June 2011 Study Group

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Wish I could make it to tonight's study group but I am just starting my prep for the day :( I have a PT to review, a stack of games to sort, 3 games to do, a 5 hr energy and a dozen pumpkin cupcakes. Things are about to get wild.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby soj » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 pm

99.9luft wrote:Great job on the -8, man, that's my personal record to date. You will enjoy the fatter lr guide, it reads like a totally different animal. Has excellent drills and insightful approached to previously not covered question types. I also loved that all the sample and drilling questions were pre pt 40 so it complements our PTing pretty well.


Thanks, and good to know on the new book. That's what Noah told me, too. I'm going to dig into this book after dinner.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Wish I could make it to tonight's study group but I am just starting my prep for the day :( I have a PT to review, a stack of games to sort, 3 games to do, a 5 hr energy and a dozen pumpkin cupcakes. Things are about to get wild.
We'll miss you, Eich.

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby maxpower430 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm

did anyone else find the set of logic games on PT 23 kinda difficult? Well maybe difficult is the wrong word but really time consuming? the 3rd game just felt like a complete time sink, and the second game was not much better, tho i was initially thrown off by the interview/hire/not interview aspect of it. ugh just when i was feeling good about games lol, do you guys use ace the lsat for grouping games? b/c i'd love to feel more confident with them

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:44 pm

I want to punch a whole in a wall.

PT46 w/ LG 7.2 Exp (-11) Raw: 88 Scaled score: 168

RC (-6) 21/27 What a great way to start things off right? The last passage was a real buzz kill.
LR (-1) 24/25
LR (-1) 25/26
LG (-3) 19/22 Mis-diagrammed a rule that cost me 3 questions on game #2
Exp: LG PT 7.2 (-1) 23/24

This is the 2nd time in a row I've seen the 170 slip through my fingers on account of mis-diagramming a rule in a logic game that would be incredibly simple otherwise. Finished the section w/ 7 minutes to spare only to see my 170 slip away during grading by the 2nd game of the 4th section. I will have my vengeance.

Also the 4th passage of RC was pretty crazy. For anyone looking to go from good to great in RC it would definitely be worth taking a look at. Upwards and onward!
Last edited by geverett on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 pm

geverett wrote:I want to punch a whole in a wall.

PT46

-11 Raw 88 168 scaled

mis-diagramming a rule cost me a perfect score on LG. The last RC passage was a son of a bitch. -6 on that section alone. This is the 2nd time in a row mis-diagramming a rule on a logic game that cost me the 170.

:( at least we're 168 buddies. And I would pass on the comments that were given to about how that is a good score (which it is) but I know you're probably mad at the fact that you should have gotten a 170 because it was a misdiagram, not really the score itself. But remember- the whole point of timed, scored PTs is to guage your level of ability. So be cheerful to know that you are at the 170 ability level. That's all that counts. Just don't misdiagram on the actual LSAT (which you definitely won't) and you're good :)

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Just took PT7 (almost)

LR1: -8 finished in 30 mins went back and changed 3 right answers to wrong answers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
LG: -3 HOLY SHIT! best timed lg section yet!! and I finished it in 30 mins!!
RC -7 meh ill take it
LR2: -2 through 15, got kicked out of the library 17 mins into the section


Rough estimate of scaled score, 163ish

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby buckythebadger » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:00 am

FINALLY got my first 170 score on PT 16

Section 1 LG: -1
Section 2 LR: -2
Section 3 LR: -3
Section 4 RC: -6

Score=172

I feel like it is finally starting to come together. LG have always been my best section, and I'm usually -0 or -1. In the past week I have improved dramatically at LR. It is exactly like someone said previously, when Neo begins to see the matrix. Every problem almost becomes too predictable (still have to get to later PT which should become more difficult). BUT RC is still killing me. I hope that it is simply because I have spent the least amount of time studying this section. I'm going to give it a big effort here in the next 2 weeks and really focus on RC. If I can get it consistantly down to -2 I would be extremely happy and confident I can reach my goal. Overall, great night and may have to take tommorow night off and celebrate with a few beers.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:12 am

buckythebadger wrote: Overall, great night and may will have to take tommorow night off and celebrate with a few beers.

User avatar
Yassig
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Yassig » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:57 am

buckythebadger wrote:FINALLY got my first 170 score on PT 16


Congratulations! (Is there a jealous smiley? :D )

User avatar
pinkstark
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pinkstark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:38 am

jim-green wrote:deleted


What is the study room and where is the study room...?

