June 2011 Study Group

OhOkay

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby OhOkay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am

Aghhh... I wish i could put real life on hold but I've basically gotten nothing done in two days now. Man. Missed yesterday's session(s?) as well.

I'm starting to write down (physically, somehow it sticks better than typing) all my collected rules/tips, gleaned mainly from my own practice and these forums, but a bit from the Bibles. (Btw, I think I'm going to order the MLSAT LG guide, perhaps even all three guides today.) I haven't really been applying tips and lessons from mistakes -- for instance, if there's a nec. assumption question that I find difficult, then I need to remember to actually apply the denial test or whatever you want to call it. Anyway, I'll try typing it up by the end of the week, and would be happy to share if anyone is interested, although I doubt it'll be anything new to any of you dedicated LSAT beasts.

I am MAD slow and undisciplined at review. Like I basically barely do review... I think I need to start timing my review, because without the clock ticking, I just take breaks after every question and watch another video of panda babies being dumb cute, or some long ass article on how cell phones may or may not cause cancer (<-- dude took 6000 words to say that). I should put some sign above my desk or something -- "50 days." No, 50 days seems like forever to me b/c I'm stupid. Suggestions, haha?

Glad to see the hard work continuing amongst you all! Hope the sick peeps recover soon (soj, eich).

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:51 am

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:I'm only performing at ~8pts better than my cold diagnostic, but I guess you're right- games have always been my worst section so hopefully once they 'click' things will all fall into place.
You had a 160 diag? Mine was 155.

Yep I got a 160 on my cold diagnostic (June 07)

OhOkay wrote:Aghhh... I wish i could put real life on hold but I've basically gotten nothing done in two days now. Man. Missed yesterday's session(s?) as well.

I'm starting to write down (physically, somehow it sticks better than typing) all my collected rules/tips, gleaned mainly from my own practice and these forums, but a bit from the Bibles. (Btw, I think I'm going to order the MLSAT LG guide, perhaps even all three guides today.) I haven't really been applying tips and lessons from mistakes -- for instance, if there's a nec. assumption question that I find difficult, then I need to remember to actually apply the denial test or whatever you want to call it. Anyway, I'll try typing it up by the end of the week, and would be happy to share if anyone is interested, although I doubt it'll be anything new to any of you dedicated LSAT beasts.

I am MAD slow and undisciplined at review. Like I basically barely do review... I think I need to start timing my review, because without the clock ticking, I just take breaks after every question and watch another video of panda babies being dumb cute, or some long ass article on how cell phones may or may not cause cancer (<-- dude took 6000 words to say that). I should put some sign above my desk or something -- "50 days." No, 50 days seems like forever to me b/c I'm stupid. Suggestions, haha?

Glad to see the hard work continuing amongst you all! Hope the sick peeps recover soon (soj, eich).

Thanks, I woke up early, felt yucky and then slept in til 10 :mrgreen: But hey I really do feel much better now. I know what you mean about review - I take FOREVER. And I feel like it's not because I'm being so intense and learning so much. I just take way too long. I need to time myself too, because I'll plan out what I'm going to do for the day and then get to nothing because I underestimate how long I take.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 pm

Deleted
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 pm

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Yep I got a 160 on my cold diagnostic (June 07)
June 07? Wow, that's quite a while to be studying, or at least quite early to take the diag. My diag was Jan 2010: probably got 150 real. I did it untimed and only 4 sections so got a 155. I was shocked since I thought I was brainy at logic! :-) Then I really realized how tough the LSAT is to do well. By the way, I was in the same position as you in LGs last year, so I did a couple of timed 5 section PTs constructed from 5 LG sections. I didn't do well score-wise, but it took the fear of LGs and panic outta me. I realized it was just one damn thing after another, and lost my anxiety ever since. May want to try it. Do it with old LGs you've seen so you don't waste unseen LGs. I got the idea from my wife's father who is an army officer - he said they do that in boot camp to make you lose the squeamishness of killing human beings or crawling through mud.

This is interesting. So they make you do 5 timed PT's composed exclusively of LG sections in boot camp to rid you of the squeamishness of killing other people or crawling through mud? :?:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 pm

OhOkay wrote:Aghhh... I wish i could put real life on hold but I've basically gotten nothing done in two days now. Man. Missed yesterday's session(s?) as well.

I'm the SAME EXACT way. Do you have a dream school you are shooting for? When I visited NU I took a shitton of pics and I'm going to get them printed at Rite-Aid or something and post them above my desk where I review (along with the __ DAYS LEFT thing). IDK maybe it's just me, but seeing the real end goal--not a test score, but an ADMITTANCE to the school I want to go to--helps me keep things in perspective.

