50-50
5%
No
32%

Total votes: 19

lawschooliseasy

Transfer from T30?

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Top 5% at T30. Goal: appellate clerkship followed by biglaw in a market relatively close to my T30. I currently have a partial scholarship and am paying $25k/year.

megaTTTron

Re: Transfer from T30?

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Wrong forum.
Scholarship info is irrelevant to you chances.
And yes, you have a good shot if your grades stay the same.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Sorry re: forum. Not asking about chances, asking about if I should do it or not should I have the opportunity.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Sorry re: forum. Not asking about chances, asking about if I should do it or not should I have the opportunity.

Worthless speculation is worthless without 2nd semester grades.

iceland

Postby iceland » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:07 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Sorry re: forum. Not asking about chances, asking about if I should do it or not should I have the opportunity.

:?:
Last edited by iceland on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 pm

rad law wrote:

Worthless speculation is worthless without 2nd semester grades.

How many people get 1st semester and 2nd semester grades that are widely discrepant? Also, thinking of ED to Chicago, which only requires 1st semester grades.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Oh. Okay. Much tougher call. I picked transferring (t30, t10%, I wanted out of market biglaw/ clerkship transferred to CCN). Got biglaw SA in desired market, waiting on grades to gage COA chances.

So I say bounce to CCN (but it depends on where your t30 is in relation to Chi or CN. But if they up your scholly, it's a closer call.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:13 pm

megaTTTron wrote:

Oh. Okay. Much tougher call. I picked transferring (t30, t10%, I wanted out of market biglaw/ clerkship transferred to CCN). Got biglaw SA in desired market, waiting on grades to gage COA chances.

So I say bounce to CCN (but it depends on where your t30 is in relation to Chi or CN. But if they up your scholly, it's a closer call.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any idea how clerkship opportunities differ between CCN and top 5% in T30? This would be my primary motivation for transferring.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:19 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any idea how clerkship opportunities differ between CCN and top 5% in T30? This would be my primary motivation for transferring.

Generally, clerkship opportunities are FAR better at CCN. CCN has national reach. A t30 in VA will not get you a clerkship on the 9th Cir. CCN would. All of this is, of course, dependent on doing well at CCN. Traditionally Chicago is a clerkship powerhouse. If, in your case, you want to clerk in your T30's state, it might be worth it to stay. But it, again, depends on where your T30 is.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:29 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Generally, clerkship opportunities are FAR better at CCN. CCN has national reach. A t30 in VA will not get you a clerkship on the 9th Cir. CCN would. All of this is, of course, dependent on doing well at CCN. Traditionally Chicago is a clerkship powerhouse. If, in your case, you want to clerk in your T30's state, it might be worth it to stay. But it, again, depends on where your T30 is.

So odds may be quite good that I could land something in the COA in my state's circuit, but outside of that opportunities dwindle? Any idea where in the class you have to be in CCN to be competitive for COA? Thank you!

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:38 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:So odds may be quite good that I could land something in the COA in my state's circuit, but outside of that opportunities dwindle? Any idea where in the class you have to be in CCN to be competitive for COA? Thank you!

I'm not sure. I would guess that you could get away with being lower in the class at CCN, but still, probably not very far. I'm just guessing, I'm sure someone else on here has more concrete numbers. There are several clerks on TLS, search the forums. I know one COA clerk, who is TOP of the class at Chicago (like TIPPY TOP of the class--we don't rank so I can't give you a %). This kid is also clerking on the 7th, which is fucking UNREAL, so you may not need to be that high the class to clerk on other circuits.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”