June 2011 Study Group

jim-green

PT33 S2 #19 - RC

Postby jim-green » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 pm

Has anyone done the RC section of PT33 yet?

PT33 S2 question #19
This question is pretty tricky. A is correct because lines 17-18 say so. However, D also appears correct because of line 21. Any thoughts on why answer D is incorrect?

Ssushi

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby Ssushi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm taking the test in June and I'm just beginning to prep. Iv'e taken 3 practice tests, 165, 166 and 167 and I'm aiming for a 175+.

Any good tips to improve on CR? I got both powerscore bibles and about 57 practice tests so im wondering what i should be doing that will significantly help me.

Logic STUD

Re: PT33 S2 #19 - RC

Postby Logic STUD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 pm

tcliff

Postby tcliff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Been a while since I posted on here, but as my studying has come along and my process has developed, I wanted to get a bit of feedback on my studying method, and whether people see any major problems with it.

I've gone through the LGB and LRB, currently doing a review of certain sections of the LGB because I want to increase my speed on that section.

Right now I'm trying to take a timed PT every other day. After taking a PT, I go over all the problems I got wrong. "Going over" means I have a word document that I keep track of all the tests I take, the specific questions I got wrong on each test, the question type it was, and type up an explanation of why the answer I chose was wrong and why the correct answer was right. Beyond that, I read over any questions that seemed difficult while I was taking the test but nevertheless got correct, and mentally take account of what made my answer choice correct, and the others wrong.

I have copies of LGs from all the tests, and am planning on taking four of these from tests I have already taken on the days between PTs.

Last Pt (#15)
Section 1, RC, -0
Section 2, LR, - 1
Section 3, LR, -2
Section 4, LG, -0 (but one of the Qs I remembered from the LGB)
Raw 98, Scaled 177, but I think this test is so old that it doesn't mean much beyond good practice.

I guess I'm mostly concerned because I know some people like to drill specific areas intensely more than I am doing. I kind of feel that my approach will give me a better picture of my weaknesses as a whole farther ahead of time than successively focusing on individual areas would.

Also, I like the idea of throwing in a few newer PTs so I'm prepared for the transition, but I definitely wouldn't have enough material if, as someone suggested, I just did newer PTs. I occasionally have looked back eight tests prior to a test I did once before, and I have more instinctive knowledge, let alone if I did them five or six times. Redoing tests is a useful drill to get down mechanics, but I don't think gives an accurate assessment of where you will score.

Also, I definitely think geverett is right about the skiing question.

PeterD2189

Postby PeterD2189 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13 pm

hey guys, first time test taker here just looking for some motivation and tips, i am currently juggling, school, an internship and a part time job with studying :(

jim-green

Logic STUD's intelligence leaves much to be desired

Postby jim-green » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Logic STUD wrote:Just read through it. D is definitely correct as well. I imagine this question was thrown out.
Is there really no way to eliminate this troll Logic STUD from the forums? I am worried a beginning student will take some of Logic STUD's misinformation seriously. I did see the previous post that we should not encourage trolls of below-average intelligence like Logic STUD by replying to them, however, I am hoping there is a way to ban them when they interfere with the functioning of this forum.

Eichörnchen

Re: Logic STUD's intelligence leaves much to be desired

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:02 pm

jim-green wrote:
Logic STUD wrote:Just read through it. D is definitely correct as well. I imagine this question was thrown out.
Is there really no way to eliminate this troll Logic STUD from the forums? I am worried a beginning student will take some of Logic STUD's misinformation seriously. I did see the previous post that we should not encourage trolls of below-average intelligence like Logic STUD by replying to them, however, I am hoping there is a way to ban them when they interfere with the functioning of this forum.

