June 2011 Study Group

soj

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby soj » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:38 pm

I don't know if it's just bad luck or lingering burnout (or if my earlier good scores were flukes), but I seem to have lost my touch with LR. When I started out doing PTs I was averaging 6~8 wrong combined, and then I got it down to 1~3 combined last week, but now I'm stuck in 4~6 again. I feel like I'm close to where I want to be in LG and RC (well, not really--it's more like I'm resigned to getting a few wrong in RC), but LR remains annoyingly out of reach.

Then again, this is why I have the MLSAT book. I don't know why I keep putting it off, but I will get to the rest of it in the next few days and give y'all a proper evaluation of its usefulness.

Hunterrhoid

Postby Hunterrhoid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:03 pm

soj wrote:I don't know if it's just bad luck or lingering burnout (or if my earlier good scores were flukes), but I seem to have lost my touch with LR. When I started out doing PTs I was averaging 6~8 wrong combined, and then I got it down to 1~3 combined last week, but now I'm stuck in 4~6 again. I feel like I'm close to where I want to be in LG and RC (well, not really--it's more like I'm resigned to getting a few wrong in RC), but LR remains annoyingly out of reach.

Then again, this is why I have the MLSAT book. I don't know why I keep putting it off, but I will get to the rest of it in the next few days and give y'all a proper evaluation of its usefulness.

Any consistency in your problem areas?

PR/PF?
Strengthen/Weaken?
Assumption (are you separating necessary and sufficient assumption questions?
Most supported/Most supporting?

You're one of the score leaders in the forum, and I'm sure your issues are someone else's issues too. Share!

soj

Postby soj » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:14 pm

There are no consistent Q types that cause me trouble in individual PTs, but over multiple PTs there's a consistent weakness in Flaw, MSS, and Strengthen/Weaken. (In other words, sometimes I'll have no problem with these questions, but other times I'll get several of them wrong in a section.) There's the occasional PR and PF error, and I'm making more and more Necessary Assumption and MoR (which used to be gimmes for me) errors. MoR and MSS errors are the most disappointing because they almost always result from choosing the wrong one of two ACs I haven't eliminated. In Flaw/S+/W-/NA/PF/PR, the problem is eliminating ACs too quickly and being left with unsatisfactory answers from which to choose.

I still sometimes make silly mistakes like misbubbling or misreading, but those mistakes are getting fewer and fewer.

I'm usually strong in MBT, MBF, Main Idea, Resolve, Explain, Principle, and Sufficient Assumptions.

I think it's about time I went over the >100 LR Qs I've gotten wrong since the last time I did an intensive analysis of LR mistakes.

For what it's worth, here's a history of my PT LR raw scores, in the order I took them:
PT1 -4
PT2 -3
PT3 -2
PT4 -3
PT5 -6
PT6 -4
PT7 -8
PT8 -8
PT9 -5
PT10 -2
honeymoon starts here
PT51.5 -4
PT11 -4
PT12 -3
PT13 -2
PT14 -4
PT15 -3
PT16 0
PT17 0
PT18 -3
PT19 -2
PT20 -3
PT51 -5
PT31 -1
PT32 -3
PT33 -3
honeymoon ends here
PT29 -8
PT34 -5
PT35 -5
PT36 -5
PT37 -4
PT30 -5 (completed only 1 LR section so far)

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

soj wrote: I feel like I'm close to where I want to be in LG and RC (well, not really--it's more like I'm resigned to getting a few wrong in RC)

What are your strategies for RC? I don't underline or anything really, I actually just try my hardest to get through the passage as quickly as possible, reading carefully enough to make sure I get the gist of the passage, but leaving the details for later. I then just reference back whenever the questions ask me to. This requires being pretty good at scanning the passage and quickly locating what they're asking you about, but it's been pretty good for me so far.

I do this because I've found that the first paragraph of most passages are often very confusing, and instead of losing time getting hung up on understanding each sentence independently, I just try to get through the whole passage so it can cumulatively tell me what's going on. This, plus the answer from the main idea question that will typically immediately follow, usually is all I need to start attacking the questions.

I've been consistently -0/-1 for the past couple months with this strategy. The way I see it, if you're going to have to go back to the passage to reference, there's no use laboring over the passage the first time around. If I don't understand exactly what one sentence means, I just trust that after reading the next few sentences I will. I read as fast as I can to be able to see the main point, so I can tell myself, "The author is summarizing a scholar's point, which is that baroque culture in post-Renaissance Spain was an attempt to control the general population, but then at the end he says that the scholar's view is sort of limited." I may not be able to recite each point of his evidence, or his sources, but I do vaguely remember where he mentions them, and will be able to quickly go back and find them.

