June 2011 Study Group

geverett

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:04 pm

-7 on PT 49 RC. I even redid it untimed and got the same thing only missing different questions. sucks.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Just got worked by three of the toughest assumption questions out there. Kudos to anyone who can go 3/3 on these. Naturally I got them all wrong.

Necessary Assumption
PT28, LR2 #16 (mercury)

Sufficient Assumption
PT21, LR1 #20
PT46, LR2 #24

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:02 pm

geverett wrote:-7 on PT 49 RC. I even redid it untimed and got the same thing only missing different questions. sucks.

I share your plight. Drilling RC tonight. My average over 5 sections: -5. The only real practice I've put in to RC up to this point is doing PTs. I'm an idiot!

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:08 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote: Drilling RC tonight.

I'll be joining you tomorrow. Saved RC for last in my 4-day drilling exercise.

Viper

Postby Viper » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:08 am

Just did PT 26. Feeling stoked about the results!!!

LG: -0 (24/24)
LR1: -4 (21/25)
LR2: -3 (22/25) - took 37 minutes...o well
RC: -7 (20/27) --- only finished 3 passages in time, but i definitely picked the right one to skip, when i finished my last passage (Q1-5) I only got 2 additional correct

raw score: -14 / 87
scaled score: 170

This is my first complete PT, and consequently the first RC section, since i stopped studying for the LSAT in October. This tops my old raw and scaled scores of 83 and 165. Hopefully this isn't a fluke, and that I truly am breaking out of the low to mid 160s range.

In the past 2 weeks my LR has seen a drop from an average of 5-7 wrong to 2-4 wrong, thanks to extensive drilling. I've had one -1 so far, still waiting for the -0 to come. I have yet to start flipping through the LR Bible, I think I'm going to do that after I do PT 27 and PT 28.

mickeyD wrote:Just got worked by three of the toughest assumption questions out there. Kudos to anyone who can go 3/3 on these. Naturally I got them all wrong.

Necessary Assumption
PT28, LR2 #16 (mercury)

Sufficient Assumption
PT21, LR1 #20
PT46, LR2 #24

I've noticed assumption questions have quickly changed from one of my worst LR question types to my best. I don't have PT 46 yet, but i can gladly explain the 2 from PTs 21 and 28 if you would like.

Viper

Postby Viper » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:07 am

PT 27 complete.

LR1: -8 (18/26) -- This made me want to cry, i got blindsided by way too many questions
LG: -3 (21/24) -- One of my worst logic games scores, i even went over by about 30 seconds
RC: -6 (20/26) -- I barely managed to finish in time, which is a great success for me, i'm a horribly slow reader
LR2: -3 (22/25)

raw score: -20 / 81
scaled score: 167

Given the steep curve for this test (90 = 174?!) I guess I did pretty good. -8 on LR1 kind of frustrates me though.

Now that I've done 2 PTs today, i'm going to go smoke a bowl and play some Starcraft 2.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 pm

How long do you guys think it will take for me to go through the RC and LR strategy guides from atlas? Will 3 weeks be enough if im doing nothing else or will that be cramming? My copies were shipped last friday from illinois to california and I STILL dont have them. I hate USPS. It was standard shipping so I hope theyll be there next week before the 6th

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Won't be cramming. I went through the RC guide in one day and the LR guide in two days. That definitely was cramming (and like you, I did nothing else those days), but 3 weeks won't be.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:11 pm

soj wrote:Won't be cramming. I went through the RC guide in one day and the LR guide in two days. That definitely was cramming (and like you, I did nothing else those days), but 3 weeks won't be.

Wow, really? The RC Guide I can probably get through quickly, but the LR guide seems pretty long. Did you find it helpful even though you did it in such a short time?

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Strange wrote:
soj wrote:Won't be cramming. I went through the RC guide in one day and the LR guide in two days. That definitely was cramming (and like you, I did nothing else those days), but 3 weeks won't be.

Wow, really? The RC Guide I can probably get through quickly, but the LR guide seems pretty long. Did you find it helpful even though you did it in such a short time?

