June 2011 Study Group

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby freestallion » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:20 am

I've found that when I study and do individual sections, I usually do not get more than 3 wrong on each section, but when I sit down to do an entire 4 section test (I haven't done any 5 sections yet), I find myself getting very nervous, distracted, etc and do much more badly. I've taken only 2 full four-section tests so far and did far worse on both than I have done in my individual practice.

So this is leading me to think that I'm getting the techniques down okay but I'm struggling with stamina and nerves when I try to do all the sections at once.

I want to start taking more full-length 5 section practice tests but since it is only January, do you think it's too soon to do this? Should I save the full length tests for later or start doing them now?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby freestallion » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:22 am

accuratesite2020 wrote:
Warren Harding wrote:About how many pages a day in the LGB were you doing your first time around? Obviously this will be a bit different for everyone, just trying to get some idea.


LGB is a bear. It took me a solid month to get through it slowly with accurate note-taking. I read and broke down a chapter during a 3-day cycle, focusing on Chapter 2 which PS and many others on here have suggested. I went through the Grouping chapter 2x as well and I am entertaining a 3rd time since my pure grouping skills (matching, distribution, etc.) throw me off a bit. I picked up the Hybrid chapter pretty well. I also photocopied every game in the LGB 3-4x and have worked through them all 2x supplementing them with PT game sections. Focus on Chapter 2 for set-up help and also I found a good reference to be the Atlas LG book. It gave me a better understanding of pure sequencing (tree branch method). After doing most games about 2-3x I have really seen a dramatic improvement from -18 to -7. It has been a big jump and the LGB has been my saving grace. Any other questions, hit me up.


This is a great way to go through the LGB. I need go back and review some of the information in there. It's all definitely very useful, but what trips me up is usually when I'm unable to get a key inference, and when I find myself doing lots of hypotheticals instead of being able to know the answer right away more theoretically or through an inference. That really slows me down.

coastal112
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby coastal112 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm currently working on individual sections. Time management is not an issue, and I'm working on accuracy right now. This is my question: Is there a big difference in working with a tangible copy of the tests versus an electronic copy? I know that it's best to simulate real testing conditions, but since I am working on individual sections, do you guys think it will actually hurt me?

thouse
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:46 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby thouse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Just checking in, I have been working on Logical Reasoning specifically Assumption, Flaw, Principle, and Strengthen and Weaken Questions. Since all these question types are directly tied to the underlying assumption of an argument.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby freestallion » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 pm

thouse wrote:Just checking in, I have been working on Logical Reasoning specifically Assumption, Flaw, Principle, and Strengthen and Weaken Questions. Since all these question types are directly tied to the underlying assumption of an argument.


How are you working on those? Just studying from the LRB and taking practice questions?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby freestallion » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm

coastal112 wrote:I'm currently working on individual sections. Time management is not an issue, and I'm working on accuracy right now. This is my question: Is there a big difference in working with a tangible copy of the tests versus an electronic copy? I know that it's best to simulate real testing conditions, but since I am working on individual sections, do you guys think it will actually hurt me?


IMO it's very different. You should try to simulate real testing conditions as much as possible. It's also hard to do it online because you can't write on it, cross out answers, etc... it makes it harder, if anything.

User avatar
joebloe
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby joebloe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:37 pm

freestallion wrote:I've found that when I study and do individual sections, I usually do not get more than 3 wrong on each section, but when I sit down to do an entire 4 section test (I haven't done any 5 sections yet), I find myself getting very nervous, distracted, etc and do much more badly. I've taken only 2 full four-section tests so far and did far worse on both than I have done in my individual practice.

So this is leading me to think that I'm getting the techniques down okay but I'm struggling with stamina and nerves when I try to do all the sections at once.

I want to start taking more full-length 5 section practice tests but since it is only January, do you think it's too soon to do this? Should I save the full length tests for later or start doing them now?


I'd save them and go for 4-section tests at this point since you're reporting feeling nervous on those, but definitely plan on when you'll transition to the 5-section tests.

If you wanted to start the full-length tests now, it doesn't mean you have to keep using them until you run out. You can also recycle earlier 5-section tests if you've done lots of PTs in the interim if you want to extend your full-length test supply (possibly working on a shorter clock).

thouse
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:46 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby thouse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:04 pm

freestallion wrote:
thouse wrote:Just checking in, I have been working on Logical Reasoning specifically Assumption, Flaw, Principle, and Strengthen and Weaken Questions. Since all these question types are directly tied to the underlying assumption of an argument.