Yea I was all about giving people a chance, but it's getting pretty annoying :roll:

geverett

Postby geverett » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:37 pm

RC is driving me crazy. I have gone through the Atlas RC guide, and have seen a little improvement but I am still struggling with it. Maybe b/c I am going through the Traciela RC guide from PT 1-20 the Atlas RC system might not work as well. Many of the passages make it very difficult to construct any kind of scale image loose or otherwise. Any input on old compared to new RC? Any additional thoughts, ideas, etc?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:29 pm

geverett wrote:RC is driving me crazy. I have gone through the Atlas RC guide, and have seen a little improvement but I am still struggling with it. Maybe b/c I am going through the Traciela RC guide from PT 1-20 the Atlas RC system might not work as well. Many of the passages make it very difficult to construct any kind of scale image loose or otherwise. Any input on old compared to new RC? Any additional thoughts, ideas, etc?

Yuck it seems like it's driving you nuts :( Well just remember you have months to figure it out. When it comes to me, I keep it pretty simple for RC (at least thus far). I don't do anything with the whole scale idea, and I don't do any complicated diagrams. I just read the entire passage at a moderately quick pace and box all names as I go. I also underline the beginning of a new viewpoint and put V to the side. I underline key words that give away tone or author's opinion and put "AO" to the side. After each paragraph I might scribble a few words to sum it up ie- "critics dont like theory". It really seems to help me a LOT when I'm interested in a passage (for example, a passage that was about English gender equality in the 1700s and how it changed as people moved to America. I finished in 6 minutes and got them all right. Oh, yea btw I am a history geek :oops: ). So I try to at least feign interest and keep myself engaged (not always easy). I think that being an active, interested reader is probably the most important thing you can do. But those tips are just my 2c, especially because it seems RC strategy is really dependent on what kind of reader you are. Luckily for me, I'm a fast reader (Thanks mom for teaching me to read early!) and usually finish reading comp with about 2 minutes to spare, so take that for what it's worth. Just keep pluggin away and practice makes perfect.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, I have learned that interest in a passage makes it a lot easier. Especially if you are familair with the material. As a biology/history double major, about 1/2 the RC passages are something that I am familair with and enjoy reading, so that helps a lot. As for the other ones that are either dense, boring or both, I sometimes have to make little notes off to the side, but I try to do so quickly.

I took the weekend off and then went right back into it with PT 48 yesterday (167), then spent today reviewing my mistakes as well as my mistakes on the December LSAT I took (159). I think I am nearing the point of temporary LSAT overload, as I find myself missing some things that are easy to pick up, or drifting in and out of being able to focus on the material. I think I need to spend a little less time on this stuff. I'm spending about 4-6 hours during the day (I substitute teach) and it's starting to wear me down. I have the LG Bible as well as the new PT book (51-61) coming in the mail, so I think I might back off of the intensity for a few days.

On a good note though, I used to think that my LSAT ceiling was maybe in the mid 160's, but I'm starting to reconsider that strongly. Now that I am not only attacking the questions differently, but also learning WHY I picked wrong answer choices, it's getting easier to pick out the correct ones. I missed 18 total on LR in December, and so far I have gotten the total LR down to between 6-10, and I see that number improving over the next couple of months.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:21 pm

PT19. Begin.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:PT19. Begin.

Good luck! I took that one a while ago, so if you want to go over the questions just lemme know.

geverett

Postby geverett » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:PT19. Begin.

Hope you kill it my friend!

geverett

Postby geverett » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Science passages destroy me.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 pm

I take wayyyy too long to read the RC passages (i.e. nearly having to guess on 5 bc of time constraints). I'm a very accurate reader, but have developed a bad habit in UG of processing every word while I read. Def need to work on the speed.

Is it sad I'm posting during my 10 minute break? :D I <3 LSAT

JohnMKeynes

Postby JohnMKeynes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 pm

I am barely getting through Logical Reasoning Bible and barely have gone through basic linear games/drills. I'm I going too slow? I still haven't even taking one practice test.

geverett

Postby geverett » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:02 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I take wayyyy too long to read the RC passages (i.e. nearly having to guess on 5 bc of time constraints). I'm a very accurate reader, but have developed a bad habit in UG of processing every word while I read. Def need to work on the speed.

