June 2011 Study Group

FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Sorry for cloggin' up the board today! Gev I saw the schedule and thought the PT reviews were on Sunday. I think I'll be able to pull it off tmr morning around 8 like you in time for the session. Hope to see you then

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:00 pm

geverett wrote:floridacoastal,
Did you get the e-mail from Justin about the PT schedule. There is a once a week PT schedule w/ a group that meets every saturday to go over the test. They meet tomorrow at 1 PM Eastern so I am planning on starting my PT at 8 AM CST so I can finish in time to do the review. Would be awesome to have you there.

Wait, it's on Sundays that we meet:
2. PT 47 – October 2005 – April 3 – Use 34.1 (RC) for EXP.

Or did he change something for this particular week when I wasn't looking?

goose2010

Postby goose2010 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
goose2010 wrote:I'll join this. Just had my first Testmasters class yesterday. We just completed the initial diagnostic and I was reminded why I stopped wanting to go to law school after taking a practice LSAT in college. Having been out of school for almost a year and not doing anything too mentally challenging since graduation, the diagnostic made my eyes spin and head hurt. I got a 151 (155 on the practice LSAT in college). Not too bad on LR or RC, but BOMBED LG. My goal is a 170. My GPA (3.74) won't hold me back from being admitted anywhere if I achieve a high LSAT score. Unfortunately, my abilities have never translated well to standardized tests...not sure why.

I plan on studying pretty intensely for the next two months. I don't have a job and will not need to get one until after taking the LSAT. I hope to treat studying for the LSAT as a 9-5 job.

Good luck everyone!

Don't feel bad about a 151 diag! Just keep it in perspective - lots of people out there wish they could get a 151 period (in fact, a friend of mine got a 152 on the real deal after taking a course). You're in a very good spot and you have plenty of time. I hope you aren't actually going to study 8hrs/day! That seems like a [b]lot , but hey, maybe I'm wrong.[/b] I just know a lot of LSAT wisdom says not to overdo it too insanely or you may end up hating the test or getting totally wiped out. How long/day and how many days/week are the rest of you all studying?

ps- I bomb logic games too :cry: I am not a fan of them.

I may have been a bit ambitious with the 9-5 statement...haha. I sorta just meant that I hope to work for a set period of time each day to maximize the time that I am afforded since being unemployment (by choice, currently).

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:36 pm

goose2010 wrote:I may have been a bit ambitious with the 9-5 statement...haha. I sorta just meant that I hope to work for a set period of time each day to maximize the time that I am afforded since being unemployment (by choice, currently).

Haha ok good, I was afraid you were gonna kill yourself with all of that...

And I am delighted that I worked allllll day today (again. ew) and am DONNnnnnneee with work hopefully until after the LSAT. Knock on wood that I'm not missing some part of the project that I overlooked or something. Enter: paranoia until bosslady confirms that I really am done. :)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Yassig wrote:Or did he change something for this particular week when I wasn't looking?

I don't think he did - maybe Gev's mixed up, not sure. If anyone wants to throw some problems up I'll be hanging in the room throughout the evening.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that the PT review is definitely Sundays, not Sat:
email-
Sunday PT Review Session (April 3rd) @ 1 pm
Gev was just mixed up. I won't be there cause I plan on taking an earlier PT, but good luck to you guys!

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Why the fuck are grouping games so hard, yet linear grouping games are so easy. ugh.

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:33 am

sunday at 1 pm is right. sorry team. I will just study tomorrow, and take my PT on sunday morning before the group meets. keep on rockin' in the free world!

elisedfra

Postby elisedfra » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:44 am

PT 29 LR -5, RC -5, LG -0, LR -4 -----Scaled score 169... hopefully I'll be able to bump up into the 170's soon.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:21 am

Wall of Text coming. Sorry! I like doing in-depth analysis of my results because it lets me procrastinate from doing more PTs. :roll:

PT51: -2 RC, -5 LR, 0 LG, -7 Raw, 176 Scaled

1. In lieu of using an experimental, I finished the four sections without a break. Not sure what the effect of simulating testing conditions more closely would have been. My performance on the last section, LG, certainly would not have suffered even if it were Section #5, not Section #4. I did feel a lot of mental fatigue on Section #3, LR2, which, under testing conditions, would have been Section #4 but also right after break. I'm just going to call it even and remember to bring an extra section with me to the library next time.

2. I literally finished RC with 2 seconds to spare. I did use a bubble sheet, so there's that, but under the stress (and the imprecision) of testing conditions, I definitely might not have gotten to the last 1-4 questions. My pacing was actually quite good on Passages 1, 2, and 4: 8:20, 8:00, 6:00 respectively. (I did hurry up substantially on Passage 4 to finish on time.) However, I completely screwed up my pacing on Passage 3, for which I somehow took a whopping 12:40. The worst part is, as I was completing P3, I didn't feel like I was taking substantially longer on P3 than on P1 or P2. So looking at my watch after bubbling the answers to P3 was a huge shock. I need to monitor my pacing more often and stop going on gut feeling.

