June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
amols

New

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by amols » Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 pm

pkpop wrote:
Each month has it's own little challenges. January is about getting organized and actually starting the process. February was trying to find self motivation to study for a test that was months away. March was a bear and separates the serious test takers from ones with good intentions but fall off the wagon. April is that month where the doubt might start to creep in. But I believe if you can fight the doubt, not cheat yourself, and maintain consistency while working on your weaknesses, you'll start to peak in May. Just like in sports. 4-5 months after the season starts is playoff time - where you step your game up and play your best.
I really liked this comparison! Very inspirational: entering playoff season. Time to step it up even more!

See you all soon in the room!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm

My worst part of RC is inferences. Any good techniques anyone has? I've read the MLSAT RC guide, but still not improved.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sun May 01, 2011 8:37 pm

pkpop wrote:January is about getting organized and actually starting the process. February was trying to find self motivation to study for a test that was months away. March was a bear and separates the serious test takers from ones with good intentions but fall off the wagon. April is that month where the doubt might start to creep in. But I believe if you can fight the doubt, not cheat yourself, and maintain consistency while working on your weaknesses, you'll start to peak in May.
Sorry, I started in March, so I will peak in September.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 pm

mickeyD wrote:Boo negativity! We can do this! And no, that's not some blanket statement of encouragement. I read everyone's posts, I see what people are working on, and I know that the people in this thread are capable. There's a reason we all started studying the day that we did, and not a day later. It's because these next 35 days are going to be where we make our final push to the scores that we want. Yes, we all envisioned ourselves getting 175s on 10 straight PTs before June 6 and having the real thing be just another walk in the park, but just because it's been a little more difficult than that doesn't mean we're not definitely going to get there.

There's a difference between not getting it because we just don't get it, and not getting it because we aren't there yet. Eich, I would kill to have your problems. You have the hardest part down with great scores in LR and RC. You have 35 days to master games, something that if you dedicate yourself to, will surely be accomplished. 2 weeks ago I was averaging -5 on LG, and yesterday I dropped -0 twice (LG and LG exp). Gev, RC does not come easy but you're going to break through soon. As you improve your LR from that -6/7 range to that -3/4 range, your RC will come with. Add a perfect 0 or -1 games section to that and welcome to 170-land.

Stop thinking about this mid-May deadline. I won't allow it. No one ever said getting into our dream schools would be easy. If you doubt yourself, I guarantee you that you'll fail. But if you stay positive, and do what you're capable of, you'll get there. We're all so close and the only thing that will stop us is ourselves. Let's dig our heels in and take this challenge head on!
This was great Mickey. I agree with you and now that I think about it, I am feeling better. I have gone -0 on LR (3 times I think) and in RC (only once though) so if I can get LG to that -1 - -3 level and really refine my LR and RC I might have a shot. I've taken about 4 days off and will start trying like hell again tomorrow. Until then I will be playing mortal kombat and sipping baileys.

And pk I loved the outline of the studying cycle. How true!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun May 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I've procrastinated registering and the deadline is this Tuesday. Wish I would have been more proactive so I could have sent in a fee waiver app. Grrrr

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tiniestdancer7

New

Post by tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:02 pm

well just as long as you get the place you wanted

amols

New

Post by amols » Sun May 01, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm kinda sad! My Next 10 book is falling apart!!!

I'll take it as a sign that I'm working hard though. :mrgreen:

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Sun May 01, 2011 10:30 pm

can somebody post the list of LR questions we did tonight in the group? I just got finished shaving the dog and want to go over them!

mickeyD

Bronze

Post by mickeyD » Sun May 01, 2011 11:19 pm

LR pros:

How strong would you say the correct answer to most sufficient assumption questions are? Are they typically more than sufficient or are they sometimes sufficient and necessary? Also, how often are the answers to necessary assumptions sufficient and necessary?

I got PT55 LR2 #24 wrong because it was a necessary assumption question, while TCR was necessary I guess (it was right), it was also sufficient for the conclusion to follow. After reading MLSAT LR Guide, I've been looking for those sneaky answers on necessary assumption Q's that are less than sufficient, so I was weary of picking an answer that made the conclusion true and instead picked one that, if you bend it a little, could have been necessary... ish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 pm

Finished the Atlas RC Guide today and just did the PT40 drill at the end, got -5 :cry: But it was my first time using their methods, so I'm going to try to drill them more to prepare for more PT's next weekend. I did feel more confident tackling the texts and I think it's helped

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Bin Laden is dead. We are all definitely going to be making 175 and above on our lsat now!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 am

PT 34
LR: -2/-3
RC: -1
LG: -0
95/101

It's stupid to say I'm annoyed at this score, but I am. I was going for a -0 on the second LR section when I missed three in the last 5 questions. FUCK.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
mickeyD wrote:Boo negativity! We can do this! And no, that's not some blanket statement of encouragement. I read everyone's posts, I see what people are working on, and I know that the people in this thread are capable. There's a reason we all started studying the day that we did, and not a day later. It's because these next 35 days are going to be where we make our final push to the scores that we want. Yes, we all envisioned ourselves getting 175s on 10 straight PTs before June 6 and having the real thing be just another walk in the park, but just because it's been a little more difficult than that doesn't mean we're not definitely going to get there.

