June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
elisedfra

New

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by elisedfra » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:05 pm

JG7773 wrote:
gamblera wrote:hey guys! I am in this group as well.

anyone else following any of the schedules on lsatblog.blogspot.com? I am doing the 2 months schedule, so I can learn as much as I can early on (I have 19 credits next semesters. Finals are going to suck), and then continue taking prep tests after that until june.

GOOD LUCK!
I am doing the 5-month schedule and combining it with the Pithy method of drill and review for trouble areas.
I am doing the 6-month schedule, which is being condensed for 5 months of study. I'm just towards the end of the LGB right now. What do you guys think about having full-length tests in the last month leading up to the test? I think I'm going to add more full-lengths throughout the next 5 months.

elisedfra

New

Post by elisedfra » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:07 pm

gamblera wrote:check out TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT: (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=120471)

It is extremely helpful.
I totally agree!

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 am

Last edited by JG7773 on Sun May 24, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 am

stlisforlovers wrote:I'm going to probably spend the first month working on getting my accuracy back. It's sort of sad that I used to be somewhat of a beast at LG, but when I practiced yesterday, they made me feel like my brain was going to explode. :? Gotta get back on the LSAT horse. Towards the end of the month, I'll probably start doing timed PTs on the weekend.
I know there is a bazillion threads out there on this topic, but I'm curious if anyone ITT has any recommendations on good prep materials for RC? Thanks!
I've heard Nova Master the LSAT is pretty good for RC.....and there the standard wisdom of routinely reading economist

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:49 am

Well, I just ordered the PowerScore bibles and SuperPrep. I still have all my Kaplan books too. LET'S DO THIS!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pkrtbx

New

Post by pkrtbx » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 am

I am peeking in the door :shock:

It is hard to believe that after basically a year of reading about/thinking about/planning to study for the LSAT...now it is time to actually do it.

I have gone through half of LGB and a bit more of LRB and love the explanations but am very frustrated by the dearth of actual questions in the Bibles; I'm not able gauge how well I am internalizing the approaches and that the few questions in the LRB are basically ALL organized by type means I can't really practice identifying the question type, which has been a pretty big hurdle in the early stages of LR.

So tonight I'm placing a gigantic Amazon order for all the PTs I can get my hands on, Master the LSAT, the RCB, LGB/LRB flashcards, ACE the LSAT Logic Games and the LSAT proctor DVD. Time to get the ball rolling in time for Feb 5 when I take a practice test proctored by Kaplan and from there to..................180?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 am

pkrtbx wrote:I am peeking in the door :shock:

It is hard to believe that after basically a year of reading about/thinking about/planning to study for the LSAT...now it is time to actually do it.

I have gone through half of LGB and a bit more of LRB and love the explanations but am very frustrated by the dearth of actual questions in the Bibles; I'm not able gauge how well I am internalizing the approaches and that the few questions in the LRB are basically ALL organized by type means I can't really practice identifying the question type, which has been a pretty big hurdle in the early stages of LR.

So tonight I'm placing a gigantic Amazon order for all the PTs I can get my hands on, Master the LSAT, the RCB, LGB/LRB flashcards, ACE the LSAT Logic Games and the LSAT proctor DVD. Time to get the ball rolling in time for Feb 5 when I take a practice test proctored by Kaplan and from there to..................180?
I am ordering more from amazon tonight too, all the books I didnt have that were in TLS1776 post. Great advice in there!

Is the Kaplan proctored test an actual LSAT test? I was thinking of doing that as well.

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am

neeko wrote:
Is the Kaplan proctored test an actual LSAT test? I was thinking of doing that as well.
He was referring to the free LSAT that Kaplan administers prior to the exam date. They, and a few other prep companies, offer a free proctored LSAT as a marketing ploy. Never been myself, but I would if one of them was anywhere near my home.

Yeags

Bronze

Post by Yeags » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm in!
Last year in undergrad, the plan is to take the LSAT in June and apply this fall. I have been studying on and off last fall because I'll be having a pretty heavy course load this semester. I read TLS1776's thread yesterday and almost had a panic attack. That dude really deserves a 180.

Question: Should I get the ACE the LSAT Logic Games or just do as many games from the official PrepTests as I can?

Alright, let's keep each other motivated!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hooma

Bronze

Post by hooma » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Officially joining this discussion - I'm retaking (first time was a 163 in June, 2009 after almost no preparation...silly me) and I'm shooting for the stars this time. Just took my first practice test after having read most of the LGB and was very encouraged by a 168 on PT7 - it would have been a 170 if not for mis-bubbling two answers! Whoops!

Everyone's dedication is so inspiring! The conference calls seem like they would be difficult, but if they work out let us know and I may want to get involved! Preferably, if there's anyone in D.C. who wants to study together, that would be awesome.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:46 pm

When I took the LSAT last spring I follows the LSATblog's 3 month study schedule. LG is my strongest section, but since I didn't really study it since the beginning I feel like I lost something there. LR I'm good at, but need to get better. RC is my worst and can make or break it for me. So tell me what you think about this:

Go through the RC bible now since it's nice and early, try to have it done by the end of Jan.
Then do a modified Pithypike and emphasize more so now that a couple months before the test.

Any suggestions for LR? I always seem to disappoint myself in this section. I can finish in time, but my accuracy it shotty. When I go back through I can usually figure it all back out except for one. Just drill LR until I get it 100% then at speed?

For reference, last June I scored a 164.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm

neeko wrote:
pkrtbx wrote:I am peeking in the door :shock:

I am ordering more from amazon tonight too, all the books I didnt have that were in TLS1776 post. Great advice in there!

