June 2011 Study Group

FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just finished PT22; went RC -2 LR -9 LG -2. Gotta love LR. Not. Oh well I'm not crying with an 88 raw, I just started using the SimuGator LSAT proctor and I can't tell you how nice it is. I was scoring 170s before I got it, and the first time I used it I scored a 158. It forces you to adjust to timing - you really can't cheat here and there like you can with a watch. I used to give myself a minute to two extra if I was interrupted, or give myself an extra couple minutes to bubble, or give myself a long break, etc. If you don't have the discipline to avoid these little things the DVDs a must buy.

Good job. I'm taking a PT tomorrow and I realllly hope to see some improvement. I thought about the DVD but was on the fence because I am a slave to proper timing while PTing but it might be good to get used to the background LSAT noise. Though maybe my neighbor's annoying dog will suffice :roll:

Ha the dog should help! I usually study in the polisci and philosophy department at my university and there is usually annoying banter. Are you planning on taking PT50 with exp tomorrow?

Haha the dog is goin strong at this very moment, God bless 'em. :? And to be honest, I'm really confused about my preptest use and schedule. I wanted to save the more recent ones til the end, but I really am not sure how I'm going to schedule them out and if I'm going to follow that study group. I'd really like to discuss full PTs with people so it's probably a good idea. Blah, I don't know haha. I was originally going to take one in the very late teens or early twenties.

Yea I was doing the same type of thinking in terms of which PTs to take. After reading up on TLS it seems that curves have tightened up on the newer exams, and the RC has gotten more difficult. You've probably read that RC comparison only started in 2007. Some reported that they had false expectations of where their scores were because they focused entirely on old PTs (and their forgiving scales) until the last month. A couple said they regretted exclusively using the newest PTs in their last month for this reason. So I am going to take a newer PT/week (per jg's schedule), and two older ones/week until May. Then I'm switching strictly to 40-current(ones I won't have taken) and hoping for 20 in May. With that rate I'll have about 38 full PTs timed come test day

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:38 pm

That sounds like a good plan. I think I will finish up buying all of the newer ones that I don't have, and sit down and make a solid plan with the study group and my goals in mind. Maybe I'll do something similar where I take a more recent one once a week, or at least once every two weeks and also mix in some of the older ones in place of a few of the newer ones I planned to do in April, but finish up my prep with only the newest, unseen ones. Hmm. So maybe I'll do 50 tomorrow, but I might still just do one in the 20s as I had anticipated, especially because the time I have set aside to PT is the time that 50 will be discussed in the group.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Just got done with PT 50 first time I took a real LSAT with experimental section

LG(Exp):-2
RC:-9 (:/)
LR1: -9 (:/)
LG:-0(this saved me)
LR 2:-6

Raw:76
Scaled:159

I am pretty disappointed since I felt really good about the test while taking it. I haven't looked over the exact problems I missed I figured I would take the rest of the night off and start my review with the group tomorrow morning.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57 am

99.9luft wrote:have you gone through the Manhattan RC guide? It helped me go from -5 (pre-guide) in the fall to -3 average (post guide) now.

Where can we find this guide?

jim-green

Greyhound Keeshond game

Postby jim-green » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Anyone remember which PT the Placing 6 dogs game is from? (Greyhound, Keeshond). It is Section 3 of that PT and I have a lone copy of the page but am unable to find the original rest of the PT because I did not mark the page.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:30 pm

jim-green wrote:
99.9luft wrote:have you gone through the Manhattan RC guide? It helped me go from -5 (pre-guide) in the fall to -3 average (post guide) now.

Where can we find this guide?

I would suggest the Manhattan LSAT web store or Amazon as a good place to look.

chrisnyoder

Postby chrisnyoder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:24 pm

First time posting here, but I figured I'd join the crowd to get some extra motivation.

Took a practice test today (#33) and was not happy with the 163 result
LR - 10 :(
AR - 10 :(
RC - 2

First and third logic games killed me. I think I'm going to take a few days off from studying as I seem to be steadily declining in performance since my 172 that I took 2 weeks and 5 tests ago.

Should I still do some moderate studying despite feeling depressed and burned out?

Hunterrhoid

Re: Greyhound Keeshond game

Postby Hunterrhoid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:27 pm

jim-green wrote:Anyone remember which PT the Placing 6 dogs game is from? (Greyhound, Keeshond). It is Section 3 of that PT and I have a lone copy of the page but am unable to find the original rest of the PT because I did not mark the page.

44. Tricky LR language on that one.

Hunterrhoid

Postby Hunterrhoid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Should I still do some moderate studying despite feeling depressed and burned out?

YES. You have to use those negative feelings to drive you to come up with new/improved strategies to eliminate your weaknesses. Now is the best time. Your frustration will lead you to think outside the box and figure out how you can change what you are doing, but only if you harness it.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Do you mean today or in general?

Take a day off if you have to. If you start hating the test, that's going to hurt down the line.

