June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
EbonyEsq

Bronze

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by EbonyEsq » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:45 am

pebbles123 wrote:Hi everyone. I hope this is an okay place to be posting this, please forgive me if it's not (and let me know where to put it!). I was planning on retaking the LSAT in Feb., bought all new books (including mastery and timing, all of the new complete tests (with an extra section)), and then decided not to retake for a variety of reasons. I am looking to resell the books (at a signficant discount) and wanted to see if anyone was interested. Please PM if you're interested and I will provide all details/pics/etc.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone with studying!
Pebbles, is your offer still on the table?? I am very much interested in purchase.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:59 am

asaini wrote:I started studying for LSAT at the end of October, 2010, through Powerscore, took the Dec. LSAT and score poorly (143). I guess my 32hr/week work schedule prevented me in giving my full power to this exam.

I am taking courses towards completing my degree and still going to my job, but thinking of starting now in improving my reading skills, which may help in RC. I am thinking of taking at least a month off from work and school in order to perform the June, 2011 exam.

Any suggestions/tips on what to do for the next few months when I am not totally focusing on the LSAT?
I suggest you start right now, but if not, start reading some material on logic. I really like A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston.

Here's a review from the below website, which also provides other suggestions for reading material:

"Weston will show you how to spot gaps in arguments and flawed reasoning. His book is clear, simple, and concise (104 pages). It serves as an excellent outline and how-to guide for the LSAT's Logical Reasoning section.

It's a great (and amusing) framework for LSAT-style thinking. It's really cheap (compared to the other books, anyway). Don't buy an older edition of this one to save money, though. The author has improved/added significant content for each new edition.

Use: Before you start studying for the LSAT, or before you start the Logical Reasoning section."

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/ls ... books.html

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:10 am

TatNurner wrote:Ch-ch-checking in. Ready to rock this, stoked that there are many to work along with.

First time taker, gunning for June.

I was a little overwhelmed with all of the guides so I have basically settled on Pithy Pike's strategy (the one that is stickied at the top of this forum, for those who dont know). I notice nobody has mentioned that yet, am I missing something?
Not really. I think we've all developed an approach that works for our individual schedules and for some that might be Pithy Pike's approach. For others, it might be a collaboration of Pity Pike's strategy and other suggestions/courses/materials. I think you're on the right track, though, I would utilize other material outside of the Bibles for your study. Cambridge LSAT is a great resource for printing material that's already grouped by game or question type and working on your weaknesses.

Many have also utilized study schedules (both daily and monthly) offered on Steve Schwartz' website:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html

Great resources.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks Ebony.

Last night I ended up going on the LSAT blog and getting one of those 4 month daily plans, looks pretty solid and as you said, I'm going to blend it with other plans where I feel it comes short.

mandolin

New

Post by mandolin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:43 pm

TatNurner wrote:Ch-ch-checking in. Ready to rock this, stoked that there are many to work along with.

I was a little overwhelmed with all of the guides so I have basically settled on Pithy Pike's strategy (the one that is stickied at the top of this forum, for those who dont know). I notice nobody has mentioned that yet, am I missing something?
I think I'm going to go with the Pithy Pike Study Guide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Nah. It's solid, although some of the books are getting harder and harder to find. I just don't have enough discipline for pure self-study (slacked on prep going into Oct and completely choked).

asaini

New

Post by asaini » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:45 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
asaini wrote:I started studying for LSAT at the end of October, 2010, through Powerscore, took the Dec. LSAT and score poorly (143). I guess my 32hr/week work schedule prevented me in giving my full power to this exam.

I am taking courses towards completing my degree and still going to my job, but thinking of starting now in improving my reading skills, which may help in RC. I am thinking of taking at least a month off from work and school in order to perform the June, 2011 exam.

Any suggestions/tips on what to do for the next few months when I am not totally focusing on the LSAT?
I suggest you start right now, but if not, start reading some material on logic. I really like A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston.

Here's a review from the below website, which also provides other suggestions for reading material:

"Weston will show you how to spot gaps in arguments and flawed reasoning. His book is clear, simple, and concise (104 pages). It serves as an excellent outline and how-to guide for the LSAT's Logical Reasoning section.

It's a great (and amusing) framework for LSAT-style thinking. It's really cheap (compared to the other books, anyway). Don't buy an older edition of this one to save money, though. The author has improved/added significant content for each new edition.

Use: Before you start studying for the LSAT, or before you start the Logical Reasoning section."