Yeah, I found them both really helpful.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Took PT55 today through my Testmasters class (had trouble finding the classroom since I never go), and feel pretty good about it. First time taking it proctored, first time with an experimental, first time with a comparative reading passage, first time in a room with other people taking the test.

As dumb as it sounds, it was definitely a good experience learning to deal with little things like people talking in between breaks, the sounds of pages turning at the beginning of a section, people talking in the hallway (proctor shut the door but it was a momentary distraction), not getting exactly the full 35 minutes, and other more realistic test day experiences. I have the booklet and circled my answers, so I could grade it myself, but I'm just gonna wait for it to come online.

Fingers crossed, hoping for my first -0 LG... :D

xjykybl

Postby xjykybl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Anyone happens to be looking at PT 28 Section 3 Q25?
The causality between cat's interstitial nucleus and disease X.
I understand why E is right, but I couldn't rule out D with convincing reasoning.
I understand it as a causality reasoning: if interstitial nucleus is bigger, than disease X.
To attack this causality, E breaks the causal link. However D, as I understand it, weakens the causality by pointing out the cases where the cause (i.e. bigger interstitial nucleaus) occurs but the effect (i.e. disease X) doesn't occur.

What do you guys think?

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:42 pm

xjykybl wrote:Anyone happens to be looking at PT 28 Section 3 Q25?
I understand why E is right, but I couldn't rule out D with convincing reasoning.
I understand it as a causality reasoning: if interstitial nucleus is bigger, than disease X.
To attack this causality, E breaks the causal link. However D, as I understand it, weakens the causality by pointing out the cases where the cause (i.e. bigger interstitial nucleaus) occurs but the effect (i.e. disease X) doesn't occur.

What do you guys think?

Notice the stimulus says "the size ... determines whether ... male cats can contract disease X." The stimulus implicitly acknowledges there might be cases where large interstitial nuclei are not accompanied by disease X. (D) is asking you to use counterexamples to weaken an argument that allows for counterexamples; thus, (D) doesn't weaken the argument in any way.

So if it's not a 100% causal relationship, why is (E) correct? Because (E) denies any causal relationship, 100% or not.

xjykybl

Postby xjykybl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:11 pm

soj wrote:
xjykybl wrote:Anyone happens to be looking at PT 28 Section 3 Q25?

What do you guys think?

Notice the stimulus says "the size ... determines whether ... male cats can contract disease X." The stimulus implicitly acknowledges there might be cases where large interstitial nuclei are not accompanied by disease X. (D) is asking you to use counterexamples to weaken an argument that allows for counterexamples; thus, (D) doesn't weaken the argument in any way.

So if it's not a 100% causal relationship, why is (E) correct? Because (E) denies any causal relationship, 100% or not.

That's brilliant!
Thanks a lot

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:15 pm

We're up!

PT55
LGe: -0
LR1: -4
RC: -3
LR2: -1
LG: -0
Raw: -8
Scaled: 171

Wow, feeling great about this one. First -0 LG ever, best individual LR section score ever. Not the most friendly curve so I didn't top my scaled best, but -8 ties for my best raw.

I felt great about LG during and after, it's the first time I've ever had enough time to check my answers. I had never taken a 50+ PT, but if PT55 is any indication of what the newer games sections are like, I'm thrilled.

-3 ties for my worst RC since late February, but I'm not too upset about it because one was on my first comparative reading section ever, and it's a mistake I don't think I'll make again. Another wrong AC was a synonym question where they all looked right, just gave it my best guess and missed.

LR still needs work, but it's such a confidence booster to see I'm capable of that -1 (and should have had a -0, I didn't pick TCR because it seemed "too right." :lol: )

I <3 games, not only does acing the section boost my score but I feel like the confidence translates over to my performance in other sections.