Try to stay motivated, though. You're way ahead of the game (relative to the average LSAT-taker) by prepping this early, and the fact that you got a 172 shows that you have the potential to get a great score. The test is just too important -- a couple points can be the difference between a meh school and a great school, or $150,000 in loans and a great scholarship. You can do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRuwYF2Pc60

Olive

Postby Olive » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:06 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
Olive wrote:Could someone explain PT 11 Section 4, #19? I have the Kaplan explanation, but I am just not understanding this question or the Kaplan explanation. Thanks in advance.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q19-the-proposal-to-extend-t859.html?sid=7e1d48a21f184c1b5987c6cbe4d8998f

Many thanks for the link, but I am still confused. I understand that both surgical trials and medicinal drugs could both be objectively worse, but it seemed to me like the argument allows for that. It's just saying that, in addition, when you deal with surgical trials, even the most appropriate procedure's effectiveness relies on the skill of the surgeon as well. I don't understand how the author doesn't consider A in the argument. None of the other answer choices seemed that great, but I don't understand A. Could someone clarify? Much appreciated!

geverett

Postby geverett » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Did the group already go through PT 50 w/ LG experimental section from PT 30 yesterday? I just got the e-mail about the PT schedule for the group scheduled to meet on saturday b/c I have been out of town.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:51 pm

geverett wrote:Did the group already go through PT 50 w/ LG experimental section from PT 30 yesterday? I just got the e-mail about the PT schedule for the group scheduled to meet on saturday b/c I have been out of town.

Yeah we just finished about 15 minutes ago. Still definitely try to find time to take it. If you have any questions, you can bring em up later this week or you can just post em here on the boards.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Mannn...I wanted to participate in the study group tonight. Fast forward to me accidentally dozing off on the couch for 45 minutes after work :oops: Thanks to my wiggle-room free schedule now I don't have time for both PT and study group. This whole being constantly behind in work, LSAT or both is getting to me. Oh well, PT time! *gulp*

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 pm

I was planning on doing all the 43+ PT's the last month as well. I guess I'll have to change that. I wanted to save those for after I studied grouping (which I havent done at all yet). Working through more Linear LG's today, hoping to practice some RC as well

Also, how do I participate in the study groups?

geverett

Postby geverett » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:23 pm

I also must do a PT so I won't be able to make group tonight. Have a great time though guys! PT 50 here I come! Will post results upon completion.

Player21

Postby Player21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 pm

I am also just hearing about these study groups. How do I join please? :)

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Hey everyone! I have posted here before but it has been a while, so I'm going to try checking more often :) I think I'm going to join some of the folks in that Manhattan LSAT study room from time to time. I have been studying for a while and have gotten some really high scores but mostly on older tests. I'm taking a class now but am going to try to take as many full tests on my own as I can as well.

Today I took PT 61 and did okay but definitely not where my target is. I got a 170. Got 11 wrong for a raw score of 90.
RC: -6
LR 1: -3
LG: -1
LR 2: -1
Experimental RC: -2

I'm glad I took a more recent one (due to the class) because it really highlights how much harder RC has gotten. (Whereas the experimental RC was much easier- probably from an older test). Definitely seems to me that there are longer passages overall with longer/more difficult questions. It has become a matter of being able to answer everything more quickly. And I was not used to the two shorter passages since I have been studying mostly from the older RC sections. I see now that I really need to improve my RC section. It pulled me down so much!

I think I am going to focus on taking the newer exams in the next couple of months. I really want to improve to at least a 173 on the actual exam, but honestly, I'm having difficulty figuring out what to do other than take practice sections. I hope this class helps!

I will also try to join the study group soon.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Went -19 on PT 50 (RC -8 :evil: :evil: LR -9 LG -2). I had a friend photocopy the conversion chart but I think he didn't get the right one. Can someone let me know the raw and scaled for -19 on 50? Thanks.

I was extremely frustrated to see such a black spot on RC. My averages have been much higher, but then again I've only been taking earlier tests thus far. Better pick up Manhattan RC Guide :roll:

Logic STUD

Postby Logic STUD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Joining the group. Excited for this. I'm pretty advanced, so feel free to ask many any questions you may have. And hopefully you can answer some of mine!

-LS

Yassig

Postby Yassig » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Strange and Player21, just send a PM to JG7773 and he'll send you the info on how to get into the online study group.

geverett

Postby geverett » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:37 pm

On my 10 minute in between sections for PT 50. I feel like I am killing it. We shall see.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Well, I'm in a much better mood now :) I finallllllllly scored in the 170s. I got a 171 on PT 18:

LG: -8 :x
LR1: -2
RC: -1
LR2: -1

So, even though it is an older PT I'm feeling happy, especially because I finished with extra time in all sections but LG (obviously haha). I had an extra 2:20 for review in RC and an extra 5:25 in the last LR (I reviewed all my answers and still had 2 minutes left). Now to get these games under control... :roll:

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Well, I'm in a much better mood now :) I finallllllllly scored in the 170s. I got a 171 on PT 18:

LG: -8 :x
LR1: -2
RC: -1
LR2: -1

So, even though it is an older PT I'm feeling happy, especially because I finished with extra time in all sections but LG (obviously haha). I had an extra 2:20 for review in RC and an extra 5:25 in the last LR (I reviewed all my answers and still had 2 minutes left). Now to get these games under control... :roll:

Congrats!!! Nice job. I can probably help you with PT 17 LGs if you are interested. Let me know if you would like to drill them this week in the room.

JG

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks! I definitely need major help with games so I'd appreciate that. I'm going to review the PT tonight and tomorrow and will probably be hanging around the room at some point. I'll post on here when I figure out when. I also need to interrogate amols to see what made her into the LG boss that she is haha. Bummed I missed study group, but I'll be sure to bring any questions I don't understand for next time and hopefully I'll see you around the room!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”