OMG! Saving those babies for the final month and going to go over old ones until I can get perfect scores on them. WOO HOO.

JohnMKeynes
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JohnMKeynes » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:13 am

In on studying for the June 6 exam. I finally received my books. I have an opened thread asking some questions:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147502

I plan on studying a minimum of 6 hours a day Monday through Thursday, and possibly weekends if I feel it's needed.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:43 am

Hey, hope studying is going great for everyone! I just took PT 41 timed the other day:

PT 41 - 164
-4LG
-3LR1
-6LR2
-6RC

This is up from a 147 diagnostic in July of last year. It has been a long road friends..... Taking PT 2 Tomorrow. Let's take this beast down!

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby mickeyD » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:05 am

Despite hitting a timed 171 on PT7 at the beginning of the week, I just took PT35 timed and came out with:

LR: -6
RC: -2
LG: -11 (3 games, bubbled B for the entire last game and got them all wrong)
LR: -9
Raw: 73/101 = 159.

LR is clearly in progress, so I'm really only upset about the LG score, I completely choked. Right after the test finished I took a 5 minute break, went right back redid the LG section and got 10 points better, including 6/6 for the section I never got to. I guess I'm happy with my RC, I had 5 minutes left when I got through all the questions.

More motivation to improve I guess, I know it's possible, just gotta go back to the drawing board.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 am

mickeyD wrote:Despite hitting a timed 171 on PT7 at the beginning of the week, I just took PT35 timed and came out with:

LR: -6
RC: -2
LG: -11 (3 games, bubbled B for the entire last game and got them all wrong)
LR: -9
Raw: 73/101 = 159.

LR is clearly in progress, so I'm really only upset about the LG score, I completely choked. Right after the test finished I took a 5 minute break, went right back redid the LG section and got 10 points better, including 6/6 for the section I never got to. I guess I'm happy with my RC, I had 5 minutes left when I got through all the questions.

More motivation to improve I guess, I know it's possible, just gotta go back to the drawing board.


FYI, when in doubt, bubble "D" and never "B." Ideally, don't ever guess, obviously.

I'm sure you'll do better on the next one!

User avatar
totgafk180
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:13 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby totgafk180 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 am

I started studying for the LSAT one week ago. As my first undertaking, I've been reading the LGB. I'm almost finished with Chapter 2. I hope to complete the LGB soon. Then I will get started on the LRB.

On another note, tomorrow morning I plan to do my first PT. Any suggestions as to which one I should do? (I have quite a few.)

Finally, on Tuesday I start my intermediate-level Chinese classes at Tsinghua University. I'll be self-studying for the LSAT while in China (odds are I will take the LSAT in Beijing as well). Overall, I hope my brain does't explode!

170+

加油!

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:31 am

mickeyD wrote:Despite hitting a timed 171 on PT7 at the beginning of the week, I just took PT35 timed and came out with:

LR: -6
RC: -2
LG: -11 (3 games, bubbled B for the entire last game and got them all wrong)
LR: -9
Raw: 73/101 = 159.

LR is clearly in progress, so I'm really only upset about the LG score, I completely choked. Right after the test finished I took a 5 minute break, went right back redid the LG section and got 10 points better, including 6/6 for the section I never got to. I guess I'm happy with my RC, I had 5 minutes left when I got through all the questions.

More motivation to improve I guess, I know it's possible, just gotta go back to the drawing board.


Hey, I just did PT 35!! The LR was rough for me. Have you studied between the 171 and this? How many PTs have you taken? From what you say it seems like LG is usually your best score (it's mine as well), so it seems like we reflect each other in that way :D

Endurance is the hardest part sometimes. I did PT 35 with a total of 5 sections: I added in an extra LG section in it as the 'experimental' (I was lucky it was the experimental, since I missed more in that section than I did in the LG section that counted XD) and it was pretty rough. Are you having timing issues or just getting mentally tired at the end of the test (I know LG was the last section for PT35, so that might've been it).

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby mickeyD » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Hey, I just did PT 35!! The LR was rough for me. Have you studied between the 171 and this? How many PTs have you taken? From what you say it seems like LG is usually your best score (it's mine as well), so it seems like we reflect each other in that way :D

Endurance is the hardest part sometimes. I did PT 35 with a total of 5 sections: I added in an extra LG section in it as the 'experimental' (I was lucky it was the experimental, since I missed more in that section than I did in the LG section that counted XD) and it was pretty rough. Are you having timing issues or just getting mentally tired at the end of the test (I know LG was the last section for PT35, so that might've been it).