How are you working on those? Just studying from the LRB and taking practice questions?



I have the Atlas recordings from a class last year. I watch them and then go through test 7-18 or 19 and do those questions.

User avatar
Clarity
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Clarity » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 am

I am taking a class this semester and the professor gives us these "brain teaser" questions and they remind me of LSAT questions. It has really helped to motivate me to study harder for the LSAT in June.

About the study group, how long will the meetings be?

Also...anyone want to be ~Twitter~ friends? It would be nice to see updates from people about studying for the LSAT on Twitter to motivate me to actually study. PM me if you're interested. :)

hindijs1
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:17 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby hindijs1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:40 am

I will also be taking the June LSAT. I started studying a little over a month ago. I have taken 3PT so far (4 section timed). My highest score was on the last PT I took 5 days ago. A 150.. However, I feel very confident in my studying this week and feel that a 155 is comming soon! I take my PTs every weekend. I will post my progress. My actual LSAT goal is 165, but always study as if i am shooting for 180.
Also please count me in for the study group on Sunday.

User avatar
Rahsaan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:15 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Rahsaan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 pm

coastal112 wrote:I'm currently working on individual sections. Time management is not an issue, and I'm working on accuracy right now. This is my question: Is there a big difference in working with a tangible copy of the tests versus an electronic copy? I know that it's best to simulate real testing conditions, but since I am working on individual sections, do you guys think it will actually hurt me?


I have a lot of electronic copies of lsat books/tests and physical copies of them. IMO real books/tests > electronic copies. It really makes a difference. if you're having trouble getting your hands on physical copies, electronic is better than nothing tho.

Edit: I'm reading through the LRB and on page 31 it says "One test preparation company used to tell instructors that if they could not answer a student's question, they should just say that the answer was out of the scope of the argument!"

Anyone know which test prep company it is?

User avatar
david.patel
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby david.patel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
coastal112 wrote:I'm currently working on individual sections. Time management is not an issue, and I'm working on accuracy right now. This is my question: Is there a big difference in working with a tangible copy of the tests versus an electronic copy? I know that it's best to simulate real testing conditions, but since I am working on individual sections, do you guys think it will actually hurt me?


I have a lot of electronic copies of lsat books/tests and physical copies of them. IMO real books/tests > electronic copies. It really makes a difference. if you're having trouble getting your hands on physical copies, electronic is better than nothing tho.

Edit: I'm reading through the LRB and on page 31 it says "One test preparation company used to tell instructors that if they could not answer a student's question, they should just say that the answer was out of the scope of the argument!"

Anyone know which test prep company it is?


Kaplan!

User avatar
pkpop
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pkpop » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:17 pm

david.patel wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:
coastal112 wrote:I'm currently working on individual sections. Time management is not an issue, and I'm working on accuracy right now. This is my question: Is there a big difference in working with a tangible copy of the tests versus an electronic copy? I know that it's best to simulate real testing conditions, but since I am working on individual sections, do you guys think it will actually hurt me?


I have a lot of electronic copies of lsat books/tests and physical copies of them. IMO real books/tests > electronic copies. It really makes a difference. if you're having trouble getting your hands on physical copies, electronic is better than nothing tho.

Edit: I'm reading through the LRB and on page 31 it says "One test preparation company used to tell instructors that if they could not answer a student's question, they should just say that the answer was out of the scope of the argument!"

Anyone know which test prep company it is?


Kaplan!


I'm pretty sure it is Kaplan. For at least some of their preptest explanation books that I have looked over, almost every LR question "breakdown" for wrong answers has an "Out of Scope" explanation. They're not dead WRONG when they say it, but there are usually other explanations for why the choice is wrong - those other explanations will help you more than just thinking all wrong answers are out of scope IMO.

coastal112
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby coastal112 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 pm

freestallion wrote:
coastal112 wrote:I'm currently working on individual sections. Time management is not an issue, and I'm working on accuracy right now. This is my question: Is there a big difference in working with a tangible copy of the tests versus an electronic copy? I know that it's best to simulate real testing conditions, but since I am working on individual sections, do you guys think it will actually hurt me?


IMO it's very different. You should try to simulate real testing conditions as much as possible. It's also hard to do it online because you can't write on it, cross out answers, etc... it makes it harder, if anything.


Rahsaan wrote:
coastal112 wrote:I'm currently working on individual sections. Time management is not an issue, and I'm working on accuracy right now. This is my question: Is there a big difference in working with a tangible copy of the tests versus an electronic copy? I know that it's best to simulate real testing conditions, but since I am working on individual sections, do you guys think it will actually hurt me?