3. But did surprisingly well in RC, considering everything. Miraculously I got 8/8 on P4 in 6 minutes, though I had to resort to the kind of desperate measures (e.g. not reading other ACs after choosing my answer, bubbling after every Q) that I'd rather not use on test day. I also got 7/7 on P3--it would have been a shame not to after spending nearly 13 minutes on it. :roll: It still puzzles me how I spent so long on P3 because looking back, none of the questions on P3 seems particularly difficult. Even the "logical continuation of the last paragraph" question, which I normally suck at, didn't pose a single distractor that tempted me.

In P1, I thought the passage and the questions were mostly easy except Q6, for which I struggled to find supporting evidence. I ended up choosing the B over A, TCR. I had problem with this Q because I didn't sufficiently distinguish between the author's view and Mphahlele's view while reading. I had trouble choosing A, even though I knew Paragraph 3 was all over it, because I thought Paragraph 3 was still discussing Mphahlele's view, not the author's. (This is actually the problem that should have led me to eliminate B, not A.) In fact, the author was discussing his own view through Mphahlele's words, which definitely makes it tricky to realize it's the author's VP. In other words, in future RC, I need to allow for the uncommon possibility that a single idea might represent more than one side's VP. Paragraphs 1-2 were all over B, but the author never revealed his attitude toward Mphahlele's tendency to blend categories; the author simply described how much it annoyed critics who preferred distinct categories. LSAT RC authors usually LOVE it when artists defy rigid categories, but that's not necessarily true of this author, who had a different reason to love the artist.

P2 had two confusing questions: 11 and 13. I got 11 right, though I was tempted to go with D. Ultimately I chose C because I had an inkling that at least one of the three theories wasn't completely down with the idea that the extinction of life on earth happened 4 billion years ago. And looking back, I was right--if Theory 2 is correct, life on earth would have been extinct at the beginning of the heavy bombardment (esp. considering bombardment was heavier at the beginning than at the end), long before 4 billion years ago. As for 13, I chose D, but looking back it's such a transparent trap that I'm disgusted I chose it. First, discounting a single piece of evidence for one theory (though admittedly in a small pool of evidence) doesn't strengthen an opposing theory, especially when that evidence wasn't supposed to be dispositive anyway. Besides, even if the rock previously thought to be Martian originated from the Moon, it's still possible that a meteor from Mars dislodged that rock from the Moon's surface, making it fly off and land on Earth. A, on the other hand, is correct despite seeming too good to be true. It rejects the possibility that Mars had meteors 4 billion years ago, which certainly helps the theory that only the Earth and the Moon had meteors 4 billion years ago. Duh. Overthinking cost me this one.

4. LG felt easy. Two relative ordering games, with no possibility of ties? And the ordering games are actually the trickiest games in the section? Yes, please! I finished the section with 16 minutes to spare and was able to go over every question. It also helped that I'd seen two of the games before, but I don't think I had trouble with them when I first encountered them in the Bible (or maybe Atlas), either. I'm guessing the LSAT gurus consider PT51 LG to be among the easiest LG sections in history.

5. My pacing in LR was OK. I was going QPM (1 Q per minute) through ~Q10 in both sections. Then I fell apart drastically in Q11-18 (and indeed, this is where I got most of my Qs wrong), and I actually felt a little scared for time in Q19-25, though I ultimately managed to finish with 2-3 mins to spare, allowing me to check over my least certain Qs.

LR1 Q12 Flaw TCR: D
The reasoning that led me to choose A actually better supports D. In fact, my reasoning didn't even support A. I guess my weakness in reading comprehension comes back to bite me in the butt when I misread ACs in LR. The author clearly didn't fail to consider A. In fact, the author's conclusion is A, so it can hardly be something the author failed to consider. :roll:

LR1 Q17 Principle TCR: C
Ugh, C actually uses the same words to make the same careful distinction made in the stimulus, so there's no excuse for eliminating it so readily as I did. I actually ended up choosing A because it was the only AC I didn't eliminate, though I saw the flaw in it that should have led me to eliminate it: the slight long-term savings might not be enough to offset the substantial cost of retooling. The stimulus made clear that retooling is to be chosen only if its long-term benefits outweigh the initial costs, and A never did make that clear.

LR1 Q7 Necessary Assumption TCR: C
I got this one right, but wasn't able to eliminate B. I could have eliminated it had I realized that it's not necessary to determine the limitations of the earth's sustainable supply. Simply knowing that it's limited and that demand can be infinite is enough as long as actual demand exceeds supply, which is exactly what C says.

