June 2011 Study Group

DonnaDraper

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby DonnaDraper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Joining this study group now. Retaking my 165 from December. I am done taking my 2 month break from the LSAT and am ready to get back into test mode. Oh man, facing a retake is painful but it is time to dive back in.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47 am

taking June 2007 PT tommorow for the MLSAT study group on Thursday.

I'm halfway through the LRB and I think it will be nice to switch gears for a bit from abstract discussion to actual practice testing. Although since I've already basically taken every practice test, I can't say with assurance that my PT scores are ever indicative of how I will actually score but it's always good to review over questions you got right & wrong and make sure you are getting the right ones right still and the wrong ones right.

:)

p.s. Who saw Watson answer 'Toronto' tonight on Final Jeopardy when the category was U.S. Cities.

blink

Postby blink » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 am

Yeah, come on Watson, Chicago was an easy answer there lol

I'm just under halfway through RCB and LGB and about 1/5 of the way through LRB. Made myself three syllabi (sp?) and am trying to stick to them as best I can. It's a lot like pithy's method, but with a few revisions. I have been going at about 3-4 hours a day, 7 days a week since late January. Shooting for a 175+ from my 160 diagnostic. Dreams of splitter status dancing in my head lol 3.3 gpa and would love some splitter love next cycle.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 am

Hey everyone, I just committed to re-taking the June LSAT (barring a miracle acceptance from Cornell or UVa).

167 on the October administration.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Hey everyone,

First post here, but I've been trolling TLS for over month. Took a cold diagnostic a month ago and hit a 155 (could only answer 10 games questions), but after working through the entire LG Bible and some of the LR Bible I got a 171 last night under time on Preptest 7!

Now I knew in advance that I had already completed one of the games on the preptests, so I substituted it with game 2 from Preptest 9, which I had never seen before. I'm sure that this skews my score to some degree, but still encouraging to get 24/24 under time.

I love reading everyone's posts and progress, it helps keep me motivated!

blink

Postby blink » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:22 pm

mickeyD wrote:Hey everyone,

First post here, but I've been trolling TLS for over month. Took a cold diagnostic a month ago and hit a 155 (could only answer 10 games questions), but after working through the entire LG Bible and some of the LR Bible I got a 171 last night under time on Preptest 7!

Now I knew in advance that I had already completed one of the games on the preptests, so I substituted it with game 2 from Preptest 9, which I had never seen before. I'm sure that this skews my score to some degree, but still encouraging to get 24/24 under time.

I love reading everyone's posts and progress, it helps keep me motivated!

Nice work! This is exactly what I hope will happen to me after I finish the bibles and take my first test since my diagnostic. I got crushed by the games as well on my diagnostic (-11) so I'm really excited to see some improvement.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm

fosterp wrote:Just a heads up for you guys still studying. Don't get complacent with your LG performance in the 30s-early 50s era of tests. The LG in those tests were far easier than the kinds we are seeing today. The last few tests have had some very difficult LG sections - not so much with any particularly hard game but the entire section as a whole becoming much more crunched for time. Make sure you practice the LG sections in the 55+ PTs and get them solid. There were so many people in Dec who were accustomed to -2 or less on games ending up missing 5+.

I was too confident in my games ability and slacked on the practice leading up to the test, and sadly reflected on my score.

thank for the advice. I have only done 6 preptests so I don't see much of a trend in hard or difficult games per se, but preptest 7 had a very difficult game (perhaps because of my lack of experience).
are the current games harder than the older ones (7-18 for example?)

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Hello my fellow TLS June study group.
I'm studying 3-4 hours a day but I think that in April i'll study more obsessively.
My question for those who studied as hard as they could, how much time and effort did you put into it? Is there a chance of burning out by June?
GOOD LUCK!

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Mauve dinosaur is tough, but not as tough as I thought it would be. Hannah killed me though.

12b6

Postby 12b6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:51 am

I tried taking the LSAT back in college (Oct 2008 if I remember right), had my score cancelled because I wasn't ready. I'm aiming to take it again in June, I plan to start TestMasters 3/31. We'll see how it goes, I'm expecting to spend plenty of time on here.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 am

12b6 wrote:I tried taking the LSAT back in college (Oct 2008 if I remember right), had my score cancelled because I wasn't ready. I'm aiming to take it again in June, I plan to start TestMasters 3/31. We'll see how it goes, I'm expecting to spend plenty of time on here.

Coolness, best of luck to you!

melletonia5612

Postby melletonia5612 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 pm

I am going to be taking the June 2011 LSAT test. I decided to bite the bullet and register for the Kaplan Review Course which will run from 2/23-6/1. I keep reading about the LSAT bibles but I am not sure what these really are. If someone can clue me in I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

TIKITEMBO wrote:I'm not starting on this obsessive study journey until February, but I wish you all the best of luck if you're starting now and know that you will have more company very soon :) My plan for studying will essentially entail taking a PT every Sunday and Wednesday until just a few days before the June test. I'll review everything I got wrong (and everything I got right) in between tests and become a flash card collector. Planning on using the bibles, PT's, and flashcards.

170+ for everyone in the group!

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 pm

i took kaplan and i was not satisfied at all
the bibles are from powerscore look them up

Cambridge LSAT

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 pm

melletonia5612 wrote:I am going to be taking the June 2011 LSAT test. I decided to bite the bullet and register for the Kaplan Review Course which will run from 2/23-6/1. I keep reading about the LSAT bibles but I am not sure what these really are. If someone can clue me in I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

Here are links to the bibles:
Logic Games Bible
Logical Reasoning Bible
Reading Comprehension Bible

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:01 pm

[quote="melletonia5612"]I am going to be taking the June 2011 LSAT test. I decided to bite the bullet and register for the Kaplan Review Course which will run from 2/23-6/1. I keep reading about the LSAT bibles but I am not sure what these really are. If someone can clue me in I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

Please don't take Kaplan. Take Powerscore, Testmasters or even Blueprint instead. I've looked at some of their materials and explanations.. they are not good!

