June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Eichörnchen

Silver

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri May 13, 2011 3:34 pm

theaether wrote:fuck YES FU LSAC for making me feel stupid all these months
SuperPrep C with PT23.2 (LR)
LG: -0
LR1: -2
LRe: -2
LR2: -1
RC: 0

98/101 --> 180

it's so good knowing that it's at least within reach, that there isn't some impenetrable barrier
Woooahhh! I hope to do this too! That has to feel amazing. Nice work! :D (and in SP no less).

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Figured this close to the test we all need a bit of a booster. So I'm here to tell y'all that I'm from the future and this is how we're all gonna feel after June 6th:

lolol image posting fail >_>

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri May 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Just ordered the Superprep... I'm a noob so I didn't realize they were separate tests from the numbered ones.

Now I'm just missing 61 and 62

Naila23

New

Post by Naila23 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi guys,

I am also giving my LSAT and I found this guy online, who guarantees a high score with his course, Mike Barett...his approach is completely different..it would be great if someone could take a look at his site and tell me what you think. http://www.acethelsat.com/

thanks

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri May 13, 2011 7:31 pm

soj wrote:Holy shit, congrats! -0 RC and -0 LG in SP C ... dayum, that is no joke.
I second that!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Isn't this the kid Eich's babysitting?
crumpetsandtea wrote: Image

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri May 13, 2011 7:40 pm

After my PT52 = 166 debacle the other day, I took PT53 today and am hoping I made it up somewhat. At least I did not leave 2 LG questions undone like for PT52. I thought the RC was hard, LG's G2 was crazy and LR1 was not easy at all. For all the folks who think the LGs are getting easier in the early 50s, I think they start getting harder in the late 50s (at least for me). The LGs in PT57, PT62 and Feb 2011 are very tricky.

Naila23

New

Post by Naila23 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:36 pm

jim-green wrote:After my PT52 = 166 debacle the other day, I took PT53 today and am hoping I made it up somewhat. At least I did not leave 2 LG questions undone like for PT52. I thought the RC was hard, LG's G2 was crazy and LR1 was not easy at all. For all the folks who think the LGs are getting easier in the early 50s, I think they start getting harder in the late 50s (at least for me). The LGs in PT57, PT62 and Feb 2011 are very tricky.
what is PT52 AND PT53 and what do you mean by early 50s and late 50s :s

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri May 13, 2011 8:43 pm

jim-green wrote:After my PT52 = 166 debacle the other day, I took PT53 today and am hoping I made it up somewhat. At least I did not leave 2 LG questions undone like for PT52. I thought the RC was hard, LG's G2 was crazy and LR1 was not easy at all. For all the folks who think the LGs are getting easier in the early 50s, I think they start getting harder in the late 50s (at least for me). The LGs in PT57, PT62 and Feb 2011 are very tricky.

When I prepped for last years october test I noticed that PTs 52 and 53 were more difficult than the rest. Logic Games take a turn where IMO there is at least one game where you need to read the clues and the paragraph very carefully, or it is super easy to make the wrong diagram- and you run into trouble. I classified these as hybrids, as they usually are parts of 2 game types tied together in such a way that its perfectly doable- but you need to be able to recognize the attack strategy for both types ( sequencing and grouping, for example) and be able to merge them when you attack. The clues generally create a major deduction that makes the game bearable, but it may be hard to see. Thats why I think doing all of the games from pt 50 till the most recent one available 3 times will help igure this out. Since there is only 3 weeks left until game day, this may not lend itself to being doable, but its something to watch out. I think LSAC is trying to respond to all of the prep companies out there and want to increase the difficulty of all sections, but LG is the most noticable.

IF you have prepped diligently for the past 3 months, keep your confidence level high. A lot of people take the test not as prepared as you all are. You have set yourself up to be ina great position- and it will show on game day! Best of luck, you all got this!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri May 13, 2011 8:45 pm

By the way as a heads up: If you suffer from seasonal allergies, now is the time to start seeing how allergy medicine affects your performance, and compare that to your performance if you dont take it ( and you allegies act up). YOu dont konw how the allergy count will be on test day, but its another variable out there that will affect your performance. Just be ready to respond to this- and its one less thing to worry about!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri May 13, 2011 8:49 pm

jim-green wrote:Isn't this the kid Eich's babysitting?
crumpetsandtea wrote: Image
Hahaha! They look to be about the same age, but the baby I watch hasn't vanquished the LSAT like that baby appears to have. Well, she hasn't yet anyway. Maybe after sitting in on a few more RC practices like I had her do last week. ;)

mickeyD

Bronze

Post by mickeyD » Fri May 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Finals + end of semester move out are creating a forced break from prep til Tuesday. Taking PT 56 tomorrow through my TM class, though.