Gonna do some other schoolwork and then review this one thoroughly, hope everyone's weekend is going well!
Last edited by mickeyD on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:24 pm

All right!! That must feel great. On many tests, -8 is 173-175. :D

Viper

Postby Viper » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Great Job Mickey! Keep up the great work! I've heard that LG in the 50+ PTs (other than the dinosaur game in PT57) have been a bit easier than historically, but I haven't done any of them yet to know first hand.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Fuck all 30s LG. Ruined my day :D

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 pm

Good job Mickey! I have been out of the studying game for a few (very anxious) days and will be tomorrow too (Mom's in town staying w/me, graduation and then bf's bday all in a row :| ). I am going to drill some games now and review some LR, which is what I've been doing since my last (awful) PT. I will take another in a few days, but I'm pretty nervous to see where I stand.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Despite getting the most questions wrong today, I'm happier about today than I was about the past three days (in which I drilled LR LR LG).

RC drills

PT25: -3
PT26: -5
PT27: -2
PT28: -2

Pleasantly surprised with the results. Perceived difficulty: 26 > 27 > 25 > 28.

Composite scores:
PT25: LG-2 LR-3 RC-3 Raw-8 Scaled175
PT26: LG-0 LR-2 RC-5 Raw-7 Scaled176
PT27: LG-0 LR-2 RC-2 Raw-4 Scaled180
PT28: LG-0 LR-3 RC-2 Raw-5 Scaled177
Woo!

Analysis of passages (in reduced font size to prevent eyesores)
PT25
Passage 1: email privacy
Score: -1 (Q6)
- felt easy until Q6-7. I glossed over the two words that would have made identifying TCR in Q6 very easy, so no wonder I had trouble with it. This is why I had questions about minutiae. In Q7, I had trouble eliminating E, but went with D because it seemed to describe the entire passage a little better.

Passage 2: analysis of Homer's poetry
Score: -1 (Q10)
- misinterpreted TCR to mean something much more restrictive than it does. No excuse for picking E, though. I should have asked myself if I'd misread instead of agonizing over trying to find the evidence for E. Q13 was tricky; I had trouble eliminating C, but went with A because C seemed only to describe the last two paragraphs, not all three paragraphs. I think that was the correct approach.

Passage 3: Native American tribalism and intertribalism
Score: -0
- had trouble with Q20 because I couldn't eliminate E. However, learning others' language ultimately seemed more intercultural than visiting, so I chose B.

Passage 4: Organicism as a scientific method of studying systems
Score: -1 (Q22)
- clearly did something wrong because I was choosing between C and E, and TCR was D. I eliminated D because I couldn't remember there being any "faulty theory," though I did remember "misrepresentation." Will have to go over this.

Overall: Not too difficult, though I would like to have finished with a little more time so I could go over some of the Qs. I would be satisfied with -3 on test day, though of course I'm gunning for better.

PT26
Passage 1: in favor of compulsory national service
Score: -2 (2, 4)
- LOL, not good. I knew the Qs were difficult and had a feeling I'd have to come back to them, but never had time. Both questions still kind of confuse me, so I might need to seek outside help on these ones.

Passage 2: Porter's art and art history
Score: -1 (6)
- Ugh, now I see how B is inadequate in describing the latter half of the passage. But I didn't think E was particularly good either. Will need to analyze.
- 12 was a little difficult, but I'm glad I eventually went with A (I found textual evidence for it, too--for some reason I just remained unconvinced because of my poor track record with textual "evidence") over D (for which I couldn't find any evidence at all--but I know sometimes LSAC expects you to infer crap about artists' intent).

Passage 3: explaining mass dolphin death
- interesting passage, some tricky Qs. had trouble with 16 and 21. I ultimately was able to reason my way into choosing A for Q16, but was never able to eliminate E in Q21. reading too much into the text, I think.

Passage 4: English marriage contracts and women's rights
Score: -2 (26, 27)
- Surprised to find out I got 26 & 27 wrong because those weren't the Qs I was unsure about. I have to admit because of the time constraint, I jumped on the ACs I felt were correct (B in both Qs) and did not give due consideration to the other AC, eliminating them for superficial reasons. These Qs merit further analysis.

Overall: Awful. I could feel fatigue building up from having done 2 RCs in a row. I could tell this could be another of those -5~-7 sections, and I could do nothing to stop it because I was so short on time. I think this section is quite representative of the modern RC sections--the passages themselves aren't too bad, but the Qs definitely are. The only section today that I'm not happy about.

