June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
geverett

Bronze

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by geverett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm wanting to drill individual LG sections. Any suggestions so I don't waste what I will need for my full length PT runs?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

geverett wrote:I'm wanting to drill individual LG sections. Any suggestions so I don't waste what I will need for my full length PT runs?
I'm following the LSAT prep blog, so my PT runs are only 30+, so I ran drills for the sections from 1-29.

Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey everyone. I took the December LSAT and got a 159. I got into my target school, Louisville, with scholarship. Now I am going to take the June LSAT in hopes of bringing up my score and hopefully netting some more scholarship money. I have a fee waiver, so its free.

My worst section is LR, oddly enough. I just purchased the 2009 LR Bible. Any thoughts on what else I can do to improve the LR section?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Hey everyone. I took the December LSAT and got a 159. I got into my target school, Louisville, with scholarship. Now I am going to take the June LSAT in hopes of bringing up my score and hopefully netting some more scholarship money. I have a fee waiver, so its free.

My worst section is LR, oddly enough. I just purchased the 2009 LR Bible. Any thoughts on what else I can do to improve the LR section?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=127904

Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Awesome. Thanks a lot!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Would you guys say studying for RC is necessary? Currently I'm going through the bibles (LG and LR) and doing PTs here and there. RC is one of my stronger sections, but I still have some room to improve

Neidermeyer519

Bronze

Post by Neidermeyer519 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 pm

I've always heard that reading a little dense non fiction every day will help. Like wall street journal, or nat geo or something.

Excel

New

Post by Excel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 pm

getting real tired of getting 49/50 on one day then 15/25 on the lg section of the prep test the next day. what da hellll

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 pm

dr123 wrote:Would you guys say studying for RC is necessary? Currently I'm going through the bibles (LG and LR) and doing PTs here and there. RC is one of my stronger sections, but I still have some room to improve
If there is room for improvement how could studying be unnecessary?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Are any of you having a hard time motivating yourselves to study?

This is a retake for me (I got a 163 in February) and I find myself looking over the material and being like "I'VE DONE THIS ALREADY" and not really wanting to do anything. I have to, obviously, but I'm in the middle of a cross-country that is taking up lots of time and energy and I really just want to say "Fuck it" and postpone the studying until the move is over at the end of the month.

How bad would it be to start restudying at the beginning of April? My PT scores were pretty high going into the Feb test (probably a 170 or 171 average) and I'm not sure how much more studying I can do without burning out.

Is two month enough for a retaker? Or am I just being a lazy bum who doesn't want to read the LR Bible again?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:39 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Are any of you having a hard time motivating yourselves to study?

This is a retake for me (I got a 163 in February) and I find myself looking over the material and being like "I'VE DONE THIS ALREADY" and not really wanting to do anything. I have to, obviously, but I'm in the middle of a cross-country that is taking up lots of time and energy and I really just want to say "Fuck it" and postpone the studying until the move is over at the end of the month.

How bad would it be to start restudying at the beginning of April? My PT scores were pretty high going into the Feb test (probably a 170 or 171 average) and I'm not sure how much more studying I can do without burning out.

Is two month enough for a retaker? Or am I just being a lazy bum who doesn't want to read the LR Bible again?
No. Yes, sack up, woman. 2 months is not enough, since you will be still PTing in late May and if you are still not in your target range by June 1, you will be a nervous wreck going into the test. Things will go bad, and you'll end up taking Oct. Don't do it.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm

I'm having a hard time because any LSAT studying comes at the expense of my undergrad courses.

On one hand, I'm pretty much locked in the 3.4x range right now, barring a major collapse of course; so investing time in the LSAT is the wise move. But I would hate myself if I didn't do well this semester.

Anyways, I've done some studying and am feeling pretty confident about my ability to score a 167, the score I need to be competetive at my top choices, I just need to perform well on test day.

I'm going to stick with my original plan to take two PTs a week with review sprinkled in between.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

minnbills wrote:I'm having a hard time because any LSAT studying comes at the expense of my undergrad courses.

On one hand, I'm pretty much locked in the 3.4x range right now, barring a major collapse of course; so investing time in the LSAT is the wise move. But I would hate myself if I didn't do well this semester.

Anyways, I've done some studying and am feeling pretty confident about my ability to score a 167, the score I need to be competetive at my top choices, I just need to perform well on test day.

I'm going to stick with my original plan to take two PTs a week with review sprinkled in between.
I originally felt the same way until I became advent reader on this forum. Every point you can increase on your LSAT score will benefit you tremendously, whether thats being accepted into a t14 or receiving scholly money. I've basically put my classes on the back burner and committed most of my studying time to the LSAT. I'm stilling doing fine in my classes, I'm just doing the minimum amount of work to keep my grades at where they have been. I have a 3.52, even with a 4.0 this semester my GPA would only jump to about 3.58. IMO, go all out for the LSAT and don't worry about your grades as much as you did the past 3 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hunterrhoid

New

Post by Hunterrhoid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Seems like some people need a motivation boost. I'll share the one that got me going this morning:

83 days to the test. Currently PT-ing around 170-171 (up to 41). I don't need to score a 180 on my next PT. I just need to get that next point. If I can scrub out one mistake every 9 days between now and the test by spot-training on my weaknesses, then I can grab another 9 points. Easier said than done, true, but that's not a good reason to avoid thinking and acting this way.

This week's tackle: MISBUBBLING. I reliably lose one per test to this. The exact error that I'm making is that I am saying the letter of the last wrong answer I've eliminated (inaudibly to myself) and I end up swapping it for the one I am supposed to bubble! GDMMTTT!!!