Really starting to get antsy about the test, as I haven't really made any strides in LR in the past couple weeks. I'm thinking that I'm going to focus on games during this home stretch because I think that the most important thing I can do at this point is solidify that -0. I've made improvements in LR, but it's still too unpredictable as I can go anywhere from -3 to -7 total. But maintaining my RC (-1/2) and putting down a perfect games section should be enough to keep me above 170, so I'm going to be hammering games sections between now and June 6. In the next 3 weeks I plan on doing every single timed games section, now that school's out I think it shouldn't be a problem.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri May 13, 2011 11:23 pm

PT48
LR1: -1
LRe (PT22 S2 LR1): -0
RC: -1
Raw: -3
Scaled: 177

I think this was the last of the -8 curve tests I had remaining. It felt easier than most other tests.

I dodged quite a few bullets in LR--I had marked exactly 4 questions in each section (LR1, LRe, LR2) as unsure, but only got a total of 2 wrong.

RC felt easy (I don't often get to say that) except Passage 2, in which I marked 3 Qs as unsure. I ended up getting the metaphor question wrong. I've noticed these are becoming more common in the recent tests, and they're almost always pretty tricky, mostly because I have trouble figuring out which aspect of the quoted text I should be looking for. Passage 4 (embryo polarity) was actually kind of fun, even though I don't have any significant science background. Learning can be fun sometimes, I guess. :roll:

I almost got 2 wrong in LG due to misreading and misdiagramming a local diagram, but managed to catch my mistakes during the time remaining.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 pm

soj wrote:PT48
LR1: -1
LRe (PT22 S2 LR1): -0
RC: -1
Raw: -3
Scaled: 177

I think this was the last of the -8 curve tests I had remaining. It felt easier than most other tests.

I dodged quite a few bullets in LR--I had marked exactly 4 questions in each section (LR1, LRe, LR2) as unsure, but only got a total of 2 wrong.

RC felt easy (I don't often get to say that) except Passage 2, in which I marked 3 Qs as unsure. I ended up getting the metaphor question wrong. I've noticed these are becoming more common in the recent tests, and they're almost always pretty tricky, mostly because I have trouble figuring out which aspect of the quoted text I should be looking for. Passage 4 (embryo polarity) was actually kind of fun, even though I don't have any significant science background. Learning can be fun sometimes, I guess. :roll:

I almost got 2 wrong in LG due to misreading and misdiagramming a local diagram, but managed to catch my mistakes during the time remaining.
I'm doing this one on Sunday. What is a -8 curve test?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri May 13, 2011 11:28 pm

A test where you can't get any more than 8 questions wrong if you want a 170 or higher. It's pretty rare--I think there are only 2 or 3 of them, most famously PT51.5 (the free one on LSAC). IIRC there are no -7 curve tests.

Just checked really quickly--in fact, 51.5 and 48 are the only -8 curve tests, and -8 is the toughest LSAT curve in existence.
Last edited by soj on Fri May 13, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri May 13, 2011 11:29 pm

-8 curve test is a test where you can miss up to 8 questions and still score a 170. Most tests allow you to miss 11 or so questions and end up with a scaled score of 170.

Generally if LSAC thinks the test ( from experimental sections) is easy- the curve is lower. If they think it is more difficult- the curve is higher. They use the experimentals to get a gage of how hard or easy the section is- and to see trends in scoring and question breakdown. They dont release the curve until the test is released, so if you take a test ( february) that is non disclosed, you wont be able to know for sure what it is.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri May 13, 2011 11:33 pm

soj wrote:A test where you can't get any more than 8 questions wrong if you want a 170 or higher. It's pretty rare--I think there are only 2 or 3 of them, most famously PT51.5 (the free one on LSAC). IIRC there are no -7 curve tests.

Just checked really quickly--in fact, 51.5 and 48 are the only -8 curve tests, and -8 is the toughest LSAT curve in existence.
Wow, I picked out 48 randomly. Funny because I took 51.5 last weekend, got -10 and was REALLY excited because I thought it'd be my first 170, and to my dismay I wound up with my PT average of 168. Well, hopefully I'll do better on this one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat May 14, 2011 12:35 am

northwood wrote:-8 curve test is a test where you can miss up to 8 questions and still score a 170. Most tests allow you to miss 11 or so questions and end up with a scaled score of 170.

