June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
99.9luft

Silver

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:14 pm

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote: Ahh wish I could - I have all of pt 28 to review, the basic lin chapter of the bible to reread, and then twelve games to do.
You're reading the bible 3 days before Passover?!?!
you just reminded me another reason I like the MLSAT LR guide over the "bible" - my inner atheist does not get a mental rash when someone recommends the former as the ultimate manual on salvation (170+). :P

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:games would be my Achilles heel. :?
Trying to reinforce confidence: my first few PTs I would sometimes go -15 to -20 LG, literally. I was a freak with pithypike's LG method and generally do pretty well now in LG.
Eichörnchen wrote: Also, told my boyfriend (Love you but) GTFO
Haha maybe I should do the same. My SO is taking the GRE next month and just doesn't need to be a freak studier like me - it is just extremely natural for her. So she doesn't quite get why I put so much time into it. But she does support the law school dream so that's nice. Oh, and the friends, lost those months ago :D Told them I would be on social sabbatical till at least June, maybe October

joke of the day: good friend of mine who was planning on going into law told me he will no longer be attending law school, per his lawyer dad's advice. Dad says no one can get hired these days. Come to find out, dad went to St. Mary's :(

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Eichörnchen wrote: told my boyfriend (Love you but) GTFO until I'm getting 170s consistently.
Same thing i told my gf before going into self-imposed exile. Speaking of which - PT 54 today. Good luck to all!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 pm

D
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 pm

D
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:43 pm

jim-green wrote:
99.9luft wrote: you just reminded me another reason I like the MLSAT LR guide over the "bible" - my inner atheist does not get a mental rash when someone recommends the former as the ultimate manual on salvation (170+). :P
Haha! And i hope no one was offended by my lame attempt at a joke earlier. It was just a silly joke.
I laughed. No worries and l'chaim!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Haha is it bad that I'm extremely uncertain as to what Passover even is?

Anywhoo, yea Florida it might be the way to go, but it depends. It's just tough cause we pretty much were living together (when he doesn't go home for 6 months I think that's kind of living together haha). He's taking the GRE too, that's kinda funny :). But luckily for me he's been here through all the years of deciding I wanted to go to law school, and then all the research etc etc. So I am lucky in that he knows the rankings and actually knows exactly what it means when I get a 165, 171 or whatever. So it's tough for me to say that I need to be in isolation and "see ya in June", but then again I realize it's just a few months out of our 5 and a half years together, so it's not too big a deal. I just really, really hope I can get good at games. I think the biggest part of me stressing is that I'm afraid I don't have enough time left to get good at them. I soo wish I started PPike's game technique 5 months ago. What was I thinking?? If I did as well on games as I do on the other sections, I'd be getting 174s.

Jim, glad the RC advice helped. Hope we all do well on our upcoming PT! Oh, and yea I don't think you can kick 'em out if you both own the place :wink:

Yassig

New

Post by Yassig » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Strange wrote:Would like to participate in the group but I still havent gotten a response to my PM :(

Bout to do PT46..... be back later
Strange, PM Manhattan LSAT Noah if you haven't had a response from JG and he'll set you up.

Good luck today everyone - heading to the library for 3 hours of studying/drilling. Woohoo, I love weekends...

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:02 pm

D
Last edited by jim-green on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Yassig wrote:Eich, count me in on the freakout mode too. Sadly, I can't just hole up and study because I have these 2 young boys that if I try that will destroy my house, themselves, the world... And they're not quite old enough to fend for themselves. Darn the luck. I see lots of late nights and caffeine in my future in the next few weeks. Yay for no social life/caffeine induced hazes!
Haha I don't know how you do it! Wasn't it you that in study group someone's like, "Hey, what's that sound?" Justin: "Uhh, yea I think one of your children is beating the wall with the other child."

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:17 pm

jim-green wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Haha is it bad that I'm extremely uncertain as to what Passover even is? If I did as well on games as I do on the other sections, I'd be getting 174s.
Have you tried an hr or two of tutoring? MLSAT and PS both do it. It will help you for games. Probably don't need more than an hr.
PS. I preferred the MLSAT tutor I tried.
PPS. I told my boss I'd need to take Monday off to celebrate the liberation of my people from Egypt. He just said, "Nice try." (I'm Asian).
Hahaha...ok so from that description I assume it's a Jewish holiday. (I thought is was a catholic day or something :oops: Wow. You wouldn't be able to tell that my family took me to church every week for many years...) And I haven't tried tutoring. Maybe that's a good idea, although when I do games, I can get all the questions correct if I have like 12 minutes per game. I sort of feel like it's more speed that is my issue than getting the concepts (although there are still games sometimes where I have no clue how to approach it). I don't know, maybe I'm at the point where it's on me to just do them and do them and do them until I get inferences really quickly. Although I recently went over some games with Gev and just seeing his approach did give me a couple tips that I adopted and really like (finishing hypos that are almost done and the way he set up in&out grouping games- thanks Gev :) ). So I can see how it would be helpful to go through games with someone else. I guess I will forge ahead with my 10 day plan of 12 games/day and rereading the LGB and see how it goes.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:31 pm

I live in a hipster neighborhood, and there is a drummer practicing next door. That puts my start time on hold until he is finished.

Yassig

New

Post by Yassig » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Yassig wrote:Eich, count me in on the freakout mode too. Sadly, I can't just hole up and study because I have these 2 young boys that if I try that will destroy my house, themselves, the world... And they're not quite old enough to fend for themselves. Darn the luck. I see lots of late nights and caffeine in my future in the next few weeks. Yay for no social life/caffeine induced hazes!
Haha I don't know how you do it! Wasn't it you that in study group someone's like, "Hey, what's that sound?" Justin: "Uhh, yea I think one of your children is beating the wall with the other child."
Er, yes, that would be my children. Hence why I can't leave them unattended for too long - it only spells disaster.

