June 2011 Study Group

tmon

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby tmon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:56 pm

What do you guys do after you've had a particularly busy/stressful day?

I'm working full time (Americorps) and I basically just did three days of my normal workload in about six hours because of a big project I've got on my plate. I'm tired and haven't had much to eat, and after those considerations, the next thing in mind is whether I should consider not doing LSAT stuff tonight, or just plow through, grin and bear it. On the one hand, I had just about my worst RC score yesterday on my last PT, so I could really use some RC practice today before I take my next PT tomorrow. On the other hand, if I'm out of it, would the practice even accomplish anything other than going through the motions?

Thankfully the end is in sight, and May will be much easier on my work/study schedule...
Any opinions are much appreciated :)

soj

Postby soj » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

PT42
LG: 0
LRe (PT41 S1): -1
LR1: -4
RC: -2
LR2: -2
Raw: -8
Scaled: 172

Ehh, I could have jumped two points with one fewer Q wrong. LR1 was brutal! The fact that it followed LRe couldn't have helped.

chrisnyoder

Postby chrisnyoder » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:03 pm

geverett wrote:
chrisnyoder wrote:This is depressing. Going from 172 to 167 to 161.

I don't know what went wrong here. My head just completely froze on the games, even tho they were relatively simple and I had tons of games like them. Nothing else went my way either.

LR-3
RC-6
LR-6
LG-9
Raw -24

I think I'm going to not think about the LSAT for a few days and come back later. Don't know what happened but I can't afford a breakdown like that on the real LSAT.

Same stuff has happened to me. No worries. You're going to do fine. I think I have overstudied as well a little bit and need to step away and just do some light drilling to keep my mind working. Also my wife has been out of town. There is definitely some causal reasoning at work there. haha.

I appreciate the encouragement. It's just annoying that I'm still capable of that. I think drilling LR everyday can begin to have to mind-melting effect if I don't take breaks every now and then. I swear, sometimes I go to sleep with my thoughts still thinking about "the flaw in the reasoning" (yes, that bad).

Number 29 on games is tough imo. I've done it twice and both times I had a hard time wraping my head around the mannequins game. The Language Awards was more difficult than standard linear ones because variables could come "before or after" others. But in the end, I think it evens out nicely as the 1st and 4th break down into pretty manageable options.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Taking Neidermeyer's advice and killing some brain cells tonight. Hopefully it'll bring up my RC

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:31 pm

geverett wrote:Dont' be scared. I just made a serious missed inference that I normally would've picked up on that cost me. You are going to do fine.
Actually, I got -0 on that one :D
Last edited by jim-green on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:57 pm

pkpop wrote:Also, yes tonight at 8, we are going over conditional/formal logic type questions. Expect lots of diagramming.
I love that. Do you already have a list of questions? Are you posting our study scheduled somewhere I don't know about?

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:59 pm

soj wrote:
Strange wrote:Just ordered the Manhattan LSAT Strategy guide for RC. Do you guys think the LR one helps if I got the LR bible?

Yes, it does.
Take Soj's advice above. I took it and benefited very much.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm

chrisnyoder wrote:This is depressing. Going from 172 to 167 to 161. I think I'm going to not think about the LSAT for a few days and come back later. Don't know what happened but I can't afford a breakdown like that on the real LSAT.
I had these events last year. Taking a few days off gave me a bump when I returned.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
geverett wrote:
YaSvoboden wrote:
geverett wrote:Anybody done PT 29 Logic games? They were some of the harder ones I can remember doing.

That was actually my first -0 the other day.

Yea thanks guy. I wasn't soliciting scores on that section though especially from someone who introduces themselves on this forum with their "-0"

:lol: "hi, nice to meet you, I'd like to join this club- ooh you thought that was hard? Ahh I went -0 on that no sweat but I can see how it would be hard for other people..." ;) and 99, what's with the tiny Russian?? Why is there Russian everywhere I look on the boards now?

Oh, and Gev I just realized I have PT 29 stapled and ready to go next in line. Now I'm scared of the games...

Sorry, didn't mean to throw out a first douchy post like that. I meant to ask if he had any specific questions on it, but obviously forgot that. This was the first time that I had actually opened the June study thread, as I have been concentrating more on classes and finally can really put time into studying, and the first thing I saw was someone asking about a set of games I did the other day and someone above me responding with how they did on it.

Anyway, I like the overall positive vibe here and hope I can actually contribute to that part of it as I study.

