June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Firework11

Bronze

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by Firework11 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 am

holden147 wrote:What steps do I have to take to sign up for the Manhattan study group? I work this Sunday night but starting next week I will be available to attend all study group sessions.
Diddo, I want to sign up for the cours as well!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:24 am

Hey fellow June test takers! Checking into this thread...haven't read the past 19 pages (whoo 4 am tiredness) but probably will tomorrow.

I've gone through the LR bible and am about 1/3 of the way through the LG Bible, taken 5 PTs:

29 --> 170 [LR:-5/-3 ; RC: -2 ; LG: -2]
30 --> 173 [LR: -5/-4 ; RC: -1 ; LG: -1]
31 --> 169 [LR: -4/-6 ; RC: -3 ; LG: -2]
32 --> 172 [LR: -?/-? ; RC: -8 ; LG: -0] (don't have breakdown of LR on me rn)
33 --> 175 [ LR: -1/-2 ; RC: -3 ; LG: -1]

Excited to be studying with all of you guys. <3 For reference, I'm following this study plan. Shooting for a 17X (preferably 175+) to offset my GPA!!!

Taking a PT tomorrow x_x we'll see how it goes....

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:04 am

Firework11 wrote:
holden147 wrote:What steps do I have to take to sign up for the Manhattan study group? I work this Sunday night but starting next week I will be available to attend all study group sessions.
Sign up for a free account of their website. Send me a PM with the e-mail address that you used to register. I will contact that kind folks over at Manhattan LSAT and they will send you an e-mail with the details.

Last Sunday, I think we had around 18 people show up and we went over reading comprehension. We also have hashed out some plans to form sub-groups to meet the needs of all of the members. I think it is a good opportunity and it works out well in order to have some live interaction with each other. If the group(s) stay consistent, from time to time we may have an instructor from MLSAT come and work with the group of problem areas and act as a resource for us. Needless to say, MLSAT is doing this for Karma, which works out well for all of us!

PM me if you have any other questions.

JG

Firework11

Bronze

Post by Firework11 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:12 pm

JG7773 wrote:
Firework11 wrote:
Sign up for a free account of their website. Send me a PM with the e-mail address that you used to register. I will contact that kind folks over at Manhattan LSAT and they will send you an e-mail with the details.

Last Sunday, I think we had around 18 people show up and we went over reading comprehension. We also have hashed out some plans to form sub-groups to meet the needs of all of the members. I think it is a good opportunity and it works out well in order to have some live interaction with each other. If the group(s) stay consistent, from time to time we may have an instructor from MLSAT come and work with the group of problem areas and act as a resource for us. Needless to say, MLSAT is doing this for Karma, which works out well for all of us!

PM me if you have any other questions.

JG
Thanks, I sent you a PM!

OperaFan

New

Post by OperaFan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:47 pm

You all are so friendly and helpful. I truly wish you all do well on the LSAT. :-)

I must admit, I feel behind in comparison, with classes, work and personal life consuming a vast majority of my time. I feel as though I either need better time management skills or to wake up earlier and get cracking.

Anyway, I will be joining you all and look forward to it. :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:13 pm

OperaFan wrote:You all are so friendly and helpful. I truly wish you all do well on the LSAT. :-)

I must admit, I feel behind in comparison, with classes, work and personal life consuming a vast majority of my time. I feel as though I either need better time management skills or to wake up earlier and get cracking.

Anyway, I will be joining you all and look forward to it. :-)
It takes some dedication.

thouse

New

Post by thouse » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Amen to that!!!

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Working now. Hitting some very challenging logic games and logical reasoning questions. Has logical reasoning gotten easier since the early days of the modern LSAT?

LSATBuddha

New

Post by LSATBuddha » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:46 pm

i feel like the answer choices have gotten clearer as far as 1 right and 4 wrong goes...but the stimulus has gotten a little bit more wordy and slightly more difficult to understand and focus on.

of course there is nothing to back this up...just how i feel

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 pm

I've gone through all of the powerscore stuff. What would you guys recommend next? Should I dive into the Atlas or another book that is recommended on TLS 1776 guide?

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Just got the Atlas RC book in the mail. I'll probably start that in a day or 2.
geverett wrote:I've gone through all of the powerscore stuff. What would you guys recommend next? Should I dive into the Atlas or another book that is recommended on TLS 1776 guide?
Are you comfortable with any of it? I'd say keep going with whatever reading you have if you're all set with powerscore techniques. I know with my first time through LGB I was okay with basic linear, but shaky with grouping. I re-did that chapter to make sure I understood it before moving on. Try a handful of random games or an LR section or 2 and see how you do.

Did the group get together this past Sunday?

