June 2011 Study Group

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:48 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Going to a friend's wedding in Dallas this weekend. Will be fun, but no studying Fri or Sat :cry: . Well, I could do a few games at the reception maybe :D

I could do a few games at the reception maybe


Oh sure, suuuurrreeeee. Oh, and I am doing Superprep A tomorrow me thinks. I'm a little frightened, but at least we can discuss what we got wrong in study group (This is me assuming that my memory of you recently doing A is correct).


Don't worry about Superprep A. Worry about B and C, they are harder IMO.


Haha now I'll get like a 150 and look like a fool ;)

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Going to a friend's wedding in Dallas this weekend. Will be fun, but no studying Fri or Sat :cry: . Well, I could do a few games at the reception maybe :D

I could do a few games at the reception maybe


Oh sure, suuuurrreeeee. Oh, and I am doing Superprep A tomorrow me thinks. I'm a little frightened, but at least we can discuss what we got wrong in study group (This is me assuming that my memory of you recently doing A is correct).


Don't worry about Superprep A. Worry about B and C, they are harder IMO.


Haha now I'll get like a 150 and look like a fool ;)


no you will not! even thinking that undermines your mental state for the test. I have a feeling you will do well (no pressure though, lol). Make sure to relax before the test and have a positive attitude :)

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Haha that's true, don't worry though I was just kidding. Positive vibes, positive vibesssss

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:57 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Haha now I'll get like a 150 and look like a fool ;)


Without spoiling the surprise, you should do very well on the LRs. Thought they were unusually easier. RC is the same, but I had trouble with the last passage. Good luck on LG 3, it was a doozie and I went over it a few times.

Prediction for you? Raw 91 :) I went 85 raw losing most of my points in games

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:59 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
Haha now I'll get like a 150 and look like a fool ;)


Without spoiling the surprise, you should do very well on the LRs. Thought they were unusually easier. RC is the same, but I had trouble with the last passage. Good luck on LG 3, it was a doozie and I went over it a few times.

Prediction for you? Raw 91 :) I went 85 raw losing most of my points in games


Haha here's hoping - damn those games though. Oh wait, that's not thinking positively. I need to learn to love them

I hate them so much though. But that's bad.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha that's true, don't worry though I was just kidding. Positive vibes, positive vibesssss


good luck! im scared for tomorrow - taking PT 57 on which i got -19 last summer. granted, i'm a diff. man now, but that number is still scary. All I remember from that test is getting the mauve dinos all right and making some dumb mistakes on another, easier game.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:05 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Haha that's true, don't worry though I was just kidding. Positive vibes, positive vibesssss


good luck! im scared for tomorrow - taking PT 57 on which i got -19 last summer. granted, i'm a diff. man now, but that number is still scary. All I remember from that test is getting the mauve dinos all right and making some dumb mistakes on another, easier game.

So does that mean you're retaking the test you actually took before? If so, that's gotta be kinda weird/intimidating. But it will be nice to see how you have improved by leaps and bounds!

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 pm

I need to drill games and RC hard before May went I go straight PT status. So I'm going to take 2 RC and 2 LG sections/3 days in April and drill individual q's as well. I have endurance with 5 sections and I just need to get the perfect combo of speed and accuracy right now

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Haha that's true, don't worry though I was just kidding. Positive vibes, positive vibesssss


good luck! im scared for tomorrow - taking PT 57 on which i got -19 last summer. granted, i'm a diff. man now, but that number is still scary. All I remember from that test is getting the mauve dinos all right and making some dumb mistakes on another, easier game.

So does that mean you're retaking the test you actually took before? If so, that's gotta be kinda weird/intimidating. But it will be nice to see how you have improved by leaps and bounds!


yeah, i'm a retaker. All (except PT62) tests I take - I have taken before. It's just a matter of HOW old. Most tests I've taken in Aug/Sep. The minority - in April/May/June. I am doing through the latter group now, so that I further forget those in the former group.

Once in a while I will recognize a question, but most of the time I won't remember the answer.

You're right, it's a bit scary for that exact reason - but I have not yet gotten the same or worse score on my retakes. (knocking on wood!).

