6 weeks left Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
runningzigzag

New

6 weeks left

Post by runningzigzag » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:31 pm

My original plan was to study for the LSAT starting 2 weeks ago...unfortunately, I ended up very ill and in the hospital for the last 2 weeks. This leaves me 6 weeks till my February LSAT date...can I make it? I wanted to have 2 months...but unfortunately life happens :(

My diagnostic score was low, but that was because I had to hurry up and finish. My accuracy is very good, but I just need to get my speed up and I will be set...

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: 6 weeks left

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm

runningzigzag wrote:My original plan was to study for the LSAT starting 2 weeks ago...unfortunately, I ended up very ill and in the hospital for the last 2 weeks. This leaves me 6 weeks till my February LSAT date...can I make it? I wanted to have 2 months...but unfortunately life happens :(

My diagnostic score was low, but that was because I had to hurry up and finish. My accuracy is very good, but I just need to get my speed up and I will be set...
Can you push it back to June? You're going to be retaking then anyway.

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:05 pm

runningzigzag wrote:My original plan was to study for the LSAT starting 2 weeks ago...unfortunately, I ended up very ill and in the hospital for the last 2 weeks. This leaves me 6 weeks till my February LSAT date...can I make it? I wanted to have 2 months...but unfortunately life happens :(

The problem is, really, that you don't know the material well enough. Nobody has trouble with time per se, the problem really is merely that you don't know the material well enough and have to struggle over it to get questions correct.

Also, A diagnostic score being "low" doesn't really say very much. Low is a relative term. If you are in the 130's and want to get to the 150's, you will have a much more difficult time than if you start in the 150's and want to get into the 170's.

Can you make it in 6 weeks? Yes. Will it be difficult? Yes. You may want to get a tutor or go for a quick last-minute course as well.

runningzigzag

New

Post by runningzigzag » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:16 pm

I think you're right...I am going to buckle down in 6 weeks and go for it.

Retaking in June is NOT an option. Plus, I'm only shooting for a T-3 or T-4.

Thank you again
NYCLSATTutor wrote:

The problem is, really, that you don't know the material well enough. Nobody has trouble with time per se, the problem really is merely that you don't know the material well enough and have to struggle over it to get questions correct.

Also, A diagnostic score being "low" doesn't really say very much. Low is a relative term. If you are in the 130's and want to get to the 150's, you will have a much more difficult time than if you start in the 150's and want to get into the 170's.

Can you make it in 6 weeks? Yes. Will it be difficult? Yes. You may want to get a tutor or go for a quick last-minute course as well.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Find out the latest date to cancel or postpone the test. Take a test the day before. Study up before then. If you dont like the test result, postpone the test until june, and continue studying. If you like your score, then keep the date, and continue studying. You only want to take this test once, and taking it in february means that you wont know anything other than your score and percentile ( its not disclosed). If you are unhappy with your scoring range then dont take the test ( worst case scenario is you lose the money and have an absence. if you postpone the test you can save some money i think). Dont take the test if you feel unprepared, or inadequately prepared for it. A lot of people here have studied for 3 months or more- and even then 3 months might not be enough. There are some really awesome study guides that you can use, or modify as you like. Make sure you have all of the prep materials and full length prep tests ( 5 sections) at your disposal right now.

Get healthy, and stay healthy. Your health is important, and will be a big influence on your test performance. If you need more time to get over your illness, make that a priority now, and put off studying until then. It may make you have to postpone the test, but its worth it in the long run. best of luck. happy new year and cheers

Why is June not an option? It would give you a lot of time to prep, and to make a final school decision. Sure you willhave to put your life and plans on hold for a year ( and have to work some sort of lame job), but you dont want to rush this process

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:28 pm

As northwood asked, why is postponing until the June test not an option?

Waiting until mid December to start prepping for the Feb test in order to apply this cycle for fall 2011 admission indicates that you just recently came up with the idea of going to law school and are trying to rush into it last minute. If that is the case I suggest you do a LOT more research about what going to LS entails, the fierce competition you face, current career prospects with a J.D., the state of the current job market for fresh LS grads/newly minted lawyers (especially about how much influence the quality/rank of the LS you attend has on post grad opportunities and potential salary), etc.

Unless you have some sort of a connection that guarantees you a good job that pays well once you have a J.D. even if it is from a T3 or T4 LS, I highly recommend you think about this a lot more before trying to rush into racking up well over $100k in debt without having a good, well thought out long term plan.

Have you thought about these types of things much? Getting a J.D. is very expensive and far from being a 'get rich quick with a secure high paying job/career after graduation' type of thing. Currently, graduates from T3 and T4 LS's have been finding it nearly impossible to find legal jobs. Even recent graduates from T1 and T2 schools have been finding it difficult to secure decent legal jobs.

Think it through and seriously consider postponing until the June test so that if you are really dedicated to a career in law you will have time to lock in a good LSAT score in order to be able to attend well ranked school. Your LSAT score and the rank of the resulting LS you attend has a HUGE amount of influence on your career prospects and future finances (like being able to make the student loan payments after graduation).

If you don't get in and start LS this fall will you turn into a pumpkin or something? Why can't you wait a year to do it right?
runningzigzag wrote:I think you're right...I am going to buckle down in 6 weeks and go for it.

Retaking in June is NOT an option. Plus, I'm only shooting for a T-3 or T-4.

Thank you again
NYCLSATTutor wrote:

NYCcops

New

Post by NYCcops » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:19 pm

You can do it. I know people who studied for under a month and got in the low 160s. I also know one girl who did not study and got a 165.

TheTallOne0602

New

Post by TheTallOne0602 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:57 pm

NYCcops wrote:You can do it. I know people who studied for under a month and got in the low 160s. I also know one girl who did not study and got a 165.
I would guess from the OP's dissapointment in his diagnostic that this would be unlikely.

jblev1

New

Post by jblev1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:19 pm

You can do it in 6 weeks, easy. Just take the practice tests, and look at the answers you got wrong and figure out why you got them wrong. At least 3 of these tests and you should be a little prepared at least. And learn the LG section well. It is the easiest to master, just buy the Logic Games Bible. And go for the easy answers, LSAC is not trying to trick you, once you have learned the basics, anyways.

And don't shoot for a t3 or t4! Shoot for the top! A near perfect score!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:54 pm

jblev1 wrote:You can do it in 6 weeks, easy.
ok :? . You watching new years bowl games, drinking and your team is doing really well or something?

Seriously, it's not easy and we don't even know what 'do it' means in terms of score goal and needed score improvement for this person.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 am

TheTallOne0602 wrote:
NYCcops wrote:You can do it. I know people who studied for under a month and got in the low 160s. I also know one girl who did not study and got a 165.
I would guess from the OP's dissapointment in his diagnostic that this would be unlikely.
Actually, someone whose accuracy is good but can't get through a section at the outset has an excellent chance of making a quick improvement. Familiarity with the question types, repetition, and some time management skills can make a significant difference in score for a student with that starting profile.

runningzigzag

New

Post by runningzigzag » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Even with 6 weeks to go? Thats what I'm aiming for.
TLSanders wrote:
TheTallOne0602 wrote:
Actually, someone whose accuracy is good but can't get through a section at the outset has an excellent chance of making a quick improvement. Familiarity with the question types, repetition, and some time management skills can make a significant difference in score for a student with that starting profile.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”