Or, just review somewhere with no internet/distractions. Sometimes I'll go downstairs to our 'study room' where there's no computer/etc etc to distract me.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:31 pm

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Yep I got a 160 on my cold diagnostic (June 07)
June 07? Wow, that's quite a while to be studying, or at least quite early to take the diag. My diag was Jan 2010: probably got 150 real. I did it untimed and only 4 sections so got a 155. I was shocked since I thought I was brainy at logic! :-) Then I really realized how tough the LSAT is to do well. By the way, I was in the same position as you in LGs last year, so I did a couple of timed 5 section PTs constructed from 5 LG sections. I didn't do well score-wise, but it took the fear of LGs and panic outta me. I realized it was just one damn thing after another, and lost my anxiety ever since. May want to try it. Do it with old LGs you've seen so you don't waste unseen LGs. I got the idea from my wife's father who is an army officer - he said they do that in boot camp to make you lose the squeamishness of killing human beings or crawling through mud.

:lol: nooooo June 07 is the PT I took (the free one from lsac) If I was studying for like 4 years and had only gotten to 168 I think I'd off myself.

OhOkay

Postby OhOkay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing there are others with concentration/procrastination problems like me -- wish you guys didn't, but glad we can commiserate together, haha. That photo idea is actually really good. Maybe with some dollar signs next to them too, lol, since I'm trying so hard because law school won't be possible for me without a lot of aid (loan issues). Every question right is potentially several grand more. Scary, but pretty motivating.

I've also thought of perhaps sticking up a schedule and forcing myself to tick off what I get done each day, so there's some sort of visual accountability. I'm definitely also going to start timing my review, giving myself between 20-30 minutes per section.

Today's goals: lots of review and lesson consolidation, 12 LG games, 2 RC sections, reading some long boring articles to improve reading concentration, and going to bed EARLY so I start off right tomorrow.

Good luck you guys!

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Deleted
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:05 pm

It's a new day, and I'm moving on from yesterday's minor meltdown.

I think today, in addition to the Manhattan LR review and RC practice I've already been planning on, I'm going to take a couple LR sections untimed. I realized that I don't think I've ever taken a LR section untimed, just individual questions to practice. From there, if I'm close to 100% I know I have the ability, there's just something not transferring to timed work. Or if I'm not 100%, I'll have to focus more on my LR practice and go back to drilling again maybe. So hopefully that goes well. And hopefully it's somewhat clear cut to me whether I need intense drilling and review, or just to work on timed sections.

For people struggling with LG, I thought I'd quickly share what I've done. I took the June 09 test after a full length Testmasters class and still got probably 8 wrong on the section. In practice, my tests were at times lower, but never close to -0. I've basically done the Pithypike method, though in a somewhat abbreviated sense because I didn't realize I wasn't using all games before pt40. I copied 3 of my LGs, sorted by type, and did only one type until I ran out of those. However, I see a lot of people worried about spacing the same game's 3 copies out so you don't remember them, but I actually did them three days in a row, and I think that was key to my drastic improvement. After every game I went over the answers, and often practically redid the whole game by the end of going over what I messed up on. So the next day I definitely remembered how to do the game, but made sure to relate it in my mind to what the game was saying, so in a way remembering reinforced good habits I think. I'd look for the cues in the stimulus that would tell me what to do next, basically.

The Superprep LG sections hurt me, but since then I've been mostly -0/-1, and usually have only taken around 10 minutes by the time I get to the third game, unless something particularly strange comes up. If anyone has any questions on what I did, I'm definitely willing to help.

Now if I can just get the other two section types down...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Feeling good today - not sure if it's the caffeine pills I've started taking or what lol. Before taking my PT this morning I told myself that I have a fairly good grasp on actually how to perform on the test (except RC maybe :x ) but am catching myself in a mental battle when I start a PT. For example, when I drill I'll go around 168-173 yet my PT avg is around 164. Do others get anxious when the clock starts and let it get to them? I honestly feel like this is costing me 5-8 raw/PT. Today I told myself to stay cool during the PT and I saw some improvement, except for RC where I got pissed :D

PT 33
23/26 RC exp
21/25 LR1
22/28 RC
22/23 LG
23/25 LR2

Raw 88, generous scale of 170. To think I changed TCR 4 freakin' times to wrong ACs. Shit hurts. But still a raw score for me to be happy about. Yay

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Need help on PT 30 S1 Game three....any tips? I missed three on this game, and hadn't missed a single LG question in a while.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Well, yet another drunken slobberknocker of a weekend. I actually think these help to free up my mind from thinking about this stuff all the time. Although the death of brain cells could be detrimental in the long run....hmmm.

I think I'm going to take PT 56 tomorrow at 12:30 and see how it goes.

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Need help on PT 30 S1 Game three....any tips? I missed three on this game, and hadn't missed a single LG question in a while.

I am doing this later today.

How bout section 4 #22? I got the correct answer, but it still seems far fetched. Is this okay given the fact that the question stem says "most strongly supported." It just seems like if there were a flaw question it would rip into this inference made my the author saying something to the extent of "Draws the conclusion that body fat gain is not dependent solely on the number of calories one consumes based on insufficient information about the actual composition of the diets of test subjects." Don't know if this makes sense. Would love to hear some thoughts.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm

geverett wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:Need help on PT 30 S1 Game three....any tips? I missed three on this game, and hadn't missed a single LG question in a while.

