June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
OhOkay

New

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by OhOkay » Sun May 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for the advice, Eich :) It is super slow-going typing up explanations, but the pay-off will hopefully be more than worth it.

Congrats soj!! I sort of wasted PT 53... started it when I was way too tired, ended up ditching it mid-way, and finished it piecemeal over the course of three sittings, resulting in my lowest PT score ever. Major props to your -0 on RC and LR2! Those creamed me completely (-4 and -3!!). I'm about to review the PT right now and see what went wrong.
MarineLaw wrote:I've found a moderate running routine to aid in concentration and clarity. I don't know if this holds for anyone else, but it makes me wonder about what physiological stuff is going on between these two to create a noticeable difference.
Good for you! I was hoping for the same, but running in the mornings (only time I can) just made me sleepy afterwards, and screwed up my studying. I should have remembered this from my hyper-running/sports days, but I guess I figured a much more toned down version of my old routine would not make me so tired. Ah well.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sun May 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Strange wrote:Another 168, this time on PT48. Totally felt fatigued and lost focus on the last section, which was LR, so I need to work on that. Otherwise, I felt good for the most part, and got -10 but another tough curve landed me with the same PT average I've had for the past month. The positive out of this is that I scored a -2 on the RC, which fits into the average score I've gotten on the timed RC's for the older sections I've been doing.
Correct that, mismarked one of my answers wrong so it's a 169 :D Well it took me three weeks to get this one point bump, hopefully another three weeks will get me to my goal of 170

EDIT: Also got a -0 on the RC exp (PT24). I'm thinking my RC improvement is very real now, just gotta tighten up LR

For those of you who did PT48, how did you attack the final question for game 4? That tripped me up and was my only miss

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun May 15, 2011 6:59 pm

MarineLaw wrote:I noticed an interesting correlation between my PT scores and exercise routine.

If I lift weights hard enough to get substantially sore, I totally feel grogged out and my concentration and reading comprehension sucks the next day (even after a great night's sleep). However, I've found a moderate running routine to aid in concentration and clarity. I don't know if this holds for anyone else, but it makes me wonder about what physiological stuff is going on between these two to create a noticeable difference.
I can't agree more.

Going hard leaves me braindead. Same with getting too much sleep (10 hours). However, running and doing 10-15 reps instead of maxing out, as well as swimming and yoga have helped me tremendously to overcome the psychological pressure.

We've got 21 days, and I'm not even nervous. Unlike the previous two times i've taken the LSAT, this time regular exercise is what boosts my spirit (aside from those 172s and 173s of course :))

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sun May 15, 2011 7:00 pm

You guys mean exercising the day before or the day of PTing/taking the actual test?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun May 15, 2011 7:05 pm

MarineLaw wrote:I noticed an interesting correlation between my PT scores and exercise routine.

If I lift weights hard enough to get substantially sore, I totally feel grogged out and my concentration and reading comprehension sucks the next day (even after a great night's sleep). However, I've found a moderate running routine to aid in concentration and clarity. I don't know if this holds for anyone else, but it makes me wonder about what physiological stuff is going on between these two to create a noticeable difference.
Well this is 100% true. I can maybe contribute a few factoids about what's going on there to make you notice a difference -
Moderate exercise causes neurogenesis. The new neurons that are created during a moderate workout will survive for 4 weeks, unless you challenge your brain, in which case the neurons are wired to perform whatever challenging task you've taken on (and will live as long as you use 'em just like any other neuron). Another thing that happens is that when you exercise, your brain gets a protective effect over the hippocampus, which is where your short term memory is seated and also where short-term stored memories are transferred into long-term memories. This little "brain boost" in your memory center lasts up to 3 days after the exercise has been performed.

Yea, I read science books for fun and I remember random factoids :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun May 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Strange wrote:You guys mean exercising the day before or the day of PTing/taking the actual test?
I was speaking of the day before. I think exercising the morning of the PT will make me tired. Although, in the mornings, I do stretch briefly (since the whole rolling out of bed, eating and PTing right after thing didn't seem to work for me).

You have to have a strong back/neck muscles to sit in a 3+ hour nerve-wreck, so I recommend doing those FYI.