PT27
Passage 1: jury composition and impartiality amid mass media coverage
Score: -1 (7)
- Did not fully appreciate the element of advocacy in this passage, which led me to struggle with Q1 and Q7. I was able to get TCR in Q1 thanks to PoE, but this should have tipped me off for Q7--the purpose of the passage is to advocate!
- Q2 and Q5 were also difficult, but I was able to solidify my choices with help from the extra time I had saved up.

Passage 2: personal names
Score: -1 (8)
- This was supposed to be a pretty tough passage, and it definitely was. The Qs were even worse. At the end of the passage, I had marked 4 of 7 Qs as confusing: 8, 9, 11, and 13. At the end of the section, I returned to think through some of the answers, and ended up changing my answer to 8 and 11. In 8, my original answer was right, and in 11, my ultimate answer was right.

Passage 3: homing pigeons
- Nice and easy, though I initially had some trouble with Q20 because I couldn't remember how exactly pigeons homed according to Papi's theory. I had a strong feeling D was right, but couldn't eliminate C because it seemed so random and I couldn't distinguish between irrelevant elements and relevant elements that seem irrelevant (thanks to my shitty reading ability).

Passage 4: Bettelheim's Freudian reading of fairy tales
- When I read Bettelheim's name come up again (I didn't do so well in the other passage where he came up), I felt like barfing. However, as annoying and infuriating his theories and the passage were, the Qs were very easy. Perhaps some of the easiest I've seen.

Overall: Pacing didn't have tangible benefits for me today (since reviewing didn't result in a net improvement of my raw score), but it definitely gave me confidence that I could handle tough passages. This is how I want to do on test day.

PT28
Passage 1: Native American tribal recognition
- Easy. Great start to the section.

Passage 2: volcanic eruption and climatic changes
- Again, pretty easy. The questions were harder, but not out of my reach.

Passage 3: steady-state economics
Score: -1 (17)
- Felt surprisingly easy despite denseness of material. I do have a small academic background in economics, so that helped. Q17 should have been a no-brainer, but I had a brainfart.

Passage 4: Hollywood and media
Score: -1 (22)
- Another passage in my interests. I knew I wasn't satisfied with (C) for 22, but couldn't see how any of the others could fit. Of course, now that I've seen the answer, it's quite obvious how (A) could. :roll: Everything else was easy.

Overall: One of my best RC sections, and I knew it. I got lucky with the content of the passages, and I felt great answering the Qs. Too bad about the mistakes, but I've already conceded a few Qs in RC, so I'm happy to limit my mistakes and focus on excelling the other sections.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Mom's in town staying w/me, graduation and then bf's bday all in a row

Did you graduate? Congrats, girl!!!

Strange

Postby Strange » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Just got the Atlas LR and RC guides in the mail! Both came at the same time. Going to hit them hard and go back to the basics. Been dominating LG and hitting the wall on LR/RC and thus stuck in the 168 range, so I'm going to try to really finish the RC guide before the 6th (when I take my next PT) and finish the LR within two weeks after that.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Well guys, scores the past couple days have been way below my average. I'm definitely hitting a wall from burnout. I'm gonna take the rest of the weekend off and get back to it in a few days. Really hoping the break will get my brain functioning right :)

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Well guys, scores the past couple days have been way below my average. I'm definitely hitting a wall from burnout. I'm gonna take the rest of the weekend off and get back to it in a few days. Really hoping the break will get my brain functioning right :)

I'm gonna do the same. Thought about spending tonight studying but after taking a PT and writing a paper I don't think I'd be able to absorb any info too well.

What are you guys' plans for the home stretch? Obviously PT often and work hard, but I can't help but think there's a chance we might overwork ourselves. As much as I've pulled the "not me" card, I can tell burnout is real, I know it's happening when my brain feels like mush and I go to bed dreaming about sufficient assumptions and LG diagrams. :oops:

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm going to play it by ear. I have a specific PT plan, but I'm ready to adjust it whenever I see signs of burnout. I think the key is to get into a rhythm of on days and off days heading into test day, whatever it is.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”