June 2011 Study Group

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Supahprep A
LR1 23/25
RC 23/27
LG 17/24
LR2 22/25

Raw 85 Scaled 165. Yikez

Edit: At least I got to start page 54 on the thread. I hear this gives you at least 4 extra raw points on test day.

ssingh111
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby ssingh111 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm

hahahahah.... I hear that!

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:32 am

Eichörnchen wrote:scaled: 168
my opinion: Meh. :| Mehhhhhh :|
168 is terrific. i wish I were getting 168.

privatemf
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 am

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby privatemf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:11 am

I have started working on Logic Reasoning and for some reason I am thinking maybe I should wait on taking the test. My head is killing me. Logic Games was at least find of fun.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:32 am

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:scaled: 168
my opinion: Meh. :| Mehhhhhh :|
168 is terrific. i wish I were getting 168.

Thanks :) I definitely wasn't unhappy with it, but it's at that spot where any lower and I would have been. I think I'm just sick of games throwing off my groove. -2 on all sections except a -9 on games. Gee, I wonder what my weakness is. I know I've put off drilling them cause I hate them, and I hate them cause I suck at them. Not a good cycle. I'm going to start doing 3 games/day and reviewing and hopefully that will make a difference. :?

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby maxpower430 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:scaled: 168
my opinion: Meh. :| Mehhhhhh :|
168 is terrific. i wish I were getting 168.

Thanks :) I definitely wasn't unhappy with it, but it's at that spot where any lower and I would have been. I think I'm just sick of games throwing off my groove. -2 on all sections except a -9 on games. Gee, I wonder what my weakness is. I know I've put off drilling them cause I hate them, and I hate them cause I suck at them. Not a good cycle. I'm going to start doing 3 games/day and reviewing and hopefully that will make a difference. :?


if it makes you feel any better, i had the same thing happen to me recently where i misdiagrammed a rule which subsequently led to me bombing that game and ended the section -8. I think all you can do is use it as a learning experience, like in my case i assumed the rule would be one way b/c that's how it usually is (basically the rule was something like x before z, and y before z, and i read it as being x before z and after y since that rule is fairly common), but i'm just using it as a wakeup call when it comes to being more attentive when reading the rules/setup. i'm sure if you just drill the games a ton you'll get there though, that's really the best way to get better, frustrating as it may be

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 am

Yea what sucks is that the score wasn't an anomoly caused by a misread or anything, that's just about how I am normally. My answer sheet was all correct until about the second half where it just goes all wrong. It's because intake forever on the first games but get them all right, then have not nearly enough time for the rest. I'm just incredibly slow at games. :(

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby maxpower430 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Yea what sucks is that the score wasn't an anomoly caused by a misread or anything, that's just about how I am normally. My answer sheet was all correct until about the second half where it just goes all wrong. It's because intake forever on the first games but get them all right, then have not nearly enough time for the rest. I'm just incredibly slow at games. :(


ah fair enough, i won't repeat the whole mantra about reviewing/redoing games since i'm sure you've seen it a million times on here but fwiw, it really does help. one thing i did too that i found helpful was to do sudoku in my spare time/commute, it's all logic based and while it'd def not a substitute for actual logic games practice it's a somewhat productive thing to do while not studying and at least gets me in the right mindset for games.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:08 am

Eichörnchen wrote:The verdict is in:
raw: 86
scaled: 168
my opinion: Meh. :| Mehhhhhh :|


A wise squirrel once said that some would give their soul for a 164

Edit: Fo real, start drilling 5+ secs LG/day and enjoy your 175+ in June.

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:30 am

About to finish the Traciela PT 1-20 Grouped by Passages RC guide, and start on 21-40. The remainder of my prep until the June exam is going to be filled by taking PT 41-61, individual sections from PT 1-40, and logic game sections from the ACE the LSAT book. Let's keep up the heat. We don't have too much further to go, and I want to see all of us that have been working since the top of the year walk away with 170+ on test day.

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:40 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Yea what sucks is that the score wasn't an anomoly caused by a misread or anything, that's just about how I am normally. My answer sheet was all correct until about the second half where it just goes all wrong. It's because intake forever on the first games but get them all right, then have not nearly enough time for the rest. I'm just incredibly slow at games. :(


You can get a 175 easy if you go nazi on the Logic games. Do what florida coastal said, and take 2 full timed PT's a week and we will all slay the dragon on June 11th and be classmates at Yale. haha!

User avatar
Yassig
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Yassig » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 am

privatemf wrote:I have started working on Logic Reasoning and for some reason I am thinking maybe I should wait on taking the test. My head is killing me. Logic Games was at least find of fun.

+1. LR is the bane of my existence...

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:17 pm

geverett wrote:Do what florida coastal said, and take 2 full timed PT's a week and we will all slay the dragon on June 11th and be classmates at Yale. haha!
The LSAT is on June 6.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 pm

jim-green wrote:
geverett wrote:Do what florida coastal said, and take 2 full timed PT's a week and we will all slay the dragon on June 11th and be classmates at Yale. haha!
The LSAT is on June 6.


Eh it's just a minor detail. You say tomato I say June 11

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:The verdict is in:
raw: 86
scaled: 168
my opinion: Meh. :| Mehhhhhh :|


A wise squirrel once said that some would give their soul for a 164

Edit: Fo real, start drilling 5+ secs LG/day and enjoy your 175+ in June.


Huh, I think I do remember something along those lines. Well that puts things in sharp perspective. Thanks Florida, you made this gal's day. ;) And thanks all for the games advice. I suppose, to put it in most inelegant terms, I need to quit being a whiny lil' bitch and just do games full force. It seems like the LSAT is a test not only of ability, but also of willpower.