I have a lot of electronic copies of lsat books/tests and physical copies of them. IMO real books/tests > electronic copies. It really makes a difference. if you're having trouble getting your hands on physical copies, electronic is better than nothing tho.


Thank you, both! I just didn't feel like paying $2.50 per test (that's roughly how much it costs to print each test at my school library), but since it makes such a difference, I'll pay to print. I'd rather do well and spend some money than regret not printing later.

User avatar
Rahsaan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:15 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Rahsaan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:12 pm

If you have a pre-law advisor, see if she has copies of lsat books. borrow them. I am borrowing the lgb, lrb, and the next ten.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:06 pm

We still getting the group together for tomorrow?

User avatar
GoldenGloves
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby GoldenGloves » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Can someone fill me in on this group thing. Did I already miss the boat for it?

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Has anybody done the Zephyr Airlines game? It's killing me.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:45 pm

geverett wrote:Has anybody done the Zephyr Airlines game? It's killing me.


i remember that one being a huge time-waster.

User avatar
pkpop
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pkpop » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:02 pm

dextermorgan wrote:We still getting the group together for tomorrow?


I'll be there. Does any one know what's going to be discussed. I thought I read something about RC being a priority, but I could be wrong?


geverett wrote:Has anybody done the Zephyr Airlines game? It's killing me.


I did. Have any questions about it?

User avatar
joebloe
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby joebloe » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:07 pm

GoldenGloves wrote:Can someone fill me in on this group thing. Did I already miss the boat for it?


Same here- I seem to have missed the meeting details.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby freestallion » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:10 pm

So, I took a 4-section test today, in a coffeeshop (with LOTS of noises like dishes being stacked, screaming babies, etc) and I got a 177 :shock:
Granted, I think this was an easier/older practice test, #33, but I am still shocked because my scores fluctuate so much. Weird.
I would attribute this to 1) coffee in my system [which helps a lot, i'm addicted] 2) being more relaxed overall, and 3) good performance on one section leading to more confidence/relaxation on the next. If I do badly on the first section, I think it really throws me off. This time, 1st section was LR which helped, I guess. Also, in LG I skipped across and did all the easier games 1st which *really* helped shave off time.
S1, LR: -1
S2, RC: -2
S3, LR: -1
S4, LG: -1 (+ 1 correct guess)
:D
Another thing that probably helped: this week, I drilled logic games and practiced a few RC passages as well. LG is still my weakness because I usually run out of time. And RC is totally hit or miss still...
Another thing I've been doing is copying ALL the LR questions I am unsure of/got wrong into a word document, and reviewing them periodically. I'm also going to flag those I still don't really understand and ask a tutor about them... Highly recommended, I think it helps a lot!
Anyway, this makes me happy. Tomorrow I'll review!

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby freestallion » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:16 pm

joebloe wrote:
freestallion wrote:I've found that when I study and do individual sections, I usually do not get more than 3 wrong on each section, but when I sit down to do an entire 4 section test (I haven't done any 5 sections yet), I find myself getting very nervous, distracted, etc and do much more badly. I've taken only 2 full four-section tests so far and did far worse on both than I have done in my individual practice.

So this is leading me to think that I'm getting the techniques down okay but I'm struggling with stamina and nerves when I try to do all the sections at once.

I want to start taking more full-length 5 section practice tests but since it is only January, do you think it's too soon to do this? Should I save the full length tests for later or start doing them now?


I'd save them and go for 4-section tests at this point since you're reporting feeling nervous on those, but definitely plan on when you'll transition to the 5-section tests.

If you wanted to start the full-length tests now, it doesn't mean you have to keep using them until you run out. You can also recycle earlier 5-section tests if you've done lots of PTs in the interim if you want to extend your full-length test supply (possibly working on a shorter clock).



Thanks for your advice :D I followed it and did a 4 section test today. Went pretty well, so hopefully I'm getting less nervous about it.

User avatar
Yassig
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Yassig » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:21 pm

As far as I know, study group at 8pm EST for those that signed up. Focus to be on RC (a lesson, I believe). No idea if it's too late or not to join - I hope that someone else can chime in.

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:18 pm

I see a few questions about Sunday's group. One of the members of this thread reached out to me and we set up an online room for the room to group. I'm not sure if she's checking the thread before then, so in case not, you can e-mail me - noah(at)manhattanlsat.com and I can help you out.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, cherrygalore, dontsaywhatyoumean, govlife, lagavulinjoe, Smortensen and 22 guests