June 2011 Study Group

Neidermeyer519

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Taking Neidermeyer's advice and killing some brain cells tonight. Hopefully it'll bring up my RC

+1

I love this so much that I think I shall do it again tomorrow. :)

amols

Postby amols » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm sure you all know about the photo requirement for June, but do any of you have any ideas for what you might wear for the pic (I know... completely random, but I'm on my study break and was just thinking about this).

Are you planning on smiling? Or doing the "serious student" look?

:mrgreen:

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:10 pm

On a serious note it feels good to take a little bit of a break from studying. I was prepping for 2-5 hours every day at least 5 days a week. LG and RC never really wore me down that much, but after so many LR sections and the LR Bible, my brain indeed felt like mush.

KingMenes

Postby KingMenes » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:14 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by KingMenes on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amols

Postby amols » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm planning on the smiling, preppy look :) to show them how well I would fit in.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:22 pm

Im gonna dress up like the Buddy Jesus from Dogma for the pic

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Thanks for a good reality check :) what would I do without this lil tls club?

Haha no problem, everyone here has been great about helping each other- without our TLS fam I wouldn't have anyone that understood my frustrations/obsessions with this test :lol: .

I said all that because there was a span of about 48 hours this week where I think 4 people on this thread (you included) made posts about your 170s+ on PTs and I was sooooo tempted to do one too. I thought, "everyone's doing so well right now and I just got my lowest PT in a month, I'm so behind." But I know I haven't mastered LG yet, and that I would be very upset with myself if I dropped another -6 bomb on LG. I don't want to take another PT until I genuinely think I have a chance at -0.

Fight the temptation and stick to the strategies for improvement that we all know work- drilling, accuracy, review, untimed practice, timed sections. And just like you shouldn't blast through PTs, don't blast through games either. It's gonna take time, patience, and you're definitely gonna hit some speedbumps, but it's also gonna work, so trust your hard work and have the confidence to know that you're improving, even if you don't have a raw score number to prove it. :D

amols

Postby amols » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:34 am

mickeyD wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Thanks for a good reality check :) what would I do without this lil tls club?

Haha no problem, everyone here has been great about helping each other- without our TLS fam I wouldn't have anyone that understood my frustrations/obsessions with this test :lol: .

I said all that because there was a span of about 48 hours this week where I think 4 people on this thread (you included) made posts about your 170s+ on PTs and I was sooooo tempted to do one too. I thought, "everyone's doing so well right now and I just got my lowest PT in a month, I'm so behind." But I know I haven't mastered LG yet, and that I would be very upset with myself if I dropped another -6 bomb on LG. I don't want to take another PT until I genuinely think I have a chance at -0.

Fight the temptation and stick to the strategies for improvement that we all know work- drilling, accuracy, review, untimed practice, timed sections. And just like you shouldn't blast through PTs, don't blast through games either. It's gonna take time, patience, and you're definitely gonna hit some speedbumps, but it's also gonna work, so trust your hard work and have the confidence to know that you're improving, even if you don't have a raw score number to prove it. :D

Eich, this is so true. With this advice, we know you'll have a 180 coming your way soon :).

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:55 am

Going over PT41 LR1 and PT42 LR1-2 is extremely exhausting and frustrating. There are so many arguments that simply don't make sense even on the second of third read. PT41 LR1-23 has got to be my least favorite LR question of all time, even less than rattlesnakes and titanium ink. I now realize I actually lucked out with my -1 -4 -2 LR scores, and this could have been a lot worse. I've still got a way to go in LR.

I love the camaraderie in this thread. I've said this before, but I have no prelaw friends so there's no one with whom I can talk about the LSAT. My family just doesn't understand--my sister even asked why I bother to study so hard when I can go to a T3-4 school and take it easy against "weaker competition." :evil: I love that here we can make casual references to Zephyr Airlines or CD Sales and get smirks from others who know what you're talking about. We all knew studying for the LSAT wasn't going to be easy, and I think it's great that we're all here to support each other! There's still a lot of time left, so let's make the most of it. :D

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:19 am

amols wrote:
mickeyD wrote:

Eich, this is so true. With this advice, we know you'll have a 180 coming your way soon :).

Stellar advice Mickey. I will stick to it! I guess I just get so anxious. I feel like I should just drill for a few weeks, but then again I'll be pretty much out of prep time afterward. Scary but I guess you do what you gotta do. I think the declining scores and the fact that my mom told me she bought her ticket to come see me for five days. Five days is a lot of time in LSAT prep world haha. Plus I am getting a little freaked because I've planned on going to Europe for August-November and I think I figured I'd be PTing in the low 170s by now. It just extra pressure now when I think "omigod this is harder than I thought. What the $@#% will I do if I have to retake?"
I guess I will try not to freak, try not to even think about a retake (I don't wanna have to do this again!!) and start drilling like crazy and do the bible again and the PS workbook. I hope I have time for that, the LR bible and all the PTs I wanna do. Phew just gotta wake up and start tomorrow.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:26 am

soj wrote:PT41 LR1-23 has got to be my least favorite LR question of all time, even less than rattlesnakes and titanium ink.

