. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Re: Anyone ever taken the LSAT internationally?

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:34 pm

LSAC tries to keep everything as standardized as possible so I can't foresee there being any large discrepancies between being stateside and say Seoul perhaps. I have a buddy who just took the lsat in korea this december and said it went over just fine, apart from the usual mechanical pencil appearance and whatnot. You should be fine taking it there. Good Luck.

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:06 am

I just took the December LSAT in Shanghai. I flew there from another city in China 2 days before and scouted it out the day before the test. Everything was really well marked and with signs in English. I have heard that it is actually a different test they administer in Asia. Many of the questions the message boards were buzzing with the next day weren't on my test at all, like the "stained glass" question.

The room was cold...as insulation and indoor heat is iffy in Asia, as you probably know...I was in the first row and the test proctors were literally speaking in normal volume voices laughing and having a discussion, besides being unspeakably annoyed, I was shocked. I shot them a few looks but they seemed to be oblivious. They were also coming in and out of the classroom during the test, loudly closing the door and talking into the hallway. That was the craziest part of the experience to me. Luckily I think their conversation was mostly occuring while I was doing a logical reasoning section, which I usually have extra time left on. Had it been reading comp or games I would have thrown a pencil at them.

With that said, all and all I don't necessarily think I did significantly better or worse than I would have in the states. But I'll know for sure in a few hours....hopefully...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:13 am

I took the October test in Hong Kong. The facility was nice, and the proctors were professional. The head proctor misspoke a couple times about snacks and permissible items, but he corrected it quickly It was not different from when I took it in the states in any significant way

(Also, the HK facility in October was an exam giving place- that's what they do- so things went extra smoothly with room assignment and all)

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 am

A word of caution; the LSAT given outside of the US is undisclosed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dcgbm

New

Post by dcgbm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 am

i took it in the states and retook it in yonsei, there is no difference whatsoever. the proctors read the same things, timing is the same, they give you enough table space, write the times on the board, etc...

the only thing is like the guy above said you don't get to see the test afterwards and you have a diff. test than the US takers so you can't really obsess over what the exp. section was, but in terms of the test-taking situation its identical. i got a higher score in korea than the states so take that for what its worth hah

Miss Dalian

New

Post by Miss Dalian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 pm

I took it in Shanghai. The proctors made us give away our phones and pick them up after the test. I've never been to America, so I'm not sure about how it would be there. But it seemed to be ok. I thought I would be the only Chinese person taking it, but there were hundreds. I was so shocked. It was a different test, but it didn't feel a lot different than most of the practice tests I downloaded and did on my computer.

flirtiouspanda

New

Post by flirtiouspanda » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 pm

dcgbm wrote:i took it in the states and retook it in yonsei, there is no difference whatsoever. the proctors read the same things, timing is the same, they give you enough table space, write the times on the board, etc...

the only thing is like the guy above said you don't get to see the test afterwards and you have a diff. test than the US takers so you can't really obsess over what the exp. section was, but in terms of the test-taking situation its identical. i got a higher score in korea than the states so take that for what its worth hah
I'm planning to take it in China this year for my first time because of my job) but I only have been using the prep books that I bought in the states. If there's a different test for the takers overseas, what's the major difference compared to it in the states? Any different/additional sections?

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 pm

flirtiouspanda wrote:
dcgbm wrote:i took it in the states and retook it in yonsei, there is no difference whatsoever. the proctors read the same things, timing is the same, they give you enough table space, write the times on the board, etc...

I'm planning to take it in China this year for my first time because of my job) but I only have been using the prep books that I bought in the states. If there's a different test for the takers overseas, what's the major difference compared to it in the states? Any different/additional sections?
No difference in format. The questions are different.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:14 am

I'll be taking the LSAT in Shanghai as well. From what it sounds like from the two previous Shanghai test takers, the proctors are sort of disruptive and the room is huge (hundreds of test takers). So, would it be beneficial to sit as far back as possible or was the talking, etc so loud it really doesn't matter? I love living in China, but I won't lie, I am a bit anxious about taking a really important standardized test here...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:30 am

tdicks wrote:I'll be taking the LSAT in Shanghai as well. From what it sounds like from the two previous Shanghai test takers, the proctors are sort of disruptive and the room is huge (hundreds of test takers). So, would it be beneficial to sit as far back as possible or was the talking, etc so loud it really doesn't matter? I love living in China, but I won't lie, I am a bit anxious about taking a really important standardized test here...
We had a ton of people in one room too, but seats were assigned just like they were in the US administration I took. So, that probably won't help too much :-(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”