How bout section 4 #22? I got the correct answer, but it still seems far fetched. Is this okay given the fact that the question stem says "most strongly supported." It just seems like if there were a flaw question it would rip into this inference made my the author saying something to the extent of "Draws the conclusion that body fat gain is not dependent solely on the number of calories one consumes based on insufficient information about the actual composition of the diets of test subjects." Don't know if this makes sense. Would love to hear some thoughts.

D seems to be correct because it's the answer that makes the most sense with the least holes. One of the conclusions I've came to over my LR studying has been that you must only look at the information provided in the stimulus and think of nothing else. Most of the time bringing in outside information or making too many connections (outside of assumption questions) leads to a wrong answer due to scope. It's a silly question, especially just because of the alcohol thing, but I think D gives the most clear solution that relates most strongly to the stimulus.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:41 pm

geverett wrote:How bout section 4 #22?
I'm meeting with pkpop in thge study room at 8 pm est today. We could take these Qs and discuss there if u want 2 join.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:22 pm

soj wrote:SuperPrep B
LR1: -4 :(
LRe (PT39 S2): -2
LG: 0
RC: -5
LR2: 0
Raw: -9
Scaled: 175
Soj, I'm trying to understand your LR style. Do you first look for the wrong answers and eliminate them, then choose the right one? Or while going from A to B, do you read carefully to see if it may be right? The MLSAT book says if there is a chance it is right, don't read too carefully, just move on. If it is clearly wrong, eliminate. Then come back to do a 2nd pass of potentially-right answers. I find it takes me too much time.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Well, yet another drunken slobberknocker of a weekend. I actually think these help to free up my mind from thinking about this stuff all the time. Although the death of brain cells could be detrimental in the long run....hmmm.

frat, frat, frat. I'm a sigep. SO's an AXO. Just got removed from a position for not devoting enough time to it (aka lsat studying) - tfm

soj

Postby soj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:58 pm

For some easy questions (e.g. Necessary Assumption questions where there's an obvious disconnect between the premise and the conclusion that needs to be bridged by an assumption, or stimuli that mistake a necessary condition for a sufficient condition), I prephrase and pick the answer right away. Other times, I read a little more carefully and a little more slowly than MLSAT recommends--often I can pick the right answer or narrow my options to two or three ACs after a single read-through of the 5 ACs. In the latter case, I re-read the stimulus if I have to, but mostly focus on finding minutiae I might have missed. Every once in a while I'll eliminate all 5 ACs or be on a completely wrong path (and eliminate none), and I'll have to start over.

I know, that sounds kind of vague and all over the place. :oops: No matter what, I try not to agonize over any answer too much unless I'm done the section and have time left to reconsider tough Qs.

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
geverett wrote:

D seems to be correct because it's the answer that makes the most sense with the least holes. One of the conclusions I've came to over my LR studying has been that you must only look at the information provided in the stimulus and think of nothing else. Most of the time bringing in outside information or making too many connections (outside of assumption questions) leads to a wrong answer due to scope. It's a silly question, especially just because of the alcohol thing, but I think D gives the most clear solution that relates most strongly to the stimulus.

Hey I can show you the big inference on Game 3 if you need. I just finished the section and went -2. Thanks for some of your advice. I think because before I didn't think enough into this stuff and used to get -9 now I might have over corrected and think way too much into it. Perhaps that is what caused my point drop out of nowhere. Time to drill Assumption, Flaw, and Argument Part/Main Point questions which oddly enough I am getting wrong on many of these Practice Tests. I am going to eliminate my weaknesses one by one.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Printed my ticket today. The testing site is 30 seconds away from my apartment. I'm nervous and excited at the same time! Let's do this!!

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:03 pm

soj wrote:I know, that sounds kind of vague and all over the place. :oops: No matter what, I try not to agonize over any answer too much unless I'm done the section and have time left to reconsider tough Qs.
Thanks, this will be what I do from now on.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:Well, yet another drunken slobberknocker of a weekend. I actually think these help to free up my mind from thinking about this stuff all the time. Although the death of brain cells could be detrimental in the long run....hmmm.

frat, frat, frat. I'm a sigep. SO's an AXO. Just got removed from a position for not devoting enough time to it (aka lsat studying) - tfm

HFF

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 pm

soj wrote:Printed my ticket today. The testing site is 30 seconds away from my apartment. I'm nervous and excited at the same time! Let's do this!!

I do share your enthusiasm about the test, despite the fact that you're a 'premature printer' :lol:

geverett

Postby geverett » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:47 pm

soj wrote:Printed my ticket today. The testing site is 30 seconds away from my apartment. I'm nervous and excited at the same time! Let's do this!!

Soj,
I have a couple questions I would love to hear your explanations for. PT 9 LR 2 #23 and #25

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm

30 -- 04/18/11 ----- LR: -3/-2 ; RC: -3 ; LG: -3 --------91/174 -----Somewhat disappointing. LG had one game where I missed something, and missed three questions on just that game (the last two tests were -1/-0 on LG, thus the disappointment). Also, there was a legal passage on RC that was extremely convoluted...overall, easier LR questions but very difficult LG and RC.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”