LR2 Q8 Resolve TCR: D
Got this right, but couldn't eliminate A. It's the same old LSAT cheap trick--A could help resolve the situation, but only in some cases. D resolves the situation every time.

LR2 Q12 MSS TCR: A
I eliminated A due to misreading. B is as much of a stretch as D and should have been eliminated at the same time I eliminated D.

LR2 Q18 Necessary Assumption TCR: B
Had a lot of trouble with this one. I actually had B at the beginning, eliminated it for some reason, couldn't find the right answer (duh :roll: ), got frustrated, skipped the question, came back to it at the end, and somehow ended up with C. I'm going to read the Deconstructed explanation for this, but I'm guessing it has something to do with bridging the gap between the premise and the conclusion.

LR2 Q19 MSS TCR: D
Ultimately got the right answer, but struggled between C and D. D matches all of the criteria laid out in the stimulus, and C matches only one of them. C doesn't explicitly violate the criteria, but it still leaves open the possibility of violating it, so C can't be assumed. It's tough because if the passage is true, then C is true. However, if C is true, the passage is not necessarily true. Does MSS have to go both ways? Am I overthinking this?

LR2 Q21 MSS TCR: E
Why am I sucking on MSS questions again?!? TCR is actually quite obvious--the first sentence of the stimulus is a direct paraphrase of TCR. I chose B, which is actually the position attacked by the passage. I must have chosen it because I remembered it being mentioned, and didn't adequately understand the fact that the author doesn't agree with that statement.

tl;dr
Overall, good results, but there's still plenty of room to improve. Here are the take-away points:
  • I need to manage my time better in RC (I know, same old story every time :| )
  • Even though I'm getting good results, there are still a lot of bad habits and mistakes that fortunately haven't proven too costly so far. However, unless I can fix those mistakes, I have the sinking feeling that those mistakes are going to resurface and I'm going to be one of those people who severely underperforms on test day.
  • I lost a lot of mental stamina after the second section. It didn't hurt my performance this time, but endurance is something I need to work on. If LG and RC had switched sections, I probably would have scored lower.
  • I really hope this means I'm improving on Strengthen/Weaken.
  • MSS is giving me trouble. I hate that it's not always cut and dry. Then again, neither is S/W, and I did fine on those this time.
  • I'm making fewer silly mistakes, but my goal is to eliminate them by test day, so I need to be still more vigilant.

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 am

soj,
if you dont' mind me asking. when did you start studying for the test?

Man I'm getting a bit spent on studying. I think I might go out and do some gardening today to enjoy the weather and then hit it hard this afternoon.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 am

geverett wrote:soj,
if you dont' mind me asking. when did you start studying for the test?

Man I'm getting a bit spent on studying. I think I might go out and do some gardening today to enjoy the weather and then hit it hard this afternoon.

It's tough to say. I read the Bibles and the Atlas guides in December, but I got a little distracted with work and studied maybe once a week in January and February, during which I focused on LG (PS Bible workbook and Ace the LSAT, which sucks, btw). I also started playing sudoku in February, though I don't know if this has been all that beneficial. I wish I had started preparing for RC earlier by seeking out tough journal articles for spare reading because RC is my least consistent section, but there's not much I can do about that now, with just 2 months left till test day.

I definitely stepped up my effort in March, when I took my first exam. Since then, I've been studying 4-6 hours a day on most days (4-5 days a week). I've done 22 PTs (1-20, 51, 51.5). I took last week off because of some issues re: work and family, but I'm back in it to win it. :)

Studying for the LSAT can be really tedious sometimes. I don't particularly enjoy thinking about the test day in and day out, so I try to take days off twice a week or so. I like being able to come on TLS and share about my studying progress because there isn't really anyone I can do that with in real life. (Surprisingly, I'm the only pre-law student I know who is currently studying for the LSAT.) I think it's wonderful that we come here to encourage each other for the big day. Go us!!

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 pm

I am sure you will win it. Are you just doing PT and PT reviews from here on out? What did you start out scoring, and what things do you think helped things "click" to get over the 170 mark or have you always been scoring over 170?

soj

Postby soj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm a bit of a loser in that I was so afraid of failure that I didn't take a diagnostic until I'd read the Bibles and Atlas guides and felt reasonably confident about the strategies outlined in them. When I did start doing real problems, I didn't even do them the way they would be presented on the LSAT--I did them in categories as defined by the traciela Grouped by books. I did do them strictly timed, but they're not perfect replications of test conditions. The first one, PT1, I got -11 raw and 172 scaled. I've ranged from 171 to 180 in PT2-20.

I've done only two LSAT-condition PTs: 51 and 51.5 (both -7 raw, 176 and 171 scaled respectively).