I have been studying a good amount between the tests, but exclusively LR. My 171 had perfect games and a combined -10 LR, so I took this week to extensively review of the previous test, and then worked through several chapters of the LRB.

I think I got rusty on games by the end of the week. I didn't do a single game all week up until my pre-game "warm-up," which is read a chapter of the LGB, do the drills, and redo the 6 games from that chapter. In my warm-up I aced the games but made tons of basic mistakes (didn't build in not laws, poor diagram setups, misreading questions). When I got to the actual games section on the PT, those were the exact mistakes I made- got killed right off the bat on the astronauts game because I didn't organize the information, just tried to look at it, which then continued as I made a poor/confusing diagram for the car options game and incorrectly diagrammed the seats game too.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you do? Games catastrophe aside, I really got worked by the LR :lol: .

Firework11
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Firework11 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 pm

99.9luft wrote:
mickeyD wrote:Despite hitting a timed 171 on PT7 at the beginning of the week, I just took PT35 timed and came out with:

LR: -6
RC: -2
LG: -11 (3 games, bubbled B for the entire last game and got them all wrong)
LR: -9
Raw: 73/101 = 159.

LR is clearly in progress, so I'm really only upset about the LG score, I completely choked. Right after the test finished I took a 5 minute break, went right back redid the LG section and got 10 points better, including 6/6 for the section I never got to. I guess I'm happy with my RC, I had 5 minutes left when I got through all the questions.

More motivation to improve I guess, I know it's possible, just gotta go back to the drawing board.


FYI, when in doubt, bubble "D" and never "B." Ideally, don't ever guess, obviously.

I'm sure you'll do better on the next one!


Thanks for the info. Why "D"? Is the letter good for LG and LR?

framboozer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby framboozer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:38 pm

I have my boyfriend's Testmasters material, The Logical Reasoning Bible, the Logic Games Bible, the 10 Actual, Official series, and I ordered SuperPrep and the Manhattan Reading Comprehension Guide.

It seems that my biggest issue is time. I can see myself getting faster with Logic Games, but I think my biggest time issues are in Reading Comprehension. I don't really have problems with accuracy there, but I tend to have ~6 questions left when time is called. I'm typically only just starting to read the last passage when time is called. I haven't heard that the Powerscore RC guide is anything special, so I didn't order that.

I had initially started studying in October, and I studied a decent amount that month, but then it became clear that November, December, and January I'd be too busy, so I figured I'd shoot for June. I have taken 3 practice tests so far. The most recent one was the October 2005 test and it was proctored by Testmasters. I took it without looking at any LSAT prep material in 3 months and got a 159. Overall, I wasn't disappointed and hope to crack 160 next time.

LR: -3 (I was happy)
RC : -9 (ouch, worst so far)
LR: -7 (the worst so far also)
LG: -6 (honestly, I was pleased with that because there was no rhyme or reason to how I structured most of the games, and I got 3/4 of the games completely right. I just did not understand one game at all. Luckily we went over it later and I had a "duh!" moment)

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:43 pm

mickeyD wrote:I have been studying a good amount between the tests, but exclusively LR. My 171 had perfect games and a combined -10 LR, so I took this week to extensively review of the previous test, and then worked through several chapters of the LRB.

I think I got rusty on games by the end of the week. I didn't do a single game all week up until my pre-game "warm-up," which is read a chapter of the LGB, do the drills, and redo the 6 games from that chapter. In my warm-up I aced the games but made tons of basic mistakes (didn't build in not laws, poor diagram setups, misreading questions). When I got to the actual games section on the PT, those were the exact mistakes I made- got killed right off the bat on the astronauts game because I didn't organize the information, just tried to look at it, which then continued as I made a poor/confusing diagram for the car options game and incorrectly diagrammed the seats game too.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you do? Games catastrophe aside, I really got worked by the LR :lol: .


IME, the LR Bible decreased the number of problems I was missing in LR by about half. I <3 it and will probably go over it again next month (to refresh my memory).

