June 2011 Study Group

mickeyD

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby mickeyD » Sat May 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Halfway through PT48. I don't think I've ever seen an easier games section, or an easier individual game than game 1. Of course by saying this the LSAT gods will probably smite me with an -10 epic misbubble.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat May 07, 2011 3:44 pm

mickeyD wrote:Halfway through PT48. I don't think I've ever seen an easier games section, or an easier individual game than game 1. Of course by saying this the LSAT gods will probably smite me with an -10 epic misbubble.

Kill it Kill it Kill it Kill it Kill it Kill it :mrgreen:

judgekozinski

Postby judgekozinski » Sat May 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Okay I'm back, just giving an update on my LSAT progress. Just took Prep Test 57 and got a... 166. This is good considering it is my highest score of a PT taken at the Princeton Review. But this score is still lower than my all-time best of 168 and I definitely know I can do better.

Notably, my games sucked on this PT! I got -5 and although this is the test with the infamous DINOSAUR GAME, sure that game slowed me down but it was the game after that that I dropped the ball on. I'm angry at myself for screwing up one of the easier games instead of the hard one. I think the fact that the dino game took me so long it made me keep thinking about it after I was done. Note to self, do a game and forget about it until you are finished with all of the games.

I think the funniest part about this test was the fact that my brain kept telling me to just give up on the LG. Haha stupid brain, I kept going despite your wishes. Although you did trick me on the last game. Can't we just get along? I promise I'll stop torturing you with LSAT after the exam. At least until law school begins...

My LR looked better than normal. -6 all together on these. I've started going a lot faster on this section and RC. This was a very important fix to my strategy on LG. RC was on the low side at -6. I tend to get better RC scores and really should have done better on this section. Back to studying, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress I can make up until June.

judgekozinski

Postby judgekozinski » Sat May 07, 2011 5:39 pm

mickeyD wrote:
soj wrote:PT50
LRe (PT21 S2): -0
RC: -1
LR1: -2
LG: -0
LR2: -0
Raw: -3
Scaled: 179

If the TLS user is MickeyD, then he is jealous.

Correction:
If the TLS user is not jealous, then he is not Mickey D and not judgekozinski.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sat May 07, 2011 6:37 pm

PT48
LR1: -1
LG: 0
RC: -4
LR2: -2
Raw: -7
Scaled: 171

Wow. Absolutely brutal scale, most likely due to the LG cakewalk. I honestly think I finished the first game in under 3 minutes.

Missed out on my first -0 once again due to a really easy main point question on #8. LR2 probably could have been a -1 if I had moved a little faster from 16-22. I finished the first 15 Qs in 15 minutes, but then had to finish the last 4 in 5 minutes, missing the last Q, which wasn't that hard. Still, -3 is my best ever.

RC was my worst ever since my diagnostic. Passage 2, about Louise Gluck's poetry and gender issues, was definitely challenging.

I think my lack of consistent PTing is starting to show- in the past 9 weeks I've only taken 10 PTs. I feel like I'm a minute slower than I need to be in LR and RC. I always finish the sections, but never have time left. With the bulk of my LR practice being untimed, I've never even thought about pacing, and my time management sucks. Sometimes I finish the early-section LR questions so quickly that I get uneasy and spend 20 seconds rereading and verifying them to myself. On the first logic game I spent a full minute reviewing it before moving on because it seemed so easy.

Speaking of being a n00b during PTs, I forgot to bubble my ACs for LG, but I feel okay with not giving myself a -22, considering I had 5 minutes at the end of the section which I spent checking my answers, none of which I changed.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sat May 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Ugh... I'm not taking PT's at starbucks anymore. Christ....

tiniestdancer7

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:41 pm

I used to do that! hmm pt on a saturday night? yes!