User avatar
pinkstark
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pinkstark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:43 am

One question bothers me for a really long time.
pt 10 section 1 #18.
I totally don't understand why the answer is E.

I'm having a hard time with LR. It eats my brain. Sometime I think it's looking for an abstract answer...and sometimes I think it's looking for a more concrete answer... like PT 13 section 2 #24. I couldn't decide if it was A or E. A is more concrete, but E is more abstract. or am I missing something here?

User avatar
pinkstark
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pinkstark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am

I don't know how the group study works.. I want to join, but i don't know how.
Also, if anybody is interested in having a LR study group. please let me know!!! I think I posted it before, but only one person was interested. Is everybody just good at LR? I had a great mood today, so I picked 3 questions from PT 18. section 2. I thought oh great. I got them. Then I checked with the answers. 3 in a roll all wrong. It ruined my day.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby soj » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:25 am

PT 36
LR1: -3
RC: -3
LRe (PT30 S2): -5 :(
LR2: -2
LG: 0
Raw: -8
Scaled: 173

I need to do some serious LR review. Every mistake in the book resurfaced in LR: misbubbling, misreading, erroneous reasoning, inefficient pacing, second-guessing, ... :x

Also, why do I always do poorly on PTs I cut up to use as experimentals?

The good news: I got 8/8 on the Latin writings and specialists passage, even though I still don't fully understand what that crap was all about. :roll: Also, LG went great even though the games weren't exactly easy.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:43 am

pinkstark wrote:I don't know how the group study works.. I want to join, but i don't know how.
Also, if anybody is interested in having a LR study group. please let me know!!! I think I posted it before, but only one person was interested. Is everybody just good at LR? I had a great mood today, so I picked 3 questions from PT 18. section 2. I thought oh great. I got them. Then I checked with the answers. 3 in a roll all wrong. It ruined my day.



Hmm sorry you're having such trouble with LR and that the three you did from 18 were wrong. :( I did PT 18 and got -3 between the two sections, so if you want, let me know which three you did that you didn't understand and maybe I can clear them up for you. I'll be online here for another hour and a halfish, and I could hop in the room too (although it seems as though you don't use the study room - you need to ask to sign up through Manhattan LSAT.)

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:56 am

Eichörnchen wrote:at least we're 168 buddies.
Eich & Gev, if I hear u complain once more about your 168s, I shall come over with my tire iron :-) I only wish I were smart enough to get a 168, because hard work isn't helping. Now, I want to see both of you get 170s on the next PT. Hope that motivates you.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 am

soj wrote:The good news: I got 8/8 on the Latin writings and specialists passage, even though I still don't fully understand what that crap was all about.
That is a terrible passage and i could not figure it out. I think I was -3 on that passage alone. Still don't get it.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:at least we're 168 buddies.
Eich & Gev, if I hear u complain once more about your 168s, I shall come over with my tire iron :-) I only wish I were smart enough to get a 168, because hard work isn't helping. Now, I want to see both of you get 170s on the next PT. Hope that motivates you.


Haha don't worry, everyone whipped me back into shape and I am good with my 168 - For now. It's just that I got my first 170+ right before that PT and I was afraid it was just a fluke. But 168 is in that "range" so I'm ok...But tomorrow I plan on doing Superprep A so we'll see how that goes :shock:

Oh, and I said a 168 was "meh" - any higher and I'd have been psyched, lower and I'd be upset. Therefore, it is meh. :wink: But don't worry, you'll get there! Once things "click" you'll see a big jump. What's your trouble section?

User avatar
pinkstark
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pinkstark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
pinkstark wrote:I don't know how the group study works.. I want to join, but i don't know how.
Also, if anybody is interested in having a LR study group. please let me know!!! I think I posted it before, but only one person was interested. Is everybody just good at LR? I had a great mood today, so I picked 3 questions from PT 18. section 2. I thought oh great. I got them. Then I checked with the answers. 3 in a roll all wrong. It ruined my day.



Hmm sorry you're having such trouble with LR and that the three you did from 18 were wrong. :( I did PT 18 and got -3 between the two sections, so if you want, let me know which three you did that you didn't understand and maybe I can clear them up for you. I'll be online here for another hour and a halfish, and I could hop in the room too (although it seems as though you don't use the study room - you need to ask to sign up through Manhattan LSAT.)


Thanks for your reply! I re-did them, and got them right...seems like I always have problems with getting things right at the first time. sign up through Manhattan LSAT...is that a name?