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm

freestallion wrote:
melletonia5612 wrote:I am going to be taking the June 2011 LSAT test. I decided to bite the bullet and register for the Kaplan Review Course which will run from 2/23-6/1. I keep reading about the LSAT bibles but I am not sure what these really are. If someone can clue me in I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

Please don't take Kaplan. Take Powerscore, Testmasters or even Blueprint instead. I've looked at some of their materials and explanations.. they are not good!

Princeton Review is good as well!

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:26 pm

I took testmasters. It was honestly pretty mediocre considering the cost. Although I will point out that I had a new instructor so they weren't experienced and took the "im a chill teacher approach" which didn't work well for me. Having said that, going over the LRB for the first time for June, I realize that the Bible is basically exactly what is taught to you in a testmasters class, except $1000 cheaper. Testmasters books are pretty helpful and so is their online resource center BUT, once test day comes, you are cut off entirely from online access. I know a few other companies extend your access for 2 test cycles so you might want to look into that.

If you are kind of lazy/it takes a lot for you to sit down a study, taking the course might help you jumpstart your studying process(it did this for me) but if you are a motivated person, I would HIGHLY recommend reading the bibles, taking a few practice tests, then spending the $1,000 you had intended on using for the class for some private tutoring lessons, I assure you this money will be better spent this way. There are some people at LSAT clsses who are soooooooo fucking stupid they slow down the class so much and on the other hand, there are some students who are so full of themselves after every question they get wrong, they are convinced LSAC cheated them and refuse to accept the instructors explanation of the logic. Just my .02. I might be coming off as bitter but I thought TM class was such a waste of $1500 heh :P

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Also to the person who took PT7 games, I would recommend starting with some of the newer games. The older games aren't necessarily 'harder' but they test differnt things. Also on some of the newer tests they toss in rule substituion a lot more frequently then they did on the old practice tests. I have done the games from every PT and while I will admit taking the earlier ones is helpful because you are seeing new stuff, they shouldn't be your starting point. Maybe consider substituting the logic games section from the earlier tests as a experimental section during an actual PT.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

lakers3peat wrote:Also to the person who took PT7 games, I would recommend starting with some of the newer games. The older games aren't necessarily 'harder' but they test differnt things. Also on some of the newer tests they toss in rule substituion a lot more frequently then they did on the old practice tests. I have done the games from every PT and while I will admit taking the earlier ones is helpful because you are seeing new stuff, they shouldn't be your starting point. Maybe consider substituting the logic games section from the earlier tests as a experimental section during an actual PT.

thank you for answering my question. Do you recommend the RC bible as well?

zigster222

Postby zigster222 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 pm

started studying for the june lsat today my one major problem is i really hate doing RC prob cause im horrible at it and i fear that practice really doesnt help all that much i need some tips on how to stay motivated for it

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 pm

zigster222 wrote:started studying for the june lsat today my one major problem is i really hate doing RC prob cause im horrible at it and i fear that practice really doesnt help all that much i need some tips on how to stay motivated for it

Congrats and best of luck!

RC tips: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/ls ... -tips.html

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Being a first-time test taker, one of the most important things I feel like I've been learning has not been just the actual material, but how to study properly- for example, extensive review after taking a preptest. I always knew (from back in the SAT days) how important it was to review and see why you got a question right and why you got it wrong. But is it enough to just read it over, see why it was wrong, say "ohhhh!" and move on? Or is there more to it than that?

I've been going through each LR and RC question from Preptest 7 along with explanations from Kaplan (please don't kill me, it's all I have at the moment!) Regardless if I got it right or wrong, I've been writing down the question type, what went through my head, why I thought an answer was correct/why it was actually correct, why the other answers were generally wrong (for example "wrong answers were either out of scope or distorted the authors ideas"), and finally what made some wrong answers attractive. I also write out what I learned from each question as a "tip". For you LSAT veterans, does this sound like an effective method of review? For LG, I've been doing something similar but using Powerscore's methods (LGB).

It's taking a long time, but honestly I feel like I've learned more by reviewing this test than anything I've done so far. Especially the questions I got right, because I'm *beginning* to see their correctness in terms what makes a good argument, and not the specifics of the question.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 am

Firework11 wrote:
freestallion wrote:

Princeton Review is good as well!

Flame

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:32 pm

zigster222 wrote:started studying for the june lsat today my one major problem is i really hate doing RC prob cause im horrible at it and i fear that practice really doesnt help all that much i need some tips on how to stay motivated for it

DO NOT do this. I started out with a -15 on RC and I HATED it. Everytime I had to do a RC section I'd rather die and then after MONTHS of practice it slowly came to me. On my last PT i got a -6. I'm only able to get through 3 passages, but my accuracy is really improving. Use everything on this form to help you out and learn about RC and churn and burn through sections with extensive review. Hope this helps.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:

DO NOT do this. I started out with a -15 on RC and I HATED it. Everytime I had to do a RC section I'd rather die and then after MONTHS of practice it slowly came to me. On my last PT i got a -6. I'm only able to get through 3 passages, but my accuracy is really improving. Use everything on this form to help you out and learn about RC and churn and burn through sections with extensive review. Hope this helps.

Cool advice, that was nice of you!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”