Reading this way gives me a ton of time to do the questions, so I can locate the lines mentioned, examine their context thoroughly, and critically think about what the function of that line is, or what the "theorists" in line 44 would most likely agree with, etc.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Good points. I'll try a much more hands-off approach in the initial read-through and see how that goes. To be fair, I've been getting -2~4 in RCs, so I'm not doing awfully. Trouble is, I struggle trying to locate specific words in the passage as it is, and that might be exacerbated by marking even less than I do now. Or maybe it'll teach me not to use marking as a crutch and read more effectively. We'll see.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Just did PT 55, was a lot harder than 45 which I did yesterday, at least it felt that way. LG tripped me up a bit and couldnt finish the last game. RC seemed harder too but I scored better than on 45. LR sections about the same

LR1 LR 2 combined: -9
LG: -3
RC: -1

Score: 167, Raw is 87. I scored a 169 with a raw of 86 on PT45. Hoping that two months is enough time to get me safely to that 170 benchmark

amols

Postby amols » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey, everyone.

I just came through to say:
:mrgreen: Omg! Supernanny marathons on tv are so distracting! :mrgreen:

No but really. I just realized earlier I don't have PT 40 (for our LG). So I might not come through tonight. Is our regular moderator in town? If so, I may have to be absent so I can get some work done.

Anyone know?
Last edited by amols on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Just finished the LG bible yesterday. I can now safely say LG is my best section, went from getting 8 or so wrong and not finishing all of the games in 35 min. Now I get around 3 or so wrong in 30 mins :D

amols

Postby amols » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:17 pm

dr123 wrote:Just finished the LG bible yesterday. I can now safely say LG is my best section, went from getting 8 or so wrong and not finishing all of the games in 35 min. Now I get around 3 or so wrong in 30 mins :D

Hey, that's great! Congrats! I remember sucking at LG, too. That was before seriously going through the bible.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:25 pm

I seriously went through the bible 1.5 times (did the first half a second time) and I still am doing miserably (see: score on SP A). I think (hope) it's because outside of the drills in the bible I've only done the games on my PTs. Soo knock on wood that after a week, week and a half of doing like 8 games a day I'll see improvement (Does that sounds right to you good-gamers?) Amols, I also won't be in study group- gotta start those drills tonight.

amols

Postby amols » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:I seriously went through the bible 1.5 times (did the first half a second time) and I still am doing miserably (see: score on SP A). I think (hope) it's because outside of the drills in the bible I've only done the games on my PTs. Soo knock on wood that after a week, week and a half of doing like 8 games a day I'll see improvement (Does that sounds right to you good-gamers?) Amols, I also won't be in study group- gotta start those drills tonight.

I am about to start my first timed multi-type sections. 3 sections in a row, 1 lr and 1 lg. So I'm out for sure tonight, too.

Eichörnchen, I am sure in about 2 hours I will be extremely jealous of your amazing LR skills :p. Like I said, the putting in the effort untimed for LG was really helpful for me. Do you have Manhattan's LG book?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Hey peeps just got home from the wedding - for all you Texans, I spent too much time and money last night at Renfield's on McKinney and Routh :D - and back at it. Eich you'll start to see improvement with your games by drilling. I'll be drillin all night as well. Let me know if you want to meet up later and run some games

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Amols- I don't have the manhattan book, would you suggest it? I'm trying to figure out if/how I should add in more books. I just realized today I've only done the LGB and the first ~250-300 pgs of the LR bible.

Florida- well you were right about me doing well in LR (sorta) and RC in PT A but games killed me. Just wow. I went LR: -3 combined RC: -0 LG: -12. That stings. I'll probably be in the room for a while tomorrow while I review A and tonight begins the week of games.

I have a week and a half of doing like 8 games a day ahead so I hope that makes some difference :| I know I have to drill but at this point I'm not sure how many games/day that means I should be doing but I guess I just have to start tonight and keep chugging along. I really hope I can be "good" at games by the beginning of may but I don't know if that's possible.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:07 pm

amols wrote:I just realized earlier I don't have PT 40 (for our LG). So I might not come through tonight. Is our regular moderator in town? If so, I may have to be absent so I can get some work done.

Even though the email said PT 40, I think we are actually on the PT 37 "Books on shelves" game. Didn't we do the bus seat game last week? Also, the LRs that we were supposed to go over tonight were all ones we did last week (unless there was another game with dioxins.) We pretty much covered a few of those questions to death.

Considering that there is glorious weather outside, and the "books on shelves" game is relatively simple compared to some of the other tough games we've done, I think tonight will be light review. I'll be in the room if anyone wants to go over any games or questions, but I'm gonna check out at 9, grab a few beers and relax for the night.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm

pkpop wrote:
amols wrote:I just realized earlier I don't have PT 40 (for our LG). So I might not come through tonight. Is our regular moderator in town? If so, I may have to be absent so I can get some work done.

Also, the LRs that we were supposed to go over tonight were all ones we did last week (unless there was another game with dioxins.) We pretty much covered a few of those questions to death.

Considering that there is glorious weather outside, and the "books on shelves" game is relatively simple compared to some of the other tough games we've done, I think tonight will be light review. I'll be in the room if anyone wants to go over any games or questions, but I'm gonna check out at 9, grab a few beers and relax for the night.

