June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
geverett

Bronze

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by geverett » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just practiced some concepts from tonight's meeting on RC passage 24, mostly trying to view the passage's form over content. As he said,
Stop focusing on what they are saying, but how they are saying it. Generalize the information to have passage organization - be able to describe what is going on outside of the contents of the passage. It is ok to not be able to hold on to every piece of information to answer specific reference questions.
Went -2. Hopefully not from a placebo effect but maintaining this perspective throughout
How did it go with Matt?
Things went well with Matt. Thanks for all the help!

Darko86

New

Post by Darko86 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Hey everyone. I'm glad to see that pretty much everyone seems to be improving! I know not everyone is consistently scoring at their goal score yet, neither am I, but I think all of the hard work will pay off in the end.

I'm drilling LG today on my own, but as I mentioned before, I am currently in a TestMasters class as well. I had to get on here and vent a a bit about one of the other students. There is one guy who sits next to me usually that drives me crazy... For some reason or another he likes to routinely interject during the middle of a lesson with his thoughts about formal logic and how he thinks the class might be presented differently in some manner or he'll have to jump in with some kind of brilliant deduction he has found, even if the teacher is in the middle of saying it herself. I'm not sure I can explain his behavior too well, but it suffices to say that he appears to me to be a... TestMasters Prep Gunner?!

I just don't understand his crap, and he does it so often, that it frustrates me to no end. Alright, /end rant.

Back to the grind for me. I hope y'all have a good day of prep!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Darko86 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm glad to see that pretty much everyone seems to be improving! I know not everyone is consistently scoring at their goal score yet, neither am I, but I think all of the hard work will pay off in the end.

I'm drilling LG today on my own, but as I mentioned before, I am currently in a TestMasters class as well. I had to get on here and vent a a bit about one of the other students. There is one guy who sits next to me usually that drives me crazy... For some reason or another he likes to routinely interject during the middle of a lesson with his thoughts about formal logic and how he thinks the class might be presented differently in some manner or he'll have to jump in with some kind of brilliant deduction he has found, even if the teacher is in the middle of saying it herself. I'm not sure I can explain his behavior too well, but it suffices to say that he appears to me to be a... TestMasters Prep Gunner?!

I just don't understand his crap, and he does it so often, that it frustrates me to no end. Alright, /end rant.

A gunner like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsPC2n4T6Q

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Darko86 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm glad to see that pretty much everyone seems to be improving! I know not everyone is consistently scoring at their goal score yet, neither am I, but I think all of the hard work will pay off in the end.

That is the greatest video ever hahaha

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:15 pm

D
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:How did it go with Matt?
did you record Thurs's session with Matt so i can replay it somewhere? I just bought your LR guide, so I have access to someone website it mentions, though I haven't gone to it yet.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:20 pm

jim-green wrote:
Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Sorry about that! We try not to bug folks with e-mails too often, but apparently we're too gun shy.
Brian is working on joining this Sunday's 4:30 session (that's in the MLSAT self-study room). If he can join, he'll post it on the FB wall - and the HW for that session will be
Do you mean 1:30 PM session. I know there is a session at 1:30 pm and 8:00 pm Sundays. The HW you sent sound great! By Brian, do you mean Birdwell? He is awesome. I don't use FB (too old), but I will come to the 1:30 (4:30) session on Sunday.
Actually the schedule JG sent me is 1 pm and 8 pm Sundays.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm

PrepTest A
LGe (PT39): 0
LR1: -2
RC: -2
LG: 0
LR2: -1
Raw: -5
Scaled: 175

Now that's what I'm talking about. :D I have a feeling I do better when I start taking the test at 10-11am than when I start taking it at 3-4pm. This is good news, and also surprising, because I've never been much of a morning person. :P

I also benefited from having a very favorable sequence of sections. LG-LR-RC-LG-LR is probably the best possible sequence for me.

I barely finished LG on time, but I felt very good about LR and RC. I even had more than 4 minutes left at the end of RC--I think it's only the second time I've had that much time left in RC. LR2 felt really good but I agonized over Q25, the last Q of the exam. I knew the ACs I was choosing between weren't good, and--no surprise here--TCR is an AC I eliminated. I look forward to reading all the explanations in the book today.
Last edited by soj on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Anybody else do no marking on RC? I've gotten down to -2 on two tests in a row, considering maybe a bit of marking to try to get that down a question or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:59 pm

jim-green wrote:
Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:How did it go with Matt?
did you record Thurs's session with Matt so i can replay it somewhere? I just bought your LR guide, so I have access to someone website it mentions, though I haven't gone to it yet.
Noah, the session went well. It was relatively well attended for the Thursday night group. It was good not only for the actual RC lesson, but also the short slide to refresh our minds on a few of those tricky "Some/Most" quantifiers.

Jim-green, I don't think the session was recorded. However, if you are in the room anytime I am, I will gladly go through the sparknotes version of what we went over.

For Sunday's PT review, we are going over PT 51 (Dec.2006) with the PT34 s.4 EXP section. The review starts at 1PM (EST) and the length usually varies on how well everyone did on the test. I'll probably be taking this test in an hour or 2 and hope that my last test score wasn't a fluke. Wish me luck.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 pm

soj wrote:PrepTest A

Now that's what I'm talking about. :D I have a feeling I do better when I start taking the test at 10-11am than when I start taking it at 3-4pm. This is good news, and also surprising, because I've never been much of a morning person. :P

I also benefited from having a very favorable sequence of sections. LG-LR-RC-LG-LR is probably the best possible sequence for me.

I barely finished LG on time, but I felt very good about LR and RC. I agonized over Q25 in LR2, the last Q of the exam. I knew the ACs I was choosing between weren't good, and--no surprise here--TCR is an AC I eliminated. I look forward to reading all the explanations in the book today.
Good job on Superprep A!

agree on the LG-LR-RC-LG-LR.