Generally if LSAC thinks the test ( from experimental sections) is easy- the curve is lower. If they think it is more difficult- the curve is higher. They use the experimentals to get a gage of how hard or easy the section is- and to see trends in scoring and question breakdown. They dont release the curve until the test is released, so if you take a test ( february) that is non disclosed, you wont be able to know for sure what it is.
Exactly. I'm tired of ppl posting wrong info like the fact that the 'curve' is determined by how we do on the day of the test. If anything, the relevant question should be: how did people feel about the February test (and its experimentals)?

ETA: the Oct. thread are a bunch of overachievers (jk, good luck to them!) whose scaled score will be determined on 6/6/11.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat May 14, 2011 12:40 am

Last edited by 99.9luft on Sat May 14, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 am

Strange wrote:
soj wrote:A test where you can't get any more than 8 questions wrong if you want a 170 or higher. It's pretty rare--I think there are only 2 or 3 of them, most famously PT51.5 (the free one on LSAC). IIRC there are no -7 curve tests.

Wow, I picked out 48 randomly. Funny because I took 51.5 last weekend, got -10 and was REALLY excited because I thought it'd be my first 170, and to my dismay I wound up with my PT average of 168. Well, hopefully I'll do better on this one.
Hey! Got your PM. Will send you 61 in exchange. Can't PM you for some reason (your privacy settings probably), so PM me your email address. Thanks.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat May 14, 2011 2:30 am

99.9luft wrote:
Strange wrote:

Hey! Got your PM. Will send you 61 in exchange. Can't PM you for some reason (your privacy settings probably), so PM me your email address. Thanks.
Monday is fine by me, but I can send you mine now if you want, so just PM me your email (still can't reply to your PMs).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat May 14, 2011 2:47 am

In other news, I only have 8 PTs left and even if I take them every other day, I still have a 9-day gap. Thinking of taking 2 PTs in the upcoming days and then going on a 9-day gap review of all wrong answers since the April PTing started. Then time the remaining 6 PTs so they lead up to June 6th.

Think it's a good idea? I guess an alternative would be to not make a 9-day gap but instead to PT every 2-3 days, in which case I am afraid I may get rusty/complacent.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sat May 14, 2011 10:42 am

northwood wrote:When I prepped for last years october test I noticed that PTs 52 and 53 were more difficult than the rest. Logic Games take a turn where IMO there is at least one game where you need to read the clues and the paragraph very carefully, or it is super easy to make the wrong diagram- and you run into trouble.
Thanks, that made me feel better about doing badly on PT52. I'll score my PT53 today...been putting it off since PT52 was so bad. Were you just saying PT52 is hard or were you really serious? I've realized something - For necc ass Qs, words like only, all, always, never, no are a danger. Anyone else care to share their scores on PT52 here?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat May 14, 2011 11:03 am

jim-green wrote:
northwood wrote:When I prepped for last years october test I noticed that PTs 52 and 53 were more difficult than the rest. Logic Games take a turn where IMO there is at least one game where you need to read the clues and the paragraph very carefully, or it is super easy to make the wrong diagram- and you run into trouble.
Thanks, that made me feel better about doing badly on PT52. I'll score my PT53 today...been putting it off since PT52 was so bad. Were you just saying PT52 is hard or were you really serious? I've realized something - For necc ass Qs, words like only, all, always, never, no are a danger. Anyone else care to share their scores on PT52 here?

When I took Pt 52 I finished one of the LR sections and was thinking " wow i suck" When I got to the LG section there was one game that I saved for last, and didnt really understand it at all ( I forgot what game, but i was just mind blown) The other LR section was a bit more challenging- but I ended up scoring within my normal range. When I took the RC section- I was at the point where i could go either really well, or really bad- the section didnt jell for me until right before the october test ( like 3 weeks out). I ended up with a -12 on that LR section and a -8 on the LG. Normally I was a -4 LG and a -7 LR on the pts before it, so the change was noticable. I had to take a day or 2 off from studying to get my confidence up after that one.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sat May 14, 2011 11:25 am

northwood wrote:When I took Pt 52 I finished one of the LR sections and was thinking " wow i suck" When I got to the LG section there was one game that I saved for last, and didnt really understand it at all ( I forgot what game, but i was just mind blown) The other LR section was a bit more challenging- but I ended up scoring within my normal range. When I took the RC section- I was at the point where i could go either really well, or really bad- the section didnt jell for me until right before the october test ( like 3 weeks out). I ended up with a -12 on that LR section and a -8 on the LG. Normally I was a -4 LG and a -7 LR on the pts before it, so the change was noticable. I had to take a day or 2 off from studying to get my confidence up after that one.
Thanks again, that game u found tough is G2. Impossible game with 2 exclusive ORs in the middle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”