So even though I've been getting some good results, I think I'm still relatively unproven with respect to my ability to score well under test conditions. But that's exactly what I'll be working on from now on.

As for what made things click:

LG: I had a pretty good intuitive sense for these, but going through the PS Bible definitely gave me a solid foundation. I marked every game in which I missed key inferences, took too long, or got questions wrong and re-did them a week or so later. Ditto with Manhattan (recommended, esp. for in/out and relative ordering). Ditto with the PS Bible Workbook (highly recommended). Ditto with the first 20% of Ace the LSAT (not recommended--there's a reason I only did 20% of it).

LR: I knew I had to ace this to get a good score, so I was a little disappointed that LR didn't come as naturally to me as LG. I went through the PS Bible twice (for certain sections like Weaken/Strengthen and PR, three times), and the Manhattan book once. Starting with my second go-through of the PS Bible, I've kept a text file of every LR question I've gotten wrong (stimulus, stem, answer choices, solutions), and for each question I wrote myself a mini-guide on how I should have approached the question. Since its creation I've gone over this file three or four times, making sure I never repeated the same mistakes. I still do on new questions, but I have been improving.

RC: I never really "got" this. Even when I do well on this, I feel like I got lucky. I'm also very inconsistent in this section, especially when I'm tired. I started out underlining everything important-sounding thing in the passage, but now I try to limit underlining to main ideas and words betraying author's tone. I also mark different viewpoints using acronyms in the margin, and circle/box major nouns (dates, people, works, etc.) that could be important placemarkers. I don't know if my marking is efficient, and I certainly could improve my pacing in RC, but I've surprised myself with how well I've been doing in RC (averaging -3). But I know one of these days I'm going to have a melt-down and have a -9 or something, and then I'm going to freak out.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Finished PT20 and went -9 LR -2 RC -2 LG. Really had trouble with LR, but happy my RC drills last night paid off.

pinkstark

Postby pinkstark » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm in. currently lost my motivation. probs because i'm hungry all the time. well
Also, LR makes me wanna hang myself.
Games are easy for me. I like games. I hate LR.

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Any thoughts on Powerscore vs. Manhattan binary/undefined grouping game strategy. The powerscore method seems to be working best for me. Anybody having a different experience?

pinkstark

Postby pinkstark » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm

geverett wrote:Any thoughts on Powerscore vs. Manhattan binary/undefined grouping game strategy. The powerscore method seems to be working best for me. Anybody having a different experience?

If the grouping game is about LG....Powerscore works well. After going through the game bible, I have 0 problem with the games.

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:01 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Finished PT20 and went -9 LR -2 RC -2 LG. Really had trouble with LR, but happy my RC drills last night paid off.

169 scaled. Awesome work. Keep going!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:28 pm

geverett wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Finished PT20 and went -9 LR -2 RC -2 LG. Really had trouble with LR, but happy my RC drills last night paid off.

169 scaled. Awesome work. Keep going!

Thanks! I accidentally locked myself out of my office where all of my new PTs happen to be - was so freakin' mad that I had to do an older one today. I went -7 in the first section which pretty much killed me. I had seen several of the problems as well so I don't want to vest too much into it. But the RC felt good and I want to stay on that high note! Let me know if you see any improvement on your RC this weekend after drilling so much yesterday.

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:44 pm

I just got rocked by some pretty hard assumption questions that I seem to be missing something on. Would anybody want to schedule some time tonight to go over and explain them to me? I can't find what practice test they are from as the Powerscore book does not tell you. argh. if anybody has a way to find out what PT these questions might be from just let me know. *sigh*

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:00 pm

geverett wrote:I just got rocked by some pretty hard assumption questions that I seem to be missing something on. Would anybody want to schedule some time tonight to go over and explain them to me? I can't find what practice test they are from as the Powerscore book does not tell you. argh. if anybody has a way to find out what PT these questions might be from just let me know. *sigh*

Wait, Powerscore lists them in the answer key if you're doing the problem sets. Unless you're talking about the ones mid-chapter? If so, they should be listed at the end of the book in the Chapter Answer Key and Question Use Tracker section.

Sadly, I won't be off of work 'til 8pm PST so I don't think I can join you. But good luck working through this stuff!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm

geverett wrote:I just got rocked by some pretty hard assumption questions that I seem to be missing something on. Would anybody want to schedule some time tonight to go over and explain them to me? I can't find what practice test they are from as the Powerscore book does not tell you. argh. if anybody has a way to find out what PT these questions might be from just let me know. *sigh*

geverett

Postby geverett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 pm

These are questions from the powerscore virtual class books.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:52 pm

:( unfortunately I'm busy all night too. But I'm free all day tomorrow if you wanted to go over them in the room, and also go over PT 16's RC like we talked about in study group. If not that's cool too just lemme know.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”