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/ls ... books.html
Thank you.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:55 pm

I've been studying for a couple months now. If anyone in the Nashville area needs free tutoring I feel that I have learned quite a bit that I could pass on and save some time for someone else. Also, I enjoy teaching and hear it helps in preparation by teaching the material.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:10 pm

anyone interested in having a weekly conference call to talk and make sure everyone is up on their progress? I did this last time around and it certainly helped with sanity/motivation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Last edited by JG7773 on Sun May 24, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:48 pm

I see this thread being 121 pages by the day of the test.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm

brickman wrote:anyone interested in having a weekly conference call to talk and make sure everyone is up on their progress? I did this last time around and it certainly helped with sanity/motivation.
I would be up for this.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 pm

brickman wrote:anyone interested in having a weekly conference call to talk and make sure everyone is up on their progress? I did this last time around and it certainly helped with sanity/motivation.
I'd be in. Anything that keeps me motivated/sane is good by me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Manash

New

Post by Manash » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:08 pm

SrLaw wrote:I see this thread being 121 pages by the day of the test.
If that Dec 2009 thread is anything to go by [40 pages in 2 months], this thread should definitely hit those marks lol.

Guys, if you take a full test don't forget to post your performance and breakdown [example below]..making sure to ask any questions and we can pick it apart to help you realize mistakes or oversights.

I should be taking my first unofficial practice PT next week [PT 30 if anyone wants to take it as well] followed by 2 more tests before my official practice tests begin in February.
---------------------

Poster: thickfreakness
Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:06 pm

PT 57 (June 09)

LG: 18/23 (-5)
LR1: 24/26 (-2)
LR2: 23/25 (-2)
RC: 26/27 (-1)

Raw: 91/101 (-1)
Scaled: 171

Good news: I cracked 170 with a -5 in LG.
Bad news: -5 in LG

Dino game didn't trick me up, really. I made 1 careless error on it and then 1 error on the game before. Last game I was running on short time (about 8 minutes left) and there was NO space to diagram anywhere, which really screwed me up. Got to all but two in the time allotted, went 1/2 on the guesses, but whiffed on 2 that I actually answered. Not too encouraging. LR seemed really difficult, and I was glad I pulled out a -4 combined. RC seemed tougher, as well, but I nailed that, missing only the last question on fractal geometry passage (after changing from D to E). Prep was slow last week because of Thanksgiving and the like, but here's how I anticipate the rest of my schedule shaping up:

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Starting a weekly conference call, PM me if you are interested, we will be having our first call 1/16/11 or thereabouts.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm in... I thought 167 was a great score before I found TLS. Although I studied last time, I didn't study well (as in, I didn't really time myself at all, ahem, and had to rush through LG and RC on the real test). Applying this cycle and seeing what happens, but studying my ass off so I can break 170 in June, and hopefully, get T-14 next cycle.
It's awesome that there are others out there who already prepping :)

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:I'm in... I thought 167 was a great score before I found TLS. Although I studied last time, I didn't study well (as in, I didn't really time myself at all, ahem, and had to rush through LG and RC on the real test). Applying this cycle and seeing what happens, but studying my ass off so I can break 170 in June, and hopefully, get T-14 next cycle.
No way that your avatar picture is really you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 pm

SrLaw wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:I'm in... I thought 167 was a great score before I found TLS. Although I studied last time, I didn't study well (as in, I didn't really time myself at all, ahem, and had to rush through LG and RC on the real test). Applying this cycle and seeing what happens, but studying my ass off so I can break 170 in June, and hopefully, get T-14 next cycle.
... it is. I'm confused why it wouldn't be.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:10 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
SrLaw wrote:
Probably because you are attractive. I wouldn't recommend having a self-tar. There are some creepers on this site.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:
SrLaw wrote:
Probably because you are attractive. I wouldn't recommend having a self-tar. There are some creepers on this site.
Not a creeper. All I know is when my friends saw me on "a school forum" I got laughed out of the room. Recently I have seen quite a few attractive looking girls on TLS with pictures of themselves. Just seems odd.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm

SrLaw wrote:
Not a creeper. All I know is when my friends saw me on "a school forum" I got laughed out of the room. Recently I have seen quite a few attractive looking girls on TLS with pictures of themself. Just seems odd.
I'm quite the nerd so everyone that knows me would not be surprised to see me on a school forum haha. Also, I think the rise in female self-tars might be because TLSers seem to automatically assume that everyone on here is a dude. That gets sorta old.

But back to the LSAT prep talk. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:32 pm

dextermorgan wrote: Probably because you are attractive. I wouldn't recommend having a self-tar. There are some creepers on this site.
Anybody remember Cornell from the October thread? I think Eits ran for the hills.

Full-blown stalker.

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:36 pm

add me to the group!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:16 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
SrLaw wrote:
Not a creeper. All I know is when my friends saw me on "a school forum" I got laughed out of the room. Recently I have seen quite a few attractive looking girls on TLS with pictures of themself. Just seems odd.
I'm quite the nerd so everyone that knows me would not be surprised to see me on a school forum haha. Also, I think the rise in female self-tars might be because TLSers seem to automatically assume that everyone on here is a dude. That gets sorta old.

But back to the LSAT prep talk. :)
Yeah, I wasn't accusing anyone.

We have almost reached the Feb test thread length. I'm feeling good about this group.

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Last edited by JG7773 on Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”