I've had RC-LR-LR-LG-LR which sucked. Also had RC-LR-LG-LR-RC. The bolded was the experimental.

CAN I PLEASE PLEASE GET 2LGs! Third time's the charm, hopefully.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks. Blech, RC-LR-LR before break, and then another LR to end the test sounds really exhausting. RC-LR-LG-LR-RC doesn't sound as bad, but I agree, 2 LGs is much preferable. For me, RC is the most stressful (I'm always worried about time), while LR is the most cognitively draining. LG, in comparison, is relaxing and occasionally even fun.
Last edited by soj on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:29 pm

D
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm

For the past few weeks, I've actually been taking a PT nearly everyday. The days I don't, I'm either taking a break from all LSAT prep or going over a prep book (e.g. MLSAT LR2). As I approach test day, I'm going to be able to take a few more days off between PTs, so I'm going to spend some of those days drilling particular Q types (using the Traciela books or something) or repeating sections of already-done PTs.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:55 pm

jim-green wrote:
jim-green wrote:
Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Sorry about that! We try not to bug folks with e-mails too often, but apparently we're too gun shy.
Brian is working on joining this Sunday's 4:30 session (that's in the MLSAT self-study room). If he can join, he'll post it on the FB wall - and the HW for that session will be
Do you mean 1:30 PM session. I know there is a session at 1:30 pm and 8:00 pm Sundays. The HW you sent sound great! By Brian, do you mean Birdwell? He is awesome. I don't use FB (too old), but I will come to the 1:30 (4:30) session on Sunday.
Actually the schedule JG sent me is 1 pm and 8 pm Sundays.
There's actually two group rooms. There's one for the group that JG started, and then Liz started a second one, which is a bit behind (in terms of where they are in the study process - not in smarts :) ). Liz's group meets in the MLSAT self-study room on Sundays at 4:30 and Thursday's at 9pm (both EST), and from time to time at other times.

Brian (yes, Brian Birdwell - and I will tell him you're a fan) is trying to make this Sunday if he can clear some time, but will be joining that group frequently until the June LSAT regardless.

If you only have the link to the TLS room (JG's group), e-mail me and I'll set you up with the other link. I know it's a bit crazy to have two rooms running, but we asked Justin, and he said a lot of folks are meeting independently in the first room, and we wanted to make sure there was enough space for everyone.

BTW, we're going to start up an Oct 2011 group sometime, if anyone is aiming for that test and wants to take lead on that, reach out to me.

I too am too old to really care about Facebook, but alas, there I am, posting pictures of my kid, no doubt violating his privacy rights.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Hilarious.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Anyone care to shed light on why AC E of PT 21, Sec 2 Q 21 is TCR? (besides that the other ACs aren't TCR :D )

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Anyone care to shed light on why AC E of PT 21, Sec 2 Q 21 is TCR? (besides that the other ACs aren't TCR :D )
Mechanical aerator right? I did this one really quick and found E to be wrong. Parallel flaw. You can throw E out really quickly because not only does it have the term "sometimes" (doesn't match strength), but also does not match the conditional logic of the stim.

A is TCR because it matches the flaw (Mistaken negation) and also matches the conditional logic. This is how i diagrammed.

MA -> PAW
(- MA -> - PAW)

FT -> PAW --(-PAW -> -FT)--contrapositive
therefore: -FT

Matches exactly with choice A.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm

soj wrote:I haven't done 21-28 or 38-40, but the hardest LGs that I've done in that range are probably 20, 30, 31, and 35. As for LR, I don't remember individual PTs or sections, but I did the worst in 7, 8, and 29.

And for RC, 18, 19, and 20 were bad for me. I also had trouble with the multicultural education passage in 32, nonexclusion in 33, lamarckian evolution in 34, and vasopressin in 36.
Soj,
I've been going through sections of these that you mentioned. Wish I had the time and commitment like you do to complete every PT. However, I don't so I am just doing tons of individual sections in the 1-40s and plan on completing PT 41-62 full and timed. PT #31 LG were hardcore. It was also the first section of the test so LSAC definitely wanted people to snowball into misery for the rest of the test after what for most people would have undoubtedly been a very difficult start to the exam. I went -2, but deserved -4 b/c of 2 guesses I had to make. Any section you think was especially hard that you want to pass on by all means keep them coming.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:12 pm

SuperPrep A LG was tough. And I heard B and C get even tougher! :shock:

SuperPrep A's RC overall is one of the easiest, but it does have one annoying passage: Passage 2, black women filmmakers. I hate it when LSAT asks you for the main point, and you can't choose between two answers because one AC describes one half of the passage, and another AC describes the other half of the passage, and none of the other ACs come close. How are you supposed to tell which half is supposed to represent the whole passage? :evil:
Last edited by soj on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:13 pm

jim-green wrote:
soj wrote:PrepTest A
Soj, if you take a PT every 2 days, what do you do on the day in between? just review the prior day's PT? That doesn't take very long. Do you also drill other sections on the middle day or read the MLSAT / PS guides? I find if I study too much the previous day, my PT score goes down the next day - maybe tiredness or getting sick of the thing.
Jim,
In case you haven't figured this out yet soj is actually a robot. He is not a real person. He is going to get a 180 on the test, be the first robot accepted to yale, and enslave all of us at a corporate law firm run by robots. =)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:25 pm

I got 180 twice out of 33 tries, so I'm not holding my breath. :P

As for your accusations of me being a robot, I have only this to say.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 pm

hahaha! love it!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:53 pm

hahaha too perfect- it had to be embedded

geverett

Bronze