June 2011 Study Group

99.9luft

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:25 pm

elisedfra wrote:I'm interested as well. ALthough I work on Sundays until 5pm PST, so I don't know if that will work with your guys's schedule.

i'm on Pacific as well, so 7pm EST is 4pm on a sunday - not exactly my preferred time. If you guys absolutely cannot delay the study group to, say, 8pm EST, i'll try it out. Worst case scenario - we can form another, PST study group.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm

99.9luft wrote:
elisedfra wrote:I'm interested as well. ALthough I work on Sundays until 5pm PST, so I don't know if that will work with your guys's schedule.

i'm on Pacific as well, so 7pm EST is 4pm on a sunday - not exactly my preferred time. If you guys absolutely cannot delay the study group to, say, 8pm EST, i'll try it out. Worst case scenario - we can form another, PST study group.

That's fine with me if it works for everyone else. 8 pm eastern

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Okay, I just got off the phone with Noah at Manhattan LSAT. Everyone that would like to be a part of the study group please PM me with your name and email address and sign up for an account at Manhattan LSAT's website. Noah will be emailing me with the discount code for the books but he asked that you please do not email it around to others outside of the group. I told him that Sunday at 8PM eastern would be our meeting time, if this needs to change please let me know. Also, he is going to have a teacher in there for us this Sunday, I told him we would like to go over RC but if there is something in particular more people of the group would like to go over instead please let me know. He said they would prefer to do lessons than just specific things, etc.

Firework11

Postby Firework11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:41 pm

I just paid on my Princeton Review March LSAT prep course!

Best of luck everyone :D

Manash

Postby Manash » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 pm

freestallion wrote:PT 39: -17, scaled 167. Did really badly.
LG: -7 :( Didn't get to one game at all, and made 3 stupid mistakes.
LR: -3
RC: -5 :(
LR: -2 :)

My goal this week: To focus on point at issue and flaw in reasoning LR question types (which often trip me up) and do corresponding sections in Kaplan Mastery. Also to do 4 logic game sections, twice, to become faster.
Lesson learned: In LG pick an answer and move on quickly, Do not dwell on questions. Also, skip a game if it's hard. Finally, READ each question stem *carefully* because I made 3 silly mistakes by not reading the question/answers correctly.
This week: I will also do at least 1-2 RC passages in which I focus on Voyager's strategy (take notes on each paragraph, write down main point, put box around all words/definitions)

I like how you're isolating your weaknesses. All the best with the next one.

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:04 pm

LSATBuddha wrote:
Yassig wrote:I would be interested in joining a study group if this comes together - my schedule tends to be better on weekends if possible.

Yassig,i am gonna automatically disqualify you from being in this study group on the simple fact that you are a giants fan....lol

of course im jk...but really the giants?

Haha, my heart stopped for a minute until I read the reason. Give me a break, I grew up in AZ during the 80's and 90's, so I had to pick a team that wasn't the Cardinals. :P

Thanks again for setting up the study group. And I'm sorry, did someone mention sleep? What's that like?

Excel

Postby Excel » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Im reviewing the PT from the lsac website (the one about films harvest, limelight, geed). #10, sec 1 makes no sense to me.

My question is: when the question itself poses a new set of rules, such as question 10, do the rules listed at the beginning hold any weight? Because if so...IDK how the answer makes sense. Greed clearly s the iflm thas air on sunday, and thats its only showing of the festival, therefore it wouldnt be eligible to air friday, which is what the answer states.

elisedfra

Postby elisedfra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm

99.9luft wrote:

8pm works great for me as well!

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 pm

neeko wrote:Okay, I just got off the phone with Noah at Manhattan LSAT. Everyone that would like to be a part of the study group please PM me with your name and email address and sign up for an account at Manhattan LSAT's website. Noah will be emailing me with the discount code for the books but he asked that you please do not email it around to others outside of the group. I told him that Sunday at 8PM eastern would be our meeting time, if this needs to change please let me know. Also, he is going to have a teacher in there for us this Sunday, I told him we would like to go over RC but if there is something in particular more people of the group would like to go over instead please let me know. He said they would prefer to do lessons than just specific things, etc.

What is Manhattan LSAT? Do they use LR bible, LG bible as their study material or something else?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Miracle wrote:
neeko wrote:Okay, I just got off the phone with Noah at Manhattan LSAT. Everyone that would like to be a part of the study group please PM me with your name and email address and sign up for an account at Manhattan LSAT's website. Noah will be emailing me with the discount code for the books but he asked that you please do not email it around to others outside of the group. I told him that Sunday at 8PM eastern would be our meeting time, if this needs to change please let me know. Also, he is going to have a teacher in there for us this Sunday, I told him we would like to go over RC but if there is something in particular more people of the group would like to go over instead please let me know. He said they would prefer to do lessons than just specific things, etc.

What is Manhattan LSAT? Do they use LR bible, LG bible as their study material or something else?

formerly Atlas (http://www.manhattanlsat.com/). No the have their own guides, which are different. I recommend the RC guide.

Excel

Postby Excel » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 am

where does everybody get their tests from?

i have tests 7-38; where can i buy 1-6 and 39-61?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 am

Excel wrote:where does everybody get their tests from?