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Sun May 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:

Well this is 100% true. I can maybe contribute a few factoids about what's going on there to make you notice a difference -
Moderate exercise causes neurogenesis. The new neurons that are created during a moderate workout will survive for 4 weeks, unless you challenge your brain, in which case the neurons are wired to perform whatever challenging task you've taken on (and will live as long as you use 'em just like any other neuron). Another thing that happens is that when you exercise, your brain gets a protective effect over the hippocampus, which is where your short term memory is seated and also where short-term stored memories are transferred into long-term memories. This little "brain boost" in your memory center lasts up to 3 days after the exercise has been performed.

oh damn that smells like one of those RC passages or really long LR stimulus. let's see, where is the necessary assumption... haha

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun May 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:

hey Eich, thanks, that was excellent on 2 levels because it was: a) enlightening b) reminded me of RC (I was anticipating a new paragraph with 'But some critics say...')

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun May 15, 2011 7:12 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

hey Eich, thanks, that was excellent on 2 levels because it was: a) enlightening b) reminded me of RC (I was anticipating a new paragraph with 'But some critics say...')
Haha, you are welcome. I am a fount of random (mostly useless) knowledge. And I sometimes feel like I talk like the LSAT... :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OhOkay

New

Post by OhOkay » Sun May 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Eichörnchen wrote: Well this is 100% true. I can maybe contribute a few factoids about what's going on there to make you notice a difference -
Ok wow. :shock: This just convinced me to try to make time to run at night (and indoors, which i hate, since it's not safe after dark where I live). Haha, thanks Eich.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun May 15, 2011 7:37 pm

jim-green wrote:How did u find game 2? did u have to make 4 diagrams?
I diagrammed rule 1 as P-M-L.
I diagrammed rule 2 like this:

Code: Select all

G-L
 \
  J
or

Code: Select all

J
 \
L-G
(edit: hmm, the spacing doesn't really work even in code mode. I think you get what I mean, though.)

I just had to remember that all sketches were going to obey one of these. And same with rule 3.

The rest of my diagramming was local (Q8, Q9), but in retrospect I didn't really need it any local diagrams either. For 11, I drew out hypotheticals for every AC until I managed to come up with one (B) or encountered a contradiction (A, C, D, E).

MarineLaw

New

Post by MarineLaw » Sun May 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:

Wow, awesome factoids! And yes, braindead after a really tough workout is totally spot on. It sucks because you're done for both the rest of that day and the day after.

Also, definitely with you on the day before. Working out and then taking a PT is just a mental smoking. A decent run and a PT the next day seems to be the ticket. Don't notice a huge change in scores (still in mid 160s) but I definitely notice a speed increase and better focus.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun May 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Strange wrote:Another 168, this time on PT48. Totally felt fatigued and lost focus on the last section, which was LR, so I need to work on that. Otherwise, I felt good for the most part, and got -10 but another tough curve landed me with the same PT average I've had for the past month. The positive out of this is that I scored a -2 on the RC, which fits into the average score I've gotten on the timed RC's for the older sections I've been doing.

If you are worried about fatigue/ endurance be prepared to do 3 sections of LR back to back to back. When I took the October 10 exam I had LR RC RC- and the first RC was experimental. While it sucked- the only thing that kept me from cancelling on the spot ( and i ended up scoring within my pt average) was the fact that I used to do back to back RC sections to work on endurance. If its always section 4 that hurts you make sure to be doing 3 sections then take a break and then do 2 sections ( so you get a 5 section test). I know that you have been doing pts for a while, but I havent been lurking in this thread for a while, so I havent follwed all of your progresses carefully. ( BTW Strange im not talking to you in general, but used your quote for other posters/ lurkers who have this issue).

Remember on the actual test day you will either get 3 LR sections out of the 5 sections you take
or 2 LG sections out of 5 or 2 RC sections- and they can be in whatever order/ sequence LSAC wants- so make sure you can do 3 LR sections back to back to back, or 2 LG sections back to back or 2 RC sections back to back. While it may not work out that way on game day- it could. LR and RC are super reading heavy, while LG you can rest your eyes for abit- as you are working with pencil more. IF that is a problem with you- its something you may want to fine tune.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sun May 15, 2011 9:18 pm

northwood wrote:

If you are worried about fatigue/ endurance be prepared to do 3 sections of LR back to back to back. When I took the October 10 exam I had LR RC RC- and the first RC was experimental. While it sucked- the only thing that kept me from cancelling on the spot ( and i ended up scoring within my pt average) was the fact that I used to do back to back RC sections to work on endurance. If its always section 4 that hurts you make sure to be doing 3 sections then take a break and then do 2 sections ( so you get a 5 section test). I know that you have been doing pts for a while, but I havent been lurking in this thread for a while, so I havent follwed all of your progresses carefully. ( BTW Strange im not talking to you in general, but used your quote for other posters/ lurkers who have this issue).

