Am I doing this right? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
desiballa21

Bronze

Am I doing this right?

Post by desiballa21 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:01 pm

This upcoming spring semester I will be a first-semester Junior and am going to start prepping for the LSAT. I have asked around and the consensus from a lot of people has been that powerscores is one of the better LSAT prep classes so I will be taking that but I'm not sure when I should be doing that. Is it better to take an LSAT prep class right before you take the exam? I'm going to start prepping myself with LG/LR bibles for the next few months then take the LSAT course before finally taking the LSAT right after the course finishes. Does this seem like a good strategy?

Pleasye

Platinum

Re: Am I doing this right?

Post by Pleasye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:05 pm

desiballa21 wrote:This upcoming spring semester I will be a first-semester Junior and am going to start prepping for the LSAT. I have asked around and the consensus from a lot of people has been that powerscores is one of the better LSAT prep classes so I will be taking that but I'm not sure when I should be doing that. Is it better to take an LSAT prep class right before you take the exam? I'm going to start prepping myself with LG/LR bibles for the next few months then take the LSAT course before finally taking the LSAT right after the course finishes. Does this seem like a good strategy?
1) Junior year is a great time to prep for/take the LSAT

2) Powerscore has a good rep around here and I think it's a good choice for a course to take

3) When are you planning on taking the LSAT? Generally people will say it's best to take a course and give yourself some time AFTER the course to study on your own and then take the test. So for example, if you wanted to take the June test you should take a course in January/February (assuming it's one of those 3 month courses) and then study for all of April/May by yourself.

DamnLSAT

Bronze

Post by DamnLSAT » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 pm

The LR/LG bibles are extremely helpful, but I would have to say the order of studying is completely up to you... Do you think you have a strong grasp of the structure and type of Qs on the LSAT? If no, then the class would definitely be the first step I would take.

A further word of wisdom: You cannot start studying too early.

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:11 pm

I think I'm going to try for October 2011 and if I don't feel ready then December. There is an April class that I am looking to take. So it would be good to maybe start going through the LG/LR book and familiarizing myself with it for the next few months then take the class and continue studying after the class for October/December?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:14 pm

desiballa21 wrote:I think I'm going to try for October 2011 and if I don't feel ready then December. There is an April class that I am looking to take. So it would be good to maybe start going through the LG/LR book and familiarizing myself with it for the next few months then take the class and continue studying after the class for October/December?
Yeah that sounds like a good plan. I've heard that the Powerscore classes are essentially the same exact thing as the bibles but I'm not sure if this helps/hurts/doesn't matter. I think that if you lack the discipline to do things on your own a class is a great way to get started. The months after the classes should be spent drilling questions and taking lots and lots of practice tests.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:45 am

DamnLSAT wrote:A further word of wisdom: You cannot start studying too early.
Could not disagree more (based on 11 years as an LSAT teacher, tutor, teacher trainer and curriculum developer). There are many reasons that starting too early can be detrimental, including:

-limited number of relevant released exams
-inability to sustain regular focus over a long period of time
-the nature of the skills required (repetition-based and therefore rust quickly when study drops off or is interrupted)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”