June 2011 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Rahsaan

New

Re: June 2011 Study Group

Post by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:58 am

JG7773 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
geverett wrote:Awesome. What would you say to assigning a practice test a week in March, and spending the sunday night class time going over the test all the way through til' the June exam?
i support this message.
I certainly don't object to this. If we can get enough people interested in it, I will organize it.
March is so soon! more power to ya. i still have a couple weeks of prep to finish. i wish i could join.

if yall did do this, remember that we can use that room whenever during the week. it is free most of the time.

Yassig

New

Post by Yassig » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 am

geverett wrote:Once again, can anyone do the June 2010 2nd and 4th logic games?
Have you checked Manhattan's forum for their explanations to see if that helped? Haven't attempted that one yet so I don't think that I could explain it. Otherwise those might be good ones to discuss a Sunday night in the group (with a heads up so that those of us that haven't yet can attack it).

Ugh, I feel like such a slacker when I read that someone has gone through the Bibles three times and I'm still working on the first attempt. Am I really that far behind? ...And after looking at the calendar, that would be a yes.

And to whomever said assigning PT's, I'm in. Bring on the pain!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:07 am

Welp, took 4 sections timed (with breaks in between, so not legit really) for June 94 (PT 11): -8 LG, -4/-7 LR, and -0 RC for an 82 raw and 164 scaled. Hopeful knowing games will get better, but frustrated that my LR is pitiful. Any suggestions from people seeing large gains in LR? I almost always am -0 up to around question 12-14 and then I drop big time.

greyarea

New

Post by greyarea » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:38 am

Well count me in boys and girls. I'm gonna also give the LSAT one more go in June. Failed miserably a couple years ago at getting the score I wanted, so I just stayed put in my semi-decent paying job. Got the itch again to play some logic games! :twisted: This time I'm going to follow pithy pike's method to the T, and see what happens. Good luck to all.

cardsfan04

New

Post by cardsfan04 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:43 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Welp, took 4 sections timed (with breaks in between, so not legit really) for June 94 (PT 11): -8 LG, -4/-7 LR, and -0 RC for an 82 raw and 164 scaled. Hopeful knowing games will get better, but frustrated that my LR is pitiful. Any suggestions from people seeing large gains in LR? I almost always am -0 up to around question 12-14 and then I drop big time.
Somebody suggested the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible to me on here and said everybody here swears by it. That should probably help.

I also read through a few of the 180 guides on here and somebody suggested working toward getting 10 questions right in 10 minutes, than 15 in 15, 20 in 20, etc. If you are doing really well on the first 12-14, if you can do those in 12-14 minutes, that would give you more time to think about the ones at the end.

I'm only a month or so into studying myself, so somebody else might be able to say something more authoritative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SoPro

Bronze

Post by SoPro » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Kaplan is offering a free practice LSAT tomorrow (2/27) on my campus under simulated conditions. After that diagnostic, I'll know where I stand and then adhere to PithyPike's study plan accordingly.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 pm

cardsfan04 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Welp, took 4 sections timed (with breaks in between, so not legit really) for June 94 (PT 11): -8 LG, -4/-7 LR, and -0 RC for an 82 raw and 164 scaled. Hopeful knowing games will get better, but frustrated that my LR is pitiful. Any suggestions from people seeing large gains in LR? I almost always am -0 up to around question 12-14 and then I drop big time.
Somebody suggested the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible to me on here and said everybody here swears by it. That should probably help.

I also read through a few of the 180 guides on here and somebody suggested working toward getting 10 questions right in 10 minutes, than 15 in 15, 20 in 20, etc. If you are doing really well on the first 12-14, if you can do those in 12-14 minutes, that would give you more time to think about the ones at the end.

I'm only a month or so into studying myself, so somebody else might be able to say something more authoritative.
Good points Cardsfan thanks! I've made my way through almost all the LRB and made it a point to pace myself 10 for 10, but still having trouble. I'm thinking that the LRB isn't sinking in - seems like so much in first memorizing the strategies for each question type, recognizing it on a timed section, and then applying those strategies successfully. Some have suggested to make notecards and outlines for the LRB to reinforce the strategy, and I think I may just try it. A useful link can be found here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140092

I'm also about a month in and very excited for what's to come. What kind of study schedule are you on now?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:04 pm

cardsfan04 wrote:

+1 to all of this. I went through the LR bible and went from PTs averaging -3/-5 to -1/-3 scores. Not at 'perfect' yet, but I think it's a good sign (:

Also, apparently questions 16-20ish are the hardest, so a lot of people recommend going 1-15 in 15 minutes, then skipping to the end (the last 4 questions are easier) and going backwards. That way you hit the hardest questions last, and you're not missing the easy last 4 because you're burnt out from the hard ones.