И кстати, спасибо 99.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:07 pm

soj wrote:PT42
Scaled: 172
Ehh, I could have jumped two points with one fewer Q wrong. LR1 was brutal! The fact that it followed LRe couldn't have helped.
I am so glad you found this one (PT42) hard. I did really poorly on it compared to other PTs and was thinking it was me. So it is a harder PT. Hmmm
I took PT47 today and the last game is very hard, at least for me. Anyone taken it and have any tips? (Maggie's Deli)
Last edited by jim-green on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:09 pm

tmon wrote:What do you guys do after you've had a particularly busy/stressful day? Thankfully the end is in sight, and May will be much easier on my work/study schedule...
I try and go for a short walk and eat right. I am hoping it helps.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 pm

jim-green wrote:
tmon wrote:What do you guys do after you've had a particularly busy/stressful day? Thankfully the end is in sight, and May will be much easier on my work/study schedule...
I try and go for a short walk and eat right. I am hoping it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. Decided on compromising between no studying and doing what I was planning after I ate and got rid of the headache I had. Did one untimed RC and got a perfect score...strangely...although it was untimed, and a section in the late 20s. Going to chill for a bit and do one timed and see how I'm feeling after that I think. Whoever mentioned the positivity and good vibes in this thread as helpful is dead on. This is all so helpful, whether it's directly related to me or not. Thanks, folks!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Just did zephyr airlines - wtf

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:02 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just did zephyr airlines - wtf
Haha

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Did 5 more LG sections:

PT29: -0 (3:19 left)
PT35: -0 (8:13 left)
PT36: -0 (6:55 left)
PT37: -1 (3:20 left)
PT39 -4 (0:00 left)

I had seen a lot of these games before (probly 15 out of the 20), so instead of giving myself the opportunity to check back, I just stopped the clock so I could see how many I got right the first go around. I really got killed on the first game of PT39, spent way too much time on one question that I couldn't get, and kept misreading the questions. Got away from my gameplan of patience/fully understanding the games and tried to blow through it, had the opposite effect.

I'm really tempted to take PTs as often as you guys but I don't think I'm there yet, LG isn't there yet and I feel like taking 3+ PTs a week would just be me wasting good material... :(

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Ok reviewed pt 29-
LR1: -0
RC: -3
LG: -7
LR2: -5
scaled: 168

Annndddd just took PT 52. :shock:

LR1: -2
LG: -11 :evil:
LR2: -5 :evil:
79 (!!!!)
scaled 162 (!!!!!!!!!!!) :cry:

Sooo yea. Just when I think I'm making headway in games I am reminded that it is hopeless. I should just plan for October I guess. Actually no, I'm done with this. I'm just going to become an alcoholic.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Ok reviewed pt 29-
Are you taking too many PTs too frequently? I mean are you doing one PT a day? That may be too many, if you did PT29 yesterday and PT52 today. When I do that, I drop.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:38 pm

79 (!!!!)

Sooo yea. Just when I think I'm making headway in games I am reminded that it is hopeless. I should just plan for October I guess. Actually no, I'm done with this. I'm just going to become an alcoholic.

I agree you should space out your PTs more. It's well documented among TLS freaks like ourselves that there is a compulsion to take lots of PTs and hope for increased scores, but that's pointless unless you work on your foundation first.

Think of us like athletes. If you're a 400m sprinter, you have to run distances to get your endurance up, lift weights to improve your strength, work on your form, etc. Testers like soj are like runners who are in top condition- he runs races over and over again and gets fast times, and from race to race he analyzes and makes small tweaks to his form, pacing, etc. You've been training for a while, but you're like a runner who has the speed and strength, except you're slow off of the starting line. It's such a crucial part of the race and it's something that you should spend time practicing A LOT before you race again. Running in races over and over again isn't going to make your start better, in fact it's just going to discourage you and make you think you're not improving.

I'm slow out of the blocks too (games are keeping me out of the 175+), and while it's temping to try to train with soj, we shouldn't be. PTing over and over again isn't necessary 45 days out, especially when you still have major weaknesses to eliminate. We still have time to spend another 2 solid weeks drilling games and working on timed sections of games, and maybe taking a PT once a week. You said it yourself that you haven't even gotten a chance to review your last PTs, I think that's a mistake.

From the pithypike thread:

lollypotter wrote:Rather than thinking of the LSAT as 30 prep tests to be gotten through, think of it as weaknesses to be eliminated. Every test is a snapshot of your weaknesses and you MUST address them. Going over the tests is crucial. DO NOT DO MULTIPLE TESTS without review. This is a waste of time and tests. The review is the part most people don't do. They rely on familiarity. They improve (on PTs) but in the cold light of the official test they panic, and then they start guessing. That's how people score crazily below their prep test average.

Sorry for the lecture, I know I'm really in no place to give advice with my lowly scores. I know you're drilling. But it just seems like you might be feeling pressured to see that "-0 LG" on an actual PT, and spending 2.5 hours on a midweek PTs that could be better spent doing an extra 15-20 LGs.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:04 pm

mickeyD wrote:

79 (!!!!)

I agree you should space out your PTs more. It's well documented among TLS freaks like ourselves that there is a compulsion to take lots of PTs and hope for increased scores, but that's pointless unless you work on your foundation first.