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 am

Miracle wrote:

It's the prep company that is sponsoring a study group for us. You can use whichever books you would like but they are offering a discount for group members on their books.

Manash

Postby Manash » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 am

I have about 12 tests for sale. From the 40's to the 50's. I can get you the accurate number when I get home. Selling for $6 a test. You save $2 on each test. These are brand new.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 am

Has anyone done PT 21 LG 3? I couldn't figure how to set it up or inferences that you could draw.
Usually I've gotten each game done in 5-6 minutes but this one took me 12 minutes. :shock:
I redid it this morning and it didn't really seem hard, but I still couldn't figure out any inferences to draw.

Excel

Postby Excel » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 am

99.9luft wrote:

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

ah, thanks

Master_Splinter

Postby Master_Splinter » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster, joining in on the June 2011 domination! I was on track for this past October, but got sidetracked with work. No excuses this time!

The Manhattan study group sounds like a great idea, count me in.

Warren Harding

Postby Warren Harding » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

About how many pages a day in the LGB were you doing your first time around? Obviously this will be a bit different for everyone, just trying to get some idea.

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Rescheduled so I could get in on the June exam. Read through all the previous discussion to hear how everyone's starting out. I'm definitely getting pumped. +1 for those who have highlighted the personal care aspect of prep (i.e. nutrition, exercise, rest); it's essential to maintain oneself in order to perform well.

Also, just want to say that I've been reading TLS for quite some time now, & I don't think there's any better resource out there for prep. Thanks to everyone for contributing. Let's do this.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:31 pm

Also excited to get started again. I had been studying for December but did not feel ready. After a short break I'm ready to get back to it. Also looking forward to working with you guys in the study group.

Underdog180

Postby Underdog180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Would you guys recommend using older preptests or the newer preptests? Which one replicates the actual test now? I know some people have said to do the older tests and work your way up to the newer ones, but if you don't have much time to do all that, would it be safer to just practice with the newer ones? And how much has the tests actually changed over time?

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:46 am

stlisforlovers wrote:Has anyone done PT 21 LG 3? I couldn't figure how to set it up or inferences that you could draw.
Usually I've gotten each game done in 5-6 minutes but this one took me 12 minutes. :shock:
I redid it this morning and it didn't really seem hard, but I still couldn't figure out any inferences to draw.

With this particular game, I don't think there are any inferences to draw from the rules. There isn't a variable that is mentioned twice so you can't begin to link rules together. I think the key to this particular game ends up being that you have 3 hypo's that you can pull from and "X" is fixed in each one of them.

Hypo 1: Hostels on Monday / Tuesday (This would force "U" into Wednesday AM, Q/R into Wednesday PM, "X" into Thursday AM, with Y > Z remaining
Hypo 2: Hostels on Tuesday / Wednesday (This would force "U" into Monday AM, Q/R into Monday PM, "X" into Thursday AM, with Y>Z remaining
Hypo 3: Hostels on Friday Saturday (This would only force "X" into Thursday AM, and "Z" into Thursday PM. U,Q,R, and Y are opens.

This is how I set it up. . hope this helps.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 am

Underdog180 wrote:Would you guys recommend using older preptests or the newer preptests? Which one replicates the actual test now? I know some people have said to do the older tests and work your way up to the newer ones, but if you don't have much time to do all that, would it be safer to just practice with the newer ones? And how much has the tests actually changed over time?

They have changed significantly over time. Emergence of comparative RC passages, elimination of certain LG types, elimination (I think!) of multiquestion LR stimuli, adjustments of how common various questions are, etc. And I think LG has been getting harder.

Most would agree that you should save the newest PTs for the very end of your prep since they'll be the most similar to what you'll experience on test day. Towards the end, since you'll be pretty familiar with all the question types and approaches to them, you'll probably be working more on your timing strategies, and it's probably best to practice those under very realistic conditions.

amols

Postby amols » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:53 am

Hey, everyone!

I posted in this thread a few weeks ago, but I have been really busy with work.

I would also like to join the study group. I think it's an amazing idea. Neeko, I'm going to pm you right now.

accuratesite2020

Postby accuratesite2020 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 am

Warren Harding wrote:About how many pages a day in the LGB were you doing your first time around? Obviously this will be a bit different for everyone, just trying to get some idea.

LGB is a bear. It took me a solid month to get through it slowly with accurate note-taking. I read and broke down a chapter during a 3-day cycle, focusing on Chapter 2 which PS and many others on here have suggested. I went through the Grouping chapter 2x as well and I am entertaining a 3rd time since my pure grouping skills (matching, distribution, etc.) throw me off a bit. I picked up the Hybrid chapter pretty well. I also photocopied every game in the LGB 3-4x and have worked through them all 2x supplementing them with PT game sections. Focus on Chapter 2 for set-up help and also I found a good reference to be the Atlas LG book. It gave me a better understanding of pure sequencing (tree branch method). After doing most games about 2-3x I have really seen a dramatic improvement from -18 to -7. It has been a big jump and the LGB has been my saving grace. Any other questions, hit me up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”