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:13 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I need to drill games and RC hard before May went I go straight PT status. So I'm going to take 2 RC and 2 LG sections/3 days in April and drill individual q's as well. I have endurance with 5 sections and I just need to get the perfect combo of speed and accuracy right now


Yea I need to drill a LOT more than I do. I pretty much don't actually now that I think of it...I'm thinking of using all the tests from 1- early 20s for this and using the rest as timed PTs. WHich PTs are you using as drills? Also, how soon before D-Day do you think you'll stop PTing? I was thinking of doing 4 PTs the week before LSAT day, but that means review will probably bleed into the weekend before our Monday test. Hmmm.... :?

yeah, i'm a retaker. All (except PT62) tests I take - I have taken before. It's just a matter of HOW old. Most tests I've taken in Aug/Sep. The minority - in April/May/June. I am doing through the latter group now, so that I further forget those in the former group.


Yea I don't think retaking tests with that much time in between would be a problem. I can barely remember specific questions a week after taking them haha. Good luck, I'm sure you'll kill it!

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks Eichörnchen, gl to you too!

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Oh, and I said a 168 was "meh" - any higher and I'd have been psyched, lower and I'd be upset. Therefore, it is meh. :wink: But don't worry, you'll get there! Once things "click" you'll see a big jump. What's your trouble section?
What does meh mean? (I'm older). No problem section as such; problem areas are inference questions in RC, careless mistakes and panic on LGs, and flaw questions on LR.

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
pinkstark wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
pinkstark wrote:I don't know how the group study works.. I want to join, but i don't know how.
Also, if anybody is interested in having a LR study group. please let me know!!! I think I posted it before, but only one person was interested. Is everybody just good at LR? I had a great mood today, so I picked 3 questions from PT 18. section 2. I thought oh great. I got them. Then I checked with the answers. 3 in a roll all wrong. It ruined my day.



Hmm sorry you're having such trouble with LR and that the three you did from 18 were wrong. :( I did PT 18 and got -3 between the two sections, so if you want, let me know which three you did that you didn't understand and maybe I can clear them up for you. I'll be online here for another hour and a halfish, and I could hop in the room too (although it seems as though you don't use the study room - you need to ask to sign up through Manhattan LSAT.)


Thanks for your reply! I re-did them, and got them right...seems like I always have problems with getting things right at the first time. sign up through Manhattan LSAT...is that a name?


Good, I'm glad you got them right. Out of curiosity (I'm literally typing explanations for PT 18's LR right now) which ones were they? Maybe I can explain my thought process and see if you were thinking the same way the second time, or if there's any pattern to why you got them wrong the first time around. Also, if you want, you could do a few more from PT 18 to practice and I could pass along my explanations to them if you get them wrong. It might be good to drill a little more LR if it's your trouble spot.

For the study group, MLAST is a website/company but they let us use a room to study whenever we want (Nice, huh?). People generally sign up by PMing a specific member but he is currently on vacation so I'm not sure if you can get involved until he gets back or how adding on at this point works.

shoot me a pm and I'll help you out

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Yea I need to drill a LOT more than I do. I pretty much don't actually now that I think of it...I'm thinking of using all the tests from 1- early 20s for this and using the rest as timed PTs. WHich PTs are you using as drills? Also, how soon before D-Day do you think you'll stop PTing? I was thinking of doing 4 PTs the week before LSAT day, but that means review will probably bleed into the weekend before our Monday test. Hmmm.... :?


Well I've already come across at least portions almost every of tests 1-40 either doing Kaplan Mastery, or pithypikes method. I've also taken every section from 7-21. So this month I want to drill everything from 22-42 and save 42-62 and Superprep C for May. I plan on taking around 20 PTs in May and stopping 4-5 days before the 6th of June. I may even take a PT or two a day or two before and just not score it so my psyche doesn't screw me.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:07 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:So this month I want to drill everything from 22-42 and save 42-62 and Superprep C for May.
What do u mean when u say drill? Do you mean doing solely RC passages the whole day? Or do you just mean doing entire PTs without taking a break? Is drilling timed or untimed.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:29 pm

jim-green wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:So this month I want to drill everything from 22-42 and save 42-62 and Superprep C for May.
What do u mean when u say drill? Do you mean doing solely RC passages the whole day? Or do you just mean doing entire PTs without taking a break? Is drilling timed or untimed.


By drill I mean take individual sections timed. So if I were to drill RC, I would choose one RC passage (say PT 31) and take it timed, and then review my answers meticulously. Of course you could drill multiple sections in one day. But the point is to hone speed and/or accuracy, rather than endurance (because you aren't "drilling" multiple sections simultaneously).

jim-green wrote:What does meh mean? (I'm older). No problem section as such; problem areas are inference questions in RC, careless mistakes and panic on LGs, and flaw questions on LR.


