studying with older tests

senorhosh

studying with older tests

Postby senorhosh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 am

I've been studying with tests from around '97-'99.
Will my scores accurately reflect what I would get with recent tests?
If not, how different are these tests than more recent ones? Thanks

birdlaw117

Re: studying with older tests

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:18 am

The older tests are, in my opinion, quite a bit easier than the recent ones. However, they are a good place to start your studying if you plan on doing a LOT of PTs (which I suggest). For me (I took 30ish PTs), starting with the old ones and then moving to the newer ones showed me how much harder the test has gotten. However, by doing this you are gradually increasing the difficulty of the tests you are taking. My scores went up marginally from the first 10 PTs I took (Avg of 168-169) to the last 10 PTs I took (Avg of 173, which ended up being my actual score). My raw LSAT skills probably improved significantly more than the 4-5 points than that increase would suggest, however.

Basically, the newer tests are harder, particularly the LG section is much tougher now than it was 10+ years ago. Your scores on old tests will be slightly artificially increased. Another thing to take note of is the curve has gone down over the last 10 years as well. It used to be common (ish) for a -15 curve, now that would be a miracle and single digit curves are not unheard of.

TL;DR: New PTs > Old PTs, but old PTs can be useful for studying (particularly to break up and use for drills, although I never did that).

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:23 am

I think that reading comp. sections have gotten harder since then. Preptest 24 was the easiest one for me out of those years so if you fared exceptionally well on that one, don't get too excited.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:27 am

well-hello-there wrote:I think that reading comp. sections have gotten harder since then. Preptest 24 was the easiest one for me out of those years so if you fared exceptionally well on that one, don't get too excited.

Yeah, RC has gotten quite a bit tougher the last 3-4 years. Really, each section has gotten tougher. I just mentioned LG because I think practicing on the old ones isn't very helpful because they types of games have changed significantly. RC and LR still use the same question/passage types, they just seem to have more hard ones. LG has a lot more hybrid games lately, the old PTs didn't do that hardly ever, or at least not complicated hybrids that required tons of hypos.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:I think that reading comp. sections have gotten harder since then. Preptest 24 was the easiest one for me out of those years so if you fared exceptionally well on that one, don't get too excited.

Yeah, RC has gotten quite a bit tougher the last 3-4 years. Really, each section has gotten tougher. I just mentioned LG because I think practicing on the old ones isn't very helpful because they types of games have changed significantly. RC and LR still use the same question/passage types, they just seem to have more hard ones. LG has a lot more hybrid games lately, the old PTs didn't do that hardly ever, or at least not complicated hybrids that required tons of hypos.

You need to have done all the games from the past 5 years for sure but I think that those older games can help you learn some necessary LG skills that are applicable to almost every game.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:33 am

Where can I get newer versions of these tests?
I know there's one on the LSAC site, but any more?
The most recent "actual LSAT test" book on Amazon seems to be 2007.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:36 am

You'll have to order all of the newest ones individually. The last group of collected PTs stops at #38 and we're currently approaching test #63.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:38 am

senorhosh wrote:I know there's one on the LSAC site, but any more?

For me, that was the easiest LSAT out of them all.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:40 am

vissidarte27 wrote:You'll have to order all of the newest ones individually. The last group of collected PTs stops at #38 and we're currently approaching test #63.

I took a Kaplan class and they gave me PDF's of every prep test.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 am

well-hello-there wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:You'll have to order all of the newest ones individually. The last group of collected PTs stops at #38 and we're currently approaching test #63.

I took a Kaplan class and they gave me PDF's of every prep test.

Hi, my name is JEALOUS.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 am

well-hello-there wrote:
senorhosh wrote:I know there's one on the LSAC site, but any more?

For me, that was the easiest LSAT out of them all.

Darn it. I was hoping on using that test as benchmark to see where I'm at.
Anyone else agree with this?

On older tests, I've been getting ~167. What do you think I would get on newer ones?.. Which brings me to my next question: since the tests are harder and are on a different curve, wouldn't scores be roughly the same? If not, how much of a difference do you guys think there is?

Thanks

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:23 am

They are beneficial, just not as much as the most recent pts because of the slight variations in question types

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 am

Also the older tests seem easier because the prep companies have based their materials on previous lsats - so while some older tests might have had a generous curve for those taking it in 97, rest assured they did not have the powerscore bibles and thus their curve isnt indicative of todays takers.

Atleast older LG you could find inferences, albeit much harder. Todays LG asks you to restart the problem each question. f that.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:56 am

LR has changed significantly IMO. I remember a week before the December test I took PT 57 (which had 2 tough LR sections) and an experimental LR from the late 30's. I got a 175 on the PT with -4 LR, but got -9 on the experimental LR. Up to that point I had only been doing PT's 40+, and while going through the section I noticed that it felt different.

My advice is go from old tests to new tests, while trying to notice the different ways that they try to trick you. LR's now are loaded with justify the principal, assumption and flaw questions compared to 10 years ago when strength/weaken and conclusion questions were dominant.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”