Think of us like athletes. If you're a 400m sprinter, you have to run distances to get your endurance up, lift weights to improve your strength, work on your form, etc. Testers like soj are like runners who are in top condition- he runs races over and over again and gets fast times, and from race to race he analyzes and makes small tweaks to his form, pacing, etc. You've been training for a while, but you're like a runner who has the speed and strength, except you're slow off of the starting line. It's such a crucial part of the race and it's something that you should spend time practicing A LOT before you race again. Running in races over and over again isn't going to make your start better, in fact it's just going to discourage you and make you think you're not improving.

I'm slow out of the blocks too (games are keeping me out of the 175+), and while it's temping to try to train with soj, we shouldn't be. PTing over and over again isn't necessary 45 days out, especially when you still have major weaknesses to eliminate. We still have time to spend another 2 solid weeks drilling games and working on timed sections of games, and maybe taking a PT once a week. You said it yourself that you haven't even gotten a chance to review your last PTs, I think that's a mistake.

From the pithypike thread:

lollypotter wrote:Rather than thinking of the LSAT as 30 prep tests to be gotten through, think of it as weaknesses to be eliminated. Every test is a snapshot of your weaknesses and you MUST address them. Going over the tests is crucial. DO NOT DO MULTIPLE TESTS without review. This is a waste of time and tests. The review is the part most people don't do. They rely on familiarity. They improve (on PTs) but in the cold light of the official test they panic, and then they start guessing. That's how people score crazily below their prep test average.

Sorry for the lecture, I know I'm really in no place to give advice with my lowly scores. I know you're drilling. But it just seems like you might be feeling pressured to see that "-0 LG" on an actual PT, and spending 2.5 hours on a midweek PTs that could be better spent doing an extra 15-20 LGs.

Thanks to both of you- and Mikey that was a very needed (and appreciated) lecture :). You're totally right. I'm not sure how I got out of whack lately, but it seems so obvious now that you've pointed it out. I know games are my #1 weakness and my biggest threat, yet what are my actual priorities? It says a lot when I'm PTing with 2 unreviewed PTs I'm behind on, and I still haven't drilled games today. I guess as I feel more and more pressured and scared about how test day is fast approaching, I feel more pressured to do PTs. I feel like I should do all available PTs before the big day, but I guess I need to focus on the core issues because doing (and flunking) a million tests really isn't gonna help. I would loooove an extra 30 days right now. I guess I thought this LSAT thing would come a little easier than it has...
Thanks for a good reality check :) what would I do without this lil tls club? Cause that is just the kind of response I needed, not the "oh, you can do it! Just keep it up!" that fam and friends offer. Somehow that makes me feel worse and your response makes me feel a lot better haha.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 pm

I love our family. And fucking hate RC. :D

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:25 pm

I think I may have finally turned the corner with RC, Ive started a new notation system where I put certain parts of the text into blocks. Havent seen a huge improvement with how many questions I'm getting right, but during my reviews its making a lot more sense why I got certain questions wrong

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I love our family. And fucking hate RC. :D

:lol: LSAT family love <3

xjykybl

Postby xjykybl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:49 pm

chrisnyoder wrote:
geverett wrote:
chrisnyoder wrote:This is depressing. Going from 172 to 167 to 161.

I don't know what went wrong here. My head just completely froze on the games, even tho they were relatively simple and I had tons of games like them. Nothing else went my way either.

LR-3
RC-6
LR-6
LG-9
Raw -24

I think I'm going to not think about the LSAT for a few days and come back later. Don't know what happened but I can't afford a breakdown like that on the real LSAT.

Same stuff has happened to me. No worries. You're going to do fine. I think I have overstudied as well a little bit and need to step away and just do some light drilling to keep my mind working. Also my wife has been out of town. There is definitely some causal reasoning at work there. haha.

I appreciate the encouragement. It's just annoying that I'm still capable of that. I think drilling LR everyday can begin to have to mind-melting effect if I don't take breaks every now and then. I swear, sometimes I go to sleep with my thoughts still thinking about "the flaw in the reasoning" (yes, that bad).

Number 29 on games is tough imo. I've done it twice and both times I had a hard time wraping my head around the mannequins game. The Language Awards was more difficult than standard linear ones because variables could come "before or after" others. But in the end, I think it evens out nicely as the 1st and 4th break down into pretty manageable options.

How about summarizing LR types that you frequently do wrong or those you are not 100% sure?
Or reviewing LR questions by type? I find it quite helpful.
LR type master list
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108425

KingMenes

Postby KingMenes » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:52 pm

The Powerscore Bibles are a godsend, period.
Last edited by KingMenes on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

amols

Postby amols » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:55 pm

LSAT study group love coming from over here, too (even though I have been M.I.A. recently :oops: ).

For me, I have found LSATblog's RC method (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/ls ... sages.html) very helpful. The notation is simple and minimalist, and the method emphasizes structure over content. Maybe it will help if you're struggling with RC?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”