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 pm

pinkstark wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
pinkstark wrote:I don't know how the group study works.. I want to join, but i don't know how.
Also, if anybody is interested in having a LR study group. please let me know!!! I think I posted it before, but only one person was interested. Is everybody just good at LR? I had a great mood today, so I picked 3 questions from PT 18. section 2. I thought oh great. I got them. Then I checked with the answers. 3 in a roll all wrong. It ruined my day.



Hmm sorry you're having such trouble with LR and that the three you did from 18 were wrong. :( I did PT 18 and got -3 between the two sections, so if you want, let me know which three you did that you didn't understand and maybe I can clear them up for you. I'll be online here for another hour and a halfish, and I could hop in the room too (although it seems as though you don't use the study room - you need to ask to sign up through Manhattan LSAT.)


Thanks for your reply! I re-did them, and got them right...seems like I always have problems with getting things right at the first time. sign up through Manhattan LSAT...is that a name?


Good, I'm glad you got them right. Out of curiosity (I'm literally typing explanations for PT 18's LR right now) which ones were they? Maybe I can explain my thought process and see if you were thinking the same way the second time, or if there's any pattern to why you got them wrong the first time around. Also, if you want, you could do a few more from PT 18 to practice and I could pass along my explanations to them if you get them wrong. It might be good to drill a little more LR if it's your trouble spot.

For the study group, MLAST is a website/company but they let us use a room to study whenever we want (Nice, huh?). People generally sign up by PMing a specific member but he is currently on vacation so I'm not sure if you can get involved until he gets back or how adding on at this point works.

User avatar
pinkstark
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pinkstark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
pinkstark wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
pinkstark wrote:I don't know how the group study works.. I want to join, but i don't know how.
Also, if anybody is interested in having a LR study group. please let me know!!! I think I posted it before, but only one person was interested. Is everybody just good at LR? I had a great mood today, so I picked 3 questions from PT 18. section 2. I thought oh great. I got them. Then I checked with the answers. 3 in a roll all wrong. It ruined my day.



Hmm sorry you're having such trouble with LR and that the three you did from 18 were wrong. :( I did PT 18 and got -3 between the two sections, so if you want, let me know which three you did that you didn't understand and maybe I can clear them up for you. I'll be online here for another hour and a halfish, and I could hop in the room too (although it seems as though you don't use the study room - you need to ask to sign up through Manhattan LSAT.)


Thanks for your reply! I re-did them, and got them right...seems like I always have problems with getting things right at the first time. sign up through Manhattan LSAT...is that a name?


Good, I'm glad you got them right. Out of curiosity (I'm literally typing explanations for PT 18's LR right now) which ones were they? Maybe I can explain my thought process and see if you were thinking the same way the second time, or if there's any pattern to why you got them wrong the first time around. Also, if you want, you could do a few more from PT 18 to practice and I could pass along my explanations to them if you get them wrong. It might be good to drill a little more LR if it's your trouble spot.

For the study group, MLAST is a website/company but they let us use a room to study whenever we want (Nice, huh?). People generally sign up by PMing a specific member but he is currently on vacation so I'm not sure if you can get involved until he gets back or how adding on at this point works.


Good person exists! haha thanks! It's embarrassing to say...the first time I got them wrong was because I didn't finish reading all the answers...I'm now on PT 18. yea I've been working on PR exclusively. Hopefully I can get it soon. I finished the LR bible. I think I need tons of practice, since I kind of get things pretty slow...

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Haha why thank you...And that's a pretty common mistake. A lot of people see an answer that looks very attractive and pick it and move on, while the testmakers have stuck the real answer lower in the set of choices. It can be tough to make yourself at least skim the other choices if you are concerned for time, but I always read all the options.

Just let me know if you need any LR explained as you keep drilling 18 (or 15/16/20 cause I've done all those too) and good luck with your studies!

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Going to a friend's wedding in Dallas this weekend. Will be fun, but no studying Fri or Sat :cry: . Well, I could do a few games at the reception maybe :D

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I could do a few games at the reception maybe


Oh sure, suuuurrreeeee. Oh, and I am doing Superprep A tomorrow me thinks. I'm a little frightened, but at least we can discuss what we got wrong in study group (This is me assuming that my memory of you recently doing A is correct).

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Going to a friend's wedding in Dallas this weekend. Will be fun, but no studying Fri or Sat :cry: . Well, I could do a few games at the reception maybe :D

I could do a few games at the reception maybe


Oh sure, suuuurrreeeee. Oh, and I am doing Superprep A tomorrow me thinks. I'm a little frightened, but at least we can discuss what we got wrong in study group (This is me assuming that my memory of you recently doing A is correct).


Don't worry about Superprep A. Worry about B and C, they are harder IMO.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests