PT44
RC: -5
RCe (PT41): -1
LR1: -3
LG: -0
LR2: -3
Raw: -11
Scaled: 169
Had you seen any of the questions before?

Yup, I'd seen all the games before. I hadn't seen any of the RCs. I don't remember about LR--there might have been 1-2 I'd seen before.

Eich: thanks! I felt a lot better this morning, and I feel even better now having read your post. :D

Eichörnchen

Re: Retaking PTs

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 pm

jim-green wrote:Any retakers here who have taken the same PT with a few months between them, and can share about score differences (I mean on the PTs)? I am not doing as well as i thought I would when repeating PTs after 3 months. My score goes up just 5 points or so, and it's because I remember the questions I got wrong earlier. If one retakes a PT, should the 2nd score be close to perfect?

Oh and Eich, I had a dental filling this morning, so I am not quite at, but close to, your electrodes experience. Hopefully, my PT scores will improve as much as yours now. If not, I may try babysitting to help.

Haha good luck! And after a long day of taking care of a baby, sitting at my desk sipping coffee and doing games seems downright luxurious, so it would help with the enjoyment of studying at least :)

geverett

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Here are the results from last weeks PT #52.

LR 1 (-4) 21/25
LG (-3) 20/23
LR 2 (-3) 22/25
RC (-5) 22/27

Raw 84 Scaled 166

I did the test un-timed per Mickey's advice and scored 176. We shall see if this has any effect on the score that I receive on today's practice test.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha good luck! And after a long day of taking care of a baby, sitting at my desk sipping coffee and doing games seems downright luxurious, so it would help with the enjoyment of studying at least :)
I was babysitting our 18-month old last night, and remembered Soj's suggestion. So I gave her a copy of an LG and a crayon and it kept her busy for much longer than 8 min 45 seconds and I could do a whole section of LR questions! So Soj's advice really does work, and not just for Logical Reasoning.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:06 pm

geverett wrote:Here are the results from last weeks PT #52.
LR 1 (-4) 21/25
LG (-3) 20/23
LR 2 (-3) 22/25
RC (-5) 22/27
Raw 84 Scaled 166
PT52, huh? I don't do that for 2 weeks, but I'll have to see if I can beat that 166. The LRs are going to be hard to beat for me.
Anyone done PT49 recently? I did it yesterday. Both LR sections were most difficult for me. The last LG was tough, I felt. I'd seen the RC passages before.
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:13 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:PPS sry for the cloggage. I have a couple questions

PT24 S3 Q19 (assumption)
Is the statement (TCR) "some students who do not go home for lunch have part-time jobs" equivalent to "some students with part time jobs do not go home for lunch?"

PT24 S3 Q20 (principle)

The question stem makes us look for an AC that justifies the reasoning and places the least restriction on extra funds. I understand that TCR justifies the reasoning, but wouldn't "disposing of the funds according to the express wishes of the donors" place restrictions on the allocation of funds by directors of charitable organizations?

I guess the key to this one is the phrase "least restrictions". Answer choice B is the only one that is in line with the first condition of consulting the donors first. The rest of the answer choices do not even meet that criteria. Even though it meets the criteria, and then places restrictions it still meets the necessary condition of consulting the donors first and then technically could be said to place the "least restrictions" thereafter. It's kind of tricky and I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

Man, with all the eye for technicality this LSAT is developing you definitely can see how Bill Clinton had the ability to weave and deave those federal prosecutors. "It depends on what the meaning of the word is is."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_ ... B706A255D6

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Would love to hear an explanation for PT 52 Section 1 #3 complete with conditional logic diagram of the answer choice and the stimulus to show how they match up.

Also would love to hear an explanation of PT 52 Section 3 #20
Last edited by geverett on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Haha good luck! And after a long day of taking care of a baby, sitting at my desk sipping coffee and doing games seems downright luxurious, so it would help with the enjoyment of studying at least :)
I was babysitting our 18-month old last night, and remembered Soj's suggestion. So I gave her a copy of an LG and a crayon and it kept her busy for much longer than 8 min 45 seconds and I could do a whole section of LR questions! So Soj's advice really does work, and not just for Logical Reasoning.

Haha I think if it's your own kid it counts as parenting :) lucky for me at the end of the day the baby responsibility ended. Must be a bit tougher when it's 24/7. At least you can say, "oh honey it's a poopy diaper. Normally I would love to get up and take care of it, but I better do this game instead." ;)

edit- I forgot, Soj good I'm glad! You just got a 179 and have a month of study time left. You're going to obliterate it!