Rattlesnakes question should die.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 am

I miss studying for the LSAT :(
that is all

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:31 am

NikaneOkie wrote:I miss studying for the LSAT :(
that is all

Drop out of SLS, study for the LSAT again, and retake. Your 180 ain't real unless you can prove you can do it again. :P

xjykybl

Postby xjykybl » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:32 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
amols wrote:
mickeyD wrote:

Stellar advice Mickey. I will stick to it! I guess I just get so anxious. I feel like I should just drill for a few weeks, but then again I'll be pretty much out of prep time afterward. Scary but I guess you do what you gotta do. I think the declining scores and the fact that my mom told me she bought her ticket to come see me for five days. Five days is a lot of time in LSAT prep world haha. Plus I am getting a little freaked because I've planned on going to Europe for August-November and I think I figured I'd be PTing in the low 170s by now. It just extra pressure now when I think "omigod this is harder than I thought. What the $@#% will I do if I have to retake?"
I guess I will try not to freak, try not to even think about a retake (I don't wanna have to do this again!!) and start drilling like crazy and do the bible again and the PS workbook. I hope I have time for that, the LR bible and all the PTs I wanna do. Phew just gotta wake up and start tomorrow.

I totally agree. Reviewing and drilling weak sections is, at this stage, best way to improve.
I got all panic and discouraged when I got two 169 in a roll. That's when I stopped doing one PT per day and started reviewing. I got my first 175+ after I spent 2 days going over questions I got wrong and drilling LG (at least 3 LG in a row).

To make you feel even better, English is not my native language.
You will definitely see a huge breakthrough pretty soon.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:35 am

My least favorite thing about the rattlesnakes Q was that I actually picked the right answer pretty quickly, then remembered it was supposed to be a hard question, psyched myself out, and ended up changing my answer to that infamous distractor. :roll:

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:37 am

PT 57....on a mid test break right now....just went -0 on LG....that's the first time I've seen the dinosaurs game; I'd only heard about it. Surprised I didn't miss any. :) on to the rest if this blasted thing. Will post results in a Little while, unless I'm too tired

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:43 am

Neidermeyer519 wrote:PT 57....-0 on LG

:shock:

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:03 am

Destruction of brain cells complete: it's 2 am in lovely Oklahoma, aka closing time. If there were an award for most encouraging thread on TLS I think we would win :P . Onward and upward!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Destruction of brain cells complete: it's 2 am in lovely Oklahoma, aka closing time. If there were an award for most encouraging thread on TLS I think we would win :P . Onward and upward!

Haha maybe I should add this to my solution plan too. And I must say, that was startlingly coherent Florida. I was hoping you'd send a slew of garbled PMs to everyone as the tls version of drunk dialing ;)

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Since I work 130 to 9 today and tomorrow, its time to use Friday and Saturday mornings as kaplan mastery drill days. LR today, LG tomorrow.
Also, question on LR. The last three tests Ive inevitably missed one question in the first 15, then two after. Im wondering if maybe I should use one of the skipping tactics, any advice on that?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:00 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Since I work 130 to 9 today and tomorrow, its time to use Friday and Saturday mornings as kaplan mastery drill days. LR today, LG tomorrow.
Also, question on LR. The last three tests Ive inevitably missed one question in the first 15, then two after. Im wondering if maybe I should use one of the skipping tactics, any advice on that?

It might be a placebo effect, but I swear I saw a drop in my score when I switched from doing a 1-15/26-16 breakdown to a straight 1-26 breakdown, and then back up again when I started doing 1-15/26-16 again. My friend who was PT averaging in the 170s also recommended 1-15/20-26/16-20, which I tried once, but it didn't really seem to help me out, so I stick with the 1-15/26-16 breakdown.

*outed as thinking WAY TOO MUCH into this stuff :oops: *

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Accuracy doesn't seem to depend on Q# for me, but pacing certainly does. I can usually do Q1-10 in 10 minutes, and Q1-15 in 15-17 minutes, but when I reach Q22, I seem to have less than 10 minutes left. :twisted: The questions certainly are harder in the late teens, but I think fatigue's a part of it too.

Doing another PT today against all reason ... just because I just set out my final PT schedule and I would hate to break it on Day 3. At least it won't be another 3LR nightmare. :twisted:

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Well, I finished PT 57 last night and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

LG: -0
LR1: -1
LR2: -3
RC: -3

Raw score of 94, scaled score of 174. This is definitely my highest yet, and given everything that I had heard about the games, I was truly surprised to have scored this high. The last two RC sections were what I found to be the most difficult. The first was easy and the second only moderately challenging. I guess it did pay off to take a little break from LSAT stuff to give my mind a chance to clear.
Last edited by Neidermeyer519 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Well, I finished PT 57 last night and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

LG: -0
LR1: -1
LR2: -3
RC: -3

Raw score of 94, scaled score of 174. This is definitely my highest yet, and given everything that I had heard about the games, I was truly surprised to have scored this high. The last two RC sections were what Infound to be the most difficult. The first was easy and the second only moderately challenging. I guess it did pay off to take a little break from LSAT stuff to give my mind a chance to clear.

Beautiful. Keep that up!

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks! I believe I shall celebrate tonight. lol.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”