I think they use an old LSAT. They give them at most universities pretty regularly. If you go to their LSAT page you can put in your zip to find out if they offer it near you.

Underdog180

New

Post by Underdog180 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm still trying to finalize my schedule for studying and needed some advice. I plan to probably take 2 practice tests per a week up until test day. First question is, 2 PTs per a week a good method? Or 1 PT per a week more better? My second question is when should I take these 2 PTs and when should I review them in that week? For example: PT on monday, review it tuesday. PT on Friday, review it on saturday. Any advice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:53 am

Got my charge bill today, saw the refund for my Kaplan course. As far as I can tell, they aren't trying to get my materials back (fingers crossed). Psyched that they didn't hassle me over the refund, but pissed that I'm delaying and retaking. I got through telling half my extended family that I'd be delaying this past weekend (my mother's side). Anybody have any interesting stories about breaking the bad news to the folks?

Amazon still hasn't shipped my PS bibles. I ordered them shortly after midnight yesterday. Grr.

thouse

New

Post by thouse » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 am

Underdog180 wrote:I'm still trying to finalize my schedule for studying and needed some advice. I plan to probably take 2 practice tests per a week up until test day. First question is, 2 PTs per a week a good method? Or 1 PT per a week more better? My second question is when should I take these 2 PTs and when should I review them in that week? For example: PT on monday, review it tuesday. PT on Friday, review it on saturday. Any advice?

I think the most important thing is not the amount of prep tests you take a week, but rather what you learn after you review the tests. I think that is where you see big gains. When you review you need to go over not only everything that you got wrong and try to find out why the right answer is right, but you need to also go over the ones you got correct and see if you know WHY it's correct. Did you guess at the right answer? Or did you really know it was the correct answer?

gamblera

New

Post by gamblera » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 am

I hit an effing goldmine. A friend of the family heard I was taking the lsat and gave me: PTs 7-60 (may be a few missing in between but most there), LSATs explanation 1-40 by Kaplan, LGB, LRB, McGraw-Hill's LSAT, 2011 Edition, and a kaplan lsat cd .

Never ending prep material. june lsat EAU LE DUET!

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 pm

taking the june test, getting really demotivated because of my GPA. spent all day looking at school applicant profiles instead of studying. what kind of LSAT am i looking at for a shot at ccn with 3.26? using some .1 to 1 substitution i figured 179-180 for some chances. lolwat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 pm

theaether wrote:taking the june test, getting really demotivated because of my GPA. spent all day looking at school applicant profiles instead of studying. what kind of LSAT am i looking at for a shot at ccn with 3.26? using some .1 to 1 substitution i figured 179-180 for some chances. lolwat.
LawSchoolPredictor would put you probably in at N and possibly in at CC with a 180. It also suggests you'd have a 50/50 shot at HS. With a 176 you'd probably have a 50/50 shot at CCN.

You should play with the numbers yourself: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

And be happy you don't have my GPA. Even with a 180, LSP gives me "deny" for YS.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:39 pm

joebloe wrote: Anybody have any interesting stories about breaking the bad news to the folks?
I told my mom that I was disappointed with my score and retaking in June. She hasn't talked to my for a month. :(

In happy news I got the LR and LG Bibles from Amazon yesterday AND today is my day off work. I'm going to be one of those annoying people who bogart a Starbuck's table for 5 hours with one cup of coffee and a stack of books.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:39 pm

joebloe wrote:
theaether wrote:taking the june test, getting really demotivated because of my GPA. spent all day looking at school applicant profiles instead of studying. what kind of LSAT am i looking at for a shot at ccn with 3.26? using some .1 to 1 substitution i figured 179-180 for some chances. lolwat.
LawSchoolPredictor would put you probably in at N and possibly in at CC with a 180. It also suggests you'd have a 50/50 shot at HS. With a 176 you'd probably have a 50/50 shot at CCN.

You should play with the numbers yourself: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

And be happy you don't have my GPA. Even with a 180, LSP gives me "deny" for YS.
I have a stupidly low GPA as well because of classes I never dropped out of in the beginning of undergrad and I took F's in them, LSAC dropped me .5 from my actual GPA. I think if anything, it has motivated me to do better on the LSAT though, knowing that I have to. Otherwise, I would probably not be investing this much time into it. Silver lining, I guess.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
joebloe wrote: Anybody have any interesting stories about breaking the bad news to the folks?
I told my mom that I was disappointed with my score and retaking in June. She hasn't talked to my for a month. :(

In happy news I got the LR and LG Bibles from Amazon yesterday AND today is my day off work. I'm going to be one of those annoying people who bogart a Starbuck's table for 5 hours with one cup of coffee and a stack of books.
Yikes. Sorry to hear that things are stressful with the folks. Hopefully things lighten up in the coming weeks.

My plan has been to see about reserving one of the reading rooms at my local public library for full-length tests; home is just too chaotic and distracting. I think I'm also going to start doing some practice in the county courthouse law library. Even if it isn't deathly silent, just being there motivates me. And there's some fun reading for break time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm

I think my study locations will be a combination of libraries, my office desk and home. When the time comes I plan on taking PTs in more distracting areas, like the library, and perhaps a few at home.

If anyone hasn't utilized the option, consider taking some of the free online course sessions of Knewton. I've definitely picked up quite a few pointers along the way.

gamblera

New

Post by gamblera » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:40 pm

TLS1776 suggested online study partners. Anyone want to partner with me :wink:

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Anybody in Nashville want to partner up to study?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:04 pm

If anyone is in Dallas and wants to study, let me know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”