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:37 pm

This game gave me a hard time: June 2005 Game 4.

chiach1

New

Post by chiach1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Hey guys, I have a quick question. For those of you using the LRB and employing LRB's "conclusion identification method" in finding the conclusion in main point questions, have u guys found this to take to much time? and are there any better/faster solutions to finding the conclusion in main point questions?

thanks in advance

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

candycat

New

Post by candycat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 am

Hi! I've been following this thread and so far it's been really good encouragement for me :) I'm taking the June 2011 LSAT, started studying around 2 weeks ago, aiming for a 173+ . Cold diagnostic timed (Kaplan free practice test) was 160, so I've got a lot of ground to cover x_x

My weakest section is LG right now. I'm moving through the LR bible nicely (almost 1/2 done) but LG is giving some trouble. Still re-doing Ch 2/3 problems to get a better grasp of linear games, hopefully will move onto grouping by the end of the week. My timing for games is still pretty atrocious -_-

Good luck to everyone! I'll be lurking around this forum a lot, since school+clubs+lsat means I've kissed my social life goodbye for this semester. Hopefully hard work will pay off :D

LSATBuddha

New

Post by LSATBuddha » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:58 am

candycat wrote:Hi! I've been following this thread and so far it's been really good encouragement for me :) I'm taking the June 2011 LSAT, started studying around 2 weeks ago, aiming for a 173+ . Cold diagnostic timed (Kaplan free practice test) was 160, so I've got a lot of ground to cover x_x

My weakest section is LG right now. I'm moving through the LR bible nicely (almost 1/2 done) but LG is giving some trouble. Still re-doing Ch 2/3 problems to get a better grasp of linear games, hopefully will move onto grouping by the end of the week. My timing for games is still pretty atrocious -_-

Good luck to everyone! I'll be lurking around this forum a lot, since school+clubs+lsat means I've kissed my social life goodbye for this semester. Hopefully hard work will pay off :D
candycat wrote:

Honestly, I think its good that your weakest section is LG. The consensus is that it is the easiest section to improve on, and I pretty much agree. The timing will come with repetition and just doing games, I guarantee that! You'll get your 173+!

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:49 am

Don't forget that there will be a group meeting tonight to cover the self-syllabus guide at 8 pm in the Study Group room. If you have any questions, let me know! I look forward to seeing many of you.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi all, have room for 1 more June test taker? I'm retaking after a dismal 158 back in October.

I'm hoping 4 months will suffice. I did testmasters the first time, but didn't take nearly enough PTS. I was just curious as to what publications everyone is using? Is buying everything detailed in Pithypikes thread enough?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Feel like I'm sucking at logic games lately. Has anyone tried Game 3 of October 1991?

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:53 pm

geverett wrote:Feel like I'm sucking at logic games lately. Has anyone tried Game 3 of October 1991?
That's the one with Hannah right? You're probably not sucking, it's just one of those oddball older LG games. The key to that one is keeping track of the numerical distribution and not making assumptions for where she can and cannot go / making sure all six cities are accounted for.

edit: The 1991 tests in general to me were just kinda weird - especially in the games.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Sadly, I am joining this thread as I have finally healed from my December LSAT hangover. I got a 161 which isn't bad but I want 4-5 more poitns for a chance at UCLA. I'm a little nervous though because I did really well on Logic Games, getting -2 on stupid mistakes, and it's my understanding logic games are people's best chance for improvment. I got a miserable -15 on reading comprehension. I sort of gave up on passage #4 becuase I was so frustrated with my understanding of 1 and 3. Also the girl behind me was reading out loud which was kind of distracting to me but I am not going to bitch about that because I think I was just trying to find a scapegoat. ANyways, I just ordered an older edition of the Powerscore RC bible for $11 as I am running low on options. I also heard atlas has a good one? I've read voyagers thread, taken a testmasters course, and have tried a bunch of different strategies but my RC score is still so variable, from -3/4 up to my worst ever -15 on the actual LSAT lol.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 pm

chiach1 wrote:Hey guys, I have a quick question. For those of you using the LRB and employing LRB's "conclusion identification method" in finding the conclusion in main point questions, have u guys found this to take to much time? and are there any better/faster solutions to finding the conclusion in main point questions?

thanks in advance

I will respond to this as I am actually just passing this chapter in the LRB. Truthfully, I have not used this strategy too often to find the conclusions. I find it to be too time-consuming and Main Point questions are some of the easier ones, in my opinion. After reading the argument, you have to ask yourself what is the point the author is trying to make then ask yourself how is he making this point. If you aren't sure if a sentence is a conclusion or a premise try to understand how it relates to the passage as a whole. Also look for subtle nuances in tone change. You know how sometimes in arguments they start with the critics claim ... blah blah blah.. then there's a However, <insert main point> followed by premise.

Don't know if this helps you or not but I think that practice is key and as you start to look at more and more arguments finding the conclusion will come quicker to you. I definetly don't rearrange the sentences with conclusion/premise indicators to see if it makes sense though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yassig

New

Post by Yassig » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey all, random question about what you thinks works best for you. I am just really delving into studying in the last few weeks or so and have focused on LG. Are you all studying LG, LR, and RC at the same time or are you plugging through one section at a time? I tried switching to LR today and it took awhile to switch gears, sadly enough. Was just curious what you were all doing to get the most out of your studying.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Good thought. I would be interested to hear some more people's thoughts on this. I have been diving into some more advanced numerical distribution games - some having 15 numerical distributions that are just kicking my ass. Makes me feel like I suck at logic games.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:33 pm

How feasible is this goal: Consistently finishing Logic Games in under 25 minutes with 100% accuracy.

Firework11

Bronze

Post by Firework11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Yassig wrote:Hey all, random question about what you thinks works best for you. I am just really delving into studying in the last few weeks or so and have focused on LG. Are you all studying LG, LR, and RC at the same time or are you plugging through one section at a time? I tried switching to LR today and it took awhile to switch gears, sadly enough. Was just curious what you were all doing to get the most out of your studying.
I started with LR bc that is not my strongest, and beacause, it is more tough to improve in than LG.
However, I have started to incorporate a little RC studying.

Hope my infor helps!
Best of luck to you :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”