June 2011 Study Group

soj

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby soj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 am

soj wrote:You might want to try asking it on the Manhattan LSAT forum

Holy crap, there I go again with the Manhattan LSAT trolling. People might think I really am an employee or something. :roll: To be fair, the Manhattan LSAT forum seems more helpful for troubleshooting LR than for troubleshooting other sections.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 am

soj wrote:I just pulled off 180s in PT16 and PT17!! (0 LG, 0 LR, -2 RC in both)

Back to reality (-2 LG, -3 LR, -5 RC :x , 173 Scaled) on PT18, though.

jealouz. Keep up the good work soj!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 am

geverett wrote:Called in to work today. lsat study time.

Shit's getting real.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 am

Eichörnchen wrote:

Shit's getting real.

Shouldn't you be working? :D

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:31 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

Shit's getting real.

Shouldn't you be working? :D

Haha why, yes. Yes I should. I have the document I'm working on open, so that counts...

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks, FCorBust. I did three PTs in the past two days, so I think I'm going to watch a movie, go to bed (I'm on an insane sleeping schedule--it's 11:40am here and I haven't gone to bed yet), then start afresh when I wake up. I'm going to do a lot more in-depth analysis of wrong answers and close calls from now on. I still have 40 PTs to go so that's a lot of LSAT work, but I didn't give up my double major and graduate early for nothing. :lol:

FWIW, I work mostly at night, but I'm going to change that to afternoons so I can take evenings off. Besides, the LSAT is going to be in the afternoon, so I might as well try to get used to taking tests around that time of day.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 am

soj wrote:Thanks, FCorBust. I did three PTs in the past two days, so I think I'm going to watch a movie, go to bed (I'm on an insane sleeping schedule--it's 11:40am here and I haven't gone to bed yet), then start afresh when I wake up. I'm going to do a lot more in-depth analysis of wrong answers and close calls from now on. I still have 40 PTs to go so that's a lot of LSAT work, but I didn't give up my double major and graduate early for nothing. :lol:

FWIW, I work mostly at night, but I'm going to change that to afternoons so I can take evenings off. Besides, the LSAT is going to be in the afternoon, so I might as well try to get used to taking tests around that time of day.

:shock: Guess that's what it takes to get those 180s ... Ahem, yea I'm gonna get back to work. But by the by, I have been studying in the late evenings but I'm not a fan. I get sleepy and would prefer some loungey time before bedtime. After I wrap up stuff with work, I'd like to study starting at like 11 am and go through the afternoon.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:46 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
soj wrote:Thanks, FCorBust. I did three PTs in the past two days, so I think I'm going to watch a movie, go to bed (I'm on an insane sleeping schedule--it's 11:40am here and I haven't gone to bed yet), then start afresh when I wake up. I'm going to do a lot more in-depth analysis of wrong answers and close calls from now on. I still have 40 PTs to go so that's a lot of LSAT work, but I didn't give up my double major and graduate early for nothing. :lol:

:shock: Guess that's what it takes to get those 180s ... Ahem, yea I'm gonna get back to work. But by the by, I have been studying in the late evenings but I'm not a fan. I get sleepy and would prefer some loungey time before bedtime. After I wrap up stuff with work, I'd like to study starting at like 11 am and go through the afternoon.

I still sleep 7-9 hours a day though. I just sleep exclusively in the PM now. It's so weird waking up at 8pm. One of these days I'm going to pull a 1.5-nighter and get my sleeping back on track. Gotta do it before my body gets used to going to bed at noon!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:50 am

soj wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

I still sleep 7-9 hours a day though. I just sleep exclusively in the PM now. It's so weird waking up at 8pm. One of these days I'm going to pull a 1.5-nighter and get my sleeping back on track. Gotta do it before my body gets used to going to bed at noon!

So you sleep all day and wake up at 8 pm?? What have you done to yourself to cause this soj?

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:55 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
soj wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

So you sleep all day and wake up at 8 pm?? What have you done to yourself to cause this soj?