I'm switching over to the 'bubble at the end' method. Tried a few practice sections today, and found plenty of time for it after the 5 minute warning, PLUS I get a quick review of some of my answers!

Next week: PARALLEL REASONING (I miss about one per test.) I'll take any tips you got.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Hunterrhoid wrote:
Next week: PARALLEL REASONING (I miss about one per test.) I'll take any tips you got.
If I feel like I have a reasonable amount of time I like to diagram the stimulus and make a mental comparison between it and the answer choices. Usually, at least 2 potential answers are blatantly wrong which gives you some time to digest the other three. If you have Kaplan Mastery look through the PR questions and find the method you like best

Hunterrhoid

New

Post by Hunterrhoid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:47 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote: If I feel like I have a reasonable amount of time I like to diagram the stimulus and make a mental comparison between it and the answer choices. Usually, at least 2 potential answers are blatantly wrong which gives you some time to digest the other three. If you have Kaplan Mastery look through the PR questions and find the method you like best
Thanks. I don't have Kaplan Mastery, but I see that Pithypike recommends. Maybe time for a purchase...

I thought I'd read through the LRB on this, but now that I am going through it today, I just remembered that I was reading it on a nightmare flight from Hawaii filled with sudden 7ft. drops and screaming kids. Didn't remember the attack strategy being this fleshed out.

Question for the pros (or noobs): Does verb tense need to match in PR? Ex.: Stim conclusion: 'TF, x will happen'; AC: 'TF, x did happen'

I get that the certainty levels are similar, but does the predictive element in the stim exclude ACs that don't predict?

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 pm

This might be one of the silliest questions I've seen in terms of reason for the one answer being right and the other being wrong. Would love someone to look at PT 32 S1 Q17

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hunterrhoid

New

Post by Hunterrhoid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 pm

geverett wrote:This might be one of the silliest questions I've seen in terms of reason for the one answer being right and the other being wrong. Would love someone to look at PT 32 S1 Q17
Ok, A is out because the actuaries are scrutinized more closely, and therefore less likely.
B is out because it weakens a different premise, the one that presumes that the embezzler worked for XYZ.
C is just probability. 8/2 means the con is 4 times more likely to be an accountant.
E is obviously out because it directly makes it harder for the actuaries to access the data the detective says is crucial.

This leaves D, which doesn't finger anyone in particular, and is therefore irrelevant to the detective's argument. It doesn't weaken it, so it is the right answer in a Weaken EXCEPT.

What were the two you were looking at?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 pm

geverett wrote:This might be one of the silliest questions I've seen in terms of reason for the one answer being right and the other being wrong. Would love someone to look at PT 32 S1 Q17
is that the embezzlement question?

edit: apparently yes, see the above post

iThwl

New

Post by iThwl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 am

Last edited by iThwl on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hunterrhoid

New

Post by Hunterrhoid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 am

Ooh! I know this one! I've been studying PR all day, and I just took 40 this weekend.

*puts on glasses*

E contains as a premise, "And it is possible to make a machine that does both." This isn't the conclusion. This is a premise. The conclusion is in the next sentence, where E states that someday it will happen. The conclusion in the stimulus is flawed in that it leaps unjustifiably to the conclusion that something is possible simply because two pieces are possible. The conclusion in E states that because it is possible, it will happen; it becomes a prediction.

The level of certainty doesn't match, and what they are talking about doesn't match. The stim is a statement that something is possible, while E is a prediction that something will happen.

Get familiar with certainty in PR. It is the easiest way to discard wrong ACs. Certainty is indicated by controlling modifiers like 'should', 'must', 'will', 'might', etc.

LRB is a good resource for this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iThwl

New

Post by iThwl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:20 am

Last edited by iThwl on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:21 am

Hunterrhoid wrote:Ooh! I know this one! I've been studying PR all day, and I just took 40 this weekend.

*puts on glasses*

E contains as a premise, "And it is possible to make a machine that does both." This isn't the conclusion. This is a premise. The conclusion is in the next sentence, where E states that someday it will happen. The conclusion in the stimulus is flawed in that it leaps unjustifiably to the conclusion that something is possible simply because two pieces are possible. The conclusion in E states that because it is possible, it will happen; it becomes a prediction.

The level of certainty doesn't match, and what they are talking about doesn't match. The stim is a statement that something is possible, while E is a prediction that something will happen.

Get familiar with certainty in PR. It is the easiest way to discard wrong ACs. Certainty is indicated by controlling modifiers like 'should', 'must', 'will', 'might', etc.

LRB is a good resource for this.
Hunterrhoid, what have you been doing to study PR specifically? I'm currently getting -2 on LR, and one of those is always a PR or PF question and it's DRIVING ME CRAZAY. me want copy you. thanks!

Excel

New

Post by Excel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 am

160 untimed on test 34. -9 on section logical reasoning, -5 on logic games :x the past full test i took was a month ago and a 173, so this is a significant drop. out of the 9 i missed in section 1, 5 were my 2nd answer to the question :roll:

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 am

Excel wrote:160 untimed on test 34. -9 on section logical reasoning, -5 on logic games :x the past full test i took was a month ago and a 173, so this is a significant drop. out of the 9 i missed in section 1, 5 were my 2nd answer to the question :roll:
I know how you feel! Last PT,of all the ones I got wrong in both LRs in all but two I had narrowed it down to two and picked the wrong one :| But don't be discouraged by the drop. The fact that you've gotten a 173 shows you are perfectly capable of that level! I have yet to even get close to that score. Just keep on truckin and you will be fine :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”