Let's hash this out

delusional

Let's hash this out

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:04 pm

For all the discussion about score releases, I have yet to see anything like this:

What exactly is the process for grading, entering, and releasing scores, and how does LSAC approach it?

Okay, it's Monday Februnember 9, and the test has been administered throughout the country. About 38,000 tests make their way back to Newtown, Pennsylvania. U.S. Mail? Armored truck? How long does it take? And how do the overseas and Sabbath tests affect things?

Back at LSAC headquarters, over the next few weeks, 40,000 tests need to be scantronned. How many people does that take? Do they keep and file paper copies? Manually verify every test? What does a scantron machine look like?

Theoretically, it's probably possible to automate every. Single. Aspect. of the whole process. But it's safe to say they don't. What is likely automatic, and what is less likely? I personally always envisioned that if a scantron saw two bubbles filled in, it would alert an attendant to check if one was an obvious erase. But I can't imagine doing that 40,000 times. Unless they have 600 employees.

Anyway, they get all the scores. Then they have to send them out. I have no experience with batch emailing. Do they flip a switch and go home? What possible point could there be in actively selecting 1 am to send scores? They always send them out early. Why? What do they gain? How do they coordinate this process?

Anyway, that should be enough to start a discussion.

Sandro

Re: Let's hash this out

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Its all a big secret !!! shhhhhh

Whatsawahooanyway

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:07 pm

I think WikiLeaks has found its new target.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Honestly, its all speculation. LSAC keeps the process under wraps and anyone who claims to have inside info is usually bluffing. Its a waiting game, there's no way to make it anything else without a verified, inside source.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 pm

mrtoren wrote:Honestly, its all speculation. LSAC keeps the process under wraps and anyone who claims to have inside info is usually bluffing. Its a waiting game, there's no way to make it anything else without a verified, inside source.

Do they actively keep it under wraps?

Does that make speculation and educated reconstruction illegal?

mandobob

Postby mandobob » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 pm

it must be automated because after you get your score you can opt (pay) to have it hand-graded

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:17 pm

mandobob wrote:it must be automated because after you get your score you can opt (pay) to have it hand-graded

Yes, but a. that could be a money maker just to reassure people. and b. with hand scoring, you can, to a limited extent, address misbubbling.

Also, they have to be somewhat automated; the question is exactly how much.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:17 pm

delusional wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Honestly, its all speculation. LSAC keeps the process under wraps and anyone who claims to have inside info is usually bluffing. Its a waiting game, there's no way to make it anything else without a verified, inside source.

Feel free to discuss it, but why waste the time? Nobody here can honestly answer any of the questions you have asked. We don't even have any information to base guesses off of, so they're not even educated. It's just speculation and rumor. Don't we have enough of that going around already?

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 pm

mrtoren wrote:
delusional wrote:

Feel free to discuss it, but why waste the time? Nobody here can honestly answer any of the questions you have asked. We don't even have any information to base guesses off of, so they're not even educated. It's just speculation and rumor. Don't we have enough of that going around already?

I'm sure we can gather enough information to start to reconstruct the process. Someone here must have been familiar with the latest trends in scantrons, kidded around with the proctor about mailing things, etc.

rachellynne

Postby rachellynne » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:21 pm

mrtoren wrote:
delusional wrote:

party foul :[

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Furthermore, it stands to reason that the scores may indeed be released later at night, if it's true that they want the office to be closed, and it's true that they're open late. It's the same phone lines that LSAC doesn't want blowing up, and they don't give a #### if you get your score at 3 am. Hmm. Wait, they do, because then you're opening the email just as they're opening for the day tomorrow.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Let me see.

I'm guessing the booklets are shipped back to LSAC HQ by a standard carrier (insured as "high value") and are then put into a scantron. Once all the tests have been scantroned the LSAC computers schedule a score release and send an email.

Shit, I revealed the secret. I guess the LSAC goon squad is coming for me.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:39 pm

what I want to know is what LSAC is doing RIGHT NOW (or earlier today). They can't still be scanning the test/grading them - no way.

How much more "work" is there to do after each test is scanned/graded ? I'm sure they get freaky deaky with their statistical analysis stuff but how long does that honestly take once all the scores are entered considering they do the same analysis for EVERY LSAT i'd imagine.

You have to imagine that our scores have been recorded/attached to our account for a little while now.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:08 am

it takes no more than a week and a half to get all the tests back from my experience with them in oct

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:19 am

One piece of this is no mystery--it's a common practice to send mass email transmissions in the middle of the night when server traffic is lower.

Anyone ever noticed how if you happen to be online right at 12:01 a.m. (or an hour later or earlier, depending on your time zone) you suddenly see bulk emails showing up in your inbox?

delusional

Postby delusional » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Bump, in case any Febbers are looking for distraction. Where do you think YOUR test is right now? And what exciting events does that little paper have to look forward to over the next couple weeks?

DarkPhantom

Postby DarkPhantom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 pm

delusional wrote:

Yes, I saw the wrapping paper. :mrgreen:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”