I think my circadian rhythm just naturally has cycles that are longer than 24 hours. Seriously, going to school was a nightmare. I think what caused my recent sleeping problem is a 10am interview that I ended up staying up late rather than waking up early for. Also, naps wreak havoc on my sleeping schedule because I take deep 3-hour naps. :roll: But in all seriousness, even I don't like what's happening to me, so I'm going to set my clock back to normal this weekend. I need to do some business (i.e. get a haircut, take a passport photo) in town this week anyway.

geverett

Postby geverett » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 am

soj, you must be our zen master. teach us your ways.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 pm

soj wrote:I think my circadian rhythm just naturally has cycles that are longer than 24 hours. Seriously, going to school was a nightmare. I think what caused my recent sleeping problem is a 10am interview that I ended up staying up late rather than waking up early for. Also, naps wreak havoc on my sleeping schedule because I take deep 3-hour naps. :roll: But in all seriousness, even I don't like what's happening to me, so I'm going to set my clock back to normal this weekend. I need to do some business (i.e. get a haircut, take a passport photo) in town this week anyway.

Dang, I was expecting like a 3 month trip to New Zealand or something haha. Well good luck with the crazy sleep patterns. You sound like my sis. She would be nocturnal if it were ok. Apparently no computer/tv for a few hours before sleep is necessary because the flickering lights stimulate your brain into thinking it's daytime. (Not to mention that you're supposed to cut out all refined sugar/caffeine.) But maybe I'd give up my regular sleep cycle for 180s...Do what works 8)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:But maybe I'd give up my regular sleep cycle for 180s...Do what works 8)

This is why I was asking when people studied. I usually study in the mornings and late night and avg about 7.5 hrs sleep/night. I was thinking today that I might bring down the sleep to around 6 and just get used to it, so I can be up bright and early to study instead of pushing snooze. Time to get serious!

soj wrote:soj, you must be our zen master. teach us your ways.

Pretty please

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:But maybe I'd give up my regular sleep cycle for 180s...Do what works 8)

This is why I was asking when people studied. I usually study in the mornings and late night and avg about 7.5 hrs sleep/night. I was thinking today that I might bring down the sleep to around 6 and just get used to it, so I can be up bright and early to study instead of pushing snooze. Time to get serious!

IMO, more sleep is generally more beneficial. You can't think properly if you're tired/fuzzy-brained from lack of sleep. Plus, our test is at noon, so it's not like we have to get up at 7 to squeeze in some practice before we leave or anything.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm

soj wrote:soj, you must be our zen master. teach us your ways.

Pretty please

Yea at the beginning of my prep I had the bright idea to wake up bright and early to get in extra study, but it was such a struggle. It lasted for one glorious week of success, but I found myself hitting snooze for a while (I put my alarm clock in the bathroom now so I have to get up.) but I noticed that I felt very sleepy during late afternoon. I know that I am not one of those people who can do very well without enough sleep. 8 hours is my body's ideal number and it will fight tooth and nail to get it. And Crumpets, I agree and that's what I realized and what made me go back to waking up at 8. Our test is at noon so maybe a little sleep-in is better so I'm alert then. I'm still trying to figure it out, especially because even with my 8 hours I still get afternoon lulls of being sleepy (and I am not very sensitive to caffeine and never have been :cry:) I think it might be because of the grim, gray weather of where I live coupled with my crazy-fun migraine fogs that I'm still trying to figure out (apparently it takes like 2.5 months to get in with a neurologist! Jerks.)
Last edited by Eichörnchen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm

i can attest that the no electronics at least an hour before bed really helps, i started doing it about 3 weeks ago and my sleep is a lot more restful. i found my studying has definitely improved, plus i've just had more energy during the day.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:53 pm

maxpower430 wrote:i can attest that the no electronics at least an hour before bed really helps, i started doing it about 3 weeks ago and my sleep is a lot more restful. i found my studying has definitely improved, plus i've just had more energy during the day.

I can pass out within 30 seconds no matter what, even if I've stared at a laptop screen for 5 hours, or drank 3 cups of coffee an hour previous. It's pretty strange, but awesome. Tolerance built up from living in a fraternity house filled with loud/obnoxious freshmen?

You guys make good points about the detriment limited amounts of sleep can have. I guess I'll just have to mess around with it. And crumps keep up the success with the PTs!

privatemf

Postby privatemf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Timing is my new enemy.

goose2010

Postby goose2010 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:36 pm

I'll join this. Just had my first Testmasters class yesterday. We just completed the initial diagnostic and I was reminded why I stopped wanting to go to law school after taking a practice LSAT in college. Having been out of school for almost a year and not doing anything too mentally challenging since graduation, the diagnostic made my eyes spin and head hurt. I got a 151 (155 on the practice LSAT in college). Not too bad on LR or RC, but BOMBED LG. My goal is a 170. My GPA (3.74) won't hold me back from being admitted anywhere if I achieve a high LSAT score. Unfortunately, my abilities have never translated well to standardized tests...not sure why.