Oh, and Gev - that would be sweet. Please save me a seat at lunch at Yale. And
Eh it's just a minor detail. You say tomato I say June 11
is going to be a bumper sticker on my car hahaha

User avatar
geverett
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby geverett » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Going to do some cleaning around the house then take PT 46 today followed by a thorough review, an ACE LSAT game section, and some more RC practice from Traciela. Productivity be my guide!

User avatar
rht82688
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby rht82688 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:55 pm

June taker here. I've been using the ACE Games book too and it's worked wonders. I love how incredibly difficult they are. I can maybe get 15 or 16 correct on a typical ACE section but it's translated to getting around 20 or 21 right on actual LSAT sections!

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby soj » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm back at it. :)

PT35
LR1: -3
LGe (PT30): -2
RC: -2
LG: -1
LR2: -2
Raw: -8
Scaled: 173

A pretty tough scale, but my raw score is pretty much in line with how I've been doing. My goal for June is 0 LG, -2 LR (combined), and -3 RC, so my LR could use a little work. I seemed to get a lot of LR questions that I felt pretty sure about wrong.

LG (both of them) also felt harder than usual, and I had trouble finishing them on time. I'll be reviewing my mistakes as well as the ones that hogged time.

Surprisingly, RC felt like the easiest section, something that's never happened to me before. Even the infamous legal positivism passage (Dworkin?? More like Dorkin :roll: ) didn't feel too difficult (though certainly the hardest of the four passages), though I still got a Q wrong on it.

I got my free copy of the new Manhattan LR guide on Tuesday. As an owner of the previous version, I have to say I'm very impressed with all the new content. I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but the new version is about twice as thick as the previous version. I'm hoping this will help with my LR prep.

goose2010
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby goose2010 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Well part of me is feeling pretty good and the other part is feeling terrified. I'll start with the negative first. I am completely lost when doing LR using diagramming. Before learning any of the Testmaster skills/techniques, I managed to get some questions correct (-12 total on first diagnostic). Diagramming and the like makes sense to me when someone is explaining how to do it or when reading the explanation for the question. Unfortunately, I can't apply those principles when answering questions myself. I'm never sure what to diagram or which is the sufficient/necessary condition (thanks for the tips, Mickey D - they proved relatively helpful). I went back and reread the entire section, took notes, and redid the samples. I'm going to try to ask some questions tonight but I'm not sure what to even ask. Any suggestions?

On the bright side, I really understand and seem to be pretty good at the pure sequencing games. This is a major improvement and breakthrough (-18 on first diagnostic). I literally had no idea how to solve the games or even diagram them. I actually sort of enjoy the games (at least compared to the other sections).

Keep up the good work, everyone! Less than two months until the test dates (some may view this as a positive or negative).

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm

geverett wrote:Going to do some cleaning around the house then take PT 46 today followed by a thorough review, an ACE LSAT game section, and some more RC practice from Traciela.
Are we meeting at 8 pm in the study room? I did not receive an e-mail schedule for the week from JG.

User avatar
Yassig
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Yassig » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:26 pm

jim-green wrote:
geverett wrote:Going to do some cleaning around the house then take PT 46 today followed by a thorough review, an ACE LSAT game section, and some more RC practice from Traciela.
Are we meeting at 8 pm in the study room? I did not receive an e-mail schedule for the week from JG.

He's on vacation, so I believe he's ignoring us. :D

I guess bring any questions that you're stuck with and we can review?
Last edited by Yassig on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pkpop
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby pkpop » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:35 pm

jim-green wrote:
geverett wrote:Going to do some cleaning around the house then take PT 46 today followed by a thorough review, an ACE LSAT game section, and some more RC practice from Traciela.
Are we meeting at 8 pm in the study room? I did not receive an e-mail schedule for the week from JG.


Yes, there will still be a Thursday group meeting tonight @ 8pm EST. We will be going over some strengthen/ weaken questions. We'll see how long that takes us and then we can throw on a few tricky questions of any type you guys may have encountered this past week.

Edit: I posted the questions on the whiteboard so you guys can get an early start if you want...

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:59 pm

soj wrote:I'm back at it. :)

PT35
LR1: -3
LGe (PT30): -2
RC: -2
LG: -1
LR2: -2
Raw: -8
Scaled: 173

A pretty tough scale, but my raw score is pretty much in line with how I've been doing. My goal for June is 0 LG, -2 LR (combined), and -3 RC, so my LR could use a little work. I seemed to get a lot of LR questions that I felt pretty sure about wrong.

LG (both of them) also felt harder than usual, and I had trouble finishing them on time. I'll be reviewing my mistakes as well as the ones that hogged time.

Surprisingly, RC felt like the easiest section, something that's never happened to me before. Even the infamous legal positivism passage (Dworkin?? More like Dorkin :roll: ) didn't feel too difficult (though certainly the hardest of the four passages), though I still got a Q wrong on it.

I got my free copy of the new Manhattan LR guide on Tuesday. As an owner of the previous version, I have to say I'm very impressed with all the new content. I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but the new version is about twice as thick as the previous version. I'm hoping this will help with my LR prep.


Great job on the -8, man, that's my personal record to date. You will enjoy the fatter lr guide, it reads like a totally different animal. Has excellent drills and insightful approached to previously not covered question types. I also loved that all the sample and drilling questions were pre pt 40 so it complements our PTing pretty well.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:00 pm

pkpop wrote:Edit: I posted the questions on the whiteboard so you guys can get an early start if you want...
The LR question I would really like to do tonight is related to surgical innovations being used in drug trials. Anyone remember the PT# for that? I can't locate it.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby jim-green » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 pm

deleted
Last edited by jim-green on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Instrumental, ltowns1, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests