Need February LSAT retake prep tips Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
applepiecrust

Bronze

Need February LSAT retake prep tips

Post by applepiecrust » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:30 pm

For a variety of reasons, I really put off putting in effort for studying for the February LSAT retake until just now. And I regret it.
So now I need to prep for it with just a month to go.

I had a 168 (-4 LG, -3 CR, -7 LR (5 and 2)) on my October'10 test but was PTing around 174.

What should/MUST I do to prep consistently and thoroughly for the February test and maximize my retake score?
LR seems to be the weakest here, but LG was the biggest dip (from -0 and the occasional -1 to -4, over 3 games).

Any advice would be appreciated, particularly what materials I should use, and what amount of time I should expect to spend on prep?

TLSanders

Bronze

Re: Need February LSAT retake prep tips

Post by TLSanders » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:34 am

applepiecrust wrote:LR seems to be the weakest here, but LG was the biggest dip (from -0 and the occasional -1 to -4, over 3 games).
Either way, LR is where you have the largest number of possible points to pick up during a short-term prep. Have you analyzed those questions that you missed, and those you were missing in practice, to figure out what they have in common?

dcgbm

New

Post by dcgbm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:00 am

i was in your same situation (was PTing higher than the score i actually got, signed up to retake, didn't begin prepping right away), and i ended up not doing any prep, just taking a full PT 3 or so days before the test. showed up, took it, and got the score i was PTing at.

at some point, you know what you're capable of, you know what to do, so i figured psyching myself out with more prep and more PTs was not the way to go. the test-day score you got was an aberration, so treat it like that and just make sure you're mentally ready to go in and perform like you know how to. perhaps just taking 1 practice test like I did was a bit extreme, but you get the point.

hope that helps, good luck!

benito

Bronze

Post by benito » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:28 pm

dcgbm wrote:i was in your same situation (was PTing higher than the score i actually got, signed up to retake, didn't begin prepping right away), and i ended up not doing any prep, just taking a full PT 3 or so days before the test. showed up, took it, and got the score i was PTing at.

at some point, you know what you're capable of, you know what to do, so i figured psyching myself out with more prep and more PTs was not the way to go. the test-day score you got was an aberration, so treat it like that and just make sure you're mentally ready to go in and perform like you know how to. perhaps just taking 1 practice test like I did was a bit extreme, but you get the point.

hope that helps, good luck!

I think thats excellent advice, I've been working on this test for awhile now and I've realized that every time I take a break from it for awhile, like after the October test I didn't look at anything LSAT related for three weeks, my score jumps. I was also PT'ing in the low 170's and got a 167 on the october test, now im PT'ing the mid to high 170's. Its instinct to try to ramp UP your work before the real thing and study more but I just don't think the kind of thinking required for this test is conducive to that. I would stop studying the last week completely and let your brain go into the test fresh and ready to work.

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 pm

We just wrote a blog post about this. --LinkRemoved-- Hope this helps. All the best whatever you decide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”