I plan on studying pretty intensely for the next two months. I don't have a job and will not need to get one until after taking the LSAT. I hope to treat studying for the LSAT as a 9-5 job.

Good luck everyone!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 pm

goose2010 wrote:I'll join this. Just had my first Testmasters class yesterday. We just completed the initial diagnostic and I was reminded why I stopped wanting to go to law school after taking a practice LSAT in college. Having been out of school for almost a year and not doing anything too mentally challenging since graduation, the diagnostic made my eyes spin and head hurt. I got a 151 (155 on the practice LSAT in college). Not too bad on LR or RC, but BOMBED LG. My goal is a 170. My GPA (3.74) won't hold me back from being admitted anywhere if I achieve a high LSAT score. Unfortunately, my abilities have never translated well to standardized tests...not sure why.

I plan on studying pretty intensely for the next two months. I don't have a job and will not need to get one until after taking the LSAT. I hope to treat studying for the LSAT as a 9-5 job.

Good luck everyone!

Don't feel bad about a 151 diag! Just keep it in perspective - lots of people out there wish they could get a 151 period (in fact, a friend of mine got a 152 on the real deal after taking a course). You're in a very good spot and you have plenty of time. I hope you aren't actually going to study 8hrs/day! That seems like a lot , but hey, maybe I'm wrong. I just know a lot of LSAT wisdom says not to overdo it too insanely or you may end up hating the test or getting totally wiped out. How long/day and how many days/week are the rest of you all studying?

ps- I bomb logic games too :cry: I am not a fan of them.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Don't feel bad about a 151 diag! Just keep it in perspective - lots of people out there wish they could get a 151 period (in fact, a friend of mine got a 152 on the real deal after taking a course). You're in a very good spot and you have plenty of time. I hope you aren't actually going to study 8hrs/day! That seems like a lot , but hey, maybe I'm wrong. I just know a lot of LSAT wisdom says not to overdo it too insanely or you may end up hating the test or getting totally wiped out. How long/day and how many days/week are the rest of you all studying?

ps- I bomb logic games too :cry: I am not a fan of them.

With a busy week its about 15-20 and an easy week more like 25-35. How bout everyone else? Sometimes I see 175+ers study about 1-2 hrs a day for a month before test day. I'm just not the type to be able to pick it up that fast (this is where the brute force idea comes in :shock: )

Lovin' the positive vibes eich. I agree about the 151 - don't worry about it. You'll see generous amounts of TLSers have reported 20+ gains with a lot of hard work. I scored a 152 on my diag and failed the games miserably. 2 months ago I posted a 3/24 on a LR section and now am around -0 to -4 consistently. Its very learnable stuff. Good luck!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 pm

I think 25-35 sounds about right for an LSAT-heavy week. Right now I'm doing about 20ish, but as soon as I have more time I will kick it up to about 30-35. I know I need to use brute force on games because I've already done the bible and know the concepts, yet am horrifically slow, so I plan to put in a lot of time, but I don't know if doing 8 hrs/day minimum every day is doable (or even desirable for performance) but I guess it just depends on your style. I do think it is important to not absolutely hate the test and I wonder if I would grow to loathe it if I literally made it almost my every waking moment.

edit - I forgot to mention that diagnostics are not the be-all, end-all of indicating who will be the top scorers. For example, I got a 160 diagnostic and there are plenty of people ( :evil: hehe) with lower diags who are outscoring me. But hey, I still plan on being a top scorer too (hopehopehopehope)
Last edited by Eichörnchen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geverett

Postby geverett » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:22 pm

RC all day. Probably done 25 passages. Starting to get a better rhythm. We will see if this translates into a better score when I take a PT tomorrow. Anybody else attending the session tomorrow?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 pm

geverett wrote:RC all day. Probably done 25 passages. Starting to get a better rhythm. We will see if this translates into a better score when I take a PT tomorrow. Anybody else attending the session tomorrow?

I'll be doing RC drills tonight, hopefully yours translate to a -0 tomorrow. When's the session tomorrow, I was plannin on Superprep A

geverett

Postby geverett » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm

floridacoastal,
Did you get the e-mail from Justin about the PT schedule. There is a once a week PT schedule w/ a group that meets every saturday to go over the test. They meet tomorrow at 1 PM Eastern so I am planning on starting my PT at 8 AM CST so I can finish in time to do the review. Would be awesome to have you there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”