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha I think if it's your own kid it counts as parenting :) lucky for me at the end of the day the baby responsibility ended. Must be a bit tougher when it's 24/7. At least you can say, "oh honey it's a poopy diaper. Normally I would love to get up and take care of it, but I better do this game instead." ;)
Eich, you presume, without providing justification, that one thing is preferable to another, even though the evidence offered in support of the conclusion is consistent with the second thing being preferable to the first. Not!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:55 pm

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Haha I think if it's your own kid it counts as parenting :) lucky for me at the end of the day the baby responsibility ended. Must be a bit tougher when it's 24/7. At least you can say, "oh honey it's a poopy diaper. Normally I would love to get up and take care of it, but I better do this game instead." ;)
Eich, you presume, without providing justification, that one thing is preferable to another, even though the evidence offered in support of the conclusion is consistent with the second thing being preferable to the first. Not!

Hahaha that is great

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm officially obsessed. I just went out and bought a laser printer for the purpose of being able to print individual sections and full PT's out faster.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Haha I don't blame you- I had my boyfriend bring his scanner/printer combo to my place. It's so covenient! :) in that same vein, I still have to buy PTs 53-62 (except 55) and I was planning on getting them from cambridge LSAT so I don't have to scan/copy and sort all of the pages (oh god I don't wanna do that ever again) but lsac just put out the new 10 book of the most recent and Cambridge is charging like 70 something bucks for that group of ten. Argh what to do...I just feel like more copying and sorting is the last thing I ever want to do again.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha I don't blame you- I had my boyfriend bring his scanner/printer combo to my place. It's so covenient! :) Argh what to do...I just feel like more copying and sorting is the last thing I ever want to do again.
Even better, I had my wife take the book to her office and have the LGs copied! I wanted only the LGs copied, so it was 40 pages.

jim-green

Only the lonely

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:47 pm

The MLSAT LR guide calls "only" the most important word on the LSAT, and it's pretty obvious why. The stim or ans choice can mean totally different things with "only" inserted somewhere in them. So here is a sentence that changes its meaning 9 times depending on where you put "only.

I hit him in the eye yesterday.
Only I hit him in the eye yesterday.
I only hit him in the eye yesterday.
I hit only him in the eye yesterday.
I hit him only in the eye yesterday.
I hit him in only the eye yesterday.
I hit him in the only eye yesterday.
I hit him in the eye only yesterday.
I hit him in the eye yesterday only.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

jim-green wrote:The MLSAT LR guide calls "only" the most important word on the LSAT, and it's pretty obvious why. The stim or ans choice can mean totally different things with "only" inserted somewhere in them. So here is a sentence that changes its meaning 9 times depending on where you put "only.

I hit him in the eye yesterday.
Only I hit him in the eye yesterday.
I only hit him in the eye yesterday.
I hit only him in the eye yesterday.
I hit him only in the eye yesterday.
I hit him in only the eye yesterday.
I hit him in the only eye yesterday.
I hit him in the eye only yesterday.
I hit him in the eye yesterday only.

I think this test is making everyone a little more loopy the more we study. I love all the LSAT humor lately though, especially with no one else to appreciate these kinds of thoughts when I have them! :D

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:21 pm

geverett wrote:I'm officially obsessed. I just went out and bought a laser printer for the purpose of being able to print individual sections and full PT's out faster.

Love this. I'm a TA for the Phil dept. at my university and luckily I get access to an industrial copy machine and scanner fo' free! I can't tell you how many pages I've printed (every PT = 62x30 pages plus all my drills). Saves me a lot of $$$$.

Also just found out I'll be in Arlington this summer w/o a car which means I'll be taking a cab to my testing site. Haha I laughed thinking about rolling up to take the test in a cab. I hope he knows his way around

soj

Postby soj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:48 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Also just found out I'll be in Arlington this summer w/o a car which means I'll be taking a cab to my testing site. Haha I laughed thinking about rolling up to take the test in a cab. I hope he knows his way around

Can you bribe a trusted friend to drive you? I'd be so nervous about relying on a cabbie. You could leave extra early, but that just means you might have to wait longer at the testing site while nervous.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:59 pm

soj wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Also just found out I'll be in Arlington this summer w/o a car which means I'll be taking a cab to my testing site. Haha I laughed thinking about rolling up to take the test in a cab. I hope he knows his way around

Can you bribe a trusted friend to drive you? I'd be so nervous about relying on a cabbie. You could leave extra early, but that just means you might have to wait longer at the testing site while nervous.