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Sat May 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Just a heads up...I'll be at the Sunday night session, but I won't be at PT review tomorrow afternoon (PT 53). If anyone wants to go over some of the questions with me on Monday that would be great.

theaether

Postby theaether » Sat May 07, 2011 10:43 pm

First time trying a PT at night. Ran out of time in every section, pure guessed last 3 questions in LG. Very disappointed. Huge waste of a PT. Never taking a night PT again~ I wrote this at the break and upon starting the 4th section realized that I could save the last 2 sections for timed practice at some more optimal test-taking time. It's not like I need to train for the chance of the LSAT testing me on resiliency past 10PM. Ohh man dumb dumb dumb dumb

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat May 07, 2011 10:54 pm

theaether wrote:First time trying a PT at night. Ran out of time in every section, pure guessed last 3 questions in LG. Very disappointed. Huge waste of a PT. Never taking a night PT again~ I wrote this at the break and upon starting the 4th section realized that I could save the last 2 sections for timed practice at some more optimal test-taking time. It's not like I need to train for the chance of the LSAT testing me on resiliency past 10PM. Ohh man dumb dumb dumb dumb

Haha I think most of us do this at some point. I did a PT that I was finishing up past 11pm once. It was not pretty.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sun May 08, 2011 11:20 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
theaether wrote:First time trying a PT at night. Ran out of time in every section, pure guessed last 3 questions in LG. Very disappointed. Huge waste of a PT. Never taking a night PT again
Haha I think most of us do this at some point. I did a PT that I was finishing up past 11pm once. It was not pretty.
I did a PT from 5pm-9pm at a Dunkin Donuts in Feb, but did ok. Does that qualify?

koob

Postby koob » Sun May 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm going to jump into this thread to hopefully get motivation. I started studying for the LSAT all the way back in January, and was doing pretty well with studying up until about a month ago. I went through a pretty rough break-up with the guy I'd been living with for three years, and between that and studying for final exams the LSAT got pushed aside. So now, with one month left, I'm back to studying. I've done a few timed sections, but it's been since the beginning of April since I did a full prep test. This afternoon I'm doing 51. I'll post my results later. I've been scoring in the 163-167 range. Obviously, I would like a 170+. I'm not sure if that's going to be possible at this point, but we'll see what a month intense prepping can do.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm

I am going to start posting my prep scores to shame myself into studying more.

Today I took #28

LR: -2
LG: -3
LR: -3
-9, Raw: 92
Scaled: 173

I have been hitting LR hard so that's not too surprising. Already knew I needed work there. I need to do some extra LG sections because I ran out of time at the end. Glad to see I did well on RC because I haven't prepped for it at all and I hate it so I'd rather not have to.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun May 08, 2011 3:12 pm

mushybrain wrote:I am going to start posting my prep scores to shame myself into studying more.

Today I took #28

LR: -2
LG: -3
LR: -3
-9, Raw: 92
Scaled: 173

I have been hitting LR hard so that's not too surprising. Already knew I needed work there. I need to do some extra LG sections because I ran out of time at the end. Glad to see I did well on RC because I haven't prepped for it at all and I hate it so I'd rather not have to.

A 173 and you're ashamed? :shock: yep, I should start thinking of Oct. :)

OhOkay

Postby OhOkay » Sun May 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Has anyone been doing 30-minute sections? I'm wondering about the value of this... I've done it on the last two PTs I took (but cheated and allowed myself 35 mins on a tough LG and a tough RC section). I don't know that this is helping me, because it might actually be hurting my accuracy. Perhaps I'll try to do 30 minute sections but then force myself to review questions I marked as difficult in the last five minutes? Anyone have any experience/helpful input?

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun May 08, 2011 4:07 pm

On break from PT51. A little nervous about my LG section... the last game tripped me up a bit, because it wasn't clear that all five items needed to be recycled, but I eventually decided to infer that anyways. With the way my LR/RC sections are going I need a -0 on LG to get to where I need to be.... oh well, back to it.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sun May 08, 2011 4:59 pm

OhOkay wrote:Has anyone been doing 30-minute sections? I'm wondering about the value of this... I've done it on the last two PTs I took (but cheated and allowed myself 35 mins on a tough LG and a tough RC section). Anyone have any experience/helpful input?
I'd like to hear people's opinion on this too. I know Soj recommended doing it. My problem is that I have done almost all PTs. When I redo a PT, I remember all the answers. Hence Soj recommended giving myself 5 min less. But I am worried I may develop a habit to rush the clock and not be careful. Then, I may do it on the real LSAT.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sun May 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Haha, it's not that I don't like that score, it's just that I need you all to hold me accountable!

