Review my June 2011 Training Plan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
thegor1987

Bronze

Review my June 2011 Training Plan

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 am

I am stuck in the low 160s under completely honest test taking conditions. My goal for June is to answer every question correctly but will be satisfied with a 170+

A couple of years ago I went from a 139 diagnostic to 160 final with Kaplan. A year later I attempted again using a self study method (completed ~20 PTs) but failed to raise my score.

Here is my plan:

1.) Enroll in the Test Masters live class course in my area to begin at the start of April. (Self Study is not an option, my other class option is Kaplan or Princeton Review)

2.) Start of March. Make a stack of 20 games, copy each game 3X, go through 20 games per week for 3 weeks, note* 2nd and third weeks will be identical repeats of week 1. *Critical concern here*, Should I focus on consistency here? I want to do 4 games per day M-F no matter how tired I am, no matter what other exam I have to study for, no matter if I have to work or need exercise. I can appreciate consistency in a training plan but if I can't focus at the end of the week on Friday, should I move up the last 4 games for the week to Saturday, or should I train myself to focus under extreme conditions?

3.) After this I will be doing no more games except for those in PTs and TestMasters Diagnostic Exams.

4.) Take 1 PT on Tuesday every week. *Testmasters classes are Mon and Wed.

Any input is greatly appreciated

*edit: I also considered 2 PTs per week for part 4 of the plan but concerned about overkill leading to inefficiency

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: Review my June 2011 Training Plan

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:15 am

Seems fairly solid. I don't know what you'll be doing in the classes, but it might be worth it to do some timed sections of LR and RC in there somewhere. If I were you, I wouldn't stop doing games unless you're doing every game consistently at 100% accuracy in under 8 minutes. LG is a skill that seems to be use it or lose it for a lot of people (including myself). Also, remember that LG is the easiest section to panic on during the stress of the exam, so make sure you're really really solid before you stop practicing.

Also, again I don't know the classes schedules, but during the last month or so, I'd def do more than one PT a week. Probably not necessary before that.

octneedy

New

Post by octneedy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:59 am

I doubt doing each game 3x is going to help you too much. Testmasters gives you some techniques in diagramming games, so that might help you score better on the gaming section.

I recommend trying to do ALL the TM HW. It's all taken from old LSAT's anyways so you'll be learning from the direct source. Also, don't take a test a week until you've got the basics of the LSAT learned. Taking practice tests should be used for practicing timed sections and building your stamina.

Pay attention during the TM classes, you'll get some good advice for the day of the test as well.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:16 am

octneedy wrote:I doubt doing each game 3x is going to help you too much. Testmasters gives you some techniques in diagramming games, so that might help you score better on the gaming section.

I recommend trying to do ALL the TM HW. It's all taken from old LSAT's anyways so you'll be learning from the direct source. Also, don't take a test a week until you've got the basics of the LSAT learned. Taking practice tests should be used for practicing timed sections and building your stamina.

Pay attention during the TM classes, you'll get some good advice for the day of the test as well.
Different things work for different people. I highly recommend redoing the games. I already wrote about why in another thread, so I'll just link it here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140092

Miss Dalian

New

Post by Miss Dalian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Also, play lots of Sudoku and read lots of tough english books. My first language is not English, and games are like nothing I've ever seen b4. So I had to work on the base skills. Just focusing on the test won't let you improve after an initial bump. I think you should always work on the skills for a test (reading and puzzling) more so than actual test questions.

If you r good at English, you probably should focus on the puzzles. The reading sections are probably a given for you. But people who don't do a lot of math have trouble with the analytical puzzles. My ex boyfriend, who's American, studied for 3 months and still got like 16 or 17/22 on it. I was jealous though because he got almost perfect on reading and arguments from the beginning and he got into NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yzero1

Bronze

Post by yzero1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
octneedy wrote:I doubt doing each game 3x is going to help you too much. Testmasters gives you some techniques in diagramming games, so that might help you score better on the gaming section.

Different things work for different people. I highly recommend redoing the games. I already wrote about why in another thread, so I'll just link it here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140092
I also recommend redoing the games - with each redo, you'll see deeper inferences and eventually your speed will increase for all games (new and old). I redid most of the games from PT17-60 at least 2-3 times for October and it worked out pretty well for me.

Also, unlike LR and RC, you rarely actually remember the answers to LG questions when you redo them.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Redoing games is going to be a big change this time around. I have taken the test more than once with 160s but I have PT in low 170s which is why I am taking another serious attempt. This is also why I am I am in need of a unique training plan, because I am taking it under unique circumstances.

Since LR is 50% of the test I am considering for the 2 months of TestMasters doing 1 PT and 12 LR sections per week. It would keep the variety and focus on important questions.

When I self-studied last time I took the test I think I was overkilling doing PTs to the point where it was just getting to be ineffective so I am really cautious about doing that again.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:55 pm

seems solid. Make sure to review each game and question type as you go on to keep the material solid. Also, drill your problem areas to help increase your performance.

However, you may be close to your final peak since you have increased your diagnostic from 139 to 160. While you can get some more points hear and there, it may be impossible for you to increase your score to 170 orhigher. There is nothing wrong with that, and your increase in scores is fantastic! Just remember that everyone has a ceiling. If you are at a consistent score average ( both raw score and scaled) then your target should be within that range on the actual test day.
REmemebr: 90%+ of the testing population does not score above a 165. While a lot of posters on TLS have scored higher, its a self selecting group.

best of luck. Knock the test out of the park!

octneedy

New

Post by octneedy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

ok good point, different weak points require different techniques.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm

northwood wrote:seems solid. Make sure to review each game and question type as you go on to keep the material solid. Also, drill your problem areas to help increase your performance.

However, you may be close to your final peak since you have increased your diagnostic from 139 to 160. While you can get some more points hear and there, it may be impossible for you to increase your score to 170 orhigher. There is nothing wrong with that, and your increase in scores is fantastic! Just remember that everyone has a ceiling. If you are at a consistent score average ( both raw score and scaled) then your target should be within that range on the actual test day.
REmemebr: 90%+ of the testing population does not score above a 165. While a lot of posters on TLS have scored higher, its a self selecting group.

best of luck. Knock the test out of the park!

I do not believe that I have a peak which is going to be advantageous for me.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:47 pm

thegor1987 wrote:I want to do 4 games per day M-F no matter how tired I am, no matter what other exam I have to study for, no matter if I have to work or need exercise.
No, you don't. You really, really don't. If you're doing games when you're not clear, when you're tired or unfocused or distracted, you're not going to be thinking clearly and you're not going to be keeping your processes clean and you will ingrain bad habits and do more harm than good to your overall ability to tackle games.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:51 pm

I would do all the testmasters homework up until you start scoring in the mid 160's. Then do 2 pts a week and inbetween, do some testmasters homework and REVIEW the test. That last part is key. Write down what you did wrong. Write down what you did right. Write down everything. Review is the key.

josh43299

Bronze

Post by josh43299 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:52 pm

TLSanders wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:I want to do 4 games per day M-F no matter how tired I am, no matter what other exam I have to study for, no matter if I have to work or need exercise.
No, you don't. You really, really don't. If you're doing games when you're not clear, when you're tired or unfocused or distracted, you're not going to be thinking clearly and you're not going to be keeping your processes clean and you will ingrain bad habits and do more harm than good to your overall ability to tackle games.
Couldn't be more right. Staying consistently productive is one thing, attempting to be productive when it is impossible is another. It will only cause frustration and you feel like you are taking steps backwards. I felt like that was happening to me during the final weeks up to the Dec LSAT... not a good place to be in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”