Well, the thing is I'm in a more than awkward situation. I was just informed that I received a fellowship that runs throughout the summer months at George Mason and James Madison U. The problem is that I'll begin my duties at James Madison on June 4, without a car, because I'll be flying from Oklahoma (current state) to VA. I also won't know anyone there and won't be able to find a ride. The worst problem of all is that the closest testing facility is 53 miles away. So I have no idea how to get from James Madison to Charlottesville on June 6 besides taking a cab, bus, etc. The opportunity is once in a lifetime kinda thing but I don't wanna miss the June exam either. Any suggestions? I'm welcome to any

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
soj wrote:

Well, the thing is I'm in a more than awkward situation. I was just informed that I received a fellowship that runs throughout the summer months at George Mason and James Madison U. The problem is that I'll begin my duties at James Madison on June 4, without a car, because I'll be flying from Oklahoma (current state) to VA. I also won't know anyone there and won't be able to find a ride. The worst problem of all is that the closest testing facility is 53 miles away. So I have no idea how to get from James Madison to Charlottesville on June 6 besides taking a cab, bus, etc. The opportunity is once in a lifetime kinda thing but I don't wanna miss the June exam either. Any suggestions? I'm welcome to any

Congrats on the fellowship!

I think cab is your best bet, and not as sketchy as it might seem. I mean, you can print out directions, so just do that and bring them. If the cabbie doesn't know where you're going, hand them the directions, and you're good to go. That's a ways to travel, but if you plan everything out you should be more comfortable with the situation so it doesn't mess up your focus. It may not be the most ideal situation, but it doesn't have to be a distraction, I don't think.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:51 pm

tmon wrote:
It may not be the most ideal situation, but it doesn't have to be a distraction, I don't think.

Thanks for the advice, tmon. The last thing I need before writing is freaking myself out about the unconventional situation. I'll try to keep my cool :)

Edit: Cab fare is $196 :D

geverett

Postby geverett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:18 pm

PT 49. 168 strikes again. So mad. Will post results later. Man my wife is a champ for putting up with me.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Just drilled 12 games, about half of them from the mysterious PT 1-6 and 8.

I went 69/69 ( :D ), in a combined 84 minutes, 11 seconds, so an average of 7:01 per game. Only one game went over time and that was the seats on a bus game in 9:06, but I can't complain about the 5/5 on it.

I hadn't seen 6 of the 12 of the games, so I feel really good about the progress I'm making. Hopefully I can build some more confidence on some timed sections before I take PT55 on Saturday.

My fraternity is going on away weekend this weekend (rent $20K worth of vacation homes and booze with dates for 4 days), so I'll have a quiet stretch to really lock down LG and get through the MLSAT guide. My goal in the next 2 weeks is to hit -0 LG/-0 RC on one of the 3 PTs I'll be taking. RC is a strength for me and LG is something I feel like I can master, so if I can leave my fate up to LR on the real thing, that's something I can definitely live with.

Wishful thinking of course, but hey, I can dream right? :lol:

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:26 pm

tmon wrote:
It may not be the most ideal situation, but it doesn't have to be a distraction, I don't think.

Thanks for the advice, tmon. The last thing I need before writing is freaking myself out about the unconventional situation. I'll try to keep my cool :)

Congrats Florida! What kind of fellowship? I'll be around that area this summer so I'll drop by and say hey ;) unfortunately I think car is your best bet in that area, but I must admit I don't know much about the bus system (I'm in DC a lot so I'm more familiar with that neck of the woods). Maybe you could make a fast friend who knows the way and offer them $100 to take you :) You might be more at ease than a cab. Would it be possible to rent a car?

Edited because congrats are followed by (!) not (?) hehehe

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
tmon wrote:

Congrats Florida! What kind of fellowship? I'll be around that area this summer so I'll drop by and say hey ;) unfortunately I think car is your best bet in that area, but I must admit I don't know much about the bus system (I'm in DC a lot so I'm more familiar with that neck of the woods). Maybe you could make a fast friend who knows the way and offer them $100 to take you :) You might be more at ease than a cab. Would it be possible to rent a car?

Edited because congrats are followed by (!) not (?) hehehe

Damn.....$196?! You should definitely look into a car rental in that case if you don't have someone who can give you a ride. That's absurd. I hope that's at least round trip?

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:45 pm

What's the advice you guys are talking about, when it comes to doing PT's untimed afterwards?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”