Can someone PLEASE make LR click for me? I swear that if this became my friend I could be in cruise control right now. Hello long nights with the MLSAT LR book!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yassig

New

Post by Yassig » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Er, yes, that would be my children. Hence why I can't leave them unattended for too long - it only spells disaster.

Can someone PLEASE make LR click for me? I swear that if this became my friend I could be in cruise control right now. Hello long nights with the MLSAT LR book!

And gev, ugh. I hate it when stuff like that happens. Good luck starting!
Last edited by Yassig on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:13 pm

I pmed Noah already and didnt receive a response....

So I finished PT46,

RC: -4 (ouch)
LR1: -1
LR2: -4
LG: -2

Raw: 88, Scaled 168
The last game on the LG SEEMS brutal, but amazingly, I only got one wrong. Might be because the first three games were a total breeze and I had like 15 minutes to finish the last one. If it wasnt for all that time, I would have struggled on the LG section. Shows how important it is to finish the easy ones quickly in case a harder one turns up. But I've done -1, -2, and -3 on my past three PT's in the past 2 weeks, so I'm happy that my drilling seems to be paying off.

The RC score is disappointing, its a section I should be going -0 or -1. I was a little distracted, I'm at a Starbucks so I had two old ladies chatting about their kids right next to me so maybe that threw me off. Or maybe the RC was just harder, who knows. But a better score on this would have gotten me to my target.

This is the best I've done on the LR's so far.. very pleased.

I'm following Pithys guide by the way, and my target is 170. This is my log so far:

Diag PT7: 159
PT45: 169
PT55: 167
PT46: 168

Doing another PT tomorrow, will post results

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:34 pm

PT 51 go!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 pm

geverett wrote:PT 51 go!
Good luck!! Ill be doing it tomorrow morning, hopefully we do well!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:40 pm

If you guys have the PS LSAT Deconstructed version of PT51, definitely read the comments after doing the PT. They're great.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:47 pm

soj wrote:If you guys have the PS LSAT Deconstructed version of PT51, definitely read the comments after doing the PT. They're great.
Dang I don't have that. In fact, I don't know what that is :) care to enlighten me?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:52 pm

PT43-45: http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-2004-L ... 0972129642

PT51: http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-D ... _b_title_1

The book gives you the PT and then analyzes each question the same way PS analyzes each practice question in the bibles.

And if you haven't bought the PS LG Bible Workbook (separate from the Bible), I highly recommend it. Lots of good practice from little steps (diagramming, rule representation) to full games and even a full section (though I didn't touch the section because I knew I was going to encounter it eventually through PTs).

The PS methods for LG are, as you know, the gold standard. But I personally made a couple adaptations. 1. For IN/OUT and distribution/matching games of unknown distribution, I use the Manhattan/Ace method. 2. For linear and pure seq games, to indicate "F is interviewed before G," I use F-G, not F>G.
Last edited by soj on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Ooh lala I actually haven't gotten PTs 43-45 yet. Maybe I'll invest in these. Do you generally find them helpful?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Ooh lala I actually haven't gotten PTs 43-45 yet. Maybe I'll invest in these. Do you generally find them helpful?
Definitely. It might be slightly less useful for you because you're already strong in RC and LR, and comments for LG aren't always that helpful because if you know the answer, you can usually figure out the inferences and diagrams you should have made to arrive at that answer.

I did better than usual in RC in PT51 so there weren't many to read in RC, but the LR explanations were great. I haven't used the 43-45 book yet.

OhOkay

New

Post by OhOkay » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Phew, just finished PT 41, exp 27:2 (LG). Games went terribly. The third game of Pt 41 was a binary group one, all conditional reasoning, and I SUCK at that. Just plain suck, and have no strategy for it, other than eventually doing a bunch of hypotheticals (any tips??). I spent something like 14 minutes on it, and ended up with 4 mins, 15 sec left for the last game, a mapping one. That was pretty much disaster, haha.

Over all score was fine, but I'm still worried that there is no consistency in my per section performances, and I'm not improving overall:
LR1: -1, LG(E): 0 (fluke, i ran out of time and guessed on the last q), LG: -5, LR2: -1, RC: -1. Overall -8, scaled 174.

I feel like I'm consistently getting slower at completing sections. Is anyone else having trouble concentrating when reading? Often I just end up rereading stimuli in LR over and over before I'm actually READING (i.e. comprehending) the words.

Will do PT 51 tomorrow morning! Also planning on re-doing 4 LG tonight from PTs 1-20.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:10 pm

PT 54

-10/170

Sorry guys, won't do PT 51 tom with you. I did moderately well on that one last year. I wanna tackle PT 55 next (missed 17 on it previously).

This is my study log btw: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140150

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:29 pm

soj wrote:PT43-45: http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-2004-L ... 0972129642

PT51: http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-D ... _b_title_1

The book gives you the PT and then analyzes each question the same way PS analyzes each practice question in the bibles.

And if you haven't bought the PS LG Bible Workbook (separate from the Bible), I highly recommend it. Lots of good practice from little steps (diagramming, rule representation) to full games and even a full section (though I didn't touch the section because I knew I was going to encounter it eventually through PTs).

The PS methods for LG are, as you know, the gold standard. But I personally made a couple adaptations. 1. For IN/OUT and distribution/matching games of unknown distribution, I use the Manhattan/Ace method. 2. For linear and pure seq games, to indicate "F is interviewed before G," I use F-G, not F>G.
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll get the PS workbook. I wasn't totally sure what it was, and I kind of forgot about it. But at this point whatever help I can get with games is very welcome!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”