Try it on a PT/section drill, see if it helps you (:

LawQ5

New

Post by LawQ5 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
LawQ5 wrote:I just finished doing some studying and figured I'd check in on this thread. Man, I feel like I'm taking forever to go through the LG bible. I guess some people read it like 3 times, but I think I'm basically memorizing it with how carefully I'm reading it and reviewing it/doing flashcards to remember it all. How long did it take you guys to get through it? I just got to chapter 7 "The Forgotten Few," so hopefully I will be done with it soon.

what is there to memorize in the lg bible//????? i feel once through is sufficient.am i missing something? it took me like 1 week to get through it. Are you following a set schedule, or do you just study whenever you have time during the week? What kinda drills do you do after each chapter?
I guess I'm sort of loosely following Lsatblog's 4 month schedule, but I've modified it to include some advice I've read on here from some top scorers in the 160+ thread (like TLS1776, ConsideringLawSchool, etc). I'm writing condensed notes on the specific game types (in my own words) that I can come back to later to review quickly before timed sections. I hear this can be very helpful down the line. I think this is what is taking up most of my time. I do a little review of previous things learned (which I wrote down on little flashcards for convenience so I can carry them around with me later) before I move on in my reading also. I don't think there is much to memorize, per say, aside from a few categories that they recommend you should memorize. It's not my intent to memorize the LG bible verbatim or anything. It's just my weakest section (and the one you can most improve) so I'm going through it carefully. I wish I could go through it in a week and get it all :) I'm not planning on doing full sections/timed PTs until mid March, and then I'm going balls out with them. My initial cold diagnostic was 156 and I'm shooting for 170+ so I have a ways to go.

I enjoy doing the actual questions much more than reading about them, so I'm looking forward to "phase two" in a few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:35 pm

PSA: 99 days until the June test.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:03 pm

99.9luft wrote:PSA: 99 days until the June test.
it's on my calendar :shock: And I'm supposed
to do my first PT since my diagnostic so hopefully that goes well...

Yassig

New

Post by Yassig » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:31 pm

This statement almost made me want to cry. :shock:
Eichörnchen wrote:
Good luck! I'm taking my first PT since my diagnostic in about a week. Hopefully we'll both see major improvement!

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:26 pm

I also am joining yall on this endeavor for June. I have started working my way through the bibles, and LG seems to be going a lot better (most the time -0, of course every now and then I have an off game), and RC I have seen a little improvement, but I am just starting the Atlas RC book since it has gotten some good reviews on here. My question is if anyone has some advice on how to apply what is going on in the LR bible effectively so it sticks a lot better, and I don't just go back to relying on my old habits that aren't very good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Firework11

Bronze

Post by Firework11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:56 am

My Princeton Review course starts next Sat.!

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Don't forget the study group tonight at 8pm EST. A teacher from Manhattan LSAT should be going over LR: Flaw questions. Even if you're really good at flaw types, show up anyway so that we can try to organize a PT schedule of some sort.

Feb came and went pretty quickly and we're in the bear months of prep. It's a good time to get a routine going.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Tag

alexb

Bronze

Post by alexb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:46 am

Retaker here. Got some stuff to finish by mid-week, but then back to the LSAT prep. Let's do it! 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eaglemuncher

Bronze

Post by eaglemuncher » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey guys, due to my terrible cycle, I have decided to retake in June and possibly reapply next fall depending on my score as well as what happens with my waitlists. If I get 170 I am def going to reapply, am aiming for 175+ though.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 pm

For anyone that has recently began studying for June, I encourage you to check this strategy out: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=36512

SOS' timed/untimed strategy definitely save a lot of material and has been helping me out a lot thus far. Good luck

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:For anyone that has recently began studying for June, I encourage you to check this strategy out: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=36512

SOS' timed/untimed strategy definitely save a lot of material and has been helping me out a lot thus far. Good luck
it's an interesting strategy, worth trying once or twice. Personally, don't know if i have the patience to go over the test the 2nd time. Will report back in March when PTs start

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm

btw, how was sunday's session, everyone? was the flaw review helpful? i'm bummed i couldn't make it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Firework11

Bronze

Post by Firework11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Once my Princeton Review class starts on Sat. I will check in with TLS every 2 weeks.

During my off/on post to the forum, I wish everyone the BEST of luck.

Let's ROCK the June 2011 exam :D

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Well, today starts my preparation for the June test. Just got done with my diagnostic (the June 2007 test)...going in without having ever read any prep materials at all, I got 157. My goal is definitely to be near 180, so haha...guess I have a lot of work to do. Logic games was the worst for me, missed 14 out of 25.

I got the books in the pithypike guide and plan on trying to squeeze in a few hours of practice a day until the test.

I like to look at tests as personal adversaries. I compare doing good on them to literally kicking their ass, with full on violent visualizations. It's worked pretty well so far. So I'm looking at the LSAT as an extra cocky s.o.b. in a higher league than what I'm used to, and I must prepare and prove myself a la some cliche movie plot.

It begins.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Yassig wrote:
This statement almost made me want to cry. :shock:
Eichörnchen wrote:
Good luck! I'm taking my first PT since my diagnostic in about a week. Hopefully we'll both see major improvement!
Well, I just took PT 19 and got......a 160. As in the exact same as my diagnostic. :roll: But I wasn't too upset because I did get a -1 in LR2 with 3.5 minutes left over (yay!), and I got a -9 in RC because I made the rookie mistake of getting caught up on the science passage (2nd to last) and not realizing that I only left 1:20 for the entire last passage and Qs. Oops. However, LG kicked my ass. I got a -13. God I suck.

geverett

Bronze

Post by geverett » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Taking another timed PT today. PT61 here we come. Will let you know how I do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”