Is it sad I'm posting during my 10 minute break? :D I <3 LSAT

I posted during my 10 minute break. I am also having a rough go of it with RC. I battle quite a bit with science passages. I am considering getting some kind of science book to have a frame of reference through which to work through some basic science concepts that were taught in middle school that I have had no need for in 10 years or more. Perhaps this is misguided.

geverett

Postby geverett » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Yeah, I have learned that interest in a passage makes it a lot easier. Especially if you are familair with the material. As a biology/history double major, about 1/2 the RC passages are something that I am familair with and enjoy reading, so that helps a lot. As for the other ones that are either dense, boring or both, I sometimes have to make little notes off to the side, but I try to do so quickly.

I took the weekend off and then went right back into it with PT 48 yesterday (167), then spent today reviewing my mistakes as well as my mistakes on the December LSAT I took (159). I think I am nearing the point of temporary LSAT overload, as I find myself missing some things that are easy to pick up, or drifting in and out of being able to focus on the material. I think I need to spend a little less time on this stuff. I'm spending about 4-6 hours during the day (I substitute teach) and it's starting to wear me down. I have the LG Bible as well as the new PT book (51-61) coming in the mail, so I think I might back off of the intensity for a few days.

On a good note though, I used to think that my LSAT ceiling was maybe in the mid 160's, but I'm starting to reconsider that strongly. Now that I am not only attacking the questions differently, but also learning WHY I picked wrong answer choices, it's getting easier to pick out the correct ones. I missed 18 total on LR in December, and so far I have gotten the total LR down to between 6-10, and I see that number improving over the next couple of months.

Seems we are in a similar boat. I got a 157 in December, and my last PT score was a 167. I'm feeling pretty confident on Logic Games and Logical Reasoning. Perhaps I could throw you some advice there, and you could help me on RC.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Annoyed. LG -0 LR -10 RC -8 for 82 and 166. My RC has dipped way below my avg the past 2-3 PTs. Thinking I just need to drill for time, really. I won't miss a q if I have an extra 10 mins on RC, so I need to drive in my head the speed factor.

geverett

Postby geverett » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 pm

I will attempt that RC section in the morning. Would you be up for going over it tomorrow? Might be good for both of us even if the only problem is time. Also if you want to go over any of the LR I'd be down for that as well

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 am

geverett wrote:I will attempt that RC section in the morning. Would you be up for going over it tomorrow? Might be good for both of us even if the only problem is time. Also if you want to go over any of the LR I'd be down for that as well

I took that PT a while ago, so I'd be willing to go over any of the sections too

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am

geverett wrote:I will attempt that RC section in the morning. Would you be up for going over it tomorrow? Might be good for both of us even if the only problem is time. Also if you want to go over any of the LR I'd be down for that as well

I think that'd be a good idea. I still haven't used the room, so this will be a good start. I'll be unavailable 2-6 CST but review any other time. Let me know! And that goes for Eich too

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:41 am

So curiosity finally got the best of me: Eichhörnchen = squirrel in German = wtf? Haha

Another random note - I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I'll be brute forcing my way into the 170s. Anyone else projecting the same?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:05 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:So curiosity finally got the best of me: Eichhörnchen = squirrel in German = wtf? Haha

Another random note - I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I'll be brute forcing my way into the 170s. Anyone else projecting the same?

Me too. I feel like I can for sure get LG down to -2 max, and working through the LR bibles I project a -6 or so max on LR, and my RC has always been pretty good and is steadily improving, so I'm with you there. I just wish I would have prepped like this before I took it and got a 159. lol

jim-green

PT 19 review in room

Postby jim-green » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I think that'd be a good idea. I still haven't used the room, so this will be a good start. I'll be unavailable 2-6 CST but review any other time. Let me know! And that goes for Eich too
I've done PT 19 earlier, so if you guys review it in the room, let me know. I'll attend.

Also, to the person who said they are just starting the LG bibles and haven't taken a PT yet, I would say, don't take a PT yet. Complete the bibles and all questions at the end of chapters. Then take PTs. It'll help your scores improve a lot. Unprepared PTs are a waste of time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”