Very correct on both of these counts.

btw - The weather is awesome. :D But don't get too used to it - next sunday is predicted at low 40s. A span from 85 to 45 in seven days, sigh.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Jeez... the LG games on PT 27 are some of the hardest I've done so far

Also I wanted to join the study group but never got a response to my PM :(

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Strange wrote:Jeez... the LG games on PT 27 are some of the hardest I've done so far

The person that runs our room is still out on vacation, I think. But you can PM Manhattan LSAT Noah and he can get you the info as well. Sorry, I swear that it's not personal, just timing! :)

I did 5 hours of LG drilling last night and I think that I see significant improvement - I'm down to -1/-2 per section and hoping that I can get that to 0 before test day. Up for this week - LR. I have GOT to have this stuff become my friend or I'm doomed. Hello MLSAT book, you and I shall be best friends this week!

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Yassig wrote:
Strange wrote:Jeez... the LG games on PT 27 are some of the hardest I've done so far

The person that runs our room is still out on vacation, I think. But you can PM Manhattan LSAT Noah and he can get you the info as well. Sorry, I swear that it's not personal, just timing! :)

I did 5 hours of LG drilling last night and I think that I see significant improvement - I'm down to -1/-2 per section and hoping that I can get that to 0 before test day. Up for this week - LR. I have GOT to have this stuff become my friend or I'm doomed. Hello MLSAT book, you and I shall be best friends this week!

Whats his username?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Strange wrote:
Yassig wrote:

Whats his username?

um...Manhattan LSAT Noah? I'm pretty sure that's it.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:00 pm

First game of the night...9 minutes into it and I was on #2 with no idea. I turned off the stopwatch and reveled in my stupendous level of fail and then Beck's "lost cause" started playing. Thanks Beck.

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Er, yes, it is Manhattan LSAT Noah. Unless he changed that to his legal name too!

Oh wow, that's a tad harsh. Gotta love when life gives you those wonderful lemons. Um, good luck getting back into the swing of things? Burn a Beck CD in protest to feel better?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Haha it was in my iPod's playlist. Note to self: make a cheerful LSAT mix. I was kidding about the song bugging me, but for some odd reason I just felt incredibly overwhelmed, followed by a bit of a choking feeling and then topped off by getting pissed. It's funny that I've remained pretty good natured through all the games sections that wrecked what could've been really great scores and now this random adv linear game is what pisses me off. I've been waiting for pissed Eich. Pissed Eich gets business done. :evil:

amols

Postby amols » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha it was in my iPod's playlist. Note to self: make a cheerful LSAT mix. I was kidding about the song bugging me, but for some odd reason I just felt incredibly overwhelmed, followed by a bit of a choking feeling and then topped off by getting pissed. It's funny that I've remained pretty good natured through all the games sections that wrecked what could've been really great scores and now this random adv linear game is what pisses me off. I've been waiting for pissed Eich. Pissed Eich gets business done. :evil:

Eichörnchen, I think music to pump you up for the LSAT is so important. I am not sure what genres/speed/etc. you prefer, but I think the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive" crosses all boundaries and is perfect! Lol. I love that song in general, but before timed sections it works wonders. :mrgreen:

I think actually doing a few disco-point moves can help you point out the right answers, too! :P

amols

Postby amols » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:02 am

Eichörnchen wrote:First game of the night...9 minutes into it and I was on #2 with no idea. I turned off the stopwatch and reveled in my stupendous level of fail and then Beck's "lost cause" started playing. Thanks Beck.

I think something like this happened to me a few weeks ago when I was trying to do a timed LG section while flying on a plane in the middle of the night! :P I could not pick one out of two ACs. Thankfully, I moved on to the next game early enough to tackle it later (with a clearer view of the time and some more confidence under my belt from doing the later games well).

My advice: skip the game. Draw a line on your answer sheet between the last question of that game and the first question of the next one (so you're very clear about that distinction and don't make any bubbling errors). Empty your mind of that game (this emptying is an important skill for all sections, imo). Move on to the next game. Try to hustle through some of the others (depending on what you think the issue was), and come back to that game that you skipped. Don't try and pound through it if you're seriously not getting it.

amols

Postby amols » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:15 am

My advice if you finish a section early: check to make sure you bubbled everything and did so correctly.

I finished a LG section 2 minutes early today, so I decided to go back through and check my bubbles. While checking, I came across a question with NO ANSWER bubbled. It was actually a question that I struggled with a little bit when I first came across it. Then I marked it right in the book but not on the sheet. I of course bubbled it in after seeing it. And I ended up getting -0! Yay! But if I hadn't checked, I would have gotten a question that I knew I had the right answer to wrong. Checking the bubbles kept me from losing the easiest type of point.

Just throwing out my two cents after seeing it help me (obviously there are other things you should do if you have time left over, but checking the bubbles really paid off in that section!).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”