Re: giving yourself less time, I guess that might be helpful on questions you've already done before and are familiar with. I don't find it helpful on new sections that I haven't seen before because I start out anxious because I'm aware of the extra limit on the time. I can't trick myself into pretending it's normal and I psych myself out. When I just do it with the normal amount of time I'm able to finish with 6-7 minutes to spare on two sections per PT, usually, because I'm not wasting energy freaking out and I can work through without overthinking.

amols

Postby amols » Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Hey, everyone.

I hope your studying is going well. Just wanted to let you all know I won't be in the group this evening because of the holiday (going to the movies with the fam)! :) See you next time.

jim-green

PT51orBust

Postby jim-green » Sun May 08, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm in the middle of the break between sections of PT51. I know LSAC gives you only 10 min on the real LSAT, and I planned to take only 10 min today. But it is sunny and 70, so I'm taking 4 hours. Went to the park and library. And I'll begin the last 2 sections in an hr or so. The RC section killed me, so I am posting here to let you know. RC took me the full 35 min.

Amols, what's the holiday today? Oh, you mean mother's day?

Also, pk, what are we discussing tonight in the room at 8 pm?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun May 08, 2011 7:29 pm

amols wrote:Hey, everyone.

I hope your studying is going well. Just wanted to let you all know I won't be in the group this evening because of the holiday (going to the movies with the fam)! :) See you next time.

Hey all I probably won't be in the room for group either - I am taking the evening to do some LSAT pondering and some making of pro/con lists :|

Soo...just out of curiosity...HYS generally average and are cancellations seen as a negative?

blink

Postby blink » Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
amols wrote:Hey, everyone.

Hey all I probably won't be in the room for group either - I am taking the evening to do some LSAT pondering and some making of pro/con lists :|

Soo...just out of curiosity...HYS generally average and are cancellations seen as a negative?

I doubt cancellations are seen as a negative...things come up/people get sick etc.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun May 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Really frustrated after taking PT51 today. Finally got a raw score of 90 after only missing ten questions, but the rough curve landed me right back with a 168

LG: -1
LR1: -2
LR2: -3
RC: -4
RC (exp): -1

168 is what I was averaging before April, so I basically haven't improved AT ALL after a month of studying. It's remarkable that this is the FIFTH CONSECUTIVE timed PT I've taken to score a 168 on. Starting to look less and less likely I'll reach my goal of 170. Not a huge deal since I can retake in October but I was hoping to have an LSAT-free summer.

I also found myself losing focus and steam after the break. Any suggestion for this? Certainly its reflected in my score. I might try eating a nutrition bar next time.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:44 pm

took superprep b yesterday, much like superprep a kind of hit or miss.

LR1: -1 (missed #21, a tricky one i didnt like my answer choice (E) but i missed the subtle wording and hence the assumption)
LG: -8 (made a really silly mistake on the first game (diagrammed N-S rather than N-T, so that cost me 3 questions and 11 min, pretty painful esp b/c i felt the games would have been okay if i wasnt shaken up/having to move quickly)
RC:-0 (second straight perfect reading comp, extremely pleased with it, unfortunately i know the sections get tougher but i'm still going to be happy about it)
LR2: -1 (missed #15, got too caught up in teh discussion of social sciences and the correct answer just didn't jump out and i chose an answer i didn't love, which i know is a sign but oh well)

Raw: 91
Scaled: 174

overall really happy with my LR and RC performance (though i would like to get a perfect LR performance once), felt that i got a little lucky on some of the trickier LR questions so i'll def have to spend some time really reviewing. i don't know what my deal has been with the logic games in the superprep series, i knew going in that they were tough, but i'm making mistakes i don't usually make and making them a lot harder than they have to be, hope i can get that under control soon. really i just gotta take my time.

i was wondering though if anyone could help me out with the 2nd game of the section, particularly the third rule. i got ~y= L and ~O or ~y=~L and O, and that if ~L and ~O=Y, but i'm still struggling to wrap my head around why both of them being in means Y has to be in as well. is that b/c the opposite of one of them being out could be both of them out, or both of htem in? i guess i was just a little annoyed with the matter of factness of LSAC's explanation of it. thanks a lot. also i'd be curious to see how everyone diagrammed this game. manhattanlsat's diagram got really messy, but making a huge chain wasn't much better.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sun May 08, 2011 10:27 pm

I just completed PrepTest 56, including a 5th section. I got the highest score I've yet to get on the test.

Is 56 particularly easy, or am I showing significant improvement, since it's +8 over my last one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”