Remember on the actual test day you will either get 3 LR sections out of the 5 sections you take
or 2 LG sections out of 5 or 2 RC sections- and they can be in whatever order/ sequence LSAC wants- so make sure you can do 3 LR sections back to back to back, or 2 LG sections back to back or 2 RC sections back to back. While it may not work out that way on game day- it could. LR and RC are super reading heavy, while LG you can rest your eyes for abit- as you are working with pencil more. IF that is a problem with you- its something you may want to fine tune.
Thanks for the tips! This is the 8th PT I've done since the beginning of April (have done 9 overall including diagnostic), order for me was RC (exp), LR, LG, RC, LR. RC and LR are equally taxing on my brain so I thought this was an order I might have trouble with toward the end. The RC section (after the break) wasn't a big deal but I definitely started to lose it in the LR section - two questions at the end I should have gotten but just had trouble focusing with little time left. Going to use your suggestion on my future PT's, stick LG near the front and push the LR's to the back

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun May 15, 2011 9:33 pm

OhOkay wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote: Well this is 100% true. I can maybe contribute a few factoids about what's going on there to make you notice a difference -
Ok wow. :shock: This just convinced me to try to make time to run at night (and indoors, which i hate, since it's not safe after dark where I live). Haha, thanks Eich.
Haha I'm glad to inspire your running. Keep it safe in your sketchy 'hood and get those neurons growing :wink:

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun May 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Thought I was going to hit my first 180 today, instead, this happened.
PT 48
LR: -1
LG: -0
RC: -1
98/101, -3 total

WHAT?! This is my highest score yet, but I honestly thought that a -3 would be a 179 or a 180. What the hell, curves.
Last edited by coldshoulder on Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Thought I was going to hit my first 180 today, instead, this happened.
LG: -0
RC: -1
98/101, -3 total

WHAT?! This is my highest score yet, but I honestly thought that a -3 would be a 179 or a 180. What the hell, curves.
wat?? so a 180 was 101 raw score? or was there no 179 on this test

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun May 15, 2011 9:46 pm

There was no 179. It was 101 or 100 for a 180, only a -1 being possible.
Then a -2 was a 178, and a -3 was a 177.
PT 48 btw.

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Sun May 15, 2011 9:50 pm

coldshoulder wrote:There was no 179. It was 101 or 100 for a 180, only a -1 being possible.
PT 48 btw.
f me i'm taking that one this week. nooooooOo

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun May 15, 2011 9:51 pm

theaether wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:There was no 179. It was 101 or 100 for a 180, only a -1 being possible.
PT 48 btw.
Haha, you better not miss any then.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sun May 15, 2011 10:01 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
theaether wrote:
PT 48 btw.
I took that one today, how'd you attack the last question on Game 4?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sun May 15, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm happy I got the tough curves out of the way - PT51.5 and PT48 scored a 90 and 92 on respectively (missed -10 and -9) and still didn't get the 170 :( Hopefully the curves are more forgiving when I take 49 and 50 next weekend.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun May 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Strange wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:
theaether wrote:
PT 48 btw.
I took that one today, how'd you attack the last question on Game 4?
Pay close attention to the G before H rule as well as the P and rock band at 10 rules. Should become more apparent if you pay special attention to those.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 pm

coldshoulder wrote: Pay close attention to the G before H rule as well as the P and rock band at 10 rules. Should become more apparent if you pay special attention to those.
Got it now, think I must have just choked on that question. Only one I got wrong. D'oh!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Moderate exercise causes neurogenesis. The new neurons that are created during a moderate workout will survive for 4 weeks, unless you challenge your brain, in which case the neurons are wired to perform whatever challenging task you've taken on (and will live as long as you use 'em just like any other neuron). Another thing that happens is that when you exercise, your brain gets a protective effect over the hippocampus, which is where your short term memory is seated and also where short-term stored memories are transferred into long-term memories. This little "brain boost" in your memory center lasts up to 3 days after the exercise has been performed.
Is this the science passage from PT42? :-) I remember they used canaries as this experiment becuase of their long life spans.
Will walking help? I tried running for the first time in my life last year, and my feet, hips hurt a lot. I had 3-year old sneakers. So I threw them away and bought those Vibram 5-fingers (kinda like barefoot running). Didn't help. This year i have new sneakers, but my feet hurt again, so am thinking of just going for walks.
Last edited by jim-green on Mon May 16, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”