There's a difference between not getting it because we just don't get it, and not getting it because we aren't there yet. Eich, I would kill to have your problems. You have the hardest part down with great scores in LR and RC. You have 35 days to master games, something that if you dedicate yourself to, will surely be accomplished. 2 weeks ago I was averaging -5 on LG, and yesterday I dropped -0 twice (LG and LG exp). Gev, RC does not come easy but you're going to break through soon. As you improve your LR from that -6/7 range to that -3/4 range, your RC will come with. Add a perfect 0 or -1 games section to that and welcome to 170-land.

Stop thinking about this mid-May deadline. I won't allow it. No one ever said getting into our dream schools would be easy. If you doubt yourself, I guarantee you that you'll fail. But if you stay positive, and do what you're capable of, you'll get there. We're all so close and the only thing that will stop us is ourselves. Let's dig our heels in and take this challenge head on!
This was great Mickey. I agree with you and now that I think about it, I am feeling better. I have gone -0 on LR (3 times I think) and in RC (only once though) so if I can get LG to that -1 - -3 level and really refine my LR and RC I might have a shot. I've taken about 4 days off and will start trying like hell again tomorrow. Until then I will be playing mortal kombat and sipping baileys.

And pk I loved the outline of the studying cycle. How true!
Mortal Kombat and Bailey's huh? You are too cool my friend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Viper

New

Post by Viper » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am

Just did PT 28, and I am completely in shock at the results

LR1: -9 (17/26)
LG: -0 (23/23)
LR2: -10 (16/26)
RC: -0 (26/26)

raw score: -19/+82
scaled score: 166

Well for starters this is my first ever -0 on RC (YAY!!), it took me a little over 36 minutes so as to finish the last 2 questions, not too big of a deal imo.

I finished this LG with over 8 minutes left to spare. If this happens to me (praying I get LG as section 1) on the real test I will surely be checking the 4 passages in RC to see which one i should be doing last, provided the proctor isn't being anal about walking around and inspecting everyone closely. Probably will check the rest of the sections to determine which is the experimental section as well. Maybe try to answer that last question or 2 from the previous section if i couldn't get around to them.

Most shocking was my LR scores. -4, -7, -2, -4, -4, -3, -8, -3 are my last 8 sections for LR before this PT. I haven't looked over the answers yet, but holy shit. I suspected i did bad on LR1 (I marked 12 unsure, oddly enough only 5 of those were actually wrong), but LR2 felt relatively solid (marking only 6 unsure). That means each section I got 4 questions wrong even though I thought i was positive of the correct answer....this isn't good, I want to shoot myself. -19 combined between LR is the absolute worst I have ever ever done on LR, even worse than my -18 on my cold diagnostic...

Well i was planning on going through the LR Bible over the next few days anyway, and I'd definitely say this would be the optimal time to do it anyway.

If anyone EVER told me i would get -19 total, including a -0 on RC, i would have laughed in their face.

Off to review PTs 26,27, & 28 tonight, then cracking down on the LRB for the next few days

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Mon May 02, 2011 12:52 am

Have you guys done PT 39-42?

Did you buy the digital versions from Cambridge LSAT or just download them from somewhere else?

Viper

New

Post by Viper » Mon May 02, 2011 2:23 am

Neatrends wrote:Have you guys done PT 39-42?

Did you buy the digital versions from Cambridge LSAT or just download them from somewhere else?
torrents ftw. I needlessly spent $100+ on prep tests that I could have spent $10-20 on ink/paper to print them out. Don't buy any test prior to 58, torrent them and print them. You can even reprint them instead of erasing everything to take the same test again.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Mon May 02, 2011 2:48 am

1-day vacation over too quick, back at it tomorrow. :?

After getting lucky with the generous curves of PT25-28 (can we all agree we want a -16 curve in June just like PT27??), I'm almost afraid to go at it again, knowing I'll probably see a dip. That's ok--I've had ups and downs before, I just gotta learn from every mistake I make. Let's do this!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Mon May 02, 2011 7:36 am

geverett wrote:can somebody post the list of LR questions we did tonight in the group? I just got finished shaving the dog and want to go over them!
Are you kidding?!?! How do you shave a dog? And why? Are you taking him for his LSAT photo ID shoot?

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Mon May 02, 2011 8:11 am

Yea I needed her ready for the lsat photo. haha. No i just cut her hair. She is a big shaggy dog and gets hot during the summer. What are the LR questions the group worked on last night?
Last edited by geverett on Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Mon May 02, 2011 8:20 am

geverett wrote:What are the LR questions the group worked on last night?
Sorry, I didn't write 'em down. Formal logic

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 am

Just got my first -0 on LG #29. Hip Hip Hooray!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 am

35 days.

Nestico87

New

Post by Nestico87 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 am

Did anyone else get wait listed when when registering for the LSAT? Should I be worried?

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Mon May 02, 2011 11:02 am

Viper wrote:
Neatrends wrote:Have you guys done PT 39-42?

torrents ftw. I needlessly spent $100+ on prep tests that I could have spent $10-20 on ink/paper to print them out. Don't buy any test prior to 58, torrent them and print them. You can even reprint them instead of erasing everything to take the same test again.
This kind of advice might be best sent through a PM. Just sayin'.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Mon May 02, 2011 11:32 am

Sitting down for PT 33.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”