The weird thing for me is I make TONS of mistakes when I go through the LGB, but I usually do pretty well on Logic Games during the actual test. I don't really know why. :? I'm not complaining though, I'd definitely rather miss during practice than while testing

I got a 172 on PT35...my split (# of questions missed in each section), as well as the info for other PTs I've taken, is here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=146970

I'd really recommend keeping an excel sheet or something like that to track your PTs...it's definitely helping me see patterns in what sections I'm improving in and etc etc.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Hey everyone - I will be taking the June LSAT. It will be my first and I realllllllly hope last LSAT. It seems that there are a lot of retakers, and I am wondering if it is super common to do this. My schedule doesn't really allow for a retake so I am nervous :shock: . Also, has everyone signed up already? I haven't gone and looked at centers so I didn't know if I should hold off and do that first. My diagnostic that I took back in the days of yore was a 160 and I am currently working through the LGB (I'm on Adv. Linear).

ps - how is everyone managing their PTs? I have 2 of LSAC's 10 series and it is a pain in the ass to scan all of them so that I can reuse them. Is there a better way?

User avatar
pkpop
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pkpop » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 am

Firework11 wrote: Thanks for the info. Why "D"? Is the letter good for LG and LR?

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/guessing.cfm

Took a rest day today but will hit the books again tomorrow night before the group session.

Underdog180
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Underdog180 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:49 am

Does anyone know when diagramming Logic Games, are you suppose to diagram templates too? Especially for those split-blocks that can go into like 3 options etc? I just started reading the LGB and working on the linear setup drills, and it seems like the Not Laws aren't enough to answer the question they pose, but at the same time I don't remember the bible telling me to write out templates up to this point. But, when you see the on the answer page, you can see the inference because the templates are shown for you.

bp colin
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby bp colin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone - I will be taking the June LSAT. It will be my first and I realllllllly hope last LSAT. It seems that there are a lot of retakers, and I am wondering if it is super common to do this. My schedule doesn't really allow for a retake so I am nervous :shock: . Also, has everyone signed up already? I haven't gone and looked at centers so I didn't know if I should hold off and do that first. My diagnostic that I took back in the days of yore was a 160 and I am currently working through the LGB (I'm on Adv. Linear).

ps - how is everyone managing their PTs? I have 2 of LSAC's 10 series and it is a pain in the ass to scan all of them so that I can reuse them. Is there a better way?


Study as much as you possibly can, and take as many PTs as you can, and that will greatly reduce the chances that you'll be taking multiple LSATs. Also, make sure you take your PTs in realistic testing environments. A lot of people plummet from their PT average because they were always taking tests in their comfort zone (at home or alone or with coffee, etc).

And do sign up now. You can always change your location for a minimal fee.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Don't forget, there will be another meeting of the online study group tonight at 8 pm EST.

I look forward to seeing everyone there again this week.

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Just took December 2003 Logic Games Section -4 I am going to go through some of the advanced games today, and try and hit the section again tonight. I have the powerscore system down pretty well for LG and LR. Does anyone have any advice about maybe supplementing those sections with the books from Atlas?

dimi3
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby dimi3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:25 pm

What do you guys think about the Manhattan lsat reading comprehension strategy guide ?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:32 pm

dimi3 wrote:What do you guys think about the Manhattan lsat reading comprehension strategy guide ?


In my experience, better than the blueprint or the powerscore guides/methods.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm

dimi3 wrote:What do you guys think about the Manhattan lsat reading comprehension strategy guide ?

I am just getting into the meat of it, and I have seen substantial improvement.

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby seanPtheB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
dimi3 wrote:What do you guys think about the Manhattan lsat reading comprehension strategy guide ?

I am just getting into the meat of it, and I have seen substantial improvement.


Are the Manhattan guide and the Atlas guide the same thing?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:17 pm

yeah, Atlas is now Manhattan LSAT

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby JG7773 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:23 pm

seanPtheB wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
dimi3 wrote:What do you guys think about the Manhattan lsat reading comprehension strategy guide ?

I am just getting into the meat of it, and I have seen substantial improvement.


Are the Manhattan guide and the Atlas guide the same thing?


Yes; however, they (Manhattan) just released a revamped LR guide. . . for what that is worth to your question.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anervouslsater, blueapple, btruj777, DumbHollywoodActor, LewD33, mintme, Mollie2014, mrgstephe and 11 guests