"Meh" is hard to describe. Usually is defined as showing a degree of indifference. For example, not great, not terrible: "How was the food today? Meh." Here meh as in, "alright, I guess." So eich was probably saying my 168 is "alright I guess - could be worse, could be better though" :D

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:05 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:"Meh" is hard to describe. Usually is defined as showing a degree of indifference. For example, not great, not terrible: "How was the food today? Meh." Here meh as in, "alright, I guess." So eich was probably saying my 168 is "alright I guess - could be worse, could be better though" :D
Aha, comme ci comme ca

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby mickeyD » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Starting to see "the matrix," in other words i'm starting to see questions and say "seen this before." For example, Must Be True questions that say X will increase/lower the overall cost, I always look for the answer that keeps in mind that the effect of X is not offset by another cost.

So for example, "Buying a blade sharpener for your razors will save you tons of money, because you don't have to buy new blades over and over again."

If it's a must be true question, I automatically look for the answer that says,
"The cost of a blade sharpener is not higher than the cost of buying new razor blades."

I've seen this question with stimuli about fiber optic cables, costs of plywood, over and over again.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:38 pm

mickeyD wrote:Starting to see "the matrix," in other words i'm starting to see questions and say "seen this before." For example, Must Be True questions that say X will increase/lower the overall cost, I always look for the answer that keeps in mind that the effect of X is not offset by another cost.

So for example, "Buying a blade sharpener for your razors will save you tons of money, because you don't have to buy new blades over and over again."

If it's a must be true question, I automatically look for the answer that says,
"The cost of a blade sharpener is not higher than the cost of buying new razor blades."

I've seen this question with stimuli about fiber optic cables, costs of plywood, over and over again.


Costs of plywood in Superprep A LR2 Q 8? Freakin' missed that one. Well, I think it was an assumption q

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby mickeyD » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
mickeyD wrote:Starting to see "the matrix," in other words i'm starting to see questions and say "seen this before." For example, Must Be True questions that say X will increase/lower the overall cost, I always look for the answer that keeps in mind that the effect of X is not offset by another cost.

So for example, "Buying a blade sharpener for your razors will save you tons of money, because you don't have to buy new blades over and over again."

If it's a must be true question, I automatically look for the answer that says,
"The cost of a blade sharpener is not higher than the cost of buying new razor blades."

I've seen this question with stimuli about fiber optic cables, costs of plywood, over and over again.


Costs of plywood in Superprep A LR2 Q 8? Freakin' missed that one. Well, I think it was an assumption q


Yeah it was an assumption question, but its the same concept just repackaged.

Off the top of my head it was something like:
Retailers charge more for plywood after natural disasters when these is high demand.
Increased transportation costs after natural disasters increase costs to the retailers.
Therefore retailers are not taking advantage of the increased demand.

One prephrased assumption I made on this question was that the retailers had to pay the transportation costs, I'm pretty sure they put an answer choice in there regarding it but said something like "retailers pay ALL of transportation costs," which is of course not necessarily true.

The correct answer, I'm pretty sure, was that the increase in sale price is not higher than the increase in transportation costs to the retailer, which is the same concept that I mentioned in my earlier post.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:05 pm

"Meh" is hard to describe. Usually is defined as showing a degree of indifference. For example, not great, not terrible: "How was the food today? Meh." Here meh as in, "alright, I guess." So eich was probably saying my 168 is "alright I guess - could be worse, could be better though" :D

A perfect translation Florida.

Image

I looked at waaaay too many lolcats in the process of posting this :oops:

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby soj » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Image

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 pm

soj how do you like MLSAT's LR Guide? I was thinking about purchasing but don't know if I should considering ~2months till dday

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby soj » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:24 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:soj how do you like MLSAT's LR Guide? I was thinking about purchasing but don't know if I should considering ~2months till dday

Err, that's what I should be reading now, not posting lolcats on TLS. I'll let you know after I've had a chance to look at it. :P It does look promising.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Haha I am in the library and I lol'd because of those damn cats. I resisted the urge to post another though, lest this devolve into a lolcat thread. Ahem, ok back to PT 20 review...




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: VMars, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests